Damn & Blazkowicz: Wolfenstein New Order PC Tech Issues

By Alec Meer on May 20th, 2014 at 11:30 am.

Update – I’ve borrowed on oldish GeForce and the game’s now running fine. Definitely primarily an AMD incompatibility, presumably at driver level.

What time is it? It’s WHINY MOANY GRIPEY O’CLOCK, that’s what goddamn time it is. I’d hoped to have made decent inroads into Wolfenstein: The New Sequel* by now, but no PC code was available before release, and post-release the thing’s all but unplayable on my system, even on its lowest settings. I’m not alone in this, but while troubles are reported on a myriad of systems, AMD-ATI graphics card users have been hit particularly hard. I even bought a Radeon R290 yesterday for the express purposes of this and Watch Dogs, but I’m looking at 10-20 FPS most of the time. It does spike to 40 on occasion, but not often or consistently enough to enjoy the experience. Even the Bethesda and Machine Games logos at the start play like a cellphone video from 2004. At least I’m not suffering from the crashes to desktop that many others have reported.

A few possible performance aids are below, but they haven’t helped me.

By and large NVIDIA owners are doing a little better, and patches and driver updates are no doubt being feverishly worked on (following a 10GB day-one patch already). Buzz about the game itself from consoleland’s reviews falls mostly into the ‘quite good’ camp (though there are a significant number of dissenting opinions), so this is a bit of a shame. I’ll do my best to verify/frown at that as soon as possible, but right now this is an unhappy mirror of fellow id Tech 5-powered shooter Rage’s PC launch issues. For now I strongly recommend that you hold fire on buying the game until its issues are definitively resolved.

If you have already bought the game and are having frame rate or crash issues, there are mixed reports of the following having positive effects:

• Update graphics drivers to the very latest available. Duh.
  • Turn off Screen Space Reflections in the game’s Advanced Video Settings
  • Set Shadow Resolution to lowest
  • Run as Administrator and in Windows 7 compatibility mode
  • Turn off triple buffering in driver settings

Sadly, none of these things helped me in the slightest. I’m going to see if I can borrow an NVIDIA card from somewhere, but unless it turns out my neighbour’s rocking a Kepler or three hundred quid mysteriously lands in my back garden, I suspect I’m a few days away from being able to tell you wot I think.

I blame the Nazis, of course.

* The name of the new game is so forgettable that both Graham and I initially installed 2009′s ‘Wolfenstein’ instead of it.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. frightlever says:

If it’s any help, reviews are suggesting it’s not all that fun if you do get it to run.

• Optimaximal says:

On the contrary, I’ve only seen one review (Eurogamers) that say it’s anything *but* fun.

Dreary, yes (because of the subject matter) but the gun-play is satisfying and it does a lot of clever stuff, with its Riddick heritage showing through.

A Metacritic-free WIT would help though.

• nrvsNRG says:

Well thats a load of BS. Almost all the 10 or so reviews ive read so far have been good to great. Try checking before you talk shite.

• Andrxia says:

Same here. I’ve only read good things about this game.

• Bull0 says:

Yeah, are you sure? Even the most negative one I can find says it’s pretty OK. On the whole it seems to be doing rather well in reviews.

• LordMidas says:

I’ve been playing it on my Xbox One, and can confirm that it definitely IS a great shooter. Great supporting characters, great shootybangs, visceral gib-nazis, touches of Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

It even has a perk system that organically unlocks abilities and improvements.

You won’t be disappointed (once it runs correctly).

• dirtrobot says:

I’m having a blast, great mix of stealth and old school shooting with secret hunting. Possibly one of least hand holdy AAA experiences ever. I love it.

Also running on a radeon hd 7970 with everything maxed, it needed latest drivers to run and now it does beautifully.

2. grundus says:

So it’s Rage all over again?

Now that I’ve read the article, I see that yes, yes it is. I can’t decide whether I am very surprised or very unsurprised that they didn’t prevent the same thing from happening again. Hm.

• Optimaximal says:

I don’t want to sound like I’m defending them, but it sounds like a case of an un-expected bug causing this (after all, if its even causing the intro movies to lag, it sounds like something more fundamental like a start-up memory leak than in-engine performance issues).

Heck, we’ve even seen cases in the recent past where they’ve hung a performance fix on a third party (usually graphics) driver update that hasn’t been released and they’re now scrambling to push a fix out to work around it.

• RedViv says:

Another game I can’t run at all despite trying EVERY SINGLE DAMN THING suggested in forums and whatnot. Woo!

• fredc says:

Like Grundus says, thanks RPS for saving me from Rage part 2 and more id software fuckwittery.

I very nearly bought this today but will now be waiting to see when and if us AMD/ATI owners can actually run the thing.

• Flopper says:

Lesson of the day. Stop buying AMD/ATI trash. I thought people would’ve figured that shit out years ago…

• Azhrarn says:

As you well know, AMD/ATI GPUs are not trash and generally the best performance per monetary unit money can buy, the main difference is that unlike nVidia, AMD does not regularly give developers millions of dollars to buy off a shiny logo at the start of the game and help “optimize” the game for their cards only.

• Ich Will says:

AMD actually does that just as much as Nvidia but I agree, AMD make some world class products and only a fool of a fanboi would rule out either company.

3. Mungrul says:

So, Bethesda buy id and all their associated intellectual properties, id guys all start jumping ship to move to Occulus, Bethesda release an ex-id IP game with numerous technical problems.
    Who could have foreseen that?

The intellectual property itself is no longer important. It’s the people who made that IP in the first place who are valuable.

Now before people come in and tell me that the past couple of Wolf games weren’t developed by id, both Raven and Grey Matter had a direct line to Carmack et al during development, and those guys were heavily involved.

• Armante says:

“.. id guys all start jumping ship to move to Occulus..” As far as I know it was only John Carmack that went?

I don’t see why Bethesda would want to release anything but a decent game; why on earth would they waste time and effort, lose sales and blemish their name (even further, some would argue) by releasing something that doesn’t work well?

• Spunky McGoo says:

Ever heard of the Elder Scrolls games? :P

• Armante says:

Heh, yup, all very true. I guess what I was trying to say is that I can’t imagine they would want to release something sub-par just to spite the likes of Carmack who’s left.

• GamerDad says:

I think I’m the only person in the world who has never had crashes in unmodded gamebryo games. Things get quite unstable when you introduce the jigglebutt mods, though.

• Mungrul says:

Ken Scott, ex-343, formerly of id.
        Matt Hooper, Rage design director.
        Michael Abrash? Yeah, most people know him as having worked for Valve, but he also worked on Quake.

There’s further rumours of even more id techies having jumped ship for Oculus:

• Flopper says:

There’s nothing wrong with the game other than a launch day bug. The game itself is one of the best yet. Shit happens. You’ll get over it.

And lol @ your “loose change” conspiracy theory. Dood it was an inside job!

• Mungrul says:

Sorry, I’m genuinely confused here, but are you replying to me? I mentioned no “loose change” theory, and I’m certainly not angry about the game as I don’t even own it.
            Maybe you clicked “Reply” to the wrong person?

• adwodon says:

Bethesda are pretty notorious for releasing awful games in a technical / polish sense. It’s actually incredible what they get away with when Blizzard, EA or Activision would get torn to shreds.

Fallout 3, Oblivion & Skyrim all had heaps of problems on launch, Brink was a total shambles and RAGE had issues. Just about the only thing with their name on it that was a solid success without major technical issues was Dishonored.

• Strangineer says:

How do you know they didn’t? Parts of id actually worked directly on parts of this title, and I know for a fact for example that Todd Hollenshead and Tim Willits were involved in the game’s creation, I would guess that Carmack would as well(not that he did much game design back on wolf3d).

4. BobbyDylan says:

This is why I don’t preo-rder games anymore.

Now iv you’ll excuse me, I’ll go back to my early access games.

• Caiman says:

Not only do I not pre-order AAA games, I don’t buy them for several weeks/ months after release. Let others pay a premium to test their product, I’ll wait until they’ve fixed all the issues and I can usually pick it up at a discount to boot. Sadly, getting to be the first to play these games is more an exercise in frustration these days.

5. brulleks says:

Myriad systems. Myriad systems. Myriad systems.

AAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggle.

*Grammar Nazi overload*

• Harlander says:

I had to look this up to find out what your issue was.

That’s some quality pedantry, well done.

• Edlennion says:

Is that wrong?

I was under the impression that “myriad” as a noun could mean “ten thousand” or “an unspecified number”. Even if you only accept the original meaning (from the Greek? I can’t remember) of “ten thousand”, it’s still grammatically correct to use “a myriad of systems” (but personally I accept both meanings as valid).

• particlese says:

As do Merriam, Webster, and Oxford…I am confuse! Maybe the robot nazi fizzled because it realized halfway through that its beef was impotent.

• Harlander says:

I think the original objection was that saying “a myriad of systems” is equivalent to saying “a ten thousand of systems”.

The example sentences give the feel that “a myriad” is a later-appearing use. It’s probably been kicking around long enough for picky types to have given up by now

• Cens says:

Webster: Usage Discussion of MYRIAD

Recent criticism of the use of myriad as a noun, both in the plural form myriads and in the phrase a myriad of, seems to reflect a mistaken belief that the word was originally and is still properly only an adjective. As the entries here show, however, the noun is in fact the older form, dating to the 16th century. The noun myriad has appeared in the works of such writers as Milton (plural myriads) and Thoreau (a myriad of), and it continues to occur frequently in reputable English. There is no reason to avoid it.

• Continuity says:

Regardless, “Myriad systems” still sounds better to me than “a myriad of systems”. I guess that just the usage I’m used to hearing.

• particlese says:

Can’t remember the last time I used the word in either form, but the adjective form does sound more familiar and natural to me. Thanks for the edification/edjamacation!

6. Armante says:

a 10 GIGABYTE day-one patch?

Damn – who dropped the ball on that one?!

7. nrvsNRG says:

Ive been enjoying the hell out of it, apart from a freeze/crash on exiting the game all the time, an annoying 60fps cap, native v-sync that doesnt work so you need to force it, and no AA options (i added msaa in launch options which helped some, but still looks dodgy). I dont have any of the major problems ppl are reporting.

8. DThor says:

I suppose I should be grateful for all you people keeping ATI alive so nvidia has competition, but sometimes I shed a tear over the scale of human fail as wave after wave of lemmings assault that impenetrable wall of software suck. They have always had decent, market driving hardware to light a +12 Candle of Anxiety under nvidia’s mail clad butt, but repeat after me : the drivers SUCK. HARD. They always have, long before and ever since the AMD acquisition, and it doesn’t look like it’s a decent business model to burn it and start over. Horrid, evil little gnomelike drivers. Now of course some blame has to fall on the developer, but you see those pointless hardware stats every release cycle combined with the price and your little gerbil eyes glaze over. Oh sorry, that was lemming, wasn’t it? Thank you, lemmings, for keeping competition alive.

• Edlennion says:

AMD owner here (recently upgraded from a 6850 to an R9 290), and in my experience the drivers are fine, as long as you wait a few weeks after any big game’s release (which I do anyway. My only recent exception was Rome 2 – suffice to say I won’t be making that mistake again!)

Even if the drivers suck, AMD cards (with their drivers) are pretty much on par (better for some games, worse for others) with the price-equivalent nVidia cards (with their drivers) so you’re not really losing out by having the “worse” drivers.

Edit: since writing this, my screen went black for a minute then turned back on with the popup “You display driver has crashed and recovered” – maybe AMD don’t want me to spoil their reputation :)

• kraken says:

AMD drivers are actually solid. they only have that reputation because of nVidia fanboys like yourself hammering on it all the time.
      I play most games near-ish release and the only ones to have issue in recent memory are Rage and I guess that new Wolfenstein game (haven’t tested it yet).
      nVidia drivers also happen to have some issues once in a while, difference is that AMD fans don’t blow it out of proportion and go flame every comment section ever.
      Why can’t you simply enjoy your favourite brand without going on a holy crusade and spouting nonsense on every occasion like a little marketing drone, I’ll never understand.

• gunny1993 says:

You know when you immediately jump on the “Your fans are fanboy skum, but ours are golden little angels” boat, you kind of undermine whatever your point was.

Go to any real forum on PC tech and you’ll see fanboys on either side and when you get down to it and do the math, both companies are pretty fucking shit right now in their own ways.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Nvidia owners who think the grass is greener on their side of the lawn are ignoring some relatively major issues right now, like the infamous and long-standing Flash/internet browser/video driver crash debacle.

• gunny1993 says:

The grass is brown and dying on both sides of the fence, with both companies revealing poor performance gains at increased price points compared to 3 or so years ago any differences between frame stability, SLI quality, compatibility issues are all somewhat minor.

Hopefully new 20nm tech will actually reveal a reason to upgrade a card.

• Shadow says:

I don’t know to what extent that’s hardware issues as opposed to lack of software optimization. Most AAA games these days come out on consoles as well, and if often developers can’t be arsed to make a 100% proper PC version, it’s unlikely they’ll bother optimizing the software to the point it can take full advantage of hardware current “next-gen” consoles can only dream of.

• Deadly Sinner says:

No, don’t you get it? If a game works poorly with AMD, it’s always AMD’s fault. If a game works poorly with Nvidia, it’s always the developer’s fault.

• XhomeB says:

Let me tell you something as someone who couldn’t care less about brand loyalty. I had an nVidia card not so long ago and from my experience, their drivers were RUBBISH. Sure, for the most part everything worked fine when it came to new releases, but each new driver broke some older game (resulting in artifacts or some other nonsense).
      If something’s changed, then I’ll gladly buy a new nVidia card, but judging from what I’ve read on various forums, the problem still persits.
      I have my own share of gripes with AMD drivers, too (13.1 onwards totally broke Darkstone, for example and apparently the brand new v14.4 suffers from some serious issues), but the whole situation sure as hell is not as black-and-white as you portray it to be.

• Stevostin says:

I have ATI AMD most of the time. As you said it the driver have been blamed all the time for now what ? 15 years ?

I did own a GeForce or two here and there. I probably will again. But I completely fail to see how ADM drivers would be better or worse than NVidia. I update mine only when there is a problem with a game, and that is once every two years. It just works. I have options in the setup, that I don’t use. It just works.

There are two reasons why I favored ATI/AMD: actually, prices, I try to buy the best horsepower/fps offer in my price range and more often than not it’s an ATI/AMD. Second, I was interested in an old test that showed 2D display was substencially better on ATI, and 3D was more regular on them too. It was visible by then but it was 10 years ago so I guess it may no longer apply. I’ll probably get an nVidia next time, just to check the other side of the pond :P

• DarkLiberator says:

Someone sounds a bit salty here.

• Chorltonwheelie says:

I know many won’t want to hear this but since I got over my brand loyalty (barely disguised fanboi’ism tbh) and jumped to nVidia I just haven’t had any of the pain, frustration and financial heartache I used to have trying to get ATI cards to just bloody work as advertised.
      I know there are a thousand things to blame, I’ve been down that defensive rout before myself, but they’re just not in the same ballpark.
      None of us want just one big provider charging what it wants with no viable competition but tech mags talking up ATI when the real world results just don’t match up is wrong. Don’t shoot the messenger.

• fish99 says:

Isn’t it just their OpenGL drivers that have issues? Doom 3, Rage and now this, all id, all OpenGL.

9. derbefrier says:

It wouldn’t be a pc game without AMD cards performing horribly on launch.

10. Seafort says:

It runs perfectly fine on my old Geforce 460 card. Rage did as well once I’d tweaked the vsync settings as in forced them on :P

Feels like a pretty good game so far. No complaints here :)

11. UncleLou says:

I never thought I’d say this, but I am actually considering getting this for the PS4 and selling it on once I’ve finished* it.

Help me.

*played it for a bit

12. tobias says:

Sorry to hear about your woes Alec. Just so people don’t overreact, however, do know that lots of people (at least those with nvidia cards) don’t have any issues. It’s all locked 60fps and loveliness for me, and id tech 5 plays very nicely with adaptaive vysnc, just like with Rage.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

I have an AMD card (7850) and like you It’s running beautifully at 60 fps (though cut scenes are locked to 30 for some reason). I had to update my drivers as it was crashing on start up, other than that it’s golden.

Having said that, I haven’t tried ramping the settings up from medium yet.

13. particlese says:

I’ve also heard that it helps to remove your video card, blow on the pins, plug it back in, then hit the power button a few times while holding the reset button, and finally, release the reset button while it’s powered on.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Not sure if serious. You sound serious, but I’m not sure. ?.

• GallonOfAlan says:

You obviously are too young to remember how to get NES carts to work,

• SkittleDiddler says:

No, but I was a diehard Sega guy back then anyway, so I never had to deal with that Nintendo shit. I just find the combination of blowing and button pushing particlese is suggesting to be a little unorthodox as a do-it-yourself process.

• Ich Will says:

That method worked perfectly on the master system/megadrive too

• particlese says:

It was definitely a weird process, but it really did work on my family’s NES (replacing “video card” with “NES cart”, of course). What’s more is that it seemed to work significantly better than simply blowing or resetting or power cycling alone, but I think everyone had their own ritual that seemed to do the trick back then.

Another element of truth in my claim is that I’ve actually had to blow out several RAM slots and at least one AGP or PCI-e slot like that to get various computers booting again. It was usually the last thing I tried before the computers started working, so I’m convinced it really does work in some situations. It’s always given me a good chuckle, at the very least.

All previously-mentioned truth aside, I wasn’t really being serious with that original post. :)

• SkittleDiddler says:

particlese, it took me awhile to realize that you were referring to the actual NES “dusting” process. I tip my hat to you, good sir or madam!

However, I don’t think I’ll be trying that with my PC :)

• particlese says:

Yeah, I’d be afraid of blowing up my motherboard or something with that power cycling part, myself!

• MacTheGeek says:

To start the game, just type in the launch code:

[up] [up] [down] [down] [left] [right] [left] [right] I D D Q D [Enter]

14. thedosbox says:

Run as Administrator and in Windows 7 compatibility mode

Surely no developer is so incompetent that a modern game needs to run as an administrator after the installation has completed? Running applications as a standard user has been in the Microsoft guidelines since Vista!

• Bull0 says:

I think it depends on where you install the game to or where it’s trying to write files to. I know I had to run Mass Effect in compatibility mode to get it to boot for the first time the other night.

• thedosbox says:

Sure, that’s sort of understandable for a game that came out in 2007. But this is a brand new game released in 2014. Though given Alec’s update, this sounds like the infamously poor ATi/AMD OpenGL support than anything to do with administrator access.

• Bull0 says:

2007… you’re right. Practically another world. I’m lucky my tape deck still works or I wouldn’t be able to enjoy such antiquities as Mass Effect

• thedosbox says:

Point being, 2007 was when Vista was released – along with the guidelines to run applications as a standard user.

15. Sian says:

It should also be noted that the game is censored for those living in Germany, Austria or Switzerland. That’s no surprise given the subject matter (though censorship here extends beyond just removing the swastika, which is unusual), but it also means that gamers in those countries have no choice but play the German localisation. Yes, that includes the French and Italien speaking parts of Switzerland, which is incredibly stupid.

And no, buying an English version in retail doesn’t seem to help. A proxy probably will, though.

I’m not going to buy that game until they give gamers a choice. Especially those that don’t speak German at all.

• gnodab says:

Yeah, Germans still seem to think that Nazis need constitutional protection. Being able to shoot them, would endanger the psychological well being of the youth. Airing Guido Knopp’s Geatest Hitler Moments every goddam day, since at least the mid nineties, on the other hand seems to be perfectly fine….

On a more constructive side note, I am pretty sure that Gamersgate sells the US/UK Versions exclusively and that you’d be able to link them to your Steam account without problems. It worked for me with Sleeping Dogs, though I haven’t tried it with Wolfenstein yet, since I never buy on release.

• Sian says:

“On a more constructive side note, I am pretty sure that Gamersgate sells the US/UK Versions exclusively and that you’d be able to link them to your Steam account without problems.”

The thing is, I get conflicting reports on that. Some say that should work, others say it doesn’t. Those that have tried and failed, at least in the threads I’m seeing, got their keys from unauthorised keysellers, so they might’ve been bought in Russia – I guess you know that some games bought in Russia don’t work everywhere because Steam wants people to buy local. Well, more or less.

Edit: German gaming news sites say that Bethesda themselves said that the game was geolocked, i.e. the uncut version can’t be activated on an IP in Germany, Austria or Switzerland.

• gnodab says:

Hm, this sounds bad. What a bummer.
          One could try linking it while on a VPN, but then again steam has your usual shipping address…
          So in this case I have no idea and the game is to expensive to take the gamble for my taste. Plus I’d be loathe to give a cent for a mangled and censored version which protects the sanctity of Nazism.

If anyone has success with getting the real version of the game I’d be very interested to hear though.

• rebb says:

What is this “sanctity of Nazism” stuff you keep blabbering about ?
            Did you actually inform yourself why these things get censored ?

Games are not classified as “Art” in Germany (yet?) as opposed to TV and Film, hence showing things like Nazi Insignia is forbidden.

• gnodab says:

Yes very much, but i don’t want to get off topic too much.
            The important thing is to have fun and shoot nazis.
            And if there is a way to do this without resorting to piracy I’d be thrilled to know!

• UncleLou says:

I don’t like the negligent use of the term “censorship”, but anyway – how has it been altered accept that the swastikas have been removed? Because, as far as I know, it hasn’t. Or do you mean the audio, as addressed in your post?

• Sian says:

Well, I can only go by what I read on the Steam forums, but apparently there is no mention of Nazis anywhere. They’ve been completely cut out of a story where they’re the main antagonist. I think that counts as censorship, even though it’s mostly inflicted by Bethesda/Machinegames.

Oh, and the German version has its own Steam forum.

• nrvsNRG says:

WTF?! How…That doesnt make sense. The whole point of the plot is that the Nazis won the war and rule the world now. How the hell can they erase that?

• Sian says:

According to Wikipedia, they call the Nazis “the Regime”. Which is elegant enough a solution, but it shouldn’t be necessary.

Though I have to stress that my issue isn’t with the censorship as such, but with it being applied to countries that don’t have those laws against the depiction of Nazi symbols and with the fact that people are forced to use the German dub (which is often inferior), whether they speak German or not.

• Smion says:

Yup, apparently, (and as in the german version of the 2009 Wolfenstein-Game) you are figthing the Wolf-regime which I’m pretty sure is a change that’s not necessary to keep your game from being banned (actually, “indicated” which means that you are not allowed to sell it to minors or display it openly/advertise it in media that can be accessed by minors) as there’s quite a bit of WWII games in which the Nazis are just called Nazis. I’m quite certain as well that stuff like region-locking isn’t demanded by the law, though I guess that might have something to do with the restriction of advertisement in media that can be accessed by minors since minors can easily gain access to an uncut version over the internet.

16. elevown says:

TB got review code- though only 12hr before launch. His first impressions mentions no performance issues or bugs- so i wonder if there is some issue with the launch patch, which he wouldnt of been playing with? P.s He seems to think its pretty fun.

17. HiFiHair says:

“Rocking a Kepler.”

Tch. Kids.

18. BarryK says:

…and another game falls victim to AMD’s piss poor OpenGL implementation.

This is why people don’t do to much low level optimisation any more and just stick to DirectX

• Beelzebud says:

One small problem with your theory. Id tech 5 uses Direct X for rendering on the PC.

• fish99 says:

Not according to John Carmack-

MPC: So, you said Rage is a 60Hz game. Is it an OpenGL or DirectX game?

JC: It’s still OpenGL, although we obviously use a D3D-ish API [on the Xbox 360], and CG on the PS3.

• VaD says:

I have ATI/AMD RADEon 5770 and AMD Quad Core Athlon, 8Gb of RAM and WIN7 64bit and game is working fine, my friend have intell i7 Quad Core with AMD/ATI 7770 Saphire video card and the game is working just fine, maybe the problem is something else

19. gabrielonuris says:

I know that some games are indeed bad optimized, but sometimes PC games are simply too demanding… What I’m trying to say is: beware when you ask for ‘next gen’ graphics, your PC might not run the game properly, and you will bitch about drivers and optimization. And please, keep in mind that graphic options aren’t there for you to simply turn it on; sometimes it is better to turn some options off, I know it might hurt some egos, but at least you’ll be able to play with some more FPS.

20. HisDivineOrder says:

Well, considering its an idtech 5 game and all the “special” ways Rage played on AMD cards (not well), I’d argue you chose the wrong video card for an idtech 5 game and an nVidia-tech, TWIMTBP’ed game like Watch Dogs. Who’s fault is that? ;)

Remember. AMD is reprioritizing driver development from DirectX to Mantle to get it up to speed. For a cash-poor company that has laid off a large percentage of its employees in the not so distant past, how many resources toward driver development do you honestly expect them to have? Back before the layoffs, they couldn’t get a Rage driver out without totally missing the date and then releasing a driver that actually retarded performance on any OpenGL game.

I would not expect better now and I would not expect idtech 5 to be enhanced very much at this point with Carmack gone.

Seems obvious to me if you want this game to run well, you should have bought nVidia. If you want a TWIMTBP game to run well, you should have bought nVidia. The funny thing is AMD doesn’t tend to optimize TWIMTBP games very much and tend to take forever on the very few they do. But nVidia works very hard to optimize games, especially Gaming Evolved ones, because they know it’s important to look their best on games where they arguably should be their worst.

Plus, they’re NOT cash poor and they regularly pour tons of money into DirectX 11 driver development (ie., the 337 series that added shader caching to help boost DX11 performance to near or beating Mantle levels).

I know you saved some cash on that R9 290, but you had to know there was a reason for that. ;)

21. Einhaender says:

One of the reasons why I can’t understand the absence of demos these days.

I don’t want to see if I like the game, I want to see if it’s not a poorly optimized bughole.

Today many games that look like they re able to run on a toaster, run like crap(never stop looking in your direction M&MX:L).
    And some that look amazing, run perfectly fine.

Optimization is what it’s all about these days and theoretically my rig should play the game as fine as possible, but I’ve been there before and I’m not jumping into the optimization hell again before I’m sure that it runs as somewhere close to intended.

I can seriously understand the folks that pirate a game if there’s no demo around.

• The Random One says:

You’re not making enough effort to understand the exec mindset. Here’s an aid:

“Boy, a good chunk of our costumers are completely unable to play our game. If we had put out a demo… none of those people would have given us their money! We really dodged a bullet on this one!”

22. crocket21 says:

I am enjoying it and have had no technical issues.

23. epicnetwork says:

Free beta code key Wolfstein the new order can go to the page and check it yourself http://wolfsteincode.blogspot.com/ Enjoy guys:

Comment on this story