Here’s All 30 Of Oculus Rift’s Launch Games

With each passing day, the Oculus Rift [official site] edges ever closer to its March 28 release date and I bet there are still a fair few of you sat firmly on the fence. Not just with regards to the incoming virtual reality headset, but also with the entire concept of VR itself. Will it be worth my money? Can I even afford it? Will it change my life? Will I look like a pure numpty prancing about my living room when I use it? What games will I be able to play at launch?

Well, dear reader, I can only answer the latter of your questions (although there’s one I could certainly hazard a guess at) because Oculus have now revealed the 30 games that’ll be available to buy for the Rift when it arrives. Let’s have a gander, shall we?

Announced at GDC, the following 30-strong list includes the games that will be available come launch day on March 28:

Adrift: $19.99
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter: TBA
Vektron Revenge: $9.99
VR Tennis Online: $24.99
Pinball FX2 VR: $14.99
BlazeRush: TBA
Windlands: $19.99

And here’s the games that have been confirmed but at this point don’t have solid release dates or prices:

The Climb: April release, $49.99
Dead & Buried
Fantastic Contraption
I Expect You to Die
Job Simulator
Rock Band VR
VR Sports
Damaged Core: Spring release
Dragon Front: Spring release, free to play
Eagle Flight: Spring release
Edge of Nowhere: Spring release

Oculus also say they’re working with “thousands of developers” at the moment, and that we can expect “over a hundred more games” on the Oculus Rift this year.

As pointed out by Eurogamer, Oculus have also provided a handy comfort rating for the majority of the games listed there with ‘Comfortable’, ‘Moderate’, or ‘Intense’ headings, all of which appear to be tied to the speed of in-game camera movement. For example, the space-set, ultra-fast, dog-fighter EVE Valkyrie is labeled ‘Intense’; whereas Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, a game where you’re sat at a table the entire time, is billed ‘Comfortable’. Although that’s probably the first time that particular game has been described in such a way.

The Oculus Rift headset itself ain’t cheap, but what do you guys make of that launch lineup?

Here’s the trailer which ran alongside the announcement:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Aerothorn says:

Thousands of developers? Really? I wonder how they count “working with.”

Also – $30 for Defense Grid 2?

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

There are a few games on there that I really can’t see working in VR because a fixed view is the only practical way to play.

• patstew says:

They probably mean thousands of people are working on VR games, ‘developers’ as in humans rather than studios.

• Henke says:

They might get that number from people who have registered at Oculus. IIRC, at least back in the early DK1/2 days, you had to register at the Oculus website and write down a name of the app you’re developing to get the SDK. I just wrote “VR Test App” or something like that when I signed up. I’ve made a few VR apps for work, but gamewise the only think I ended up making was a VR test version for my game Stilt Fella. link to Thing was nigh on impossible to play and more than a little nauseainducing. :D

The Almighty Moo says:

I must admit that I’m suitably impressed by the number of titles, whether that will translate into meaningful experiences is yet to be seen but sets a good precedent. I bought my Wii U on the basis of ’10 games ibreally want I can’t get anywhere else’ (though that was a much lower outlay) and with similar logic it seems that VR kit may well have enough to draw me in sooner than I expected.

3. aircool says:

Does Elite: Dangerous have to be the $60 version?

4. Kefren says:

I would mostly like to play my existing beloved games in some sub-par form of VR (even though it won’t be optimal). Unfortunately the VR headset makers wan’t you to buy new games so their partners make money and support their system; they have no interest in making existing games work with their hardware. That’s not where tehir profit is, but it’s where my interest is. I already have hundreds of great games which I want to replay, I don’t need any more for some time!

• Xzi says:

VorpX injects a minimal amount of VR rendering into existing games. It’s on Rift already and coming to Vive.

Virtual desktops allow you to play any non-VR game as well as 3D and 2D movies on a screen surrounded by whatever background you like (Mars, a theater, etc).

• Kefren says:

Thanks, looking at VorpX in the past suggested that would be my best bet. Praise be to 3rd party software!

I’m not interested in the virtual flat screen though, I can’t see any way I’d gain pleasure from that.

• NukeWithG says:

Well, for one, having as many monitors as you want when you’re playing a game. Ever wanted to try gaming with a setup that has six monitors? Seven? Eight? One huge one like that surround monster Alienwar (I think) was marketing at one point? Want separate screens for inventory and such? It should all be possible to an extent with a VR system.

• Kefren says:

Thanks, I can see why some people might like that, totally plausible. Though for me it would just be a distraction – I can only look at one bit at once, it seems pointless to render things that will involve me turning my head to see them. I’d rather just press a button to go into my inventory (in the same way that I might stop and open my backpack to repack it when I find some gold coins in real life).

• Martel says:

Uhh, you should be referring to the developers of the games you already own, they are the ones that have to make it work with VR.

• Kefren says:

Some of them probably will. Others don’t exist any more. And both depend on the helpfulness of the hardware manufacturer (in the same way mod-makers depend on the openness of a game developer).

• Stevostin says:

Some does and are in this very video. Elite, the Vanishing of Ethan Carter, etc. The OP just didn’t pay attention.

• Kefren says:

I did pay attention, but none of the games in this list are the ones that are my favourites and which I want to replay in 3D!

• frightlever says:

Frontier is doing the right thing with Elite, shockingly, but Ethan Carter VR is a separate product. I guess they might give a discount to existing owners, but it isn’t an upgrade to the original (or redux) game.

5. SyCo_Venom says:

While I will not be buying any kind of virtual reality gear 4 what looks like to be a considerable long time. It is good to see that there are a decent amount of games out already and I hope that all of this is wildly successful.

I will probably wait for the second generation of stuff to make sure it’s going to be good quality and take off before I invest that much money not to mention all the games that have recently come out and are coming out soon that are going to take up a lot of my time.

6. Shazbut says:

Genuine question: Has anyone has played a non-first person game in VR and found it an improvement?

particlese says:

I can’t think of any I’ve played yet, but I’d expect the added depth perception (from stereoscopy and/or head movement) should be a massive benefit for playing 3D platformers (on the list: Lucky’s Tale) and 3rd-person on-rails shooters and dodgers a la Panzer Dragoon (on the list: Eagle Flight).

Two big assumptions are that such games aren’t so horribly designed that they defeat that benefit, and that you’re hindered/annoyed by the relatively weak depth cues on 2D screens in the first place.

• Xzi says:

Layered 2D games supposedly work very well. IE stuff like Paper Mario, which can be played on DolphinVR. Don’t Starve was also listed in the SteamVR database, so looks like Klei is going to add VR support.

• sdfv says:

I have a Gear VR and the only game I’ve really liked on it so far is Darknet. That’s not a $1500 system seller, but if you’re getting a rift anyway it’s worth picking up.

A lot of the cheaper games here seem to be on gear vr as well.

• frightlever says:

“A lot of the cheaper games here seem to be on gear vr as well.”

Gear VR is basically Rift-Lite, and not all THAT lite apart from the limitations of the phone powering it.

• Clavus says:

I played the DK2 version of BlazeRush and it was a blast. Lots of interesting things you can do and enjoy with different camera perspectives.

• zarthrag says:

I played Ghost Recon: Future Soldier in vorpx. It wasn’t a perfect experience, however, I preferred it over 3rd person in a monitor. It could be made into an intriguing mechanic if used in a game made for VR.

• tomek says:

I played Herobound on GearVR and its amazing. Its from the devs that did Darksiders and are doing Chronos for the Rift.

Chronos gameplay: link to

• quintesse says:

Same here. While it was nothing special it was certainly enjoyable.
        I do think they should have done something to make it more than just a platformer with a bit of added depth. Something that would make use of the extra freedom of movement you have.

particlese says:

There are several games there that I’m excited to play, but I’m most looking forward to Windlands. Playing it with a DK2 with a tiny bit of acrophobia meant it was quite pleasant — grapple-hooking around the trees and cliff-platforms and enjoying the vistas — until it scared the piss out of me for daring to look up or down or miss a shot/landing, elicing loud vocalizations in the moment and slightly mad giggling when I was safely on the ground hundreds of meters below. I’ll be interested to see if it makes me more comfortable looking up/down over railings in real life. As for the listed futuregames, I Expect You to Die looks/sounds like the most fun to me.

Games on my mind not on the lists above are futuregames Budget Cuts (Vive-only?) and Superhot (not yet VR). Then there are some non-gamey things like Tilt Brush and the like which should be pretty rad.

particlese says:

Edit for a small clarification/confusification: Budget Cuts is not necessarily Vive-only, but of course the choice of platforms is still up to the dev. Tilt Brush is also on the list at that link, and Oculus has their own Mario Paintlike “Medium” in the works, probably tied to the Touch controllers’ release.

8. dongsweep says:

Sadly this list looks more like a shovelware list of games you would receive on a CD from a computer expo than a list of games that would benefit from VR. I really hope Occulus throws money at some developers to make their Rift work with games that show up on the Steam Stats top 100 list.

If they never get the software to back their Rift up then it will have a hard time beating the competition.

• Xzi says:

I seriously doubt any of this is going to appear on the top 100 sellers list. Between Rift and Vive there are probably only going to be ~100,000 HMDs out there for Gen1. There are millions of Steam users buying non-VR stuff. Either way, nobody expected Gen1 VR to be a massive success, just to kickstart content production and developer/consumer interest.

• dongsweep says:

What you say is true but I was thinking it would be nice and wise if Occulus kicked in some money to a few of the developers of the top steam games. IE having native support with ARMA (not a top 5 game but sometimes it breaks the top 10) or perhaps GTA, Skyrim, or any other game that has a decent playerbase. They seem to have their sights set on new games for VR when it probably costs a lot less and would have a bigger benefit to the gamer’s investment in the Rift.

• Asurmen says:

Elite is top 100.

• tomek says:

There will be WAY more sold units, just wait for the numbers. Estimates for the CV1 alone are much higher just by going off the pre order number trackings. PSVR pre orders on were sold out in 10 minutes after going live.

• Cinek says:

Elite, Project CARS, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Defense Grid 2 either are or were in top-100

• tomek says:

The biggest missunderstanding of VR is that any of the games we are used to play would make a compelling experience in VR. Its not simply stereoscopic 3d in a helmet. The good games that will be regarded VR classics in 5 years from now need to be designed with VR in mind from ground up.

For gen1 they need to have lower fidelity in order to hit the desired fps and frametimes on current GPUs, the UI needs to be tailored to VR to remain readable and not unpleasent flat (“wall in your face style”), anything that is not cockpit based but has first person movement needs to not make people puke all over their flat aso.

I personally think that having those 30 games (and some more not on that list) for day 1, on groundbreaking hardware with such a high price entry point, a heck of an achievement.

9. Zenicetus says:

It’s interesting that there are no “serious” civilian or combat flight sims on that list, when VR is widely assumed to be a perfect fit for flying. Many sim pilots are already used to head tracking, and they have HOTAS gear so they don’t need hand controllers. It’s the perfect niche market for VR.

Part of it is probably just the developers catching up with stable driver support. I know the developer version was working in some sims like DCS and FSX. But I suspect it may also be the difficulty of getting high enough frame rates in the consumer version.

I guess we’ll know soon enough, but we might need the next generation of GPU’s to run at the level of terrain detail we’re used to. Even with current high-end GPU’s, some sims like X-Plane and FSX will struggle to get more than 30 fps at full graphics settings.

• tomek says:

You need a 980ti or better to run that stuff on moderate settings but this really doenst matter because everyone i know or have read about that tried FSX with flyinside on the Rift would rather keep flying with that on low than go back to a monitor. Additionally timewarp helps tremendously in achieving a smooth expirience even when the simulation renders below the required 90fps.

DCS is actively working on HMD support now, FLyinside for FSX is working great already. Theres some low budget stuff coming up form indie developers like Flying Aces VR.

Naturally the first big wave of “sims” will be space stuff because VR nerds usually love scifi and the lack of ground helps with rendering other stuff in higher fidelity.

I am super-excited for Enemy Starfighter, mainly because i dig the flat-shaded art style and the sound effects though: link to

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, I’m probably not allowing for the Wow factor, and people who won’t mind turning down the graphics settings to get there.

Unfortunately my preferred civilian sim (X-Plane) is apparently still hung up on being OpenGL and the Rift being DX only, last I heard. I’m sure X-Plane will manage VR support eventually, but the development pace of that sim is at a glacial pace.

• Cinek says:

I have no clue what “current high-end GPU” you are talking about, cause what you just said is obviously false. I got a mid-range GPU and FSX runs way above 30 fps. Plus: FSX already does have a VR support, in fact: It’s quite an outstanding experience. Flight sims are some of the best games for VR.

• SingularityParadigm says:

“full graphics settings” in this case probably includes being modded with massive high resolution 3rd-party textures and models. Considering that FSX originally was released in 2006, it is kind of silly to *not* mod the graphics.

10. Shellyjerry says:

I have been earning upto $5000 to $8000 each month since Last August by working online on my laptop for 5 to 8 hours daily. previously I thought the job will be tough but contrast to opinion it was too easy sometime i myself wonder how easy the job is for such a big money if You too are interested then Visit………..

║║Check my S☸urce║║ ✪ ••••••••••••►

11. Turkey says:

I thought there would be more dad games on the list considering how hobby dads already have a history of buying expensive gaming hardware for dad simulations.

12. Iamblichos says:

This just cements my belief that I made the right decision not to buy one. I have a Galaxy VR and have seen about half of these games in that format, and they rely far too heavily on the “zomg VR!!1” and don’t have much in the way of content/gameplay. Maybe in a few years, there will be enough content to make it worth the money – and I’m sure the pricepoint will sink like a rock when sufficient market buyin occurs. For now, though, not happening.

• frightlever says:

What you’re describing is natural. The biggest proponents of VR in the world right now know it’s going to take a couple of years for this to become mainstream. But you should accept that some people enjoy the trip, they’re going to see the innovations happening, the disasters, the jaw-droppingly amazing experiences, all of it. That’s where they find the value.

Nothing wrong with hopping on once it’s all been commoditized.

13. schurem says:

Why in hades is DCS not in that list? Or any other first person aircraft game? No il2, no rise of flight…

Taking off in a Su-27 in DCS wearing a dk2 was one of the most dream fulfilling moments in my gaming life so far. Not exaggerating at all!

• Clavus says:

Sim games aren’t really known for being their fast development They’ll probably catch up in the years to come.

• Cinek says:

No idea where you got that notion. DCS already supports Oculus.

• Cinek says:

I would guess it’s because they listed only games that received funding from Oculus to implement VR support?

14. muki0 says:

Grow Home would be absolutely mindblowing in VR!

Can we start a petition?

15. trueGamer says:

I don’t really care for any exclusive Rift game, yet. Happy to use it with racing simulations but we’ll see what comes out. DA future is now!

16. fray_bentos says:

Agree on the Grow Home VR; I completed Grow Home using 3D Vision just last night and found that the sense of scale/height was great, it would of course be even more immersive in VR.

17. MadMinstrel says:

/me sees lots of side-dishes, but little in the way of meat.

18. dsch says:

ITT: People rationalising their decision to not buy VR.

19. syllopsium says:

It could be better, couldn’t it? I can sort of understand no real sims for now, but I’m sorely disappointed that at the moment all the space games are MMO based.

I’m surprised someone like Trackmania aren’t implementing VR support – they’d make a killing if they charged for it!

Still tempted to get one, but I’m probably waiting until later this year, when Broadwell-E and the new graphics cards come out, and a mega system upgrade is viable.

20. Buggery says:

I hope to god that those titles will be timed exclusives and that the Vive will eventually get a share in these titles.

21. Jason Moyer says:

Can’t wait to experience PCars’ AI cars driving straight into walls in fully immersive virtual reality.

22. Unsheep says:

I’m years away from buying a VR set but still:
    Project CARS – great
    Elite Dangerous – great

The rest on the list don’t really interest me.

23. DThor says:

When 3D became a thing (again), the people in the biz that I share a bunch of mailing lists with went on about the redefinition of movies and games, and I publicly rolled my eyes. Admittedly it took a little longer than I suspected (but not by much), but with Samsung quietly (not) announcing it’s not making any more 3D TV’s, that bird is done, stick a fork in it. Now on those same lists I hear the same people with vested interests deride 3D because it was a “gimmick” whereas VR is different because it’s “real”.
    It’s going to be the same thing, except even more aggressively tanking, because it doesn’t have movie theatres to drive the initial public penetration, is extremely expensive, and costs to make actually good games will be prohibitive. Arguably it might find some traction in converting existing games if the API is smart, but, naw, this is going to be only for enthusiasts, and those minimal sales after the initial rush won’t keep life support running.

Elusiv3Pastry says:

Looks like the chaps over at Ars Technica were thoroughly unimpressed with the Rift’s offerings at GDC

link to