Mount & Skaven: Warband Warhammer Mod Rides Out

By Alice O'Connor on May 9th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Waaaagh!

If I were riding into battle, I’d rather be atop something fearsome like a wolf or a lion than a pony. And I’d ideally be an eight-foot orc or undead skeleton too. It just seems like common sense. If you’re also a sensible person, say, perhaps you’d fancy the newly-released Warsword Conquest mod, which fills Mount & Blade: Warband with races, places, and units from Games Workshop’s Warhammer Fantasy setting. I understand the RPS Constitution means I’m obliged to say something excited about the Skaven* now but it’s Friday and I know for a fact that the RPS Guard will have been in the pub for at least three hours now, so blow that.

Warsword Conquest boasts 13 playable Warhammer Fantasy factions, from hoighty-toighty Empire and High Elves to grubby Badlands Goblins and, yes, Skaven. A handful of other races fill out the mercenary lineup. It all goes down on a new Warhammer-y world map, which is swarming with more bandits than usual because I understand the past is a pretty grim and dark too.

If you fancy a go, grab it from Nexus Mods. Be sure to grab the bug fix too. Alas, it’s single-player only, so you can’t pit your trolls against a pal’s Witch Elves.

If this all looks a bit familiar, that may be because it’s based on the Warsword mod for the original Mount & Blade. Warsword Conquest has been in beta for a while but this release at the end of April was the first “full version.”

* OMG SKAVEN!!!!!!11111oneone – Alec

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Einhaender says:

no no no nononono NO! I’ve left my Warhammer years behind me and no game, no matter how good is going to make me get into it again.

2. SkittleDiddler says:

How long will it be before GW shuts this down? Litigious assholes.

• Everyone says:

Cease and desist in 5, 4, 3 …

• Darth Gangrel says:

Since it’s singleplayer only they can’t do a damn thing about it once you have downloaded it, unless I’m mistaken. That’s one of the reasons I only play singleplayer games/mods, no one can shut them down and no one can see what mods I’m running.

• Continuity says:

If they have any sense they’ll approach TaleWorlds Entertainment to make an official version.

3. Soulstrider says:

Never heard of this mod till now, I thought the only Warhammer mod in the works for mount and blade was Grim Age

4. Elmarby says:

I never cared much for the over the top fantasy like Warhammer and as such this particular mod does little to catch my interest.

But I do approve of RPS re-discovering modding. It has been neglected around here for quite a while now which is a damn shame as some amazing work is being done on all kinds of games.

5. JFS says:

Skellingtons. It’s called skellingtons.

6. RedViv says:

QUICK-QUICK TO THE DOWNLOAD-LOADS, YES

7. Conehead The Barbarian says:

Really enjoying this so far, some of the textures are no very good while some are really good. It seems to have lots of things going for it and features many of the main things that make other mods so great. (Being able to join someones army and work your way up in the ranks).

At the moment I am play as a Skeleton working for the pirate faction, means I get lots of funky armour.
    A screenshot of my character with a nice ole’ hat.

8. bills6693 says:

Are there lizardmen? Please, please say the lizardmen are in in at least some form (probably won’t be a major race unfortunatly, but at least mercs?)

Also would be awesome to see musketmen for the Empire (and some of the more wacky skaven weapons too!). I did enjoy muskets in WF&S.

9. cpt_freakout says:

Been keeping an eye on this mod for quite a while now, and it’s really exciting to see the first big release after years. Thanks for putting it in the spotlight, RPS!

Anyone else interested in going back to M&B should also give the Game of Thrones “A Clash of Kings” mod a shot, it’s very, very pretty to look at (I mean, for M&B standards, which admittedly is not much) and really fun to play.

10. Stellar Duck says:

Where is KG?

11. jasta85 says:

steam says i have 258 hours in mount and blade warband, time to put some more in

if they come out with a 40k mode then my life will be complete

12. BadManiac says:

Aaaaand. suddenly I remember why I got rid of Mount & Blade Warband so quickly. Man this game makes Dark Souls and S.T.A.L.K.E.R seem like casual facebook games.

13. Strangerator says:

Played the original mount and blade and the warhammer mod, played as a dwarf trader and used some crazy firearms. The game feels very different when you always start field battles unhorsed. Sieges were loads of fun with a repeater rifle.

Here’s hoping this mod is good and balanced, might sink some time into it this summer.

14. Myrdinn says:

Mount and Blade Warband always eats up my life whenever I start with a new character. Always makes me search Google for news on M&B2 as well :(.

Comment on this story