The Long Dark’s Staggering Beauty

By Ben Barrett on April 3rd, 2014 at 11:00 am.

It’s not often you’ll get a phwoar out of me, but: phwoar. As if the oncoming no-technology apocalypse wasn’t enough to get my juices flowing, The Long Dark devs Hinterland Games have only gone and posted the most incredible looking series of screenshots. While there had been mock-ups, renders and concept art before these are the first taken from inside the engine to be released. The survival game is shaping up rather sexy after the successful++ Kickstarter campaign. If the gallery of prettiness below isn’t enough for you, take a look at it in motion here or read an interview from October here.

Click for bigs, obv.

There’s also a brand new community forum been set up, where you can get some even higher resolution versions of what you see above plus all the usual discussion, debate, cat pictures and bad youtube videos.

, .

DrScuttles says:

Bonfires have become inextricably associated with Dark Souls in my mind and make me feel a sudden pang of relief and comfort. But looking past that, this game sure looks pretty. It’s the kind of place I want to explore and soak up like some kind of survivalist-shaped sponge. And then rip off my top and run around screaming with nature before collapsing and softly expiring with some small measure of satisfaction.

Cinek says:

Looks really great. Actually: Better than I thought it would based on some concept arts (which were already quite impressive). I really like how graphic design of this game has a character – seems like it’ll be one of these titles that don’t really age as new and better GPUs come out on a market.

• GameCat says:

I have replayed Spyro The Dragon (from PSX) few weeks ago and I was surprised how pretty this game is, despite its obvious low-poly models and simple repeated textures.

Good visual design NEVER gets old.

• jorygriffis says:

I actually just replayed Spyro recently too. I totally agree about the visuals, they did a nice job and hold up well… but holy crap, that game is boring. Spent hours and hours with the series as a kid, though.

3. edgymirrors says:

Does anyone know when this game is coming out?

4. grable says:

Looks nice, lets hope it has some game in it too ;)

5. Danda says:

It looks staggeringly beautiful.

Hodge says:

Oh, come to me, my pretty screenshots…. uncle Hodge wants to EMBIGGEN you.

*cackles maniacally in silhouette*

7. Shiloh says:

Ooh, Ragnarok… is that Master Ash’s house atop that lofty crag? With its foundations in the past and its gables in one of many possible futures?