Cop Ops: Battlefield Hardline Singleplayer To Be Less Linear

By Nathan Grayson on June 19th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Battlefield Hardlimes might feel eerily similar to Battlefield 4 in ways that call into question its worthiness as a full release, but it’s important to keep in mind that we haven’t seen everything yet. And while Battlefield definitely isn’t known for its memorable singleplayer campaigns, there is potential here. For one, it won’t be Just Another War Story because cops and robbers. And for two, Visceral has quite the singleplayer pedigree, what with all those times they killed outer space. I spoke with creative director¬†Ian Milham about his plans, and here’s what he told me.

Milham gave a brief overview of his hopes for singleplayer to RPS during E3:

“When we were thinking about how to do this game, I think anybody who knows us at Visceral knows that singleplayer is near and dear to our heart. We’ve done a pretty OK job of it before, and we have some pretty cool ideas for this one.”

“On the singleplayer side the stuff that’s important to us is maybe not do as much of a single-path linear rollercoaster that’s been done before. We want more tactical choice, more player choice. Things to do besides just shoot everybody. That’s not really a cop thing as much.”

He also likened the game to a Hollywood cop action flick a couple times during our interview, so probably expect some of that influence to pop up in the story’s progression and themes. All of this is in line/lime with one of the leaks that the sometimes not-so-good-ship EA sprung right before Hardline’s official announcement.

The not-just-shooting-dudes part, especially, is encouraging given that it is a bit odd (not to mention chilling) to have a cop game where a militarized police force runs around killing everyone. Choice is good, too. Battlefield’s never been about corridors and the shooting thereof, so the campaigns in Battlefield 3 and 4 were super jarring. Also not very good.

Hopefully whatever Visceral and EA eventually reveal matches Milham’s words. For now, though, are you on board with this idea? Does a less linear cop blockbuster sound like the sort of thing that’d get you interested in singleplayer Battlefield? Or is that term, singleplayer Battlefield,¬†just too much of a contradiction for you?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. DarkLiberator says:

A single player cop shooter game using the word Battlefield as its name. The whole thing is kinda a contradiction.

Though, I have always enjoyed Visceral’s singleplayer games, so they might be able to pull off the campaign portion, who knows.

2. lyje says:

I’m guessing the guy in the middle is singing “What Is Love”.

3. Bull0 says:

Why is this dubious cash-in getting blanket coverage? Am I on IGN?

• phelix says:

Why is RPS reporting on games that I don’t like, that are coming to PC and are thus PC-related news?

• Bull0 says:

Mega LOL!!!1 That isn’t what I said, though. I think it’s disproportionate, that was obviously my point.

• fractallatcarf says:

Eh, 6 stories in 2 months isn’t what I’d call “blanket coverage”, especially given that RPS prints 10+ articles a day usually, and E3 did just happen.

• Bull0 says:

Or 4 articles this week depending on how you cut it. “Blanket coverage” was me exaggerating for effect, everyone does it. My comment didn’t warrant this much discussion to be honest.

• nearly says:

‘Tis what happens when you exaggerate about a completely subjective problem.

Battlefield is arguably a franchise that is (or should be) most at home on PC and which used to be a PC only experience. This is probably one of the biggest shake ups to the formula, and, to be fair, is a hot topic for a lot of people.

• Shooop says:

Even PC Gamer (who is trying to become the IGN for PC gamers) can’t manage to fake any enthusiasm for this game. They posted an article about how one of the editors likes Team Fortress 2 way better.

4. Jackablade says:

Why is that one Muppet made out of leather?

5. ZIGS says:

Is the guy on the left supposed to look like Phil Spencer?

6. DanMan says:

That’s nothing but the usual declaration of intent. We’ll see how that works out.

7. Dodj33 says:

“Battlefield Hardlimes might feel eerily similar to Battlefield 4 in ways….” thats a shame, thats soured my expectations (note this was pre-typo fix)

8. DanMan says:

In other news: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/18/battlefield-hardline-beta-now-open-to-all-pc-gamers/

I don’t even care. Clicked it away when I logged into Battlelog lately to play some BF3.

9. Darth Gangrel says:

Ah, Battlefield Hardlime! After Rayman Oranges and Rayman Lemons, we now have another worthy entry in RPS’s citrus fruit citing cyberspace. Since most people on RPS are limeys, it’s quite suitable that they would propose such a name.

10. tom_trottel says:

Whats Battlefield Hardlimes ? Hardlimes ???

• Shooop says:

Well, see, when a lime and hard liquor love each other very much…

…You wake up in a parking lot without your shoes. I’m never allowed in that bar again.

11. Chris Evans says:

Got to say, I really quite enjoyed the singleplayer AI battles in 1942. Playing those skirmish battles in the demo for Secret Weapons of WW2 was what introduced me to the series, if they simply coded some strong AI, I’d be up for playing with them on the online maps.

12. HadToLogin says:

Can we already start raging about lack of females on that screenshot, or it’s only reserved towards Ubisoft games?

Comment on this story