Are You Going To Play The Witcher 3?

Geralt rehearses for the filming of his acclaimed karaoke performance of Tom Jones and Cerys Matthew's 'Burning Down The House', the video of which will be a special pre-order bonus for anyone who buys the Super Ultro Pointless Quaismodo Ultimate Master Plonker Edition of The Witcher

Not long to go now. Just under three weeks, in fact, until one of – if not the – most-anticipated PC games of the year arrives. Certainly, it’s the most-anticipated RPG in our corner of the internet. But I’m curious as to how many of you intend to make a date with The Witcher 3 [official site] on May 19?

Me, I’m not sure how quickly I’ll rush into it. I liked rather than loved The Witcher 2 (it seemed to lose some oomph halfway through), and my not being terribly impressed by the first game led to my first major encounter with an online ragemob, so the question is whether now is the time that the series explodes into its full potential. Everything we’ve seen so far suggests it’s playing with the biggest boys in town – if it lives up to its trailers it’s going to make yer Dragon Ages and yer Pillars look ever so humble. Or maybe it’s trying to do so damn much than the execution will be confused and bloated.

I hope not. I love the idea of this Eastern European studio making games based on until recently obscure-to-the-West fantasy novels and managing to totally overshadow the limitless resources of huge US publishers. I do love an underdog, and while CD Projekt RED aren’t exactly scrabbling in the dirt these days, now’s when, in theory, they go and stare Bioware right in the eyes.

So will I play The Witcher 3 in 2 weeks, 6 days and a handful of hours? Oh, probably. I won’t handle the review myself because binging on a 200 hour game is incompatible with having a two-year-old creating tiny apocalypses in my house, but I might have a crack at a slower-burning diary series if it proves suitably non-linear.

What about you? Have you put your cash down without waiting for reviews? Are you taking time off work? Have you calculated exactly when those 200 hours will be? Has anyone ordered up a shiny new graphics card or processor for the occasion? Or are any of you wary of committing, based on the first two games and/or what you’ve seen so far? Basically: what will you be doing on May 19? And what kind of pullover will you be wearing at the time?

1. Soulstrider says:

I would LOVE to play Witcher 3, Witcher 2 is to this day my favorite RPG. But there is no way in hell my PC can handle this game, so I won’t get it.

• Guzzleguts says:

You and me both, and probably many others too. I’m waiting for the age of organic PCs that self upgrade by growing a new graphics card

• Zaraf says:

My thoughts, exactly

• Horg says:

Just add water.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Science people are talking about storing info in DNA (which can store a ridiculous amount of data) and that eventually we could develop hard drives made out of DNA. Once that’s done, a wholly organic computer is the next step, but we’ll just have to be careful not to make the computers too intelligent, because then we might get fleshy Terminators terminating the human species.

• linea says:

Same here. That and I’m only about of a fifth of the way through Pillars.

I’ll definitely play it at some point but that will be after I’ve either upgraded my PC or bought a PS4…

• rabbit says:

I’ve still not got my keep in PoE. For anyone out there who has it – I’m liking it BUT I’m finding that the difficulty is not preventing progress, but it’s slowing it down enough that I have been feeling a little disinclined to play recently as I know I could very well be banging my head against the same encounter or two for the next hour , two hours.

Does the difficulty taper somewhat? Is there a moment of ‘ohhhh I get it!’? Is there a moment where at level X you should have the skills and equipment and party which allows you to encounter four wolves without thinking ‘ah fuck I’m dead’?

Or should I turn it down to easy difficulty?

• Horg says:

Mostly it’s about making sure your tank/s have the best armour and shield you can get, and having them go into the fight first. I found the difficulty dropped dramatically once I got Eder some plate armour and had him in guard mode. Using natural choke points is important as is using accuracy debuffs and crowd control. Learn each enemy types weakness from the bestiary and use the appropriate counter skill. Stamina recovery potions are essential on your tank/s. After about 10-15 hours, after picking up Durance and Kana Rua, I got into the combat rhythm of scouting, setting up fights properly, using per encounter abilities effectively, and it went pretty smooth from there.

• Volcanu says:

In addition to the above points,Having a Cipher in your party helps a lot too. They have a variety of abilities which can freeze, weaken or seize control of enemies- which is very useful for making mob encounters easier.

I found having 3 melee focussed party members (at least 1 being a damage dealer with a 2 handed weapon, and 1 a tank with sword and shield) to engage the more dangerous enemies, whilst your sorceror/chanter/ciphers use their abilities and ranged weapons from afar, worked well.

I would say the combat becomes much easier as the game goes on, but more because you find a party composition and tactics that work for you.

• Steve Catens says:

It’s not my intention to chest-thump, but I found the combat in PoE disappointingly easy, at least on the “Hard” difficulty. My favorite fights were always the bounty missions that were several levels over my head and really challenged my micromanagement skills. However, I didn’t find it so until I understood the engagement system, and how to manage (and exploit) aggro. That was the turning point for me. After that most combats just boil down to stick(stick enemies in place with a tank) & flank with damage dealers. It helps to have a rogue in your party too. You dont want them taking hits *at all*, but properly managed they will kill the shit out of most things in the game in seconds. Casters become really powerful at upper levels, but in most fights they were just baggage until I needed them for crowd control in a large scale encounter.

• kemald says:

Play it on console then ;)

• kemald says:

Don’t be so sure about it. CDPR scales their games really good. And dont forget mods ;)

• Cinek says:

Witcher 3 is actually said to be better optimized than Witcher 2, so I wouldn’t be too worried. Also: It’s a PC game, so you can change settings. No need to play it at a very high details.

• Soulstrider says:

I don’t even meet most of the min requirements, and I won’t dump all that money to then play with 10fps

• Katar says:

I’m in the same boat. I only meet the OS and Hard Disk space minimum requirements. I built this PC in 2008 and it’s done pretty well with just an upgraded Graphics Card 3-4 years ago until the last year.

I’m going to wait until I get a new PC before playing which I’m aiming to do after I’ve seen Intel’s new CPUs and AMDs new card releases. Maybe I’ll wait for a GotY edition if CDProjekt do that.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’m below the Min Req on all accounts except HDD space, I have a dual core CPU, a Radeon HD 6650 GPU and a whole 4 GB of RAM. I’ll probably get the Goty edition when it’s at about 10 euros. My backlog is large enough that I can wait that long

• Frank says:

Ditto, except I can’t play W2 yet either.

• Steve Catens says:

Sad to say I’m also skipping Witcher 3 due to the prohibitive hardware reqs. It’s not a game I want to experience at minimum spec. By the time I’m ready to upgrade, GOG will probably be giving the game away like they have with the last two, and I’ll be all geared up for Cyberpunk which I’m actually much more interested in than the Witcher franchise.

• sirarchin says:

Got a new 980 just for this ocation

• Jediben says:

Got an i7 4970K and 2 970s driving an acer 1440 gsync for 2015, so I guess this game qualifies. Sadly I now have to work so much to pay for them all that I will be lucky to achieve 200 hours of sleep this year, let alone game time!

2. Lakshmi says:

I broke my ‘no pre-order’ embargo for this – so hopefully I’ll be firing it up on day 1.

• DThor says:

Shockingly, me too – I swore preorders never again, yet there’s that little grey title sitting in my RPG category on steam…
      I’m reasonably sure it won’t be in any way a “mess”, I’ve had a good time with the first two, more or less. It may or may not be an obsessively playable game, but I’m pretty sure Red knows what they’re doing… (said the guy who was *thid*close to preordering Rome II)

• k47 says:

Rome II is the only game I have ever preordered. I have to say, it’s biggest success was to erase from me the desire to ever preorder again.

• dongsweep says:

Me too! Not to mention 20% off on steam for a game I knew I would have to buy eventually is motivation enough.

• DClark says:

I normally don’t preorder, but with my enjoyment of The Witcher and GOG.com, CDProjekt created enough goodwill in my eyes for me to preorder Witcher 2. I enjoyed that game a lot and felt it was well worth the price of admission so when Witcher 3 preorder rolled around I ponied up the money for it.

So long as Witcher 3 delivers I’ll be rolling over that goodwill to preorder Cyberpunk 2077. I figure even if they lay and egg and deliver a bad game in the future, I’d still have gotten more than my money’s worth from everything that’s come before.

• Bereil says:

Same here. I bought the Witcher 1 when it was on sale a couple years after its release. Loved the first a lot. Got Witcher 2 on opening day. Loved that one, too. Now I’ve got the 3rd pre-ordered, it’s the second I’ve pre-ordered, ever (the other being Pillars of Eterniy).

• MeatMan says:

I’m also a “no pre-order” guy, but when I realized today that, on eBay, people were selling GOG codes for The Witcher 3 (that was included with an Nvidia card purchase) for $22, I jumped on that.

3. AngoraFish says:

I’m thinking of getting a refund on my preorder from Steam, since I’ve yet to complete Witcher 2…

4. Xan says:

I put cash down for it already..

..but my games library is a graveyard of games “I’ll maybe play some day”.

I don’t want to play Witcher 3 without playing the first two first, and I haven’t got far into Witcher 1 yet.

• BobbyDylan says:

I found the Witcher 1 quite hard going. It was good, but it didn’t engage very well. The second one is a lot better. Didn’t put t down till I went all the way through it.
      Twice.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

I agree with this, the first had no hook about it. The second was excellent.

I shall be playing this, yes, and my pullover will be of the hooded variety, because apparently it’s still fecking winter in Stoke.

• Ringwraith says:

The first’s combat is eeeh, and starts off slowly. Act I has some dreadful pacing and lots of running back-and-forth across the same fields, and then has a disproportionately hard boss fight (tip: it’s not immune to one-hit kills from stun/knockdown).
        It eventually starts rolling though, also when the pacing slows down at later points it’s actually come after a rather hectic section so makes sense.

• Thankmar says:

I just started Witcher 1 to see what the fuss is about, and I had to force myself a little bit to go back to it. I like it, but it truly starts slow. I am gonna try to make it a bit into Act 2 before skipping to Witcher 2.

• Ross Angus says:

Does the combat mod fix any of the combat issues? I can’t find it now, but I read that one of the devs had put it together.

• Cinek says:

Depends what you consider to be “combat issues”. I played it in a vanilla game, and haven’t had any issues with combat.

• nimbulan says:

I found the combat mod for the first game made all the issues significantly worse. I was expecting it to do away with the rhythm clicking system but it just hid the prompts. It gave basic enemies in act 1 the ability to stun you as well as doing twice as much damage as vanilla. It was so unbalanced and frustrating I uninstalled the mod and started over halfway through act 1.

Now the combat mod for the second game (made by the same person I believe?) is amazing. It makes dodging actually avoid attacks so you don’t just have to sit there and tank every hit as well as adding a ton of new combat animations and making the controls a little more responsive. It’s still a problem but not as much as vanilla.

• Ringwraith says:

The second game did, but not the first, the first is stuck with its weird ways.

• kevinspell says:

Oh man, I want to play Witcher games, but the combat… Combat in 1 was unbearably bad, I got bored with 2 because of it and to answer OPs question, no I will not be playing 3 right away. I’ll probably wait for the 5€ edition because combat still looks like you are fighting with cotton swabs.

• revan says:

TW1 has a very lengthy Chapter 2 or 3, can’t remember very well anymore, but besides that part of the game, I really like it. Second really has annoying combat for me, plus consolized inventory.

• Ringwraith says:

Which is funny when the first’s inventory was really kind of terrible, and couldn’t store any spare equippable items in it anyway.

• Cinek says:

Skip Witcher 1, go to Witcher 2. You won’t be missing anything important.

• slerbal says:

Heh, each to their own, but I far preferred the Witcher 1 over 2. I gave up on 2 after one too many “now you have to control some random other character you don’t care about in what is basically a non-interactive cutscene”.

• Horg says:

I really like TW2, but the section during the (minor spoiler) battle for the mist in act 2 where you take over the Kaedwen infantry ghosts (end minor spoiler) might be the worst experience i’ve ever had in a game. Taking away all your potions, bombs, signs, traps, the ability to roll, then giving you the sluggish movement and hit recovery animations of a normal NPC while forcing you to fight a 4 man mob in a tiny arena surrounded by fire………fuck everything about that section. If you didn’t take the Riposte skill from the swordsman tree then you were doomed, as it was about the only witcher skill that still worked.

• Excelsior says:

Same here. I found the combat in witcher 1 more practical and easy to get use to where as in witcher 2 i never really knew what i was doing untl i tried some 1000 times to fight Letho… literaly… i would have quit but i just kept going for the story. and i only completed the Roche path, tried the other but did not like it compared.

And what i missed in W2 from W1 was the spooky atmosphere. specially the music was like that and it just sinked me in and took me deep inside the world (hoping to see that part back in w3), The witcher 1 has its own kind of vibe thats really addicting and the story actually tells more about the witcher lore than witcher2 (2 i felt is more about politics and stuff). So i would not recommend to skip 1 (go until you fight the Wild Hunt. its really worth it)

5. Conrad B Hart says:

No. It’s too long. Games like that were fine when I was a teenager but if a game says “40+ hours!” as a bullet point that means no sale, these days. My experience with Witcher 2 felt mostly like “Ooooh-kay, what was I doing again. Go where? Talk to who, again?”

• Gnoupi says:

I particularly enjoy games which are reminding you where you were last time you played them, giving you a context of the quest, the previous events, etc.

They are rare, but it’s very pleasant in the context of playing short bursts and then putting down for a while.

• brat-sampson says:

Really? W2 had of of the more comprehensive Journals in recent memory. There was a lot of background Politicking going on, certainly around the middle, where you’re kinda dumped into not only a previously unestablished faction war but also one with a constant distraction, but the individual quests always seemed pretty well laid out.

• -funkstar- says:

This. “200 hours of content” makes it an immediate no-go. Frankly, these days I’m suspicious of anything with a run-time in double digits.

6. brat-sampson says:

While both titles so far have benefited enormously from the eventual construction and release of their Enhanced forms, I’ve plumped for this one already and am looking forward to diving in May 19th. I played W2 before it got enhanced and had a good enough time with it, attempting now to run it again and take the path personally less traveled. I don’t mind that historically CDPR are prone to being a bit clunky in some ways when weighed up against their storytelling, world-building and customer approach. Early reports all seem to indicate they’ve vastly improved their approach to First Impressions which IMO seemed to be most people’s falling out point with the last titles. My secondary complaint would’ve been the limited nature of the areas, which while pretty sizable, only had a few different creatures each. Looks like they’ve got that fixed up too.

7. Perkelnik says:

– Loved Witcher 1, even more after thorough replay last year
    – Loved Witcher 2
    – Bought new PC for Witcher 3 (and GTA V, I admit)
    – Have Witcher 3 preordered

Any other questions? :)

• Ross Angus says:

Yes: when a Daddy Witcher and a Mummy love each other very much, is that where collectable cards come from?

• Henson says:

No; Witchers are sterile. Collectible cards are bastard children.

artrexdenthur says:

If Witchers are sterile and knowingly so, though, can they truly consecrate the holy bonds of matrimony? I think not; and if not, the collectible cards need not be bastards. /obsolete technicalities

8. Asurmen says:

A day may come when my patience fails, when I forsake my bank account and break all bonds of sensible financial planning , but release it is not this day. An hour of mouse clicking and shattered keyboards, when the age of having a girlfriend comes crashing down! But release is not this day!

9. Gnoupi says:

Probably not, at least not yet.
    I would need a new gaming rig for that, The Witcher 2 was already making my current one melt. (Or at least trigger the emergency shutdown before that happens if I wasn’t alt-tabbing regularly).

10. RQH says:

It should be right up my alley, but it’s just not a world I care spend 2 hours in, let alone 200.

11. melnificent says:

I have it pre-ordered on *whispers* PS4. Because a friend and I both want to play it so account share wins over PC this time.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

RPS staff, please, one month ban for this guy.

• melnificent says:

In my defence it’s the ONLY game I’ve bought for PS4 this year.

• Horg says:

Oh, well in that case your punishment shall be limited to being fired out of a cannon, into the sun, just the once.

• UncleLou says:

That’s not much of a defense because you SHOULD have bought Bloodborne. :)

artrexdenthur says:

Yes, and then immediately cracked it and ported it to PC for The Good of The People!

• UncleLou says:

I’ll most likely do just the same. I’ve been a PC gamer since the beginning of PC gaming, but these days, the PS4 is “good enough” for me. And more convenient.

I am slightly ashamed. Just a little bit, though.

12. Maritz says:

I can’t put my finger on why, but the more I read / see about Witcher 3 the less I want to play it. I was hugely stoked for it when it was first announced as I loved 1 and 2, but now it’s this close to release I fell like I’ll wait for a few months or for the enhanced edition further down the line.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It can go wrong in many ways, my finger was quite shy on the preorder button for quite some time and now i’m mostly trying to stay optimistic.

• Blackcompany says:

This is me to a tee.

Tens of hours. Huge, open world. Numerous side quests.

Heard all of this before. And I have yet to see a single game that was not dragged down by being an open world slog fest full of fetch quests and meaningless filler.

13. Greg Wild says:

Still only just finished Act 1 of Pillars of Eternity. Since starting a job that seems to see me working 45-50 hours a week I just don’t have the time/energy for long, deep RPGS :(

• kemald says:

You’ll toughen up after a while working :) after that then you can tackle long games.

• Perkelnik says:

Play at work. There, problem solved. Neeeext! :)

14. Eery Petrol says:

This game is unplayable on my system. When that is upgraded, this game is high on my list.

15. zat0ichi says:

All of the above.
    Pre-ordered
    New Graphics Card
    New CPU/Mobo/Ram

Witcher 3 was the trigger
    but KingdomComeDeliverance, GTAV, Squadron 42 & elite dangerous are all set to make sure I get good use out of my new toys

16. technoir says:

Nah, even if my system could run it I think I’d ultimately regret spending 200 hours of my life as yet another grim white man of action in a “dark and mature” fantasy world. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it would be fun, but in this day and age I need more than just fun to justify investing so much time and effort into a game.

• technoir says:

edit: For instance, if I happened to find 200 hours of free time beneath the sofa cushions I’d probably be better off *making* a game instead of playing one.

• gunny1993 says:

Ermmm, you do realize that you don’t have to spend 200 hours playing the game?

I mean, are you seriously suggesting that because someone said that the game has 200 hours of content that unless you play all those hours you ….. die a horrible death from not knowing vital information?

• technoir says:

Even if most of that 200 hours consists of sidequests the main story must still be dozens and dozens of hours long.

Besides, I’m a completionist so I’d probably play through pretty much all of the optional stuff even if it was dreadful. It has happened before, I put 200 hours into Skyrim as well only to realize I hadn’t really enjoyed any of it past the first ten hours.

• Rise / Run says:

My problem is less with the time (though 100+ hours is way more than I can handle for a cRPG these days) and more than I never finished Witcher 2 because of the horrible boss battles (couldn’t make it past the dragon on two separate playthroughs). Also, while the grim/’mature’ setting was surprising in Witcher 1 (hadn’t read the books), it got tiring in Witcher 2, and the level of misogyny is just too much for me to take. So I don’t think I’ll play it at all. Oh well.

• Razumen says:

What else than fun do you need to have to justify playing a game? Achievements? Pointless grinding? IMHO the Witcher series is one of the best current fantasy games, much more interesting than another modern manshooter.

17. JustAPigeon says:

I had a miserable time trying to play through the first two games (I failed every time), felt like a chore. So nah I won’t.

phuzz says:

Same here, I bounced off the first one a couple of times (there’s some bastard fight near the start of W1 which starts with an unskippable cutscene which put me off for ages), managed to get maybe a quarter of the way through and still wasn’t having fun so gave up.
      Heard the Witcher 2 was more fun, tried playing it a couple of times, even got past the first annoying boss fight and just got fed up with the maze of fetch quests which didn’t seem to advance the plot.
      I feel like I’ve put enough effort into trying to enjoy these games, so no W3 for me (until it’s on sale in a couple of years and I decide to try it anyway).

• Cinek says:

Majority of fetch quests are side quests. You can skip them.

• Zenicetus says:

If you skip too many side quests (and the associated monster-killing XP) in Witcher 2, you could end up under-leveled for some of the boss fights and scripted sequences. IIRC, XP is awarded for each individual monster kill under a certain level, as well as quest completion.

That’s actually something I’m a little worried about with Witcher 3 (although I’ll buy it anyway), since it’s hyping the big open world so much. Will we have to explore the entire game world and do almost all the side quests, to level up sufficiently for the big boss fights in the main story line? Or will it use an auto-scaling system so we can freely choose how much exploration and side quests we want to do?

X_kot says:

This describes me, too. Instead, I watched a LP of the second game, which sufficed.

18. OmNomNom says:

I found the combat in Witcher 2 very tiresome but loved most other aspects of the game. As long as Witcher 3 has decent combat there is every chance it could be stellar.

As long as it is more fun than the snooze fest DA:I turned out to be

• inf says:

There are truckloads of gameplay videos where it is obvious that the combat has not changed in any fundamental way. Which frankly i am deeply disappointed by since in my opinion combat in this franchise has been a joke since its inception.

For me personally, the redeeming qualities lie with the great source material and world building they are able to get out of it. I simply love the Witcher universe. But mechanically? It’s a very gimmicky ARPG, that could have used a big overhaul for not only it’s combat, but general RPG systems design as well.

Let’s hope those 200 hours don’t turn out to be a bore with nothing but shallow combat and fetch quests (indeed like DA:I), that’s all i can say.

SoundDust says:

I played through the Witcher 2 just to see how the story concluded, and the combat was basically a hindrance along the way. Some good things of course – the game was well made, the story had some cool surprises and the crafting mechanics were great. I guess I’d rather have my RPG’s do my sword swinging for me..

And for the story – at the end I thought I’d rather watch Game Of Thrones, anyway. :P

19. Auru says:

Last time I went full out upgrade mode was for Witcher 2.. and it was glorious, I can’t afford to do that this time.. so I hope I can just play the game without too much trouble!

burn_heal says:

I haven’t played any of the other Witchers so nope.

I did buy The Witcher 2 when it was $5, but I may not even play that because
    1. it’s a long game and life’s short
    2. there are lot’s of other great games I have that I’d rather play
    3. I don’t even like fantasy RPG’s that much

• elderman says:

I did dip into The Witcher 2, but it runs poorly on my system. I really didn’t get far enough in to judge the game, but it seemed… not over solicitous of my time. Not saving before quicktime events was what quickly drove me to more rewarding game experiences.

What I saw of the world of the Witcher didn’t thrill me either: too macho.

• gunny1993 says:

You could have just … turned off the quick time events, like any sane person

21. Spacewalk says:

I haven’t played the other two yet.

22. SIDD says:

Pre-ordered but probably won’t get into it right away considering that I’m still fabbing around in Skyrim and still haven’t gotten very far into Witcher 1 and haven’t even launched Witcher 2.

Mostly pre-ordered to support a gaming company that doesn’t seem too focused on screwing over their fan/customer base (although the announcement of DLC for W3 before launch kinda smeared their crispy clean image a bit for me)…

Now…get on with that Cyberpunk 2020 game, please!

• Horg says:

I think their DLC announcements were very positive. We are getting a bunch of stuff for free that any other publisher would call a micro-transaction, and a couple of substantial expansions months after launch. Compare that to Evolve, where they had content portioned off so that you had to spend over £100 at launch to get everything, and CDPR look like saints in comparison.

• SIDD says:

I guess I should have clarified that with DLCs I meant the “paid for expansions” … all the little cosmetic add-ons and whatnots that doesn’t really affect game play .. those are items I would never pay for anyway.

However maybe it’s just me, but it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth when paid-for DLC that seems to be pretty much complete is announced even before the game is out and I somewhat feel that in addition to what I’ve already paid, I now have to add another £20 on top of that to get the full experience.

Of course by the time I actually get around to playing W3, the Dir. Cut/Extended Version/GOTY is probably available for about a fourth of what I paid for the base game anyway.

23. PoulWrist says:

Not when it launches no. I did play Witcher 1 around its launch, but dropped my playthrough (which was actually almost through, was running around in the icefuture) when they announced the enhanced edition. Which ended up taking way longer to come out than they first stated. Played through it when it came. Still sits as one of the best games I’ve ever played.

It was wonky and weird, but the overall connection to european folklore (which I guess might not resonate well with brits as you don’t really have any) was really a major bonus to me. As well was the grittier fantasy world where racism was a thing that was penned out heavily. Not just the causal old friendly “dwarves don’t like elves” thing that’s so ingraned in fantasy as harmless. But the ghetto building and such.

I was interrupted in my TW2 playthrough by something, which I did not play at all at launch because I heard a lot about bugs plaguing it and remembering how the first one suffered from a lot of issues at launch, I decided to hold off. Not long after that, they announced the EE and hey. I did enjoy it, but not as much as the first one. I’ll need to go back and reload the save one of these days.

TW3? I will certainly buy it, but I won’t be playing it till maybe 6 months down the line at best. The same deal with Pillars of Eternity, I’m not touching it till sometime after summer.

• Zenicetus says:

For what it’s worth, I just completed Pillars of Eternity, and with the current patch (1.04, I think?), it’s been very stable on my system. I didn’t find any game-breaking or seriously annoying bugs. There are some small balance tweaks I expect the devs will be working on, but nothing that really affected my enjoyment of the game. If you’re just concerned about bugs, I’d say it’s safe to play now if you’re interested.

I enjoyed the game. It dragged on a bit towards the end, and there was maybe a little too much brainless filler combat, but it’s a decent story.

24. kemald says:

Preordered Witcher wild hunt CE à long time ago ;) I must say this game looks awesome. Love the two first games, and the second game has great combat.

25. hollowroom says:

I got interested in this, so I bought Witcher 2 in a Steam Sale, but I’ve never really got past the tutorial section. I’m just not interested enough to put in the time to master the bloody awful controls. So I’ll probably give it a miss.

• kemald says:

did you play with keyboard/mouse or xbox controll? Witcher 2 has great controll with a xbox controll. Far from awful anyway.

• hollowroom says:

I actually tried both, still found it unnecessarily complicated.

26. Chaz says:

Well I pre-ordered it from GoG; got the discount down to £36 as I own the other two games. So I may very well just be playing it when it comes out.

Hopefully it won’t release at the same time as the Elite 1.3 update. I shall be some what torn if that does happen, although my money will still probably be on me playing The Witcher.

27. Morcane says:

Of course I’ll be playing the Witcher 3, but not until I’ve properly finished some of the backlog I have – bloodborne (nearly there), GTA V and a bit of PoE Awakening beta.

JiminyJickers says:

I’m so playing this the moment it comes out, cannot wait. I’m currently reading the English translated books in preparation. So excited, haha.

basilisk says:

I am not, thank you.

The first game was far too long and an embarrassingly juvenile idea of what “maturity” was. It was clunky and I did not enjoy the story, setting, characters, combat or anything in it very much, but plowed through until the end (which I still sort of regret because of all the wasted time).

Much later I started playing the second game, after everyone finished raving about it. It was surprisingly clumsy, ran pretty badly and still had an embarrassingly juvenile idea of what “maturity” was. I did not make it very far, because I once again did not enjoy anything in it very much. Far too many unpleasant people talking in stiff wooden animations about stuff that the game gave me no reason to care about. I also made the mistake of playing it soon after Dark Souls and the combat system felt like a cruel joke.

I am genuinely unable to understand what people like about this series so much. And I think that with the third one, they’re promising far more than they can possibly deliver given their history of general clumsiness and miserable optimisation. But we’ll see about that.

• Cinek says:

What I get into most are the storylines and just how non-linear this game is. RPGs by definition should be non-linear, yet there’s barely anything that has the amount of possibilities and how they influence world that Witcher-series does.

• kemald says:

you say you dislike everything with Witcher, any way you plow through it. A several hour long game. How come? I think you haven’t even played the Witcher series. It’s more like you’re just here complaining. But why?

basilisk says:

Oh, so I guess I didn’t play it at all? It was a dream? What a relief then.

Should I link my Steam profile with hours played or something? Send you my save file from the ending? Take a solemn oath? I actually did finish the game. I had read far too many positive reviews saying that it gets better and also expected it to end much sooner than it did. By the time the grail legend and Lovecraftian merfolk appeared out of nowhere, I was running on fumes, wanting to see it end. Little did I know how far away the end was at that moment.

I know that the series has some rather overenthusiastic fanboys, but I know what I played, thank you very much, and I don’t care in the slightest whether you believe me or not.

30. Colthor says:

I’ll probably play it one day, but nowhere near release; I’ve not even started Witcher 2 yet, and have plenty of other ginormous RPGs, never mind other games, in the queue before 3 would be likely to get a look in.

And in the meantime the price will go down to next to nothing, and a Director’s Cut version that fixes all the problems will probably be released.

31. Laurentius says:

Witcher 1 has horrible off-puting prologue and very weak Act1 but since entering Wyzima game hit such bold stride with so much coll things going on, acts 2, 3 and 4 are great adn elevates Witcher1 as on eof the best cRPGS I’ve ever played. Witcher2 is well made and clever in its two paths design and has far better plot and ending that almot every AAA cRPG realesed in recent years. But so far W3 looks very uninspiring to me ( apart from graphics of course). It’s not showing anything original or interesting, just following popular designs. Simply I don’t think that even CDPR is able to match open world with strong narrative.

• Cinek says:

What was most off-puting in Witcher 1 for me was combat – with this timing for “flaming sword” and hard counters (enemies being nearly invulnerable to certain styles or wrong sword) it felt like an endless QTE sequence with some memory game mixed in. I absolutely despise it, can’t think of any RPG with worse combat than TW1.

Combat in Witcher 2 wasn’t great either, but it was on a level of TES games or Shadow of Mordor – it wasn’t too creative, didn’t force you to think too much, but it was genuinely fun if you chose to play it mixing different things and strategies. It was nothing like a chore of TW1.

• Razumen says:

W1 combat wasn’t bad at all, it was more stat than skill based like a true RPG should be, and it emphasizes knowing which combat styles to use, proper positioning and preparing before fights with potions, oils and weapon upgrades. It’s much more tactical than other games that involve rolling around everywhere like a retard and spanning the counter button.

• Laurentius says:

Exactly, W1 doesn’t bother me at all, actually it’s got this nice feeling, that with perparation and right style game shows that Geralt is badass, so what that four Salamandras jumped me, I’m switching to group style and heads start rolling.

• jerf says:

What are you basing your concusions that “Witcher 3 is uninspiring” and “doesn’t have strong narrative” on? Of course they aren’t showing much narrative in gameplay videos, they don’t won’t to show too many spoilers. What did you expect?

• Laurentius says:

Because of what they shown so far look awfully like DA:I, game by devlopers that also praised themselves with good storytelling but which semi open world is a vapid chore and story doesn’t live up to anything remotely good being stupid and diminished by its pacing, not utilizing its world in slightest ( bar Gray Warden quest ).

• jerf says:

Let’s wait for the full game, or, at least, for the reviews to arrive, shall we? As I said, they wouldn’t show anything substantial story- and narrative-wise in gameplay videos, which means that you have no way of knowing whether it’s similar to DA:I in those respects before you actually play the game (or read complete reviews by trusted reviewers).

• Zenicetus says:

CDPR does have one advantage for strong narrative here, because Geralt is an established character by now, with a history only hinted at in previous games. It It sounds like all those loose threads will be wrapped up in this final one, along with the usual monster hunting in side quests while Geralt earns some coin.

It’s a great opportunity to write a strong ending for the character… a noble death, or riding into the sunset for more adventures, whatever. That’s a pretty strong hook for a story. And hopefully a better ending than what Bioware did for Shepard, although that’s setting the bar pretty low.

So I’m not too worried about a storyline getting lost in the open world design. I’m more worried that they haven’t tightened up the combat system, because we’re going to be doing a LOT of that while advancing the main story. But maybe it’s better than it looks in the previews. At least he isn’t rolling around on the ground again, so that’s something.

32. Barchester says:

Will play, but not yet. I managed to convince myself that it’s a good idea to finally play parts 1 and 2 before this one, so I started playing the first game last week. By the time I’m done with Assassins of Kings, Wild Hunt will be a lot cheaper as well.

33. Biggus_Dikkus says:

Preordered it like year ago. Now apparently cant play it with my old Quadro FX card. Bummer

Harlander says:

I’ll probably get this after it comes down in price, but I can’t justify getting it at release to myself. I’ve been pretty disappointed with big-ticket RPGs lately – I lost my grip on both Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin. Ho hum.

35. montorsi says:

When it’s deeply discounted. I have very little patience for RPGs that don’t let me create my own character. Typically you get bog standrd gruffy mcgrufferson who is as interesting as watching painting dry, and the Witcher is no exception.

• jerf says:

Have you read the books and played the first two games to completion? What are you basing your claim that “Witcher is no exception” on?

Witcher is far from standard.

36. Blaaaaaaag says:

I pushed myself very hard to make it 12 hours into the flavourless snore-fest that is the first game. I’ll never finish that one. I made it something like 6 hours into the second game before I got distracted with something else. It was substantially more interesting, but still not enough, I suppose. The rate things are going, I don’t expect I’d spend very much time with this new one, so I shall likely wait for a sale, and then never install it anyway.

37. GallonOfAlan says:

I really wanted to like Witcher 2, but the rails-iness put me off after a couple of hours. I wanted it to be like Skyrim in terms of open-world. So I will probably play this, but it’ll be on PS4.

38. MadArcher says:

I loved The Witcher and it did not impress my graphics card.
    I still have to play The Witcher 2 ( amount of games to play is too damn high !)
    But I know I will play some day The Witcher 3.

39. schlusenbach says:

I got it as a bonus with a new graphics card and I’m looking forward to play it. From all the videos I’ve seen it looks as if they have removed a lot of stuff I didn’t like about Witcher 2 (loading screens, no jumping, invisible walls, non skippable animations for drinking potions) and the game world looks simply fantastic.

40. Skeletor68 says:

I played the first two and loved them. Unfortunately my fans were already screaming at W2 so it would take a new machine for W3. I also have a massive backlog, someday not doubt but not at launch this time (I did for W2).

41. Gus the Crocodile says:

Didn’t like the first one at all. Felt like it wanted to be “gritty” but it only managed to hit “juvenile” for me.

Heard a lot of good things about the second one, so I bought it for cheap on sale, but the first thing the game did was throw me into some dumb arena combat tutorial thing, and it turns out I really didn’t like the combat or something, because I quit and haven’t tried it again since.

The third one I haven’t been following except to glance at the occasional (quite pretty) screenshot. So no, I probably won’t play The Witcher 3. Do have fun with it though, chaps.

• hollowroom says:

That is exactly what happened to me.

• Jeeva says:

I hate to ask, but that sounds like you’re describing the Arena add on for the game, rather than the actual single player. (Oddly, I think it is the first option on the main menu)

Are you sure you hit New Game and not… Arena-something-something?

• DClark says:

The arena is a tutorial section before what we know of as the start of Witcher 2. If I recall correctly it was added for the Xbox version of W2 and patched into the PC version. It measures your combat ability and suggests what difficulty you should set the game to, then will lead you into what we know of as the start of the game.

42. deadfolk says:

I really want to. But I need to finish The Witcher 2.

And in order to do that, I need to start it.

And in order to do that, I need to finish The Witcher.

Backlog ftw.

43. Kaben says:

I bought a new Nvidia GTX 970 and got the Witcher 3 for free, which was nice.

Im really looking forward to it, I loved Withcer 2, ( 1 not so much) but im not very far into Pillars yet so will have to agonise on whether to play it or wait until i have finished Pillars.

44. mf says:

Yes. CD Project Red has earned so much good will in my eyes that I preordered the game. Also, it does help that I like I and II. Im going to play the shit out of this one.

45. Morte66 says:

There’s a lot that’s attractive about it, but ultimately it’s an action RPG with “timing based combat”, and I don’t think I’d enjoy actually playing it. If it could do something like the turn-based option from Fallout 3…

• kemald says:

“Timing based combat” and “actionRPG”? Where did you get that idea from? Have you played the game? If so, where did you get it, it hasn’t been released yet. I’m quite knowledgeable in rpg’s and The Witcher. And every information about Witcher Wild hunt points to solid rpg’ing and No timing based combat.

Dorga says:

I will be hunching down on books in preparation of a 5-exams-in-two-weeks period, dreaming of a pc capable of running the game, which is waiting placidly in my gog library.

47. Saarlaender39 says:

Pre-ordered on GOG, the day, the possibility to pre-order came up.

So, of course I’ll play it – somewhen.

Thing is – my present PC won’t handle this, so I have to buy a new one first, which is no problem in itself, the money is there, I have a certain machine in mind…only I still hesitate because I haven’t finished the second Witcher yet (only the first chapter), and I wonder if, by the time I actually come around to play this, the machine I’m going to buy won’t be significant cheaper than it is now.

48. Lanessar says:

Fumy, this game wasn’t even on my radar. I’m an RPG junkie, but the Witcher games never really interested me. I got a copy of TW3 for free with a video card purchase, started watching some trailers, and now I’m interested in how they are doing open world.

I was personally disappointed with Dragon Age. Invisible barriers everywhere, and you do the same six or eight activities on different gated maps with slightly different landscapes. The story was okay, but certainly much like every other BW game. It definitely felt more themepark than open world, and I probably won’t finish my playthrough on that one.

The last decent “open world” game was Skyrim, but that was only because of the mods – and that went so far before you notice nothing really changes in the world – all of these earth-shattering events, and very little reaction from these rich environments. And the same six voice actors doesn’t help. Mods helped a lot with this, but didn’t quite solve it. I did get my 1400 hours in, though.

49. BTAxis says:

Bounced off the Witcher 1, bounced off the Witcher 2.

So, probably not.

50. CurseYouAll says:

Have two concerns from what I’ve seen as gameplay so far:

– physical animation seems a bit choppy – movement lacks realism and enough frames, it seems; swimming animation looked pretty bad in particular, running too to some extent

– combat seems very arcade-like – swordplay basically involved two main swings being used most of the time; there was lack of weight