The Walking Dead: Michonne Starts This Month

I’ve only a passing familiarity with Michonne from seeing a bit of the Walking Dead TV show, where she is one of the few competent characters, but I broadly understand she is, as the kids say, ‘pretty dang cool’. Cool enough to get her own spin-off game and be voiced by Orange Is the New Black‘s Poussey, certainly.

The Walking Dead: Michonne [official site] will begin on Tuesday, February 23rd, Telltale announced today. All three episodes will run you $15 together.

This is a small side-story in the world of the comics, explaining what Michonne got up to during a gap in the story (between issues #126 and #139, if you must know). Here’s how Telltale say it’ll all kick off:

“In this premiere episode, ‘In Too Deep,’ Michonne joins Pete and his crew on the sailing ship The Companion as they cruise the coast for survivors and supplies. When a desperate signal for help draws them to a scene of horrific massacre, Michonne and the crew are lead further to the floating survivors’ colony of Monroe, which may just be harboring the person responsible for the carnage.”

Episode 2 will follow in March, then things will wrap up with episode 3 in April. That’s a pretty tight schedule. Michonne was originally supposed to require folks own at least one episode of TWD season 2 to play, but it’s apparently since gone standalone.

Here, have an old teaser trailer:

gritz says:

Kind of jarring to go from playing a little girl struggle with being mistrusted, underestimated, and vulnerable in such a hostile environment to playing BADASS SWORD WOMAN.

2. Turkey says:

I only ever read up to the Walking Dead prison TPB, but I remember her being a pretty terrible character and one of the reasons I gave up on it.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yeah I hate the characters in the Walking Dead for the most part. “Cop in a cowboy hat”, “Sword woman”, “Crossbow guy”. Is this written for 12 year olds?
      The characters in the Telltale games were actually decent so not sure how bothered I am about playing their rendition of one of the series character tbh.

3. w0bbl3r says:

It’s time this whole thing came to an end I think now.
    As much as I enjoyed the comic, the game and the tv show, they are all starting to drag on a bit now.
    Would love to see an ending for them all. Either with Rick and his group all dead, or with them finally finding somewhere that is as safe as they can possibly be, and finally able to settle down with some peace

4. warh0l says:

The only expectation I have for this game is for it to say “Michonne success” at the end of the episode.

5. mpk says:

I loved the first game, enjoyed the second, and then got bored halfway through Tales of the Borderlands episode 2. Now I’m pretty much done with Telltale’s style.

If they want to make movies – animated or otherwise – then let them do so, but their games are starting to lose whatever semblance of Choose-Your-Own-Adventure they once had, and are degenerating into point-to-point cut scenes. Why bother paying to play them when you can simply watch a let’s play on youtube?

• ribby says:

You got /bored/ during Tales from the Borderlands?!

• mpk says:

The first episode of TotB was enjoyable enough, and genuinely funny in places, but I find the style of Telltale’s games quite tiresome now.

• Coming Second says:

I thought TotB was excellent: very funny, tightly written and warm. In complete contrast the second season of WD felt pointless, rambling and cynical.

I think a lot of people make the mistake of playing one Telltale game, falling heads over heels in love with it, eagerly play one or two more and become deeply disappointed by their formula and limitations. Which they have, like any developer. However they are thrown into starker relief by the fact a story is being told, rather than a game being played.

• noodlecake says:

This is exactly how I feel. I don’t really mind them just churning out lots of these games with no improvement in gameplay, so long as they keep the stories engaging.

Oakreef says:

Loved the first Walking Dead game series, second was very disappointing. I think I’ll wait to see what people say about this before jumping in.

7. MrLosWhite says:

After TWD season 1 I am over with Telltale until they rework in depth their formula. I am super bored of the all thing, for TWD s1 which is supposed one of the best, the story did not engage me that much, and I found the choices meaningless. For interactive stories I would recommend sorcery! or 80days, the choices in there are literally are really changing the course of the story. In another genre danganronpa is also very good, even so there is no choice to make so to speak: but the story and style blew my mind.