Steam Age: New Age of Empires 2 Expansion Released

By Graham Smith on November 8th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Of course, I always preferred Command & Conquer.

Alright, I take it all back. Maybe Microsoft really are going to deliver more PC games. Though this is an odd place to start.

Available to buy from Steam as of yesterday, Age of Empires 2: The Forgotten is the first Age of Empires 2 expansion in 14 years.

Based on a mod called Forgotten Empires, which was released last year, The Forgotten HD is a mixture of new content and modernization. New content like five new civilizations, game modes called Treaty and Capture the Relic, and four new campaigns, including one based on the Fall of Rome and another based on… Dracula.

This isn’t a trick, by the way. I checked.

The modernization parts include a ‘Ludicrous’ map size four times larger than any previous possible map, the population limit raised to 1000, AI which no longer relies on resource cheats to provide a decent challenge, Steam Workshop support and Twitch.tv integration. There’s a more detailed list of additions on the Steam page.

The expansion is DLC for Age of Empires 2 HD, which was released on Steam earlier this year.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. lautalocos says:

that was unexpected.

• Sharon says:

Im making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do,…..http://goo.gl/uZpmvQ

• Sigh says:

I’m making over $8k a month tracking down comment spammers and slamming a delicious large whip cream pie in their face Three Stooges style. It has changed my life.

• serioustiger says:

I make over 12k a month tracking down people who track down people who… fuck it, no, I don’t. I make over 12k a month as a VP for a large research organisation. My bad. As you were.

• JonnyBase says:

Ahh that made me giggle! Many thanks xx

• hotmaildidntwork says:

But how have you been able to gain funding from that activity?

• Sigh says:

hotmaildidntwork

I will send you the bank account information where you can deposit $8k which should just about take care of the pie purchasing and travel expenses so that I can pie that gentleman spammer upstream. Thanks!

• Sigh says:

It will change your life.

2. biz says:

AoE2 is pretty well-respected in the RTS community
    kind of sucks that this release was butchered so hard.

I guess that’s what happens when you have producers who don’t understand what a RTS game is about and a bunch of newbs put in charge of balancing

3. Kelron says:

You made a typo. The new map size is actually “LudaKRIS”.

4. Nim says:

The what of the who of the why now?!

5. Ako says:

So much love.

6. Leb says:

Although it had some release troubles, AO2HD has been something I love to load up now and go through the same campaigns I did 10~ years ago as a kid. Nostalgiaaaaaa

7. Solidstate89 says:

Of course, I always preferred Command & Conquer.

You are literally worse than Hitler.

8. fistoblitzkrieg says:

A little disheartening to see a free mod being sold for $10. AoE2HD was already grossly overpriced too boot.

• Carra says:

I’m thinking steam sales this winter.

• Lemming says:

Did you read the article correctly? Because it’s not just the mod thrown up on Steam.

• LordGravewish says:

The trouble is, most of that functionality is already provided by the mod (since it includes Userpatch). The only things missing in the mod are basically Steam Workshop, Steam Trading Cards, Twitch.TV support, the new campaigns, and a few differences in the new civilizations.

As someone merely interested in the multiplayer, there’s almost no reason to pay extra to play this version instead of the original one with the mod…

Also, the mod supports LAN, while this release doesn’t, which is a deal-breaker for me.

9. Baines says:

Missing from the article is the addition of Steam trading cards.

• RedViv says:

Steam Trading Cards, and the mentioning thereof, are never missing. In fact, if you hit the existence of Steam Trading Cards with a History Deletion Ray, they would be one of the things in this world that would not even have people staring for a few milliseconds from the aftershock of such an incredibly scientific operation.

10. Dances to Podcasts says:

I choose to believe this was made way back when and they had simply forgotten to release it, hence the title.

11. kevinspell says:

So, does this mean old games will now start getting DLC too? Wolf 3D extinction mode? Cosmetic skins for pong? Asteroids story expansion DLC?

• LordGravewish says:

Age of Empires 2 still has a huge community and is pretty well respected, including some fan-made patches that basically add all (and more) functionality than the official HD remake, so it’s not a huge surprise they’re trying to milk it again.

• Solidstate89 says:

Unless those get HD re-releases like Age of Empires II, the answer is obviously no.

12. LordGravewish says:

Still no LAN support?

I’ll keep playing my original version of AoE2, patched with the free user update Userpatch predating the HD version that fixes even more things than the remake, with the free Forgotten Empires mod this expansion is based on. Also, it has LAN mode. Funny how the HD version doesn’t since they share code-base, so it actually was more work to remove the feature than to leave it in.

Not like I care much about the Steam Workshop support or the Trading Cards, and LAN support is a deal-breaker for me and my friends (since we only play AoE2 during our monthly LANs, many times without a decent internet connection).

13. GuillaumeJ says:

Age of Mythology ?

14. Muctla722 says:

This is fantastic. Google is paying 80$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. Yesterday I bought a top of the range Lancia after having made $9458 this month . Its the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://ow.ly/qBwvs

15. darkath says:

I’d wager there’s no vampires nor sparkles in the Dracula campaign, for it seems to be about Vlad Draculesti, aka the Impaler, ruler of Wallachia (present-day Romania), whose name was used by Bram Stoker for Dracula.

16. Text_Fish says:

My god, they actually broke AoE II. And I don’t mean in a balancing way. They just broke it. I started a random map, islands, LudaKRIS (lame) size and three AI teams. 10 minutes in I started wondering why the hell I hadn’t come across any enemy fishing ships but put it down to the truly LudaKRISness of the map size. Then I get to imperial age and find that I can research spies for just 2500GP — did the enemy players kill each other? No. It turns out they just did nothing, save for send their scout around their island for the obligatory exploration points. The villagers were standing exactly in the same position they’d started the game about 30 minutes in to it.

Bravo Microsoft, bravo. The only way you can make this better is to reassemble Ensemble.

Comment on this story