Badger Cull: Shelter 2 Announced

By Graham Smith on March 31st, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

This one is about the Lynx.

I thought Shelter was a frustrating experience about shepherding an idiot brood of badgers through bad pathfinding and poorly signposted objectives. It’s wholly possible that you’re a far better person than I, and you saw in it the same touching story of parenthood as Cara and John. If so, prepare to get broody: developers Might And Delight have announced Shelter 2.

Even I have to admit it looks very pretty. Extremely teasery trailer below.

The badgers are no more. This time you and your family are Lynxes, which doesn’t bode well as Atari never survive. The core mechanics – or at least the philosophy that underpins them – are similar to the original. From the game’s site:

Shelter 2 is our upcoming title. The game follows the life cycle of a mother lynx, starting as a pregnant animal preparing her den for the coming litter, giving birth, and continuing in to a journey of parenthood where nurturing her cubs is paramount for survival. Shelter 2 includes more elaborate gameplay features than its predecessor, such as stamina, different types of movements, jumps and a variety of prey to kill. Besides hunting there are several maternal features such as calling the cubs closer, making sure they drink water from rivers and lifting and carrying your cubs from harm’s way.

Players of Shelter 2 set out to explore huge open territories from a safe haven – the den. A central place in the world where the lynx can always return to, either to gather strength, or to place bone trophies and other pickups such as rare plants and leafs. In addition, environments in Shelter 2 are much bigger and allow a lot more freedom than ever before, allowing players to find favorite spots to return to.

I want to like it. There’s more artwork over here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Aerothorn says:

Looks like it is definitely building on Shelter’s Nurture mode (which, incidentally, I really wish someone would review).

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

There was a nuture mode? I never noticed that. *reinstalls*

As to the actual news, I just hope they don’t put the same washed-out/high-contrast filter on as the first one, because that was a bit annoying. But definitely interested, the first one pressed my buttons (in a good way).

• Aerothorn says:

Yeah, it was added after release (hence no reviews). It’s a more open survival-type deal, but time limited turns per day – so something like Seaman, I think.

2. salattu says:

Might and Delight showed with the first one that they’re able to use music, color and small gestures to set a mood and conjure emotion. Can’t think of many games where I’ve cared about characters, especially ones where they never speak and don’t have prescribed names. I’m rather glad that the style is still ‘blocky’, they’re sticking with what they know there. The original Shelter placed in the top three game experiences I had last year. My badger offspring were Dull, Fat and Sharp after the black stripes on their backs. I remember how Sharp would stay close by and find his way best, and Fat (end grandpa-like fond memories moment).

• jrodman says:

Couldn’t the lack of names work to further enable involvement?

Personally I think there are multiple ways to achieve this, but I’m no expert.

3. Anthile says:

Lynxes? Squee~

That is, by the way, a Canadian lynx as indicated by the short, stubby tail and, well, the cold and snowy landscape.

4. Synesthesia says:

I’m actually afraid adding complexity will substract from the experience. It was clearly minimalistic, the patchy textures showing through, the skybox growing closer, the stars a clear pattern. Also knowing hunger just by the color and sounds of the little badgers, without a hud of sorts. I do hope it’s great though. The first one was quite the thing.

5. jrodman says:

I’m assuming the “maybe not for children” disclaimer refers to the game. It’s hard to imagine that trailer being difficult for children.

6. P.Funk says:

The music is telling me that the weak sap that I am will no doubt tear up the first time my mother Lynx dies naturally.

7. RedViv says:

Inevitable sequel team-up: Shelter 3 – A Lynx In The Past

• Anthile says:

Nonsense. It will be Shelter 3: A Life Aquatic and it will be about nurturing tiny yet bloodthirsty sharks.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Nah, Shelter 3 will be an MMO-survival game where some* of the players play predators going after those weaker than themselves and some** will play prey animals just trying to survive. Because everything has to be an MMO-survival game nowadays, don’tchaknow?

*i.e. 100%
        **i.e. 0%

• The Random One says:

DayZ with babies.

It’s the first game to sell more copies than there are people in the world.

• Gap Gen says:

I’m worried that they’ll scale down the difficulty to pander to the console crowd. I mean, I know they said they wouldn’t, but everyone knows that with the Lynx it’s easy.

• Volcanu says:

Pish. It’s a pure myth that console games are inherently easier than PC games. It can be annoying when a former PC-only series has a follow up with a simplified interface or a ‘gated’ world to the detriment of the PC experience -but these are more hardware frustrations.

The difficulty thing is more related to appealing to a ‘casual’ audience, regardless of platform. I could give a long list of very tough console games.

• Gap Gen says:

That was entirely the setup for a pun based on a reference to an advert from the ’90s or something. Sorry to have made you reply.

• Volcanu says:

Oops-a-daisy.

Well, this is a little awkward. Apologies for being a ‘technical terrence’ that one went over my head!

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Well, if you’re over 64, it can be a little difficult .. keeping up

Which now sounds like an ageist euphemism, rather than a reference to The Greatest Gaming Computer Ever Made. Yup. These vintage gaming word-plays are hard.

8. somnolentsurfer says:

Oh my word that’s unbelievably adorable. And reminds me that I’ve still not played past the title screen of the first one.

9. TomxJ says:

That last cub…

…is not going ot make it.

10. edgymirrors says:

It looks so gorgeous. I have the first Shelter installed, but haven’t got around to playing it yet.