Daylight: Hinterland’s Long Dark Funded And Then Some

By Nathan Grayson on October 17th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Kickstarter can rattle your faith in humanity a little sometimes. The Long Dark, for instance, seemingly had everything. An intriguing premise, wild ambition, and the legacy triple-A chops to pull it off. And yet, despite all that, potential backers passed it by for weeks, leaving it cold, starving, and alone. It just wanted a hug, you guys. Well, that and $200,000. Fortunately, with only a few days left on the clock, Long Dark hobbled past its goal, and now its crowdfunding drive has closed out with a grand total of $$256,217 in Canadian monetary units. What happens now? Er, in a rather Star-Citizen-esque move, more funding apparently.

Hinterland, naturally, is quite pleased. So said creative director Raphael van Lierop:

“We couldn’t be happier. We have nearly 7,000 incredible supporters at the heart of a growing Hinterland community. It’s been an intense time, and the team deserves a rest, but we’re ready to get back to working on the game. Expectations and anticipation couldn’t be higher. We’re focused and determined to create something that lives up to those expectations.”

While Long Dark’s final days were a bit of a photo finish, it did manage to scuttle past some stretch goals. Specifically, the final game will now include double the amount of music on its soundtrack, and backers will receive a downloadable graphic novel. But that’s apparently just the beginning. This whole Kickstarter was, in fact. Hinterland’s decided to swipe a page from Star Citizen’s playbook, so crowdfunding will continue indefinitely on the game’s site – stretch goals and all.

Long Dark is currently planned to release in fall 2014. Did you back it? Recently? If so, why’d you wait?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. GameCat says:

They will have David “Big Boss/Solid Snake” Hayter as voice actor.

2. Shaun239 says:

This is one of the only games that has sneaked past my KS fatigue lately. Unfortunately, I’m too poor to back it but I really hope it’s a success.

The only other KS game I have an interest in is The Mandate, not sure if I saw it here so:

Unfortunately, these two projects seem to be struggling in comparison to City of Titans, where the devs seem to have almost no idea of what is actually achievable. Some of their comments have been utterly ridiculous; it really does seem like Lore all over again – only this time with actual funding.

• Ross Angus says:

Pah – when I heard you mention “The Mandate”, I hoped it was a sequel to Robert Yang’s Polaris.

• The Random One says:

Similarly, my reminder email today tells me Citizens of Earth is only about 35% funded. What? What?

Don Reba says:

It was an exceptionally well-conducted kickstarter, too: constant new press exposure, regular updates, contests, pleasant and responsive communication with fans. I’m guessing, being on the Canadian Kickstarter, without Amazon Payments or Paypal, is a major liability.

4. remoteDefecator says:

Only heard about this the other day, and if I had any cash I’d have backed it. Looks very appealing though, definitely looking forward to it.

5. engion3 says:

this looks pretty awesome.

6. Jason Moyer says:

I think this game looks phenomenal, and I’m genuinely surprised I never see anyone talking about it. On the other hand, I’m kind of concerned about a team of unknowns making an open-world survival game with $200k.

Don Reba says:

They received $1,000,000 from the Canada Media Fund, so the total budget is about $1.3M.

• Whiskey Jak says:

I’m confused; these guys are hardly “unknowns”, mostly (if not all) veterans. They may not be the ones PR has put forward for interviews and such, but that doesn’t make them inexperienced. And regarding open worlds, one of the latest games that Raph worked on is FC3. He wasn’t there at launch but still his contribution is part of the game that is FC3. And yes, I’m in the “FC3 is a great game” group.

7. Voronwer says:

I thought it looked amazing and would have backed in an instant if it hadn’t been first person. I have too much experience getting motion sick from first person that I stay away from them.

8. jonahcutter says:

Backed it the first day, and I’m a bit nervous it can’t live up to my level of anticipation for it. It sounds to be just about my ideal game. We’ll see.

I don’t know why more, if not all, crowd-funded games don’t leave their funding open after the KS/IndieGoGo wraps.

9. CookPassBabtridge says:

Maybe its just the mood I’m in at the moment, but the gameplay footage, combined with the weary tone of the dev commentary, all made for an extremely depressing and oppressive experience and not one I can really see myself wanting to go for. I think at the moment what I need is a John Walker Jelly Gun. Being fired by a pink horse. At a baby turtle. Who eats the jelly and cries with joy.

Don Reba says:

Seems relevant:

The “Laundry” is Britain’s super-secret agency devoted to protecting the realm from the supernatural horrors that menace it. Now Bob Howard, Laundry agent, must travel to the quiet English countryside to deal with an outbreak of one of the worst horrors imaginable. For, as it turns out, unicorns are real. They’re also ravenous killers from beyond spacetime…