Platinum’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Game Released

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan [official site], the latest from Bayonetta makers Platinum Games, is now out. I mention this not because I suffer from a crippling nostalgia which means I can only enjoy things from my youth, before I discovered anchovies are actually an acceptable pizza topping, but because Platinum can do great things even with licensed games. Metal Gear Rising, yeah? And Alec liked their Transformers game. So I’m certainly cooing cautiously at this. It’s got co-op too.

Mutants in Manhattan is a… party-based brawler? All four of the turtles roll around together, duffing up bad guys with their own attacks and setting up for big combos with each other’s abilities. You can switch between them as you please, or have pals join in with online co-op. Michaelangelo can make enemies dance, duuude.

It’s not based on the new movies or cartoons or anything in particular, but cobbles together bits and pieces with a story by current Turtles comics writer Tom Waltz.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan is £23.99/29,99€/$39.99 on Steam. Here’s the launch trailer:

I want to see Leonardo running down the spine of Mega-Krang, slashing with his swords while Splinter yells “Yes, yes! Split him wide open!”

As for actual gameplay, that IGN mob looked at the first stage a while ago:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. xrror says:

I was so hoping for local co-op on this game. Sadly the game also seems locked to 30FPS according to many Steam reviewers.

2. ZIGS says:

Apparently this is rather pants

• Baines says:

I was worried that the focus on four player online was going to distract Platinum.

But while Steam reviews are “Mixed”, it looks like pretty much every negative review gave it a “Not Recommended” largely/entirely because of the 30fps frame rate lock.

Digital Foundry was pretty negative about it. Their footage makes it look pretty bland and boring. They compare it to an MMO, which is *not* a favorable comparison for a company that sells itself on action titles. And even compare it *unfavorably* to Legend of Korra, which many consider to be possibly the laziest and worst of Platinum’s library.

3. ansionnach says:

Gah! The voices are all wrong. Doesn’t remind me of the cartoon at all.

• Baines says:

Which cartoon? There have been so many. Animated cartoons, CG series, CG movies, live-action movies, live-action+CG movies, …

Not that the 80s cartoon series was much like the original comic book that it was (very) loosely based upon, either. (Some of the later series got a bit closer to the original comic, though.)

This game is theoretically a mix of various sources.

• Masked Dave says:

Pretty sure those are the current voice artists.

• Masked Dave says:

Just checked IMDB and I couldn’t have been more wrong none of them have even done a Turtles voice-over before (apart from Nolan North, but as Krang and other characters rather than Leo, Splinter and Shredder like he does here).

That said, they certainly sound like the more recent versions so I guess they are based them on those.

• skorpeyon says:

As far as the turtles go, Mikey and Donnie sound the furthest off, but not by a heck of a lot. The other two are pretty dang close to the current Nickelodeon cartoon (which isn’t bad, by the way, my kid loves it and I’ve watched most of it). Splinter sounds a bit awkward, too, and I’m wondering if that was Krang or Shredder doing the voiceover at the beginning. If it’s Krang, it’s definitely weird, Shredder I could buy, though.

4. Alevice says:

Anyone who owns Out of the Shadows can compare it to this new one? I wasnt hot on oots, but it was decent enough. This one even felt like remaking that one rather than just being its proper own thing.

5. Turkey says:

That’s not my Krang. My Krang is whiny and incompetent and wears a mech suit that he created to be caucasian and fat for no discernible reason.

6. death_au says:

I kinda like the idea of the art style, but by the looks of those trailers, it makes it look like everything is made out of paper which makes every blow look really weak. It’s really odd and off-putting. Is anyone else seeing that?

7. Jalan says:

Yet another point in time where someone undoubtedly asks the question:

How, HOW, do you screw up a TMNT game?