What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

There’s something very pleasing about the ritual of opening wine. Something dignified and calming. After a long week, it’s a moment to slow down and simply enjoy the sensations of opening wine. A civilised moment. (Pinky out.) Some will talk of the cheeky rustle of foil on a fine Champagne, or the yielding of the cork in a vintage Châteauneuf-du-Pape, but me, my favourite aspect is the force with which the first gush of plonk squirts out the goon bag. Slàinte!

Oh yeah, also something about video games?

Adam: I’ll be playing XCOM 2. You probably won’t be playing XCOM 2 but please don’t hate me, even though I’ll be playing it all day all night. Remember what they say about the joy of anticipation and all that. Look – I just typed ‘waiting happy’ into Google and Andy Warhol replied. He wouldn’t lie to you. I will be taking a short break at 3pm Saturday to watch Bury FC – they’re playing Hull in the FA Cup and that’s Quite A Big Deal.
Alec: I bounced hard off Tomb Raider’s main campaign, because of its failure to reconcile the rampant silliness of surviving falling off a mountain 48 times in five minutes, or hunting endless squirrels because the world’s greatest explorer forgot to pack any Tracker bars, with its joylessly serious plot. But I am quite enamoured of its plot-lite Expeditions, particularly the Endurance mode in which Lara risks starvation and freezing to death in addition to dealing with spike traps and men-with-guns. Also I can turn her into vampire or an ancient greek knight or have her be on fire or all the time or OH GOD WHY CAN’T THE MAIN GAME LAUGH AT ITSELF A BIT. Anyway, I’ll be doing more of that.
Alice: I’m torn on whether or not I’ll head down to That There England to sing with my old choir before our swimming pond is savaged by dam works, so I’m mostly planning to have a quiet Saturday and get a nice early night in case I want to head down. Might play 80 Days on the journey? Or I never did play the Monument Valley DLC. Writing this on Friday night, I’m very aware that everything in me is screaming that I should go. I miss them a lot.
Graham: In this week’s Steam shuffle, I uninstalled every game I had already played. I had hoped this might cause me to play more of those games I hadn’t yet made time for, but instead I’ve simply been playing nothing at all. So my answer is: I’m going to close Steam, open uPlay, and try The Division beta.
John: [No sightings of John last week mean he is off my radar. ALERT: WE HAVE A FERAL JOHN WALKER. He could be anywhere. Keep your eyes peeled, stay safe, and do warn us all if you spot him or his spoor. -ed.]
Philippa: This weekend I’m at the Malta Global Game Jam so I’m hoping to spend part of it playing some cool creations and part of it exploring some catacombs.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Oakreef says:

I’m playing a game called redownload a load of stuff after buying a new hard drive. Also possibly Jet Set Radio or Of Orcs and Men.

2. Andrew says:

I finished “Dragon’s Dogma”. If you know how it ends (canon-ish ending), then you can guess where John is, but not how he looks like (another version of the uncertainty principle?). So, yeah, we have a problem.

3. lowprices says:

Splitting my time between A Link Between Worlds and Bravely Default on the 3DS, and Twofold on the iThing. All brilliant games.

4. ran93r says:

I will almost certainly be playing “You don’t need Rise of the Tomb Raider right now, wait until it’s cheaper, you have lots of things to finish first.”

I don’t fancy my chances of winning that one, I’m weak.

• welverin says:

I don’t know if I’m helping or not, but (in response to that some people suggested instantgaming (£25 at the time of post), cdkeys, or games planet):

Don’t know what constitutes a bit for you, but if 27% off counts for you, you could try this now 27RISE-OFTOMB-RAIDER at <a href="link to greenmangaming.com Man Gaming. It’s good for both versions of the game.

The GMG voucher is good until the 1st, so you have some time and options to get it less than full price if you can’t wait.

• kwyjibo says:

I went to see an exhibition of Tibetan artifacts at the Wellcome Collection earlier today.

link to wellcomecollection.org

I like to think that it was the result of Lara Croft’s insatiable hunger for plundering foreign antiquities.

5. Fersken says:

Doom! I’ve recently replayed Doom, and now I’m enjoying Doom 2.

I’m using GZDoom, and it’s almost as much fun as I remember. Brings back memories of LAN deathmatch with friends I have not seen in years.

• jeeger says:

Man, everybody should play some (Brutal) Doom. I played through DOOM recently, and I’ve got absolutely no retro-goggles on (game came out when I was a wee lad), and it was a really fun ride.

• Arona Daal says:

I second that.
        Play Brutal Doom.It´s easy to install, free, greatly expanded (Melee, Npc Marines, lots of new Behaviour and Animations for Enemies)
        It´s the perfect Doom.

Or if you want a weird Doom try “Reelism”,and fight the Dog Pope.

• Herzog says:

Replaying Doom 2 is also on my list. Actually played through Doom and Final Doom three years ago. These games hold up so damn well.

• Unsheep says:

Cool, I recently played the Ultimate Doom collection from GOG.
      I hadn’t played Doom in 20 years or so but I was really surprised at how well they play even today, mechanically speaking. There’s really no excuse for younger people to not play these old classics.

• Fersken says:

I’ve almost forgot how ‘open’ these games are. You can finish several levels while skipping/missing a large part of the level. I really like Half Life, but Valve started the corridor shooter trend that lasted for too long.

Doom 4 has a lot to live up to.

• Barberetti says:

All this Doom talk is putting me in the mood for my yearly Doom 2 play-through.

Mmmm Doom.

• Kitsunin says:

It’s really shocking just how good Doom feels to this day, even as someone with no nostalgia for it. Somehow there just isn’t anything quite like it.

6. Biggus_Dikkus says:

Intend to playing Naval Action when servers will wake up

• Joriath says:

Yeah that’s my plan too. Despite having played nearly 15 hours I’m still only an ensign. I think I may be doing something wrong but I’m quite enjoying sailing around modern-day Honduras and Nicaragua capturing traders in between missions.

Thirith says:

I’m finally playing Alien: Isolation (I was going to wait until Oculus Rift so I could play it in VR, but I figured there were more pleasant ways of giving yourself a heart attack), and I’ve also installed Darkest Dungeon. I’ll let you guys to figure out which one I’m playing as some light entertainment to recover from the other.

• Unsheep says:

Nice, Alien Isolation is easily one of my favourite triple-a games. It has such an impressive and authentic atmosphere that I enjoy simply being in the game world, being surrounded by it.

Yeah this game in VR must be quite the experience, its a very stressful game as it is.

• Fungaroo says:

I highly recommend Darkest Dungeon. It’s a perfect blend of challenge and progression from what I’ve played so far.

Thirith says:

It’s definitely fun (in a grim way), but I’m also appreciating that I can play it in short bursts. I usually play more story-heavy games, where short bursts tend to leave a game disjointed.

8. LionsPhil says:

Experimenting with trying to record some From the Depths footage of a huge battle. OpenBroadcasterSofware seems to work, but having some difficulty getting the quality up. YouTube’s split-and-trim functionality…exists. That’s about the most you can say of it.

9. Le blaireau says:

Not computer games, but starting Pandemic Legacy today. Actually proper excited to see where it goes and how it maintains a semblance of balance.

FeloniousMonk says:

I just got started on Pandemic Legacy a few weeks ago (we’re actually going to stick to the rules and only play once a month) and we totally buggered the first game – chain outbreaks all over the place, quick loss. And we did that knowing we got two shots at it before the month was considered a “loss”, so we weren’t too stressed. And then we realized that every city that suffered an outbreak was permanently damaged. Forever.

So… cancel your spring break in Lima plans for 2016?

Truly innovative game.

10. hng says:

I’m playing a Valve classic.

This one is about trying to get Steam support to pay me my money back after a failed purchase. I’m so bad at this game I can’t get even get any of the support people to read my messages, they just keep sending me non-relevant canned responses. As you can imagine the game is extemely frustrating, but I can’t stop playing, so it must be doing something right.

• JuergenDurden says:

urgh, i played the “change your country of residence while trying to keep the same paypal billing address” DLC to this one. utter agony. seriously, f**ck valve customer service.

Dorga says:

I was playing the Witness last night and I think I saw John stuck underneath the sand temple, but the puzzle that makes the elevator work is really hard, so I think it’s going to be a while before he gets out.

• Unsheep says:

That game looks very interesting, I’m eagerly waiting for a walkthrough on the tube. I’d love to try it for myself but I’m really terrible at puzzles.

12. pfm says:

I’m trying to play “The Witness” but it keeps crashing, so I guess It’s back to Poly Bridge (probably the 12th or so bridge building game I’ve played in my life, it never gets old!)

13. seroto9 says:

I thought I’d be playing The Division beta, but got annoyed with it after a couple of hours last night. It’s the movement: you’re either smoothly moving but not in control or in control and really awkward/restricted.

I imagine I’d get used to it, but the game doesn’t grab me enough to want to try.

• Unsheep says:

That was my main concern with the game. Your description makes me think it plays like Splinter Cell Blacklist, which I did not enjoy playing thanks to the controls…they felt exactly like you described them for the Division.

• anHorse says:

I adore Blacklist despite it’s flaws

Division is much more stodgy than the movement on offer there

• Cronstintein says:

This is my game of the weekend. I was pretty cold to it until I saw some of the dark zone stuff in action. There’s a neat set of mechanics in there that I want to test out this weekend while I can do it for free.
      I’m using a controller right now but it has me worried how disadvantaged I’ll be vs the mouse users.
      I’ll agree that the movement doesn’t feel GREAT but it isn’t bad enough to bother me either. The firefights feel better than I expected from what I saw watching the tubes. Your character really doesn’t like getting shot, which goes a long way for me to enjoy the tactics of a firefight situation.

14. dangermouse76 says:

I’ve read a lot about people playing games against or in spite of how the mechanics or plot want you to play. So I am looking for an extreme version of this.
    Sonic without sprinting. That sort of thing.
    COD no kill run.
    Pacifist GTA.
    Chess without moves.
    Skyrim without mods…joking.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Ultima 4, breaking all the virtues as much as possible. You won’t be able to beat the game, but it would be funny.

15. Bull0 says:

Whenever I get a spare moment I find myself firing up Nuclear Bloody Evil Bastard Throne. When that gets too rage-quitty I riposte to my man-cave to glue Space Marines together and mutter to myself.

zinzan says:

Playing a game of recover from (minor) chemical burns to each arm :( followed by Dungeon of Endless Paperwork that should have been completed on Friday afternoon.

I’m supposed to be playing a Combat Mission tournament and a few other PBeM turns. I’d also planned a bit of a update Mods on Skyrim, Fallout NV and Shogun 2 so that I can play them again. Gonna Fail lots this weekend.

17. Herzog says:

Third weekend in a row the same program. Currently in chapter 10 in Dead Space. Still enjoying the game a lot. Except for one awful turret section I really like the game.

Reached stage 4 in Downwell once now and totally panicked. Couldn’t read the action at all and died very quickly. Let’s see if I can improve. Also started to get into combos.

Also started Never Alone yesterday evening. Plays almost like Limbo. Not sure yet if I will finish it.

• welverin says:

Three weekends in a row? You have nothing on me. I failed to finish AC Syndicate before Rise of the Tomb Raider’s release, though I’m done with the main game and just have the Jack the Ripper dlc to play, so hopefully I can finish that off and free up some hard drive space.

The month or more I’ve playing that is nothing compared to the three months it took me to finish MGS5.

• sillythings says:

Never Alone wasn’t the most exciting thing gameplay-wise, but I personally was glad I finished it (and the DLC, too). The documentary intertwined with the gameplay is just such an interesting and unique thing to have! It definitely also helps going through the game co-op, so if you have a friend that you think would enjoy it, invite them over! It’s not a long game to complete.

Playing Downwell here and there myself too. I’m so far not able to go further than the second stage. Also, any other style than Levitate seems pretty much impossible for me to deal with, haha. It’s a great diversion to have here and there, I just really, really wish it came with Steam Cloud so I could play on both my Desktop and Surface…

18. gabrielonuris says:

Jade Empire, for the first time in my life, after I got it on Origin’s On The House.

It’s a good Bioware RPG, reminds me a lot of KoTOR, and although the game is 10 years old it still looks good.

I can’t really understand why people say this game is short; I’ve already played it for 35 hours, doing every side quest possible, and the game still has a lot for me to do (I’m guessing, but I think it will last for at least more 5 or so hours, kind of like a Mass Effect title).

• welverin says:

It, like the Mass Effect games, is only short if you think every cRPG should be some hundred plus hour epic.

I’d give you an idea how far along you are, if I could remember, but it’s been to long and my recall sucks.

I really enjoyed it at the time myself and it’s always been disappointing we didn’t get a sequel, what has Henpecked Hou been up to all these years?

• Immobile Piper says:

It’s a good game. I was mostly disappointed in it. As you say, it’s a good Bioware RPG. I liked the setting but damn, I had played the good Bioware RPG so many times by the time I got to Jade Empire. Good as long as you’re not done with the Bioware RPG formula.

Brilliant use of Chinese mythology, more games could use that as a base.

What build are you going with? I recall a weapons character being rather OP against everything but things that are immune to weapons. And well, against those I could spam my gigantic bullet time I got from high weapons stat.

• gabrielonuris says:

That was exactly my build, lol! Dragon Sword and Thousand Cuts as my primary martial style.

As you said, it is as good as far the Bioware RPGs can go, most of them are simply a dark or light playthrough, where you can be a saint among people or a complete dick to everyone. After you play something grey as The Witcher series, the Bioware formula can startold get old indeed.

19. goettel says:

Perversely leveling both a shammie and retardin on Nostalrius WoW and picking up BF4 again after a long absence, to stab some people.

20. melnificent says:

I’m playing prepare a case for some bait and switch I’ve been caught in… thanks ubisoft.

21. Unsheep says:

Project Cars.
    DTM 2013.
    Ride.
    WRC 5.
    SBK X.

Maybe, if time allows:
    Blackguards, Xenonauts, Men of War.

22. Geebs says:

Just finished getting all of the alternative endings in Soma, and started on the Witness.

The Witness is kind of exhausting to play, and it’s disappointing that despite the Myst comparisons, what I’ve seen so far hasn’t really required the same level of lateral thinking as the better Myst puzzles. Still, the pacing of the puzzles is pretty much perfect.

• Fungaroo says:

Tbh, I’ve thought The Witness is a bit better version of Myst so far. A bit more accessible. Of course, I played Myst when I was a kid, so those puzzles threw me for a loop back in the day.

• Person of Interest says:

I’ve been playing The Witness every evening since its launch.

In the first five minutes, the game presented me with:
      1. A beautiful courtyard to walk around in and enjoy the sights and sounds
      2. A half dozen boring, tedious maze grids to solve

It was clear to me which aspect of the game was more compelling, so after solving the required tutorial puzzles, I deliberately avoided looking at any others. Instead I spent two evenings slowly exploring the island, frequently stopping to take in the sights and sounds (there are lots of interesting ambient sounds as well).

It’s the most gorgeous walking simulator I’ve played. Around every corner was a breathtaking view. All told, I spent maybe six hours just admiring the island, ignoring anything the least bit puzzle-like, save for a gate lock or two.

Now I’ve started the actual puzzles, and they get better, but I’m so glad I first toured the island without any distractions.

• Geebs says:

I’m not the biggest walking simulator fan by a long chalk, but you’re right, the Witness (and, I’d argue, Myst) really do show that the process of exploring a location can be really engaging, as long as it was put together with a good amount of imagination and skill. Procedurally-generated spaces and audio log collect-a-thons don’t really compare, in my opinion.

The puzzles do get better as they go on; Blow has really mastered the art of setting up a new premise, exploring it over a couple of puzzles, and then throwing a spanner in the works just when the player thinks they’re on a roll.

23. welverin says:

As I said in a reply, I want to complete finish Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, there will definitely be some TF2, maybe some Evolve, and you never know when I might to randomly decide to play some more Destiny.

Haywardan says:

I’ll be playing a bit of Destiny on the PS4 and taking a look at Assassin’s Creed Chronicles on the desktop.

Also Alice, Scottish fadas are the wrong way round. It looks weird, like a goatee-wearing mirror-universe version of Irish. Harrumph.

25. Legion1183 says:

I’m finally going through my backlog and completing as much as I can before all the new stuff hits this year. So many awesome games coming out I just have to get my backlog out of the way as much as possible so I can concentrate on it all.

I have such little gaming time that playing one, maybe 2 games at a time is all I can do.

So far this weekend I’ve completed Hitman: Absolution, Dishonored, Shovel Knight and Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy. Next up is a bit of Project CARS and Dirt Rally!

26. Zach Fett says:

Still going through Brutal Doom’s “Hell on Earth” campaign. It’s damn good, but really long! I’ve put a good 6 or 7 hours into just the first episode, I think I’m nearly to the finale, and then onto the second of three episodes. Lots of fun!

I also just bought the season pass for Black Ops 3, my friend persuaded me to for the new zombie map coming on Tuesday. I wasn’t a fan of Shadows of Evil, felt it was too complicated and you couldn’t just hop in for some zombie killing fun. The map that came with the season pass, The Giant (a remake of Der Reise from World at War) is excellent though! I had a blast with what little we played last night. Much more simple and easy to jump into. No needing to do a million things before round 2 like in SoE. Hope the new map on Tuesday is just as fun!

Also played some of Hardcore TDM in BO3, and damn is that fun. I’m not a big CoD MP fan, but I was enjoying my time with Hardcore mode. I was surprisingly not getting frustrated, and doing pretty good, not to toot my own horn.

The auto-kick thing is a bit annoying, was kicked two kills away from the end of a game because some teammate ran into my grenade, that was the only moment I got frustrated last night.

27. Barberetti says:

Evochron Legacy again, in which I just came out of hyperspace into a meteor shower. The kind of asteroid collision which most definitely is on the charts, and which almost caused a swift end to my galactic travels.

Later, I expect I’ll be cruising with my cousin at high altitude, in FSX.

28. rahji says:

Just finished Heavy Rain yesterday so I will probably start a new game. Perhaps Red Dead Redemption. Or Saints Row IV. Or just Silent Hill 4 on my PS2.

I also managed to beat Greed Mode with the Lost in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth, so I probably try my luck in hard mode with The Lost.

29. Vacuity729 says:

Last weekend, I said I’d play Rome II and maybe a bit of Starward Rogue.
    In the end I played Starward Rogue all weekend.
    And then all week.
    And I’ll probably play it all weekend again; I don’t see anything else getting a whisker in for a while to come.

30. anHorse says:

I tried some of the closed beta/open advertising exercise of The Division and I don’t think much of it.

Weirdly it left me thinking Watch_Dogs must’ve been a pretty good third person shooter so I might go back and dispel that illusion

31. malkav11 says:

Strongly tempted to put down $15 on the new Steam release of The Quest. I was introduced to the game some five and a bit years ago by a series of diaries that Tom Chick was doing on his Fidgit blog for Syfy before they unceremoniously shut the whole thing down, and got really into it for a bit before apparently completely forgetting it existed, much less noticing that they’d released an updated and uprezzed version on Steam back in December. It’s a first person open world RPG with a bit of an early Elder Scrolls feel except with better writing, systems that I prefer, and turn-based gameplay. It’s staggering in its complexity and dimensions considering that originally it came out on Palm Pilot and then was ported to iPhone/iTouch (which is when I discovered it). Seriously, it is complex and deep by PC standards. On mobile it was a bizarre and utter outlier.

There’s also been a bunch of expansions and I think there were fan editing tools but they’re not currently compatible with this new version (too many changes, according to the FAQ). The original developers made one and will probably update it, they say, but everything else was third parties and they’ll have to talk to them and see what they want to do, given the amount of work to update would not be trivial.

I did just buy Black Closet and Starward Rogue, though. So I should probably play those instead. And I nearly guarantee that there will be time spent in Hex: Shards of Fate’s excellent new PvE campaign as well as doing my weekly draft (a perk of my backer tier) since suddenly those cards feel so much more relevant. Also probably more Marvel Heroes (now 2016) as they just added a ton of stuff that I would like to check out and Mystic Mayhem (the event I’ve done the least with) is apparently up this weekend.

32. Strangely Brown says:

Expected to spend the weekend with Elite Dangerous (picked it up just two weeks ago), but I’m not in the mood for that right now.

Instead I’ll have a go with the new Tomb Raider. (downloading as I’m writing this). Not a fan of permadeath, but Endurance mode sounds intriguing. Not sure if I should start that right away though, maybe I’d be better off playing the base game first?

• Minglefingler says:

I think you have to unlock endurance mode by playing the main game so you may not have much of a choice there.

• Strangely Brown says:

Well, that’s kind of a relief I guess. Been busy with other stuff tonight, but that’s a weight off my chest. Agony of choice – ELIMINATED!

33. ReverendM says:

Pro Pinball Ultra Timeshock. It’s finally out in early access and works pretty well. The upgraded graphics look amazing, especially in portrait mode and the table is as good as ever.

34. McGuit says:

I finally have enough time to play this weekend.
    Will be playing “Deadly Tower of Monsters” followed by my deep dive into “Witcher 3: Wild Hunt”
    Hope to see you all in a few weeks.

Lars Westergren says:

I finally uninstalled Dota. And it Feels. So. Damn. Good.

Finished Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirvelwind Heist. It was great, laugh out loud stuff in places.

Playing The Room 3 on my tablet. Also great.

Just about to fire up The Witness.

• Henson says:

You’ll be back. They all come back.

Lars Westergren says:

I was so close to reinstalling it today. Addiction is real.

The Witness is great though, happy to say.

Styxie says:

Darkest Dungeon has it’s eldrich tendrils twisted firmly around my brain stem. I got up at seven this morning and have been playing it all day. The risk/reward has been perfectly tuned; I’m glad that I waited until the full release.

I’m also happy to have missed out on the whole furore surrounding the corpse system, it fits into the flow of combat and adds a layer of depth to the combat which encourages you to think a little more tactically, while also rewarding the use of offensive positioning skills. The highlight has to have been when my Man-at-arms saved most of the party from certain death by riposting two critical hits back onto the last group of enemies in the dungeon – my vassal healer having just died of a heart attack. There’s nothing quite like seeing a one eyed old man beat half a horde of horrors to death with his shield in a pinch.

37. Minglefingler says:

Trying to play Rise of the Tomb Raider at a slowish pace without using detective vision or on screen hints(the game ahem subtly discourages this.)
    I’ll be continuing my playthrough of Pillars of Eternity which I’ve now set to easy difficulty. It’s not that I find the combat too hard, it’s that there’s too much of it and I believe that easy mode reduces the number of encounters.
    I think my mistake was going into the White March overlevelled and setting the difficulty higher to compensate, the last dungeon I was in seemed to have two or three groups of enemies in every room. I don’t know whether Pillars has more combat that Baldur’s Gate but I suspect that it hasn’t and that my patience has lessened dramatically over the years.

38. JFS says:

I’ve played Sunless Sea. Very well-made stories and atmosphere, the game aspect is lacking a little. Wouldn’t it be great if Steam games all had demos or two hour free trials…

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Same here, enjoying the free weekend. It’s a good game, I’m enjoying it. Kind of wish there wasn’t any combat, or it was just more fun and tactical. Great stories though. Reminds me of Space Rangers 2.

Mungrul says:

I must admit, it’s pretty good, and it had been on my wishlist for a long time, but I don’t think I’ll be slapping down the cash for it at the end of the free weekend.
      The rogue-like structure doesn’t suit it, and you end up hearing the same story beats far too often as a result.
      I’m realising that there’s not actually much content there, but that it’s drawn out through slow game-speed and the necessity for multiple play-throughs.
      To be honest, it’s pretty much playing out exactly how I’d expected it to. A few good reviews and gameplay trailers gave away the whole game.

I’m getting the same feeling looking at Darkest Dungeon, although there what mostly puts me off is the fact that nothing I’ve read about it hints at any break from the relentless misery.

39. liquidsoap89 says:

Tomb Raider is what I intend to play when I’m not doing school work. Warframe is realistically what I will be playing when I’m not doing school work. That game is incredibly addicting. I think I have a problem, please send help!

40. Vandelay says:

I will be continuing to explore what it is like on the other side of the gaming world with my PS4. Currently playing The Last of Us Remastered, which I am enjoying, but finding combat unbelievable hard, for some reason. Headshots seem to be essential, but my precision with a pad is just not up to snuff, so I am dying multiple times in any encounter that requires you to fight. It is enjoyable though.

I also picked up Bloodborne yesterday, as it was only £25 on the PS store. Only played it briefly, but can see it dragging me in just as Dark Souls 1 and 2.

• njury says:

I thought Bloodborne was over in 6 hours?

• Imbecile says:

Where on earth did you hear that? Its your typical dark souls length.

• Immobile Piper says:

I guess you could finish most Souls games in that time if you were speedrunning them.

For regular playthrough I just don’t see that happening.

• fish99 says:

More like 60+.

• welverin says:

For The Last Of Us I’d suggest dropping the difficulty, I can’t aim a t all with an analog stick myself and that compensates for it.

• Vandelay says:

Now that is a thought. It doesn’t feel as if there is any aim assist going on, which could well be tied to difficulty.

I am playing on hard, which is the middle difficulty. It is the same difficulty I have been playing the Uncharted games on, but the jerky and less predictable movement of the zombies makes aiming that much harder.

41. Kitsunin says:

I’ve been playing TowerClimb. Oh man, never have I played a procedural game so skilled at creating anxious tension. I love Binding of Isaac, but when a run goes to crap, the emotional effect tends to be something like “Oh. Damn it, I’m not gonna make it…well, let’s try anyway…nope, dead.” In TowerClimb, when things get close, it’s scary and it feels wonderful. Really wish this hadn’t flown under the radar for so long!

Phasma Felis says:

…Oh, God, this is another Spelunky, isn’t it? It took me over a thousand deaths to 100% just the original PC version. Oh God, I can’t buy this now.

42. Zenicetus says:

I “bought” a Bell 412 helicopter with virtual dollars in the FSEconomy game last week, and I’ll be spending a good chunk of the weekend figuring out how the autopilot works while trying not to crash in X-Plane.

I’m also trying to decide whether to pick up the Hearts of Stone DLC for Witcher 3. I’d like to play it, and I have a high-level savegame from last summer after the main plot wraps up. But I have terrible recall for control schemes in games like this. I don’t know if I have the patience to shed the moves I’ve learned from finishing AC Syndicate recently, and then re-learn all those combat moves and spells from 6 months ago. I might just wait until I feel like doing another full run through the game. I dunno. Maybe I’ll take the savegame Geralt out for a trial run first, mop up a few quests I didn’t finish… see how it goes before buying the DLC.

43. eocar89 says:

Definetly rise of the tomb raider, I am really enjoying it :D Also some training in Elite: Dangerous, I am still learning it.

44. acheron says:

“the first gush of plonk squirts out the goon bag”

I literally have no idea if this is you making up phrases to be funny or if this is actual British slang.

Ok, I looked it up and the Internet says that “goon bag” is not even British, but Australian. Which doesn’t surprise me, actually.

Anyway, the only thing I’ve been playing recently is Brogue, and I’ll probably be sticking with that. Someday I’ll get that stupid amulet.

• anHorse says:

Goon Bag’s a bit of a weird one but plonk meaning cheap wine isn’t an uncommon term

• ooshp says:

Wait… so you haven’t played Goon of Fortune?

45. Immobile Piper says:

Got Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin in that Humble winter sale.

It seems to have bit of a mixed reputation, so I try to go in without too many expectations despite enjoying first Dark Souls. Sorcerer-with-a-sword was my second win on DaS, so I’m hoping that’ll work with DaS2 too.

46. Bobtree says:

The Witness, and maybe the Fractured Space trial.

47. PancakeWizard says:

I’ve seen everything Subnautica has to offer so far, so at a bit of a loose end. I would’ve bought The Witness, but it’s too steep in price right now.

48. muther22 says:

I’m going to be playing some Thesis Writing: The Game. While initially very interested in the game, I feel it has perhaps overstayed its welcome.

FeloniousMonk says:

I’ve never liked the mechanic where you can only level up once per year and need to be at least level 6 before you get a shot at the boss monster.

Especially given the permadeath.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s a slog alright.

• Joriath says:

It’s a slog alright but the mandatory DLC ‘Editing: the self-criticism’ is a complete bore.

FeloniousMonk says:

Like most of game-playing earth, I’m sweeping out Steam backlog as fast as I can before XCOM2 and Witcher 3 Blood and Wine make all other games temporarily irrelevant. I’m also working all weekend, because life. But I find the Darkest Dungeon is the perfect game for the procrastinating adult American – play for 15 minutes, get frustrated, work for another 4 hours, play for 15 more minutes, work for 3 more hours, get overtired, start sending cryptic notes to coworkers saying things like “LAWYER’S RESOLVE IS TESTED… LAWYER HAS DEVELOPED MASOCHISM!!!” and “Always remember that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer…”

50. Viral Frog says:

I’ve gotten around to finally starting on Arkham Asylum. I’m having a blast! Had to take a break when I got to the area with Scarecrow. I figured it was a bit too scary for my sons that like to sit and watch me play.

I’m going to put a few more rounds into Nuclear Throne. I need to beat the throne and loop to get the last two unlockable characters, and I’m so close. Consistently beating Lil’ Hunter is no longer an issue for me, and it only took 57 hours to “git gud”.

I’ve also been dusting off Dungeons of Dredmor. I’ve never been past the third floor, but I’m quite determined to get there. I’ve gone out of my comfort zone and am trying all sorts of class combinations I’ve never tried, and finding some that work rather well.

Then, of course, I’ll be playing games with my eldest son. I imagine we’ll be playing Battleblock Theater, Castle Crasher, or LEGO Marvel Super Heroes.

• Viral Frog says:

Oh, I completely forgot to mention that I will also be playing Sunless Sea. It’s on free weekend, and I’ve heard mixed things. I’ve sunk about an hour and a half into it, and I’ve been enjoying myself quite a bit actually! Sure, I’ve already killed off 30 crew members and 3 captains, but who’s keeping track?

• JuergenDurden says:

first go at asylum? oh how i envy you! and rest assured that you can just skip the other three arkham games, they extend the rock-solid mechanics and story-telling of the first one in the entirely wrong direction.

• Viral Frog says:

Yep! Completely fresh start. I love it. I’ve had this, Arkham City and Arkham Origin in my library for ages but never gotten around to them. I love Batman, so I do think I’m going to go into the other two. I’m a bit worried that I’ll get fatigued on the open world rather quickly. There’s only a handful of open world games that ever managed to grab me.

• Immobile Piper says:

The collectibles don’t do much, my advice would be to treat it largely as a linear brawling game. It’s pretty good when played like that as the usual open world filler gets old pretty quick.

• PancakeWizard says:

Aslyum is great. All the Arkham games are by various measures. Everyone loves the first one, but can’t agree on what order the others are ranked. Personally, I enjoyed Origins the most.