Doom Gets Ready To Rip And Tear With Launch Trailer

Doom [official site] is impending. Whether it’s imminent Doom is a matter of perspective – sure, it’s been in development for eight years, but its launch in eight days is still far enough away to feel imaginary to me. Is it inescapable Doom? I suppose we have posted about it a fair bit. And unless something unprecedented happens, it’ll be inevitable Doom. All of which means that yes, it’s time for the new Doom’s launch trailer. Onwards to meet your Doom!

Ooh, is that an Arch-vile I see in there at around 50 seconds? Or someone from Warframe got a little lost. And at 56 seconds – the Spiderdemon or an Arachnotron? I only intermittently watched that hour of campaign gameplay in a window while working, so that’s new and exciting for me to see at least. I do like that Arch-vile design. And that homage to Doom’s box art at the end to milk your nostalgia gland.

Adam found the multiplayer disappointing but we both quite like what we’ve seen of the campaign. I dig that some areas almost resemble Quake multiplayer maps, with plenty of room to scamper and leap and rocketjump around. Yeah, it’s not ‘classic’ Doom, but it never was going to be and its existence doesn’t change those games.

Doom is due to launch on Friday the 13th. Ooh, spooky!

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. aircool says:

Does anyone know if they’ve got rid of the monster closets?

• Michael Fogg says:

monster closets are a-okay, because they are part and parcel of open level design. They were left behind with the rise of linear, set-piece centered levels. I doubt that was much of an improvement.

• thaquoth says:

Yup. I think they kind of got a bad rap when they were overused in more linear games (and incidentally, as cheap jump scares in horror games).

For a lesson in masterful monster closet use I recommend any of Ribbiks’ Doom maps (Sunlust, Swim with the Whales, Stardate 20X6). Just maybe don’t play on UV.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Another guy who REALLY knows how to use monster closets of Mouldy, he of Going Down fame. GD itself as an excellent example, many of its levels open up gradually and the way he escalates fights and even predicts where the player will try to take cover is brilliant. I also recommend his contributions to the first Nova mapset, as they pull similar tricks. I’ve heard his standalone, cacoward-winning map, The Eye, is also brilliant. Haven’t played that one yet though.

Ribbiks is an absolute genius though, don’t get me wrong. Just throwing out another one to try.

• Perkelnik says:

No, they re still in. Only this time, they re all filled with Tom Cruise who refuses to come out.

2. Eukatheude says:

woah these soundtrack-people really don’t get metal now do they

• Phasma Felis says:

What does that even mean? It sounds fine to me.

• klops says:

Yeah. That was about as lame as the intro video. Fortunately the gameplay feels nice.

• Sic says:

Nope, they don’t.

I just hope it’s just for the trailers, and that the actual in-game music isn’t as bad.

• Unknown says:

I would play the shit out of a Doom game soundtracked by, like, Horrendous or Gorguts or Trap Them or something.

gritz says:

Or an actual Doom metal band?

• Unknown says:

Ironically enough, doom (the genre) is slow whereas Doom (the game) is fast. Some Earth or Elder might be nice for one of the slower, creepier levels like E1M8.

• Spacewalk says:

That’s why you use a band like Trouble who could go from slow to fast to back again, quite smoothly to boot. And those guitars.

• Da5e says:

Have you heard the new Gorguts EP? Oh man, it’s a bit good. Since Deathspell Omega seem to have disappeared I’ve been jonesing for some decent dissonance, and Gorguts have provided.

I recommend Amber Grey and Orphan by Gridlink for Doom playing.

• Da5e says:

It sounds precisely like 1997-era NIN, which I imagine is exactly what they were going for, and the cheeky little pinch harmonic at the end is a lovely callback.

How *should* they have done the metal, exactly? Djent and crowdkill and DISRESPECTING YOUR SURROUNDINGS, or like dismal sub-Iron Maiden widdles, or what?

3. Michael Fogg says:

This looks like a remake of Quake II, minus all the bald blokes, rather than Doom. Not cyber-gothic enough…

• Eclipse says:

This looks just like Doom. Quake 1 was the technogothic one. Doom is plain sci-fi with monsters. The only thing I don’t like id the music, but the art direction is spectacular and the gameplay looks awesome

gritz says:

Less than half of DOOM’s levels are “plain sci-fi with monsters”.

For me and a lot of other people, DOOM is more about the abstract hellscapes and odd dungeons.

4. der_Zens0r says:

I watched this hour of gameplay of the campaign, and everything they tell about it sounds great, but all visuals (except one scene) looked too dark and too much like Doom 3 to me :(

Would love to see more colors in the game. And less gore…

• Eclipse says:

Doom is dark and gory and this one doesn’t look at all like Doom 3. It’s deliberately as colorful as the original. Get your eyes checked

5. thaquoth says:

The Arch Vile is probably my favourite enemy in ALL OF COMPUTER GAMES

Nothing beats that “oh fuck oh fuck” feeling once you hear that goddamn “aahhhh” sound. On a more academic level: I love how they basically forced you to rethink the way you played the game. Still circle strafing? Enjoy being reduced to a pile of ashes.

Man, the bestiary additions from Doom II were so good…

• Kaeoschassis says:

The Arch Vile is great, yep. You learn a bunch of new tricks from scrapping with it – ducking behind a pillar for just the last split-second of his attack, rushing in close to try and painlock him with the super shotty. Or when all else fails, panic and spam the rocket launcher in his general direction. Any fight with a (well deployed) vile is generally tense as hell. Then there’s the more recent trend of mappers deploying viles in areas you’ve already cleared, often teleporting them there after they get a brief moment to spot you, so you know that by the time you get there they’ll be well entrenched.

And yes, their sound assets are -incredible- even today.

gritz says:

And the way he laughs when he dies, as if to say “Next time…”

6. Aerothorn says:

For a game that’s supposed to largely be about a fluid sense of movement and speed, that trailer sure has a lot of slow-motion.

Cooper says:

It looks a lot like Raven’s Quake 4. Especially the weapons, and much of the environment.

I’m not sure this is a totally bad thing, I really liked Quake 4. Sure, it was very generic, but it was a very competent, straight forward corridor shooter that didn’t overstay its welcome. If that’s what we can expect from the new Doom, then fine. That’ll do.

8. derbefrier says:

I think its looking great. wasn’t hyped in the least bit until we saw some of the recent campaign stuff. now i cant wait to get my hands on it.

9. Halk says:

How about a single player demo instead to show me that it’s not as awful as that beta?

10. aoanla says:

As with others, I’m a little torn on this – it definitely reminds me a bit of Quake 4 with the aesthetics (although, obviously, demons aren’t that Q4ish) somehow rather than “Doom”ish, the metal isn’t nearly metal enough (but that might just be a trailer level thing), and the plasma gun isn’t… “energetic” enough (the energy balls are too clean and not crackling with energy).

But, there’s a pleasing kineticism about the bits that look gameplayish (as in the 1 hour gameplay video), and I do like the new possibly-Archvile design.

(All of the things which give me significant pause about the new Doom aren’t in the trailer – the three-way unlockables/points economy system, for a very big single bad thing, for example.)

• Kaeoschassis says:

My main problem with the new plasma rifle is the sound it makes. Too quiet, too tame, it almost sounds ‘muted’. The classic plasma rifle WAILED. It was not happy with you. It was not happy with anybody. Both it and the BFG always gave (me) the impression that they barely worked at all, and I loved that.

I don’t mind the new unlock systems though. They’re painting it quite strongly as just an extra level of progression in much the same way you classically got more weapons, ammo capacity, whatever. If it’s well handled I don’t think it’ll get in the way of anything.

• aoanla says:

Yeah, I totally agree – the energy weapons in the original Doom very much felt like they were just this side of exploding or melting, rather than actually projecting energy in the right direction, and the sounds and visuals were both part of that.

11. Sic says:

I want to play this, and I’m sure it’s fine and all, but honestly, if you’re trying to going back to the roots of Doom, why isn’t it darker and more grim?

This seems like a Disneyworld Doom ride, all bright and cuddly. I want to buy plush toys of most of these demons.

You know what the killer feature of Doom was? Lighting. Being able to have darkness in a 3D environment (or, technically, a 2.5D environment). Sure, floor/ceiling textures and slopes were brilliant, but the whole point was how dark the thing was. How scary it was. How metal it was. This whole thing screams of people not actually fan of the aesthetic. Romero and Carmack (Adrian, that is) were making a game they themselves believed in and wanted to play, which I think id software simply hasn’t done since Doom 2.

So, sure, I’ll check it out, and I’ll probably somewhat enjoy it, but it won’t be Doom.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I don’t get this, and yet I’m hearing it often enough that I’m sure there must be some real basis for it. I do agree that classic doom was dark as hell (although a lot of more recent mappers don’t seem to like overusing dark areas much). But the complaints about the aesthetic in general are just… confusing to me? They’ve stayed very, very true to the classic aesthetic in most places, remarkably so in fact. To me, it looks like a game made by people who DO like classic doom. It’s not a remake of classic doom, no, but it takes a lot from it.

• aoanla says:

Well, I’ve been engaging in a bit of introspection, trying to work out what I think is so “Quake 4ish” (and not Doom-ish) about the game, and I think it’s a partly unavoidable differences of medium – this is rendered in a relatively “modern” 3d renderer, with fancy shaders and the like, while the original Doom is filtered through the medium of relatively-low-res sprites of scans of three-d clay models (which were then hand-coloured).
        So, some of this is just the difference between painting a scene in oils or watercolours – inevitably, there’s stylistic differences from the medium.

But I also think there’s design differences that transcend the medium-imposed changes – the ornate Arch-vile head being something, for example, that I’d never have seen in the original Doom; and the pretty conventional fire-and-brimstone hell being the other big change (although, again, given the low-poly nature of the original Doom and Doom2, it’s hard to see what the intent was, in some cases, it always felt like their Hell was a bit more “fleshy”). I think a significant thing there that got lost in translation seems to be the Icon of Sin – there’s some art assets showcased elsewhere that show it as a large engraving on a wall, which misses the point that in the original Doom 2, it was supposed to be a really giant demon, so large that you could only see the head (it’s just that there was no way to make a moving creature that big with the rendering limitations of the old engine – so it got abstracted into a wall texture).

12. Jane Doe says:

After having played both the Doom and Overwatch open beta, I will buy Overwatch and forget about this slow-mo gorefest.

13. mcbob13 says:

Didn’t they already re-re-make this game….

14. Radiant says:

Whats the difference now between Quake and Doom?

15. JcDent says:

Actually really hyped for it after having watched an hour of gameplay. I don’t think I’ve ever played any of the original Dooms, only some Doom 3 and maybe a level or two of Doom Roguelike. It looks beautiful, the shooting seems fun, and holy shit there’s plot involved (that may or may not cast Doom Marine as a constantly reborn conqueror of Hell).

16. tonicer says:

Mark my words: In a couple of months after it’s release nobody will talk about it.

Now look at DOOM 1&2 … even after 23 years people still play DOOM 1&2 … why? Because it’s a PC game.

Console games die quickly just like the console hardware itself. The manufacturer releases a new console and the old one is left for dead.

I really hope … for the sake of my dearest hobby which is gaming that consoles are a thing of the past in a couple of years.

Gaming would be much better of without consoles.

• Jane Doe says:

It all comes down to being mod-able.

Take a look at Skyrim. Designed for consoles, built for consoles, mainly supported for consoles … forgotten on consoles.

On the PC, however, its more alive today than it ever was. Today we enjoy ENB’d 4K textures which make Witcher 3 blush in shame, several DLC-sized and fully voiced add-ons, complete overhauls of the dumbed down leveling systems and game mechanics, detailed and lore-driven sex mods that make dedicated fapping games obsolete, several fully voiced follower of Bioware-quality, and so much more.

Other than that, I fully agree with your assessment that the world would be a better place without stupidifying consoles.

• suibhne says:

The primary reason people still talk about Doom 1 and 2 isn’t that they’re magnificent masterpieces – even tho they might be – but they defined a genre, and almost an entire market (along with a few other early titles like Civ and Warcraft). It’s pretty tough to make that claim of anything nowadays; the Souls games are probably the extraordinarily rare exception that supports the rule. This new Doom will likely be forgotten sooner than the original, but that won’t necessarily have anything to do with its quality.

17. maximus says:

that video made me cringe a little bit =/

18. Jackablade says: