Conceptual Theatre: Irrational Vets Making The Black Glove

By Alice O'Connor on June 3rd, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Smell the Glove.

Though BioShock is seemingly continuing, essentially everyone who ever worked on the series has split up, split off, or travelled to the four corners of the world. BioShock’s one of the finer modern FPS series, sure, but what might its makers do freed from the demands of sprawling development with huge budgets and mandatory face-shooting? We’ve already seen Gone Home and Eldritch from BioFolks gone indie, and now another group are having a crack.

Several Irrational Games alumni have announced The Black Glove, a first-person game where you’ll need to alter people’s past lives to change a production in a strange theatre. Ooh, metaphysical!

The Black Glove is set in The Equinox, where you’re putting on an event showing a spot of art, a film, and some music. To please the crowd and critics, you’ll get to fiddle with the past lives of the artist, film-maker, and musicians to improve their later work. And to see what happens as you mess with time, I guess, as it sounds like it’ll give room to make ‘mistakes.’ Inspired by Binfinite’s ‘1999‘ difficulty mode, might I suggest a ’2014′ mode where one faces Internet commenters too. Polygon have the skinny on all this.

The ranks of developers Day for Night Games include Joe Fielder, a writer on BioShock Infinite at its Rapturian DLC Burial at Sea, Binfinite and Burial senior environment artist Chad King, and series character concept artist Robb Waters.

All we have to go on for now is ideas, albeit some splendid ones, and a few pieces of concept art. I have no idea what “the maze of the space minotaur” is. We should see and hear more of The Black Glove when Day for Night launch a Kickstarter campaign next month (yes, yes, simmer down).

It seems that after making a BioShock game, some folks are keen to continue exploring the genre and its ideas, taking them to new places–under their own direction. Both Gone Home and Eldritch were certainly immersive sim-y. With The Black Glove’s philosophical slant and especially its interest in the act of creation, if you added guns, why, you might almost have yourself a BioShock!

, , .

Top comments

1. JP says:

Re: Bioshock veterans going indie, don’t forget (Bio2 designer) Kent Hudson’s “The Novelist”! Also I’m leading Spacebase DF-9 at Double Fine, depending on whether you count that as “indie” :]

I worked with Robb and Chad on Bio1, they’re super talented. Good luck guys!

1. The Random One says:

They should give the player a gun on the first act but only allow it to be fired on the third.

2. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

I love the idea of irrational vets making a game together.

• Ross Angus says:

I so agree. I’m not interested in the least in Bioshock, but if Irrational needed to spend all that cash so we could have some really interesting indie games, it was money well spent.

• Geebs says:

First vet: okay, new game; I’m going to sew a macaw to this dog.
      Second vet: goddamn it man, that’s insane! You’re irr-
      Third vet: yeah ok, we get it

• Niko says:

I’ll join.
        First vet: Hey guys, let’s give this hamster an elephant dose of tranquilizer.
        Second vet: I’m not sure it’s very ratio-
        Third vet: YOLO!

3. rustybroomhandle says:

How much more black could this be? The answer is “none“. None more black.

• Darth Gangrel says:

If they got Danny Glove-r to do voice acting for it, it would be even more black.

• Keyrock says:

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn’t a glove, believe me!

4. tormos says:

So Irrational (or at least ex-Irrational) might be finally over the compulsion to insert mediocre FPS gameplay into their high quality plots?

5. JP says:

I worked with Robb and Chad on Bio1, they’re super talented. Good luck guys!

• Alice O'Connor says:

I’m appalled that I could ever forget. Cheers, JP!

• thaquoth says:

Well.

You made edscii. Which is the most wonderful toy thing i spent far too much time with. That absolutely counts for some indie-cred in my books. :)

• Messofanego says:

I was gonna mention The Novelist, but see others already have! :D One of my favourite games of 2013.

6. Premium User Badge slerbal says:

I hope they run a ‘Smell the Glove’ poster. There is always more space in my heart for Spinal Tap references :)

7. strangeloup says:

The Space Minotaur makes me think of this fella out of Anarchy Reigns, but I suppose there’s limited ways to do that kind of idea.

The header image on this article gives it the dubious qualification of Concept Art That Looks Most Like A 1990s Roleplaying Game Supplement Cover. (Reminds me particularly of KULT, if anyone’s keeping count.)

8. TheTingler says:

Considering that’s all you’re good for I wouldn’t judge.