Apparently We Won’t Hear About Fallout 4 For ‘A While’

By Nathan Grayson on February 18th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

Guess it's time to replay Fallout 3 and New Vegas with tons of mods. Again.

It’s incredibly odd talking to a high-profile game developer when they can tell you very nearly nothing. It’s akin to squeezing lemonade from a lemon husk that’s been sitting in an open garbage bin for upwards of a year. All that comes out is dust and lemon-scented whispers of “no comment.” But Bethesda’s case is special. The complete and total lack of any sort of Fallout 4 announcement has become the thing that people are talking about. And when they’re not doing that, they’re making hyper-elaborate bogus ARGs about it and registering false trademarks. So when Bethesda game director Todd Howard approached me on the D.I.C.E. red carpet, that’s exactly what I asked him about. Here’s what he told me.

“The ARG was very, very well done,” he chuckled. “It’s a testament to our fans. And they’re doing that stuff and making mods. The stuff they do, we often look at and go, ‘Well, why don’t we just do that? That’s really great.’”

But surely an announcement is just around the corner, right? Right? That’s where things get strange. While one might expect Bethesda to be gearing up for a big reveal, Howard sure made it sound like very little is on the horizon for the time being. Things, he seemed to suggest, are still in a rather experimental phase.

“We don’t [have a timeframe for our next game announcement],” he said, “but I think it’s gonna be a while.”

“We’ve gotten fairly used to all the questions and curiosity over the years. Everyone wants information. Right now, we’re just trying to figure out which of our ideas are going to stick and finding an appropriate time to talk about it.”

So then, it’ll be “a while.” But what about all that voice casting stuff? Well, somewhat ironically, that’s where Howard clammed up. There is some good news, though. PC has reclaimed its spot at the forefront of gaming’s charge into the future, and Bethesda has absolutely taken notice.

“PC is resurgent,” enthused Howard. “Skyrim did better than we’ve ever done on PC by a large, large number. And that’s where the mods are. That feeds the game for a long time. And it’s exciting that the new consoles are very PC-like. That opens up avenues for us going forward to do things that we’ve wanted to do in the past. There are kind of random ideas we’re working on right now, and it’s like, ‘Wow, I think there’s potential here to do some really cool stuff.’”

So there you have it. I did my best to squeeze lemonade from Todd Howard’s tightly clamped mouth. For my next trick, I’ll leave before this metaphor gets any stranger.

, , , .

1. razgon says:

More importantly, where is the news about Elder Scrolls 6? (No, its not ESO – thats a different team)

• Core says:

It’s very unlikely that they would make another TES game while the MMO is around. No sense in dividing the potential playerbase of the MMO with competing products.

• razgon says:

Its not a competing product. ESO is an MMO, whereas the Elder Scrolls series is a singleplayer, moddable experience. Each game caters to different playstyles.
        Two completely different markets, and Bethesda has said repeatedly it has no impact on the Elder Srolls series.

• Jockie says:

Regardless of your classification of TESO and the core series, there are plenty of gamers who would say “The next Elder Scrolls single-player game is out soon? fuck the MMO then, I’ll wait”.

They’re not different markets – because of the strength of the franchise, plenty of non-mmo players who enjoy the sp experience will get on board at launch. If there was a single-player game around the corner they may not, so it doesn’t really make sense for Behesda to sabotage their own mmo launch.

FWIW I think TESO will tank hard.

• razgon says:

Oh I agree – TESO will not become very popular. The only saving grace it has is its PVP. The drop-off after the first and second month of release will be very large, and what remains will be the core audience who either finds it as a TESO fix, or are interested in the PVP (Or both, of course.)
            That is very soon though, meaning that they will have a large number of potential buyers for a single player RPG in about a year from now , that will not cannibalize the ESO game.

• aepervius says:

Not only the drop off after the first month or two will be huge, but also I doubt they will attract many people with their shenanigan. Special edition with imperial race only ? In a F2P yes, in a P2P game, 60 buck upfront, 15 per month that’s ridiculous.

• Kurskovole says:

I feel like the fact ESO was created using TES as a prop points to an overlapping target audience.

phuzz says:

I can’t imagine that there isn’t some crossover between the audience for Skyrim and TESO. Ok, personally I’m only interested in the single player stuff, but I know people who played a lot of Skyrim and are at least interested in TESO

• Jinoru says:

ESO takes place in a prequel timeline before Arena. I reckon Bethesda would like to flesh out the prequel universe before moving on to another sequel.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

Much more importantly, who cares? Bethesda hasn’t been able to produce a good game since Morrowind (the release of which was preceded by the exodus of the talent from the company), and it has been peddling its stale iterations of that game for a decade. As long as Todd Howard is at the helm, they won’t go farther than belching out soulless landmasses dotted with tepid attractions and interspersed among mind-numbing combat.

• rikvanoostende says:

Let’s agree to disagree.

• Blackcompany says:

Well said, Doesnt. Well said indeed.

Also, true.

It took me finally clicking with Dark Souls to realize how empty, soulless and…frankly cliche Skyrim really is. And now I cannot go back. Probably not ever.

• slic says:

I just love how all these 12 year olds who don’t know a thing about game immersion or RPGs come here and claim Dark Souls is better than Skyrim, the two aren’t even comparable.
          Dark Souls isn’t even an RPG, it’s just a pointless repetitive dungeon grinder. A metroidvania game where all you do is run forward and swing your sword at monsters for no reason.

• Ich Will says:

I just love how all these 12 year olds who don’t know a thing about game immersion or RPGs come here and claim Skyrim is better than Dark Souls, the two aren’t even comparable.
            Skyrims isn’t even an RPG, it’s just a pointless repetitive dungeon grinder. A sandbox game where all you do is run forward and swing your sword at monsters for no reason.

See how easy cold statements are to reverse? Now I don’t agree with what I wrote above nor do I agree with what you wrote but it seems you actually believe that tosh. Now by any standard, and people have some pretty weird standards, the souls games are RPG’s. Just because a flavourless NPC hasn’t told you to kill some rats for a copper piece, doesn’t mean that your character doesn’t have motivation – you’re searching for the cure for the curse. Just because the cure for the curse isn’t marked on your map by someone who has an unerringly perfect knowledge of places he supposedly can’t go to, doesn’t mean that the game isn’t immerse – quite the opposite – khajits banned from cities – not if the player is one!

There’s only one person acting like a child here. It’s you.

• Philomelle says:

Given that I found Morrowind to be barely playable and actually enjoyed Skyrim, I do care.

• dethtoll says:

For real. Doesn’tmeananything’s post doesn’t mean anything.

• SRTie4k says:

I guess not everybody enjoys a fantastic story, rich culture and lore, and deeply dramatic religious, sectarian and faction-based tensions and conflict. Those are so last decade.

Console-quality visuals, interfaces and control schemes seem to be what’s important these days.

• Philomelle says:

Yes, you’ll in fact discover that a lot of people don’t enjoy monstrously useless and clunky UI, poorly designed combat where what’s happening on the screen doesn’t actually influence the outcome in any way, lazy skill design that encourages min-maxing trollops and absolutely mediocre, lifeless dialogue that is copy/pasted across 99% of the game’s population.

Note how I didn’t actually mention the game’s Quake I-level textures and angular landscape there. They were terrible, but they have nothing to do with why I consider Morrowind to be nigh unplayable unless it’s modded three dozen times.

Please stop trying to pretend you’re some sort of elite and people who disagree with you are tasteless console peasants. Morrowind was a shit game that had to be salvaged by modders who saw the diamond hidden behind the pit of rough that was Bethesda’s inept game design. The reason why the series improved between titles was precisely because they saw what all the modders kept trying to improve in their titles. Sure, they didn’t fix the UI, but at least they fixed visual feedback, pointless min-maxing and the lazy copy/pasted writing.

“Deeply dramatic religious, sectarian and faction-based tensions and conflict”? Please. The Elder Scrolls writing always hovered between shit and mediocre, Morrowind was no exception. The only reason why it seemed vaguely better was because it had less than a dozen characters across its entire open world who had actual dialogue.

• The Random One says:

I do love a fantastic story, rich culture and lore, and deeply dramatic religious, sectarian and faction-based tensions and conflict. But I thought we were talking about Skyrim?

• chargen says:

I think he was talking about Morrowind. One hopes.

• SRTie4k says:

The UI was fine, actually far superior to Oblivion or Skyrim’s UI (unless you play with a controller), at least you could see more than 10 items at a time. The combat was also fine, it was just a different way of representing stats and skills (hits and misses vs. low damage vs. high damage, whats the difference?). The skills were also better than Oblivion or Skyrim, at least they allowed you to fully customize to your hearts content and offered numerous skills that both newer games conveniently forgot about. And the dialogue shared across the world is no different from the 5 voice actors that voiced the every character in the newer games, repeating the same stupid line over and over. C’mon, let’s not kid ourselves, there is a reason lame lines like the arrow to the knee line became meme’s…YOU HEAR THEM EVERY 5 MINUTES! And lastly, the textures and shapes were also excellent for the time. Stating that all the shapes were blocky is a huge embellishment and a pretty lame complaint.

And the difference between Morrowind and Oblivion/Skyrim in terms of content was the fact that there existed many MANY more cultures, religions, factions, houses, etc, each having unique desires, aspirations, motivations, etc. There is SO much more lore in Morrowind than Oblivion or Skyrim could ever hope for. Not only that, but Morrowind required a fair amount of detective work to complete quests, which meant you actually had to delve into the lore and immerse yourself in the world in order to make progress. Oblivion and Skyrim simply give you a series of waypoints to follow, which takes all the fun out of exploration.

• Blue Shark says:

With exception of Fallout 3, which I enjoyed a fair bit (even thou it was buggy as hell and crashed regularly) I must agree. I just don’t get what people see in Skyrim or how could they choose it as RPG of the year over Witcher 2. My hopes of awesome open world RPG are in Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Witcher 3.

Cinek says:

Fallout 3 is only a confirmation of the thesis that Bethesda couldn’t make any good game since Morrowind.

• PopeRatzo says:

Bethesda hasn’t been able to produce a good game since Morrowind

The whole industry has been downhill since Pong.

• Bull0 says:

Mouse control ruined the FPS, etc

particlese says:

I played some Doom 2 just last night, first in full-on classic mode, then with mouse control (the two default Steam modes), and I must say it was WAY scarier with the slow-turning, awkward keyboard layout.

• Jason Moyer says:

Pong was just a crappy ripoff of Tennis For Two, anyway.

• NathanMates says:

Sorry, I’d disagree. I found Oblivion and then Skyrim far superior in terms of playability than Morrowind. I’ve tried, three times, for about 10 hours of play at a time, to play Morrowind, and gave up. (And finished the mainquest in both Oblivion and Skyrim.) First time, I played until Caius Cosades (diaperpants in first city) told me “you’re too low level to do this, go explore for a while.” That’s a failure of game design, trying to pad things out rather than let you play. Next time, I tried doing sidequests, but just got bored trying to make up any motivation to keep playing. Skyrim, Oblivion at least started with a bang as a “hey, there’s something cool happening over here if you follow the main quest,” and let you ignore it. But there was a tease that something interesting happens in the game. Morrowind was a “dump you off a boat, create your character, and then a big fat nothingburger for a hook/macguffin/etc to get you interested. Morrowind felt like a “nothing ever happens here, and we don’t like you” at the start. Although people say “stick with it, the game gets better after 20 hours,” that’s a huge flaw.

Things like sharpening weapons after use (thankfully gone in Skyrim) felt like an absolute chore of busywork in a misguided attempt at realism. I remember Alakabeth and early Ultimas subtracting food in dungeons, so that if you didn’t bring enough food in, you were in trouble. Might & Magic 6 was one of the last with a food mechanic, but was so lightly used as to not be a bother. Morrowind’s weapon/armor repair felt like System Shock 2′s weapons that decayed to the point of uselessness in mere minutes — a lot of having to keep track of things. It felt like every time I wanted to leave town for a quest in Morrowind, I had to go to 3-5 shops to get equipment. Camping in real life takes lists and preparation. Videogames exist to not make food/armor condition a chore.

Armor types – in Morrowind, I found it horribly confusing. There were too many tiny pieces, and what was really missing was a better UI to instantly compare stats on any piece with what’s presently equipped. The grid-of-inventory pictures was worse than vanilla Skyrim’s Excel-like list of items — I read text far faster than finding a tiny icon in a busy grid of mostly similar . I get that some people who are in to role playing love the idea of wearing fine clothes under armor — but if you’re going to have the busywork of sharpening weapons after use in the guise of realism, then your fine clothes ought to degrade to garbage after jumping through a swamp, unless you prepacked them in a backpack. I do feel that Oblivion/Skyrim probably had too few options in the armor — I like something like Torchlight 1/2′s eight armor types with slot names that have been used in the past century. By normal people.

The quest journal in Morrowind may have appealed to people used to writing down notes on paper while they played, but if you ever stopped playing for a little bit of time — e.g. real life shows up — figuring out what the heck was going on was a bother. The font was also this faux cursive to try and seem more realistic, but only hurt readability. Computers exist to categorize information for you, not to replicate tools of the past. The “go here, dummy” line in Oblivion/Skyrim was a huge help to me — if I resumed play after my mental state of the game had been swapped out, I followed the arrows, and what was going on in the game came back to me. As I played. Mods existed to remove that line, for those that wanted the line gone. Great. Not for me.

Travel in Morrowind felt like a chore, lugging your way across the landscape just to fill up time. And there were some fast travel options, but they were implemented in a way to annoy. There was a network of stilt striders, but you couldn’t get to all destinations. Going from city A to C meant that you had to take one from A->B, wait for a loading screen, turn around, and take it from B->C. (And listen to the exact same NPC voiceover twice in 20 seconds — if you thought arrows to the knee came up too often, this was 10x more annoying) The last playthrough I did, I downloaded a mod that allowed me to go from A->C directly, for the same cost of the two trips, but without the annoyance of remembering what cities I had to go through. (It’s an RPG, not simulated subway system.) That helped, but fast travel in Oblivion/Skyrim cut out all the pointless running across landscapes trying to convince you that this was a full game that you got your money’s worth of time wasted.

Alien architecture. Some people liked it. But, some places, especially Ald’ruhn just got annoying with it being a pain to navigate. Fallout 3′s Little Lamplight was the same core design – rope bridges between intermediate destinations that all look the same. There’s a benefit to solid, navigable architecture, and Morrowind just got annoying while trying to be cute. Weird alien architecture that serves only to increase travel time and pad the game is what Morrowind had.

The leveling system in Morrowind/Oblivion is just utterly broken. Setting up your character became an exercise in min-max simply to try and work around the broken implementation. Leveling up skills as you use them is fine, but having to go out and do some things just before you level is a pain. Skyrim got this much better.

• fish99 says:

I love how people can love one ES game and violently hate others when they are largely the same thing. Yes the enemy auto leveling is bad, and yes Morrowind had a better world/story, but most the experience of playing the games is the same.

drewski says:

The 20 million plus people who made Skyrim the second best selling game of the last generation (to GTA 5), probably.

What you actually mean is that *you* don’t care. In which case…why are you posting?

• Werthead says:

Their next project will not be ES6. It’ll either be FO4 (the safe option) or something new, which Bethesda hinted at last year, although it was widely dismissed as a red herring. That’ll give them several years of working on something, releasing it and releasing DLC before they even start work on ES6. ESO will be out in that time. By the time ES6 rolls around, probably around 2017 at the earliest, ESO will either by a huge hit and people will play both, or ESO will have died and ES6 can stand on its own.

It also depends on what he means by no announcements for a while. That could be a year or more, or it could be six months, with the game to follow a year later (like they did for SKYRIM).

Also note that he’s talking exclusively about what Bethesda Game Studios are working on, not what Bethesda the Monolithic Mini-EA Publisher are doing. If, as many desperately hope, Obsidian are actually doing FO4 on the Creation Engine and Bethesda Game Studios are doing something different, he’s technically not said anything inaccurate, even if FO4 is announced in the near future.

• 2late2die says:

I bet you this is all because of ESO. I don’t care if they tell us it’s a different team and all that, fact is Bethesda is pumping tons of resources into ESO and no way in hell that’s not affecting development of TES 6 and Fallout 4.

• Keyrock says:

I’ll be honest, I’m kind of burned out on Elder Scrolls. I put hundreds of hours into Morrowind and Oblivion (a good chunk in Shivering Isles for the latter), but I only played Skyrim for some 25 or 30 hours and have zero desire to return, despite the fact that Skyrim is better than Oblivion, and in some respects better than Morrowind (though worse in other respects). The allure of the Bethesda open world sandbox has worn off and I can’t really see past the empty husks that Bethesda’s worlds are any more. That applies to Fallout 4 as well… unless they have Obsidian develop it, in which case, I’m on board and eager.

• Slazer says:

Looking at Obsidian’s pipeline with South Park, Pillars of Eternity and assisting inXile with Wasteland (more Fallout than Fallout 3), they seem to be quite busy for now and I wouldn’t expect them to go through the trouble with Bethesda again, after they had to push out an unfinished New Vegas (is a bug free game even possible in this horrible engine?) and the leak about the metacritic incentives

• Turkey says:

Yeah, that metacritic deal was bullshit. New Vegas still sold like crazy.

• onodera says:

The South Park RPG is practically done, Pillars of Eternity are in production, it makes sense that they should already have something in pre-production, with SP programmers and artists slowly being reassigned to it. But we may only hope it’s a Fallout game and not, I don’t know, a Breaking Bad RPG. It must’ve hurt a lot to accept an offer from Bethesda after getting screwed out of your bonus by them.

• Keyrock says:

I’m totally down for Breaking Bad RPG. A meth cooking skill tree, bomb making skill tree, etc.

• slic says:

Obsidian is the most overrated developers in existence. Everything they churn out is garbage.

Fallout New Vegas was the most boring chore of a game I ever played. The world really was nothing but a big empty husk, and the story couldn’t be any less engaging, back from the dead looking for revenge, kill him or forgive him, then run errands for a faction, this coupled with barrage of immature and unfunny sex jokes that made me cringe. And the world was just a big bland empty desert crawling with scorpions and deathclaws. It also was the most buggy and least polished game I ever had the displeasure of playing.

• pongsifu says:

After Fallout 4, obviously.

• raptor24 says:

My biggest question…why the hell does it take Bethesda so long to produce a single game? I mean come on…1994-1996 we saw 2 TES games…then it was 4 years and another 4 years then 5 years and now ??? And Fallout was 2008 and then they published NV in 2010 but Obsidian made that. I mean they’ve had ample time to create games and yet we are supposed to sit back happy as clams that they wont even make a game in a timely manner. And when they do produce them, they have more bugs then a rundown old apartment building

2. JanusForbeare says:

I like his comment about PCs. It basically translates into, “The PC version of Skyrim shocked us by competing with consoles in sales figures. Fortunately, consoles are evolving, so we can continue with our ‘consoles-first’ policy while making it seem as if we care about PC users.”

• azrd79 says:

You cynical man.

• JanusForbeare says:

Business and cynicism go together like Skyrim and mods. The former necessitates the latter.

The fact that SkyUI (which replaces Skyrim’s atrocious X-Box oriented menu system with something a little more mouse-friendly) is the second-most popular mod on the Nexus goes to show just how far Bethesda’s priorities were from the PC market.

Todd Howard also has been quoted as saying that developers should ignore install base and gamer demographics in favor of “their passions”, which seems to be his way of justifying a shift towards the console market.

basilisk says:

SkyUI is clearly superior to the default interface even when you are playing with a controller. The problem is not the game’s console focus, but quite simply terrible UI design.

• wr0ng1 says:

If we’re using mod popularity to gauge Bethesda’s design limitations, then it’s safe to say they sorely overlooked the need for nudity and interactive sex simulation too.

• rikvanoostende says:

I’m sure that before Bethesda realized the default interface wasn’t very popular with PC gamers, SkyUI was upon us. The developers did the smart thing; instead of going throught the process of asking players what they wanted, building it into a patch and test it for a while before release, they open up their games for the modding community.

This way everyone wins, and a lot sooner too!

• Dave Tosser says:

No, everyone doesn’t win when modders do the job of fitting your game to what was once the native platform of its series. If you’re not designing proper interfaces, I don’t care that someone whose job it isn’t can do it better. What should be happening is that the people paid to put console games on PC should take care whilst doing it, and it’s not okay to fall back into a mentality where you can just let modders do all the work, because that’s clearly what players want, right?

Why not just cut developers out entirely and let people make their own games? Let’s overthrow the burghish oppressors and never again be slave to corporate ownership! Video games for everyone! Modders do not justify or enable lazy design, so consider that every modder who takes it out of their time to fix something that should have been there by default is doing the work of professionals, and in many cases, doing said work better. Modders are better attuned to what players want, and they have far more freedom to deliver this because they’re not crunching through budgets and deadlines. Doesn’t mean it’s something to celebrate that we have to rely on them to fix our games and add resolution options to our ports.

I expect developers to design their games properly and I fully expect them to fix bugs, glitches and such. It’s nice when modders do it, but it shouldn’t be necessary.

Lars Westergren says:

> Todd Howard also has been quoted as saying that developers should ignore install base and gamer demographics in favor of “their passions”

That sounds like good advice, for any creative. Horray, and more of that.

A few posts above you Bethesdah is accused of creating watered down mass-market pandering, but when they try to do something else, people get offended? Seems they can’t win.

> which seems to be his way of justifying a shift towards the console market.

How does that in any way follow?

• JanusForbeare says:

If you take the statement at face value, then I agree, it all sounds peachy. However, given that the statement was made while Skyrim was in development, and that the PC version of Skyrim was an obvious port of a game designed with the XBox in mind, it puts the quote in a different context.

As gamasutra reported, Howard went on to say, ““if install base really mattered, we’d all make board games, because there are a lot of tables.” There’s almost as many PCs out there as tables – certainly more PCs than there are XBoxes. It’s pretty clear what medium he was referring to here.

• neonordnance says:

Hey now, let’s back up. Bethesda absolutely cares about PC gaming. It might make UIs for the lowest common denominator (though remember that many people play their games on PC with a 360 pad), but they have also done a great job supporting the PC modding community by promptly releasing mod tools, writing official tutorials, and even maintaining a wiki for using their tools.

The #1 uncontested reason why Bethesda games are best on the PC is mods, and the company certainly has a hand in encouraging that. Let’s not go after one of the good ones while EA and Microsoft are out there.

• JanusForbeare says:

As a former member of that modding community, I’ve been underwhelmed by the support Bethesda has shown in recent years. The CK was released 3-4 months after Skyrim was released, despite being (supposedly) the exact same program used to design the game in the first place. They also released a competing model of mod distribution (the Steam Workshop) that supported monetization the modding process, which was an unwelcome move in the eyes of many modders and mod users at the time (it was seen as a possible prelude to an attempt to control and commercialize free user-generated content). Lastly, the DLCs, Hearthfire in particular, co-opted and/or headed off popular mods (the Orphanage and buildable house mods, in the aforementioned case of Hearthfire).

Is it a good thing that Beth released modding tools for Skyrim? Absolutely, though with the precedent they had set, they had pretty much painted themselves into a corner on that count. Do they have every right to release whatever DLCs they want? Again, yes, but it could have been done without rendering the countless hours devoted modders had spent wasted.

I agree that Bethesda has, for a long time, been one of the good companies, and that they helped lay the foundations for the open-world RPG genre (though I’d give Origin more credit for that). Unfortunately, in my opinion, their passion has long since drained away – and the innovation with it. They have never been more about the bottom line than they are now.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

In what way does the skyrim steam workshop monetize mods? :S
          And Heathfire wasn’t based on a particular mod. The concept of adoption and house building (with a butler) was done as mods in an internal Skyrim Game Jam before the game was released. Many of the features in the DLC’s and patches are from that Jam.

• Slazer says:

I also think that steam workshop is great at making mods more accessible and keeping them up to date.

• JanusForbeare says:

It’s been a few years since that controversy, so my memory of the fine details is a little foggy. From what I recall, there was some fine print in the license agreement about Valve/Beth being allowed to charge money for the most popular mods (of which the user would receive something like a 10% cut). I’m not sure if they ever chose to implement that clause – I never used the Workshop – but if not, the outrage it generated among the community was most likely a major reason for the decision.

EDIT: Also, I’m curious about something. Now that you mention it, I do recall the game jam argument being mentioned around the time HF was announced. Do you have a link to an article or video demoing the results of that game jam? Preferably something that was released prior to HF. I’m wondering if the authors of the orphanage/buildable house mods had the opportunity to know that Beth was considering something similar when they decided to build their mods, or if the information only became available after the fact.

• onodera says:

Well, they had to spend some time to clean up and polish the CK for the general public. It probably was full of buttons with no icons or with tits on them, outdated menu items and menu items that crashed the program when selected.

• Blackcompany says:

First Janus, its good to see you about. Hope you are doing well sir. Secondly, I agree with your comments for the most part. Although they do release modding tools and claim to support the PC, Bethesda talks out of both sides of their mouth. I tried using those tools, and frankly the idea that they used that tool set to build a game – an entire game, with no other tool – is patently false. The tools barely work, there is no ready information regarding them, and they’re as bug ridden as the game itself, if not worse.

Some support.

Cinek says:

This:

Seems only to confirm what you said. If I read it right – all the cool, potentially interesting things they’ll gonna make will be there only because of new consoles.

Seems like their attitude won’t change.

• Asurmen says:

Or “All the cool things the elitist PC could do but we were being held back by the ole crappy consoles can now be done on everyone’s machine. Yay for everyone!”

• JanusForbeare says:

There’s nothing elitist about accepting that different platforms are different. Despite common developer belief these days, not all games have to be cross-platform. As soon as that point of view is taken, games start being hamstrung by the technical limitations of the weakest machine.

• Asurmen says:

I never said that, but there is an elitist attitude when someone is asking for their platform to only have the shiniest things and not to be held back by older hardware. You can see this attitude even within and about PCs themselves. As for your secind point, when it comes to most AAA games given their costs, they practically do need to be cross platform, especially when there’s an expectation of such when a developer’s previous games (TES ans Fallout in this case) have been cross platform.

• Slazer says:

Rather sounds to me like scripting and bugfixing cross-platform will be easier, and that limitations by the old hardware will be gone.

3. mr.black says:

Strange. Apart from the usual PR press wiggling of facts, I don’t think their main dev team is working on anything major. Skyrim development is long over, Elder Scrolls MMO Crush Saga is made by different team, somehow I don’t see another main ES game already in the works, so next Fallout should be the next logical step…
    What are all those people who made Skyrim doing?

• Low Life says:

Obviously they’re working on Fallout 4, they’ve just not announced it yet. You don’t have to tell about your game in public to start developing it.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I think they’re evaluating how to evolve the formula, i like to think they are perfectly aware that there is some stagnation, but the next evolution is going to take money and it’s going to need the next consoles to cooperate, regardless of how good a new Fallout would do on our platform.

Ideally they’d make a really next gen title, but it would be a great jump for them, something they didn’t make in quite a while, which would also raise the problem of coming up with a decent engine that’s still not bound by 9000+ weird licences in order to be able to release modding tools without spending a fortune, and then duplicating their easily moddable reputation.

This is a scary leap for them i bet. Would such a move be viable now, with the new consoles still trying to to take off properly?

• karthink says:

This. I can’t imagine a true ‘next-gen’ Fallout/ES with the level of detail and modding support that’s expected of Bethesda is easy or cheap to make. The number of props and level of detail that goes into populating a single room alone ratchets up considerably.

basilisk says:

I think you are right. The engine is getting very long in the tooth and is aching for an overhaul (separate cells for interiors and exteriors are one of the prominent issues), but they are so heavily invested into it that abandoning it must be very hard. Particularly when they focus on building such incredibly enormous games.

• neonordnance says:

I would be 100% OK with them churning out new worlds set in the same Fallout 3 engine like New Vegas did, and I know that a lot of fans would be too. I just hope they are smart enough to hire Obsidian to make Fallout 4.5.

• Slazer says:

I think Obsidian would be much happier creating Wasteland 2.5, or creating their own new IP after finishing South Park and Pillars.

They also hated the engine, its limitations on NPC (number of them, and look) and areas (sure, let’s split Vegas in small sections, why should this feel like a big crowded city) are a big no-go today, and you can’t seriously created another game like that

• PopeRatzo says:

I don’t think their main dev team is working on anything major.

Not just Bethesda.

I’m convinced that all of the AAA dev teams at all of the companies are just hanging around trying to figure out the best way to monetize Kickstarter and dev diaries and have given up on actually making games forever.

I’m not joking.

• fish99 says:

My guess is that ESO turned out a much bigger project than anticipated and loads of people from Bethesda got pulled over to help Zenimax Online finish it and polish it up. That would explain why we only got 2 significant DLCs for Skyrim, rather than the usual 4 or 5, and why they talk as if they haven’t even started Fallout 4 yet.

“Right now, we’re just trying to figure out which of our ideas are going to stick ”

This doesn’t tell me they’re in full production on anything currently. Sad news if true.

4. dicenslice says:

If it’s not being made by Obsidian then I’d rather there was never news about it.

Lexx87 says:

Currently playing through New Vegas again, with some nice weather and graphics mods of course.

It’s a wonderful a game, and there’s SO MUCH STUFF I didn’t see the first time around. In love with it.

6. TheVGamer says:

They’re waiting for TESO to launch, flop and go F2P before they talk about the next game. Why? Well, I’m thinking the next game will be a TES6 rather than Fallout 4. It’s been more than two years since Skyrim and I remember rumors of them hiring people to work on a next gen project in early 2012.

Either that conspiracy theory or they’re actually departing from their formula and trying to make something new that will be competitive with Witcher 3 and then, of course, Cyberpunk 2077.

• HadToLogin says:

So, you’re saying world they didn’t touched in 4 years has less chances of being visited then one they worked really hard until last months of 2012 (Dragonborn DLC)?

Good way to totally kill your innovation, keep doing same thing for nearly 5-6 years without a break.

On the other hand, rumors says only reason why they made Fallout 3 was because they were forced by agreement with Interplay and they only wanted money from selling old games and they have no interest in making anything with it…

• aepervius says:

They are still at the behest of a publisher, which do not care about innovation, but about return on invest. Why do you think madden keep getting done years after years ? Cheap and good ROI. I think that there is a greater chance to have a TES6 than a FO4, because after the 6 month of ESO, they have a chance to recapture the one which dropped out with single player game TES, at least those player also playing single player. Wheras with a FO4 ? No a chance.

Goodtwist says:

The delay is only good if Bethesda was to create a new engine.
    And it’s good for me because I still haven’t finished FO3, not to mention New Vegas.

• rikvanoostende says:

Preferably one that supports The Rift. I get the feeling all those AAA titles and announcements keep getting pushed back because the devs are toying with their OR devkits, considering its impact.

• phelix says:

Judging from how Bethesda promoted their ‘totally new’ ‘Creation Engine’ the new engine will probably still be GameBryo, with dx10+ features if we’re lucky.

8. The Dark One says:

Skyrim: New Valenwood.

You know you want to greenlight it, you know we want to buy it.

9. Deinonychus says:

I never want to hear about it from Todd Howard’s dirty little mouth.

10. TheVGamer says:

There’s still the fact Obsidian did New Vegas, and the DLC that kept the game alive for another year. Honestly, I can see them go both ways. I really want Fallout 4 but I would be totally happy with another TES, just not in the form of an MMO.

11. Trespasser in the Stereo Field says:

Can’t say that I’m very excited for any new Fallout game. I never even finished New Vegas–it just seemed like Fallout 3 but in a mildly different setting. I think I made it about 10 hours in and realized I was forcing myself to play.

• Werthead says:

NEW VEGAS is a very different game to FO3, despite surface similarities. NEW VEGAS has a far more reactive storyline where what you say and do has a huge impact on the world (unlike FO3 where, Megaton aside, it has no impact at all) and leads to many different endings. The game also allows you to try to break it by killing plot-vital NPCs and reacts to you trying new things (like being able to kill the main bad guy long before the main quest asks you to). Your hirelings also have personalities, comment more on what is going on and have their own beliefs which can lead you into conflict with them, not to mention their own storylines and quests associated with them, unlike FO3 or SKYRIM where they are walking backpacks. It is a superior game on every level except one, rather crucial one: the opening few hours are really, deathly dull. If you get over that hump, the game becomes a lot more rewarding.

Cinek says:

All the reasons why New Vegas was by far superior to anything that either F3 or Skyrim ever had.

• leandrombraz says:

My problem with New Vegas so far was New Vegas itself. I like to go to a location and do everything I have to do there, then go to another place. When I got in the city I was stuck there for several hours, which became boring really fast. There was too much factions there, almost none interesting IMO (repetitive and dull). I was forcing myself to play it. Now that I got out of the city I’m interested again, but I honestly can’t find all this superiority that people see over Fallout 3. Sure, there’s a lot of good ideas and interesting new mechanics, but so far I didn’t saw they using it in an exciting way. For example, the fame system concept is awesome, but I can’t get myself to care about most of the factions in the game, so I will hardly get to a point of conflict, where I will do a meaningful decision between two factions.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Don’t get the wrong idea, i’m not trying to tell you how you should play games but… try New Vegas as a “role player”, try to do only what your character would want, try to “break” some things.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

FNV wasn’t designed as the usual thempark RPG where every town is a small collection or rides (like in F3 and Skyrim). You don’t have to do everything in New Vegas at once. :)

Every road leads to New Vegas in FNV and you are led there by a lot of plot threads and quests. I was overwhelmed by the things you could do and the number of factions there too. Never bothered to do more than a few every time I passed through.

But it’s not close to as many things to do in some places in the old Fallouts (or Tarant in Arcanum).

• Werthead says:

The city of New Vegas isn’t a lot of fun itself – the design problems Obsidian had with it due to the technical limitations of the consoles are well-documented – but it does help if you think of the city as a hub for quests. I mean, half the quests you get there take you out into the Mojave again anyway, so it’s difficult to stay in it for long periods doing tons of things, unless you’re just going around collecting tons of incomplete quests like it’s the Steam sale or something ;)

12. CookPassBabtridge says:

Should have used combustible lemons

13. Werthead says:

Well, what we do know is that Bethesda’s next game will use the Creation Engine (aka GameBryo 1.4) and the reports about voice recording for FO4 and Bethesda doing location scouting in Boston certainly all point to it.

However, it is possible that all of that was providing information for someone else – maybe Obsidian, who have at least one unannounced AAA project on their plate – to make FALLOUT 4 with the Creation Engine whilst Bethesda themselves put more time and effort into a whole new, next-gen-optimised engine for ES6 (and FO5 and likely more games). So technically that means we wouldn’t hear about the next game from Bethesda Game Studios themselves for quite some time, if they’re focusing on tech and if the next game takes longer to develop.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well THAT would make me excited even in spite of the “old” engine. It’s an interesting theory, i just hope it’s even remotely similar to the truth.

14. leandrombraz says:

People are only talking about it because that fake ARG created a lot of hype, but it’s ridiculously illogical to expect an announcement any time soon. They stopped working on Skyrim a less than one year ago, it will be a while before they have something to show. I will be surprised if we get something in 2014.

15. Jason Moyer says:

If BSG aren’t planning on releasing anything in the near future, maybe Zeni could go ahead and greenlight that sci-fi Bethesbryo game that Obsidian pitched awhile back? Pretty please?

16. Keyrock says:

Basically, when news about Fallout 4 does finally come out, I mainly want to know one thing: Who is developing the game? If the answer is “Bethesda themselves” then I can stop caring and happily ignore any further news on the game. If the answer is “Obsidian Entertainment” then I’m listening, tell me more, please.

• Myrdinn says:

Let Bethsoft create a nice engine and let Obsidian and modders (Nehrim anyone?) make the good games.

• Slazer says:

Have they ever created a nice Engine?

Stellar Duck says:

The one in Daggerfall was interesting on paper (and somewhat in execution), I think.

After that, not so much. Morrowind was great but almost in spite of the engine, Oblivion was not very good over all and Skyrim was… hollow, if pretty at a distance, both graphically and mechanically. It was all surface and no substance. It was a dead world with no reactivity at all. As a veteran of STALKER that was supremely unsatisfying.

17. Turkey says:

Where do you even take the concept of Fallout beyond just improving the graphics at this point? With TES they can just fart out one of the unused continents and it will be fairly unique, but Fallout is just desert and retro futuristic technology. Even the original Black Isle series sort of ran out of ideas by the 2nd one.

• HadToLogin says:

Well, there’s always doing impossible and stop caring about USA.

Yes, I know it’s hard. But think about possibilities you could get for example from setting action around “whatever is Berlin Wall in 2077″, so you’d get people from both sides and stories about Great War said by different ideologies.

18. zat0ichi says:

I think the sudden RPG quality bar raising from the eastern European game foundries is giving them pause for thought.

• Werthead says:

It might be, but the bottom line for them will be the bottom line, financially. When the combined lifetime sales of the first two WITCHER games are only slightly ahead of what NEW VEGAS made in its first month on sale (and still a bit behind SKYRIM), they’re probably not feeling too threatened.

Creatively, yes, I’d hope that they were looking at seeing what other people in the genre were doing.

• Slazer says:

Here is hoping that CDP made a lot of extra money by self-publishing online and the gog shop in general.

Even though developement costs in Poland are lower than in the US, I guess the gap isn’t as big as it used to be anymore, so you really have to wonder where they take the money to develop 2 giant scale games that could be better than Skyrim, Mass Effect and anything we know at the same time.

If they ever get in trouble and have to kickstart TW3, please let me have the 500 € Collector’s Edition. While Obsidian, inXile and Larian work on great old-school games, it seems like CDP is the place where the future of RPGs is being created

19. BerthaCBowling says:

my classmate’s half-sister makes $70 /hr on the computer . She has been out of work for five months but last month her income was $12519 just working on the computer for a few hours.
    look at this website ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Fizzjob.com

20. Darksun_TriSol says:

I always find it amusing when they never recognize that mod work done on consoles. Obviously PC has more because it can handle more, but it’s not that hard to make stuff compatible for consoles.

Anyways, this is just Bethesda being Bethesda…tight lipped as always. Never take what they say to heart, because “a while” is a very vague phrase. That could be 6 months or 6 years, and in Bethesdas cases, it has meant both at one time or another.

• scritty says:

Mod work on consoles does happen. The assumption that it doesn’t is like the one that all PC gamers play sat hunched next to a monitor with a mouse and keyboard 100% of the time.
      In both cases the truth is “most of the time”. XBOX mods for Skyrim for example, ones that actually work. I can see about 30, most of which are not earth shattering. UI fixes, some AI stuff, pretty low level.
      There are close to 40,000 for the PC which include mods that make the game look and play completely differently (semi nude women seem to play a big part in this)
      So yeah. Consoles mod – a bit
      And some PC gamers (myself included) often kick back and play PC games using a 360 controller (native windows support, just plug in and play) on a 44″ HD TV on the other side of the room.
      Most don’t though.