Put Your Knives Away: No New Assassin’s Creed In 2016

Since 2009’s Assassin’s Creed II, Ubisoft have released a new open-world murder playground every single year. Not in 2016. AC will indeed be taking a rest for a bit of a reworking, as was rumoured. I wonder if that means the Ancient Egypt setting for the next entry that rumourmongers mentioned is real too. Point is, Ubi are skipping 2016 and planning to return later with something fresher. Say, I wonder if Watch Dogs 2 will fill that October/November slot now open in Ubi’s lineup for this year.

Ubisoft announced the break in a blog post:

“This year, we also are stepping back and re-examining the Assassin’s Creed franchise. As a result, we’ve decided that there will not be a new Assassin’s Creed game in 2016. Since the release of Assassin’s Creed Unity, we’ve learned a lot based on your feedback. We’ve also updated our development processes and recommitted to making Assassin’s Creed a premier open-world franchise. We’re taking this year to evolve the game mechanics and to make sure we’re delivering on the promise of Assassin’s Creed offering unique and memorable gameplay experiences that make history everyone’s playground.”

Of course, this doesn’t mean there are no new Assassin’s Creed games in 2016 – two have already come out, in the shape of 2.5D spin-offs Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: India and Chronicles: Russia. But no all-singing, all-dancing, all-murdering ‘proper’ £40 Assassin’s Creed.

“This may well be my favourite Assassin’s Creed game,” Adam said about 2015’s Syndicate. That’s a good note to pause on.

When the rumours started floating around, we asked hypothetically what all y’all would like to see the series do if it took time out to rethink things. I quite enjoyed your many differing responses.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Anthile says:

Just like the gypsy woman said.

2. The Sombrero Kid says:

Hopefully they forget to start making them again in 2017.

3. GWOP says:

We used to have trailers.

Then came teaser trailers for trailers.

Then came teasers for teaser trailers.

Then came announcements for teasers for teasers.

Now we have announcements for… absence of trailers.

4. Chaoslord AJ says:

I wish they’d finish the main story then pause two years and begin anew like they want to do it with Mass Effect.
    I played 1, 3, BF and SY and the arching story is all mystery and no real plot. Syndicate was nice but just the same in this regard.

davidgilbert says:

But who watches the watch dogs?

davidgilbert says:

Ack ignore the wrong comment, Will repost under the correct thread!

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Good – for a moment I feared it was me who posted under the wrong thread…

7. xyzzy frobozz says:

Alice I’d like to see some genuine stealth mechanics.

In isolation, there is some really good stuff in the AC series. Unfortunately it’s exactly the same stuff as has been there since day one. The central mechanic is pretty good, it has just been the same game for too long.

I’d really like to see more planning going into your assasinations. I’d also like to see information gathering that means more than plopping a marker in your hub. Who is my mark? What do they look like. Where do they hang out, who do they hang out with, and when? How do I get into their abode? How is their abode laid out? Are there guards/dogs/traps/treasures?

The information gathering shpuld be an “ambient” part of the game, rather than the staid “go to this marker, fetch/kill this, go to that marker, fetch/kill that.

So? Yeah, I pretty much just designed a completely different game. I call it Thief’s Creed – The Impossible Project.

• anHorse says:

Nah you actually just described most of the last two Assassin’s Creed games which had proper stealth mechanics

• Turkey says:

How about if they did Hitman stealth then? Like your assassin is like a master of disguises and that’s how he/she gets close to the target.

• maninahat says:

They tried that with AC: Liberation – your character had dress-up options, which I thought was rather inspired (each outfit had its own advantages and disadvantages, mostly relating to the fact that you play a black woman in the Colonial era deep south.)

8. kament says:

Bit of a shame about moving to Ancient Egypt, really. For a while there I hoped they’d eventually come to the point where all the action would take place in “real” world.

Not like that time with an excuse for a modern assassin, aka Desmond Miles. A proper thing with a proper gunplay, something along the lines of Equilibrium. I thought that silliness would’ve suited the games perfectly.

Oh well.

9. brucethemoose says:

I haven’t played AC since Black Flag

… Did I miss much?

• BatmanBaggins says:

Well out of the 3 main games released since then, 2 of them (Rogue and Syndicate) were pretty good, so maybe.

• BobbyDylan says:

No. London looks pretty cool, but you can see it on a LP on youtube. Sadly Black Flag was as good as it got for AssCred.

10. Mokinokaro says:

Unity is a bland mess even after the launch issues were fixed. It’s also got even more tailing missions than BF.

Rogue is Black Flag 1.5
    Syndicate is really, really solid and brings back fond memories of AC2. But it’s still an AC game so if you’re burnt out on the formula you probably won’t like it.

11. xyzzy frobozz says:

By the way….

…. perhaps the cleverest headline ever.

12. Ootmians says:

In other words, new AssCreed in January 2017.

13. Turkey says:

I’m betting they have no idea what to do next with a main AssCreed title. They went way too modern way too fast, and the next super recognizable time period is WW1. Which probably isn’t ideal for an Ass game.

• LennyLeonardo says:

There was already some WW1 stuff in Syndicate (of course). Not sure if that means they’re done with that setting, or if they’ll build on it. I reckon they’ll go back. Maybe the Egypt rumour is right.

14. Deviija says:

I’d like to see better writing and better (coherent) incorporation of historical figures. Is that too much of a stretch? After Aveline’s game, the franchise took a huge nosedive for me in quality and ingenuity. Until Syndicate, anyway. Syndicate is a step in the right direction, and brought back some of the gameplay magic what made the older AC2 titles really enjoyable, imo.

15. racccoon says:

Finally they have woken up. move on..

16. Farsearcher says:

I have a strong suspicion that they’ve converted what was going to be Prince of Persia Zero into the rumoured ancient Egypt assassins creed.

17. florus says:

Yeah! Finally a whole year of catching up on the series. Still getting through the end of the Ezio trilogy and now a whole period of no new AC to get to.