Plants Vs Zombies: GW Goes Battlefield In New Mode

By Nathan Grayson on December 18th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

These are staring eyes so potent that, even when they're not looking right at you, they're totally looking right at you.

I sure do love the fact that Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare is suffering an arbitrary delay on PC. Makes savoring each promotional morsel all the sweeter, yes indeed. Who needs dumb anchors like a release date and payoff when you can praise the heavens for every little crumb that tumbles your way instead? Wait, no, the other thing: ugggggggggggggggggggghhhhh.

Oh but Garden Warfare’s Battlefield-inspired Gardens and Graveyards mode looks kinda neat I guess.

It’s a capture and objective-based mode set on larger maps, but with a sunflower seed sprinkle of PvZ-style tower defense thrown in for good measure. As producer Brian Lindley explained:

“G&G is a bit of a mix between of Battlefield’s Rush and Conquest modes, intertwined with some tower defense elements similar to the original PvZ, supporting up to 24 players per session. The setup is pretty simple – Zombies have a limited amount of time to try to capture the garden bases and turn them into graveyards. These garden bases will be defended and fortified by the plant team, but if the zombies manage to capture a base, they can use the newly captured graveyard as their base and the battle shifts to a new objective at a different location in the map. The maps in G&G are quite large in scale, and as the battle progresses through the different base objectives, the scenery and action gets crazier and crazier.”

Combat looks as colorfully kooky as ever, and teamwork is simple but also a necessary step toward surefire success. I see potential for at least a modicum of dumb fun here, but first I will have to wait my turn like a good little PC gamer. The twin evidences that Microsoft failed both math and spelling classes are getting Garden Warfare on February 20th, but PC is penciled in for the ever-popular date of “later.”

Maybe one day EA and Microsoft will learn that this archaic practice doesn’t really make any sense, but that day is still yet to come. Right now, they’re still trying to figure out how to launch primarily multiplayer games without crippling bugs that continue on for months. Yeah, we might be here for a while. Here’s hoping Garden Warfare doesn’t inherit that nasty little habit from Battlefield.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Squirrelfanatic says:

That field of view.

2. Ergates_Antius says:

On the one hand – does the world really need another shooter? Is this really the best direction that PvZ could have gone?
    On the other hand – this might just be batshit insane enough to pull it off.

• Shodex says:

I think the worst thing this game could have done was directly parody, that’s sealed it’s fate. Why play that game that parodies CoD and BF if you can just play CoD or BF? If you’re looking for a kid friendly shooter, would you buy him a game that directly references not so kid friendly shooters?

The concept was novel and we all giggled when they released the first trailer, but I doubt anyone has any intention of really playing it for any length of time.

• Turkey says:

I have no problem picturing a nerd dad buying his kid a kid-friendly parody of BF.

Also, I just look at Popcap as the company that makes grindy, addictive games, and making modern multiplayer games is just a new avenue for them to make that stuff. I don’t think it’s that crazy for them to make this when you think of all the unlocks and achievements this game is likely to have you chase.

• KevinLew says:

Maybe it’s because I’m a bitter cynic, but I seriously want EA to keep doing this. I want them to take Plants vs. Zombies and make spinoffs of every IP they own just to see what kind of terrible games can come out of them. I want them to make a real-time strategy game called Command And Farmer. It would be the Global Plant Initiative versus the Brotherhood of Zom. Imagine if SimCity had a PvZ tie-in. All the pathing issues and other problems could have been blamed on “zombie A.I.”

3. LionsPhil says:

I must protest this flagrant abuse of the Staring Eyes tag.

(And an AYB reference? In 2013? Has enough time passed that that’s become cool again?)

4. MeestaNob says:

Origin. :(

5. baby snot says:

Nice to see the y-axis get some love about 3 minutes in.

6. Christo4 says:

While i do like shooters, why does this look so generic and similar to battlefield heroes…
    I mean, you have plants versus zombies, i’m pretty sure they could have made the combat and weapons/abilities much more interesting that battlefield heroes with a reskin…

• LionsPhil says:

It’s EA. It’s not impossible that the project implementation plan is “take Battlefield Heroes and replace all the assets”, like a total conversion mod.

7. Sinnorfin says:

in the original game it made some sense. Plants were static, zombies are mostly slow they rely on their brainless wit. Now here are jumping plants, and zombies with machineguns. Themepark multiplayer shooter and no more..

• PopeRatzo says:

Themepark multiplayer shooter and no more…

What more could you want? Not every game can be 2D survival horror early access stealth procedurally-generated platformers with hipster music.

• Fumarole says:

To be fair, the first game had zeds driving Zambonis.

8. Tei says:

I don’t understand the mechanic of reviving undead.

• LionsPhil says:

…the zombie healers really should have been necromancers reforming the dead, mottled flesh back into shambling arcane abominations, shouldn’t they?

Just think—a cartoon class-based shooter where you can revive someone who has been gibbed! Or several someones. As long as there are at least two legs in there, does it really matter whose they were?

9. aliksy says:

It’s EA. I have very low expectations.

10. DeathRow says:

I have to say that the shooting sounds very good. The guns actually sound like they have weight behind them.

11. ZHat11 says:

Peter`s artlclee is exceptional… I just bought a brand new Lotus Carlton after earning $9041 this-last/month and-also, $10 thousand this past munth. it’s realy the nicest-job I’ve ever done. I began this six months/ago and almost straight away startad making minimum $73, per-hr. find out here http://www.Buzz95.com

12. bongosabbath says:

I’m actually digging this. The art is clean, characters are easily distinguishable and all seem to have their own well-defined roles, and the sound effects are… poppy. And COLORS! Colors make me buy games. I might go play a little Battlefield Heroes now.

13. Frank says:

Buh. How is this not free-to-play?

• KirbyEvan says:

Maybe because they have a well designed team based FPS and want to sell the finished, well-made product that they have?

Not every game has to be in the F2P ghetto, it’s people like you complaining about games not being F2P and then whining when every game is F2P because you won’t support any developers.