Possibly Maybe PC? Final Fantasy VII Remake Announced

Playing with fire is dangerous, but the worst the fire does is consume you. Fire won’t then kick your charcoal corpse yelling “That’s what you get!” while holding back firefighters and medics because you’re “a pigging idiot who deserves this and worse”. No, only playing with fan nostalgia is that dangerous. Speaking of, Square Enix announced a remake of Final Fantasy VII [official site].

They haven’t confirmed a PC release yet, but they’ve been quite good with PC lately. The trailer says “Play it first on PlayStation 4”, which is of course E3 code for “Someone gave us money to pretend for a while that we won’t release it elsewhere”. So I’ll tentatively post about the JRPG here.

The remake doesn’t have a proper name yet, so I’d like to suggest VII Final Fantasy VII: Cloud Returns – Seven Times Septaradox. A fair few folks who worked on the original are onboard, including director Tetsuya Nomura, producer Yoshinori Kitase, and writer Kazushige Nojima.

And… it’s impossible for the remake to recapture what the original meant to people 18 years ago. But if you, like me, only played a few minutes’ around a friend’s house then got really bored and stopped, maybe it’ll catch your eye this time around. Or maybe, heaven forbid, you weren’t even born in 1997 when it came out; if that’s the case, you can play it while parkouring and vaping, and declare it “totally megabit, grandma.”

So yes, as I say, so far it’s only announced for the PlayStation 4, but Squeenix’s own weasely wording makes that look quite temporary. Given their recent commitment to PC (fingers crossed for a FFXV PC announcement at their show tonight, gang!), I’d be surprised if it hit PlayStation and Xbox but not PC. So here, watch this trailer:

1. Soulstrider says:

I hope so, FFVII would probably be the only FF game I would never give a shot since it’s in that nasty early 3D period where everything is blocky, horrid and probably evil. If it get’s a remake and in a year or so it comes to PC I would definitely play it.

• ansionnach says:

There really isn’t a lot to FFVII. Gameplay-wise it doesn’t do much that wasn’t already seen on the SNES. The story was typical incoherent animé-fodder and the over-use of over-long prerendered cutscenes is an anti-pattern best left in the past. The music and atmosphere are superb. I’d recommend playing the original with fan mods to improve graphics if that’s really important.

• Soulstrider says:

I don’t really get how any of what you said is a negative point but ok.

• ansionnach says:

Enjoy it, then. I’d definitely recommend taking the original for a spin – can’t imagine the remake being better. I do have the original big box PC release but for all my misgivings I’ll hold onto it. I loved it once upon a time and was taken in by the story, too. There isn’t much beyond its style, atmosphere and music, but all of those are exemplary.

• Seraphithan says:

Which is not true for FF7. There is really only one long pre-rendered cutscene which is the ending at ~9 minutes. The next longest is the intro at 2 minutes. If you look at videos played closely together the Weapon attack on Junon is probably the longest at 3-4 minutes split over 6 clips.

Not to mention that many of the cutscenes aren’t even cinematics as we are used to them now but effectively background animation and camera changes that weren’t possible with the games pre-rendered backgrounds.

• ansionnach says:

Oops, shouldn’t have limited that to pre-rendered. Some of the most annoying animations are in-engine ones, e.g. the summons. There’s too much self-indulgent, merciless exposition as well, especially considering the story isn’t up to much. None of these can be skipped. This is also something that was present in earlier iterations of the series – FFIV was the first to really put you to sleep with long, unskippable story bits. The entries that allow you to create your party and get on with things are my favourites (III & V).

• Seraphithan says:

Hmm I feel that is a bit like being annoyed at all that singing in a musical. Various JRPGs certainly have a different story/gameplay balance but I feel like, the sometimes admittedly over long story blocks, are a feature of the genre.

• vorador says:

To be honest, i think most will buy it for the nostalgia. For plenty of people it was the first jrpg they ever played, myself included.

Otherwise, it’s in the middle of the pack of Final Fantasy series. There’s plenty of better JRPG.

2. Lombar says:

Honestly, I cant understand why people are so excited about this.
    The game’s history was great.. but we all know it at this point. People just wanted this remake because the graphics aged horribly bad (although I remember at the time playing it was fascinating).

I am still waiting for your article on the new XCOM2 gameplay demo tho, I dont know if you missed it or what, but c’mon, publish something already :D

• Alice O'Connor says:

Mate, I sat in this chair for 17 hours yesterday, give me a sec.

• Bull0 says:

“Honestly, I can’t understand why people are excited about this game they love dearly from nearly 20 years ago getting remade with modern graphics and features”

• Lombar says:

Indeed, I dont get it.
        You loved it when it came out, ok. Why not just preserving that memory?
        It’s not like it had a groundbreaking gameplay.. it’s just an OK story. It’s not like it’s impossible to replay the game if you want it to (it’s as easy as it gets and it costs absolutely 0USD).

• Bull0 says:

“Modern graphics and features”

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Aside from the immense overhaul which already is something new, are you actually suggesting that people shouldn’t even replay the original?

I know that tampering with nostalgia can be dangerous, but really, this is not just a little remake, and it surely won’t play with the rules of the past.

Now, the real question is, will it turn into a trainwreck? Well for that we’ll have to wait and see.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Actually i just read that again and no, you’re not suggesting that, but it still seems some quite controversial logic.

• Monggerel says:

Kill your darlings, etc.

phuzz says:

Why preserve the memory, when I can relive it?
          When I find something I like, I keep playing/watching/reading/listening to it until I start to get bored, but if I run across it again ten years later looking liek it does in my memory, of course I’m going to have a go. I enjoyed it last time so I’m pretty sure I’ll enjoy it again.
          Except that boss fight at the end that I never got past. Didn’t like that bit much.

• SaintAn says:

PC has graphics mods that already make the game look much better, so it’s not like we really needed this. But the best FF has already been remade (FFTactics WotL obviously), so it’s only fair they remake the 5rd (maybe 6th) best FF for the fans. They really should spend the resources they would use on this to remake FFXI into a co-op game though, since it’s ending and going into maintenance mode. I’d hate to eventually lose that masterpiece because it’s an online only game.

• Jenks says:

5rd sums your snark up quite nicely.

• Snargelfargen says:

The graphics mods go some way towards making the game less horrendous, but frankly it’s still pretty bad. You have to be a pretty hardcore fan to go through all the bother of installing them these days.

The first 4-5 of FF7 are actually pretty brilliant for a jrpg. It’s worth opening the game up for a new audience.

• Ejia says:

It’s true that the best FF has already been remade, but that doesn’t mean FFVI shouldn’t get another.

3. Anthile says:

Frog Factions 2 is looking good.

4. Seraphithan says:

I have to say the narration in the trailer is pretty smart. Works in universe as foreshadowing of the plot and out of universe as a direct address to the fans.

• RedViv says:

That has baffled me. They actually got someone to write smartly. In a trailer. For a Final Fantasy game. Addressing the fans with actual care.

Anyway. I wanted this ever since the glorious end credits music in Crisis Core. Still gives me chills. And I don’t even like FF7 as much as I do some others of the series.

• amateurviking says:

Really must get around to playing crisis core. Baffles me that SE haven’t made it available digitally for Vita/PSTV.

• theoriginaled says:

It warms my heart to see that someone at least actually understood what they were going for with that. The internet as a whole seems fairly baffled by it.

5. FreeTom says:

Everyone’s known for years the what they need to do is “make another Final Fantasy 7”

Perhaps they shouldn’t have taken it quite so literally.

6. Blackcompany says:

Strangely, I would like to see real time, action combat in this remake. I know it wont happen and that’s fine. Turn based is good too. I just think it would be cool to be able to directly wield and swing the Buster Sword and other such weapons in real time combat.

Still looking forward to the remake with cautious optimism.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I guess they’ll try something similar to FF15, or at least i doubt they’ll go back to FF7’s system.

I know they’re treating it as a classic and everything, but they usually follow their own internal trends as they change, and in this particular case i have the feeling that they’ll change a lot of stuff for this one, to the point that the plot might be the only one thing that somewhat follows the original.

• amateurviking says:

I think it would be fairly straightforward to preserve the materia system almost verbatim whilst making the action at least partially real time. Might end up going too close to FFXIII just-press-a-button-and-we’ll-deal-with-it-shh-there-there-go-to-sleep-little-one* sorta thing though.

Honestly though I’d be fine with FFX style ATB (i.e. a little more refined than VII but not so much that it’s internet pitchfork time).

More than anything I am looking forward to basically all of Wall Market and Gold Saucer because JRPG nonsense in 1080p FTW. I hope they don’t take the story too seriously.

*NB I *liked* the paradigm system, but it would be a bit shit in FF7.

7. Wowbagger says:

Someone made a good point elsewhere that a lot of what made FFVII work was because of the bad, low poly 3-d rather than despite it. It allowed some goofy comedy moments to work. I can’t see some of the big set pieces from the original working quite the same with modern visuals. Cloud in a dress and red XIII dressed as a shinra soldier for a start.

• SomeDuder says:

Yea but imagine the Junon cannon battle against the water weapon (weapon = huge monsters, for those unforgivable babbies that havent played this) in an actual fully budgeted Square-made CGI segment. Or the meteor impact. Or even the sequence where the group revisits Nibelheim and its mansion. It’ll worth replaying this to find out what worked in FF7 because of the graphical limitations and what was pure luck.

I mean, all their character designs since FF8 basically involved throwing as many belts on their cast as they could render at the time (and lets not even mention their retarded focus on mobile games), but the movies were always pretty damn great.

• pepperfez says:

My fear/assumption is that this will be a remake of the serious dramatic masterpiece superfans remember instead of the awesome janky mess that actually existed.

• mattevansc3 says:

Doing squats to win a red dress and giving someone on the loo medicine to help their bowels is Downton Abbeyesque drama I’ll have you know.

Next you’ll be trying to tell me that not being able to cure Red’s dad with a soft or reviving Aeries with a Phoenix Down are somehow ridiculous plot holes.

8. JarLoz says:

I have to say that while I am surprised, I am not that surprised. Seeing how the Final Fantasy brand has been growing more stale as years go by, it’s understandable that Squeenix would tap into the nostalgia for the crowning achievement of the series. Personal opinions aside, FFVII is THE Final Fantasy game which brought the whole JRPG genre into true mainstream success. It’s very likely that FFVII is the most well-known and most celebrated game Squeenix has ever released. This 20th anniversary remake is basically a licence to print money.

What I am most surprised about is how good the actual trailer looks like. To me, the most important thing about FFVII was always the atmosphere and the themes, even more so than the actual story. The old 8-bit and 16-bit games were pretty much about basic fantasy tropes of knights and princesses and dragons, while the later editions are just high-concept scifi-fantasy-mashup… mess. Final Fantasy VII, however, was always a child of the 90’s. It’s a gritty and dark cyberpunk game about immensely powerful corporations, about eco-terrorists skulking among the dirty underbelly of a hellish cityscape, about twisted scientific experiments fueled by eldritch alien horrors. This is what Final Fantasy VII feels like. This is what newer Final Fantasies feel like. And judging from the trailer, it seems like Squeenix actually understands the difference.

So, I am cautiously hopeful. It might be that we’ll get a proper update to this classic game, one that understands and respects the values of it’s predecessor. It also might be that we’ll get yet another cynical cash-grab.

• Machocruz says:

But let’s not forget the gritty cross dressing. The gritty perky ninja character. The gritty cat riding the marshmallow demon. The gritty casino with bird races. Like many 80s and 90s anime productions, irreverence stands shoulder to shoulder with drama.

• Ejia says:

Midgar had a massive grit magnet. Its purpose was to attract grittiness so it could be used as an emergency power source.

• hemmer says:

Have you ever been in Midgar? Cross-dressing bodybuilders, man! A lot of the game’s charm came from even most of the ‘serious’ parts being somewhat silly and colorful (in every sense of the word).

Now personally I have my gripes with the game and much prefer other JRPGs, but grittiness is not something I would attribute to it.

9. Hedgeclipper says:

good god they’re letting people vote who were born as FF VII came out

phuzz says:

No, I’m pretty sure that if you read the Constitution/Magna Carta that anyone who is younger than us is not real and can safely be ignored.

10. Mokinokaro says:

It’s rumored Sony funded this remake which makes release on any other platform (including PC) fairly unlikely unfortunately.

• JoeyRavn says:

Well, it clearly says “Play it first on PlayStation 4”. If it was exclusive to Sony, they wouldn’t have wasted a second before showing off that exclusivity. Even if it somehow came out for PS3, they would have said it outright. I’m pretty sure that this remake will be released for PC some time after the PS4 version is out, much like Street Fighter V (which is also being partially funded by Sony).

The question is whether it’ll come out for Xbone… but, let’s be honest, who here cares about that? ;)

• pepperfez says:

They did the same for Street Fighter V, which will even have PC-PS4 crossplay.

11. dethtoll says:

Call me when they do an FF9 remake.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

And that, my friends, is the story of the phone that never rang.

• amateurviking says:

FFIX really holds up wonderfully though. And (unlike VII) the localisation was top notch the first time round. Would be nice if SE would do a PC version or if Sony would get finger oot and get PS1 classics working on PS4.

Mind you, you could probably emulate it on a calculator these days.

12. mattevansc3 says:

Not quite. Sony’s current moneyhatting scheme is to piss Microsoft off by exclusively releasing it on everything but the Xbox. Its less of a Wahoo we’re getting it first and more of a fuck you you’re getting it last deal.

13. lowprices says:

Man, Sony pretty much cleared out all of the long-running “I wish this would come out but it won’t” games last night. I was half expecting to read that Half Life 3 and Beyond Good And Evil 2 had been announced as PS4 exclusives.

I’ll be getting this, obvs, even though I know it doesn’t have a chance in hell of matching my memories of the original.

14. Shakes999 says:

Over-rated game gets over-rated remake. Let’s play the same game with better graphics. Brilliant!!! Not quite as dumb as “hey, fund this shenmue game so we can Line our pockets” hysteria but its close

• Asurmen says:

Devs never listen to fans. Devs are crap. Waahhhh.

*Dev listens to fans*
      Waahhhh why are Devs listening to fans?!

• Machocruz says:

People feel differently about things, I agree.

• Shakes999 says:

Well if idiots want to shell out money for the same dumb game except with a new coat of paint, then far be it from me to stand in the way of capitalism. Fool and money and all that

15. MikoSquiz says:

Yay, a new lick of paint on an old lick of paint with nothing at all underneath it. FF7 covered its sins (hilariously duff story, no notable gameplay, tedious busywork, unspeakably rubbish minigames, and .. that was about all there was to it, really) in audiovisual splendor. A remake replacing the sound and visuals is hard to conceive of as anything other than a cash grab.

• Lombar says:

To be fair tho, the original did make a lot of great stuff (for its time).
      The story was pretty good, and I actually enjoyed the minigames.. specially all chocobo related.

The materia system was good, and the end game was hard-ish.. so it’s not like it’s receiving all this praise and it was a shitty game.

That being said, I doubt the remake will be as great as everyone hopes it will be. Indeed, if they port 1:1 the mechanics of the game to a “modern game”, the game would suck.

• ansionnach says:

The story was laughable. It relied heavily on cynically-contrived emotional exploitation by building up an impossibly perfect character and slaying her for dramatic effect. Really cheap. It was all just teenage-animé melodrama with Sephiroth doing any number of incredibly evil things for no apparent reason other than to drive the plot forward: slaughtering innocents, burning towns, killing those close to you. Like Akira, there has been endless discussion about just what it all means, with many trying their damnedest to see something deep and meaningful in a plot that was a bucket full of stuff thrown in to provoke the maximum reaction: from a narrative perspective it was trolling its audience. Where things are unclear and incoherent it’s because they’re incoherent – there is no deeper meaning to any of it. It’s style over substance, the same as a lot of animé.

The mini games were ropey enough. The materia system was fun but the game was so easy that you could pretty much ignore most of the game’s systems and still win.

• Asurmen says:

Wait, you’re actually complaining about a plot that is TRYING to provoke an emotional reaction? That’s your complaint?

• Machocruz says:

“relied heavily on cynically-contrived emotional exploitation”

“Sephiroth doing any number of incredibly evil things for no apparent reason other than to drive the plot forward”

“there is no deeper meaning to any of it. It’s style over substance”

Execution matters. Craft matters.

• MikoSquiz says:

Oh, yeah, the materia system was fairly inventive. And it had some nice presentation and cute touches here and there. It’s not a complete turd. It’s pretty close though – shockingly lousy for something so widely beloved. But then, I guess the original Thundercats cartoon is fondly remembered, etc, etc.

• jrodman says:

Hey, back off man. I remember Thundercats fondly precisely *because* it was a complete turd.

• mattevansc3 says:

The materia system was really quite poor as it just turned the characters into blank slates with only their limit breaks to differentiate between them. Proper Final Fantasy class systems were the better choice.

• pepperfez says:

Replacing the visuals in something the size of FF7 is the very opposite of a cheap cash grab. It might not make for a great game, but it would definitely be an enormous, expensive undertaking. If they actually remake the whole game’s graphics to modern standards, I will applaud their mad dedication if nothing else.

16. Synesthesia says:

somebody hold me! It’s happening!

Screw the haters, this is a game that made a whole lot of us. Let’s hope they learned from the latest FF disasters, i loved the eco-story of FF7, and it’s not-medieval fantasy setting. What a game.

• Synesthesia says:

ok, I just watched that trailer, and I nearly cried. I’m so happy you guys.

• Synesthesia says:

ok i admit it i cried like a little girl and it was wonderful.

• Colt42 says:

I’m glad someone else likes it. This is bigger than Pillars, Syndicate, anything really…. I’m gonna buy a PS4 haha

I can’t believe all the hate considering the hoo-haa on here for every remade PC game. Remake a PS game and suddenly re-makes are a bad idea.

What a bunch of sad souls lol.

17. Snids says:

I’ve been playing FF7 emulated on my tablet with a gamepad.
    I’m around 30 hours in and I am absolutely loving it all over again.
    I played it through back in 1997 as a schoolboy. I remember getting up early to play it.

You get used to the graphics pretty quickly and under emulation you can set up the GFX rendering to smarten up the poygons and textures and it looks pretty good in a spartan sort of way.
    Boring people like to go on about classic pixel art aging well but the work on the character models, in battle especially is excellent and totally holds up. Some of what they put together with a handful of polygons is impressive and is just as legitmate as sprite work.

I honestly love this game.
    The random encounters stopped bothering me when I started looking at them as a way of levelling up my characters. Now when I get pulled into battle I’m OK with it instead of being frustrated.

The music is great. The Gold Saucer music can fuck off though.
    The setting is amazing. The plot is insane and is pretty deep.

I suppose the gameplay is probably it’s weak point. You’re just running a character around static backdrops and selecting things from a menu.
    But it’s great as an experience. And the gameplay fits into that. Going from town to town. Slowly improving your party. Opening up the world. It’s not all bombast and grimness. It’s quite a traditional JRPG underneath it all. And personally I wouldn’t normally have the time or the patience for them. But it doesn’t suffer for it.

I’d happily welcome action-based combat in a remake assuming they could maintain tactical depth. Although you could argue there isn’t even a huge amount of depth. You’re just attacking and healing. Unless you’re min/maxing with a guide so you can slash all/counter/mimic x 8 every turn.

FF12 has my favourite combat mechanics so far. Turn-based is dated and needs to go.
    It’d be nice to have more of an adventure game approach to the various towns and environments. You enter a town, speak to people, solve problems investigate things etc.

Honestly I’m in love with the original all over again.

But, yeah you have to admit there is something special about this game.
    Really what I’ve discovered is that it isn’t just nostalgia or what it was on release that made it good.
    It is genuinely good.

• Synesthesia says:

“Even if you’re one of those “Oh FF6 was great, FF9 was better” people. I played 10 hours of FF6 and completed FF9. FF6 is interesting but people only bring it up to prove their gamer credentials. FF9 was technically better and more polished. Better executed. But thematically wasn’t as interesting. I didn’t think the world was as interesting either, although there was plenty of cool stuff.”

Truth was spoken. Fist bump!

• Machocruz says:

Simplistic JRPG turn based is dated and needs to go. But Jagged Alliance 2, X-Coms, Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem Temple of Elemental Evil have never been bettered in tactical group combat by any real time system. Actually, that’s not completely true. X-Com Apocalypse and Fallout Tactics let you choose from turn-based and real-time-with-pause modes, and I think it was quite the good idea, each mode having its own strengths and weaknesses.

• Snids says:

I love both Xcom: apocalypse and Fallout Tactics’ combat systems!
        I think real-time with pause is where it’s at.

Really because you get time represented by y’know actual time. Instead of “time units”.
        Turn based is an abstraction used to represent real time in boardgames and pen and paper RPGs.
        We have computers now that can do those calculations for you.

I suppose when everything is unfolding at once it can be chaotic, which is where XCOM:A is good with its autopause when you spot an enemy etc.

But with turn based being a way of abstracting time, what the hell is going on with reaction shots? An alien shoots back when you’re in your movement phase? I don’t understand that, temporally.
        You can do reaction fire if you save some TU’s?
        What? so if I don’t move I get a chance to fire my weapon? It hurts my head, how does that relate to the linear movement of time?

I remember battles in Fallout Tactics taking HOURS to complete. Ugh.

• Ancient Evil says:

“FF6 is interesting but people only bring it up to prove their gamer credentials.”

Or, you know, people just genuinely feel strongly about the game? People are more likely to show respect for your fandom if you don’t belittle theirs.

Granted, I’ve never played FFVII because as a Nintendo loyalist I lost touch with the series after the PlayStation transition. And I don’t particularly care to play it now because I’m one of those boring people who like to go on about classic pixel art aging better than janky early 3D.

But that’s what the remake is for, and I’d be quite excited to play it if it does come to PC!

18. GWOP says:

“Totally megabit, grandma.”

Hahaha! I wish I had your propensity for creating hip lingo.

19. Clavus says:

Looking forward to this. I’d love to see more of a ‘re-imagining’ than a direct remake, make it stand on its own. FF VII is a game I hold very dear, like many other folk that played it in their pre-teens. It practically taught me English as I tried to wade through the text, exploring a seemingly endless game in a time where the internet didn’t spoil everything for you. So many iconic moments too.

Screw the haters, FF VII has the most (vocal) fans and Sony just confirmed that :V

• pepperfez says:

FF VII has the most (vocal) fans
      I suspect most haters would wholeheartedly agree with you there.

20. Laurentius says:

Screw the haters.
    FFVII was and still a masterpiece and one of my favorite games of all times ( and I re-played it only last year) but I excited about remaking it ! Hell yeah. I hope it will only start the trend of re-realsing old games with shiny graphics and proving something I have been preaching for a long time : old game are better !
    Now I want a remakes of :
    Fallout 2
    Tie-Fighter
    Little Bnig Adventure 1 and 2
    One Must Fall 2097
    Master of Magic

• Shakes999 says:

This is the most depressing comment I have ever read.

• Synesthesia says:

I will now produce the happiest comment you have ever read:

Go haters!
        FFVII is a totally irrelevant game for everyone who ever existed (and i never even touched it).

Now I want rehashes of:

Medal of Honor
        Call of Duty
        Assasin’s Creed
        Portable Dungeon Keeper (oh god the flashbacks)

21. montorsi says:

I’m excited to play one of those games I could never get into back when it was released. I was busy with school, then a few years later I couldn’t deal with the pixelated dated graphics. So this is cool.

22. racccoon says:

its a gimme.

23. DXN says:

FF7 has that <3 place in my heart so I'm definitely interested (if PC), and the trailer looks bleedin' fantastic, but my goodness was that voiceover a gigantic pile of cliches, hideously bent together so it could literally tell the audience to "GET HYPED BECAUSE OF NOSTALGIA!!!!".

Anyway, <3!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

All these recent game announcements have certainly brought out the surly in this community, eh?

25. EOT says:

I never liked FFVII at the time of its release, and I’m still quite baffled by the love an adoration it gets now. Though far be it from me to suggest that the remake that so many seem to have pined for for so long should not exist…I would just rather it were FFIX as it’s the only FF game I’ve ever enjoyed; I want HD Vivi and IX never even got a PC release.

FFIX is one of the only JRPGs I’ve even not thought was utter tripe, alongside Resonance of Fate and Valkyria Chronicles.

26. Rythe says:

Sigh. Am I really going to have to round out this FF game comment thread?

FFVI was the magnum opus, FFVII was the anime (I’m totally stealing that, and from here on), FFIX was the feels, and Chrono Trigger was the best.