Explore The Universe In Norman’s Sky

That Norman’s Sky game you’re always telling me about – you do know it’s out now, don’t you? The one with a procedurally-generated universe to explore in a dinky spaceship, taking off from planets to point at the stars and leaping into hyperspace to see where you end up? Yeah, it’s out mate. For free. I thought you’d be a bit more excited about it. Did you really not know? You silly sausage. Go on, nab Norman’s Sky for free from Itch.

Oh ho ho! What pranks! What japery! What a mix-up! What a mistake-a to make-a! Norman’s Sky isn’t No Man’s Sky at all and you were 100% fooled admit it you had no idea admit it you were clueless admit it you got all excited admit it you’re a sucker admit it you’re a buffoon admit it you’re a rube ahhh gutted!

What Norman’s Sky is is a low-res take on No Man’s Sky’s procedural galaxy, made by Ivan Notaros in ten hours during April’s Low Rez Jam then polished up a bit afterwards. Fly from planet to planet, enter orbit, go down through the atmosphere and land, take off again and see where you end up. You know, like No Man’s Sky, but with a faux-64×64 pixel display and without all the plants and tigers and ice and shooting and crafting Pip saw when she played.

It’s cheeky but charming, a nice bit of fun. But you might want to turn your sound down, as those roaring retro engine sounds are earmurder.

Actual No Man’s Sky is coming out on June 21st, remember.

Ta to Warp Door for pointing this out.

From this site

1. dontnormally says:

hilarious

2. badmothergamer says:

Funny game. Funny article. Both put a big smile on my face this morning. Thank you.

3. Shift Run/Stop says:

After years of daily lurking, I finally felt compelled to create an account to say that Alice’s articles really do cheer me up, even on the crappest of days. Thanks Alice!

• Biscotti says:

Alice is my favourite RPSer. Her articles are usually both funny and informative without being overly cynical. This one was a lovely ray of light during a difficult exam period. Thanks Alice!

• Alice O'Connor says:

Ah you’re all too kind, thank you.

• Dingbatwhirr says:

Agreed! Alice’s articles are an endless fount (though not as endless as Horace) of wit, levity, and serious Video Games Journalism™.
      The highlight for me have to be the Back to the Future Day articles, working references into every news item, except the one about the DeLorean in Rocket League. Magnificent. May I also offer a hearty ‘Thanks, Alice!’

4. int says:

I move for Norman.

Risingson says:

Noctis vibes.

Captain Narol says:

Well, I know a game where you can also do all this, but with a much better-looking Unity 5 engine.

270 Billion star system to explore. Landing on planets and moons.

It’s not No Man’s Sky and it’s not Noctis. It’s already out and it’s truely an indy hidden gem that very few seems to have heard about.

It’s a multiplayer, persistant world and purposely without PvP. You can build colonies on planets and even jumpgates between systems.

See you there if you can find it, I’m back to exploring deep space !

Captain Narol says:

Btw, it’s not “Elite : Dangerous” either nor “Star Citizen” !

One hint, it has been released on Steam since April 12 and it’s getting good reviews so far.

• Zamio says:

You’re not mysterious or cool.

For anyone wondering, the games called Ascent – The Space Game.

Captain Narol says:

You’re just plain rude and not fun, but answer is correct.

I hope RPS will do a “What I think” of it someday, as this ambitious indy game (2-people team) really needs more publicity.

• NephilimNexus says:

And which of those two people are you?

• Zamio says:

Why are you hiding the game from people who might be interested then? Just say its name instead of trying to hide it.