Quantum Quest Is A Cyberpunk Tabletop Sim

Have you ever dreamed of a game where you scour the darkest, seediest corners of an over-populated, neon-saturated cyberpunk metropolis? Was that game a virtual board game with lots of deck building and dice rolling? Well, the good news is it might not be a dream after all. Spanish team Quantum Goose are working on a cyberpunk virtual tabletop game called Quantum Quest [official site] and it’s on Steam Concept now.

Quantum Quest draws a lot of inspiration from pop culture, particularly Akira, Bladerunner, and Heroquest. The story’s pretty vague at this point, but we do know it centers around three contract killers paid to do the bidding of the wealthy folk who inhabit the upper reaches of the city’s staggering towers.

Getting down to the nitty-gritty, the game is expected to play like a turn-based tabletop RPG, and will feature single and multiplayer modes, along with a level editor. Players manage an Action deck with cards representing weapons, items, and abilities. You’ll pair all of that card-shuffling with dice-rolls when its time to enter combat, rolling for hits, armor penetration, and damage. There’s a lot going on, but hopefully the computer will be able to take some of the load off.

Quantum Quest is now on Steam Concept, where you can take a look at the project, rate the game, and leave feedback for the developers.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. rancho says:

Wow! Amazing!

I want to see the first image!! I didn’t see!! Why? :)

2. The_Sleeve says:

I’m struggling to understand why the Japanese subtitle at the end of the video reads パンクキュウリ

The literal translation is “Punk Cucumber”. I must be missing something.

• Aetylus says:

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Its like a Japanesisation of something english… “panku” is surely punk, but “kyuuri” I’m not sure of. Perhaps Punk Cure?

At least English speakers don’t have a monopoly on butchering other languages.

• Jessica Famularo says:

Yep, this really confused me too. Kyuuri is indeed Japanese for cucumber, but I’m pretty sure that’s not what the devs were going for.

3. rancho says:

I was thinking the same… but they have posted the same steam concept info in other thread, and explained that this subtitle “makes sense in the argument of the game”.

4. Ksempac says:

This feels like the worst of all worlds.

I love boardgames, i love video games, but I’m not interested in a boardgame in a video game format.

Though i’ve played and enjoyed digital versions of boardgames before, theses are only ersatz destined to fill a lack of boardgaming when the real thing is not possible (due to time constraints, distance or whatever). You lack the social aspect of boardgames as well as the immersion of video games.

It’s especially jarring for a game with “minis”…I would like to hold theses minis in my hand, otherwise if i’m just clicking away, an icon does the job better.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Can’t wait for the iPad version of the boardgame adaptation of this virtual tabletop game. The recaps of the Twitch streams should be great.

tigerfort says:

I’m not that excited by digital versions of existing boardgames, but purpose-designed digital boardgames do at least have the possibility of including things that just can’t be done with physical objects. (In the same way that, eg, Hearthstone has cards that turn into other cards, or allow you to summon random things that aren’t in your deck.) Whether those things will make for good games largely remains to be seen, of course, but there are new and potentially interesting options to explore.

• theWillennium says:

Yeah, I’m also a bit skeptical, even as someone that adores board games and cyberpunk (Android: Netrunner is one of the best games in any medium). Video games have a TON to learn from board games in terms of design, but forcing the literal form of a board game into something designed from the ground up as a digital game feels like a strange and unnecessary skeuomorph.

• thekelvingreen says:

There’s a 3DS rpg that portrays the characters as miniatures; I don’t remember the name. It’s supposed to be quite good, but the idea seems a bit weird to me.

5. Psychomorph says:

Tabletop computer game, bwahah.

6. Scrofa says:

Looks like sort of cyberpunk Card Hunter. Interesting.

7. preshrunk_cyberpunk says:

I may be obligated to buy this game ;)

JiminyJickers says:

Hmm, that looks really good. I definitely want to give it a try.

9. Dlarit says:

This renewed a twinge of hope that someone will make a decent Necromunda game.
    I don’t think I’d want it to visually look like a board game like this, I’m thinking something of a mash up between blood bowl and Xcom, it’s gotta have the gang management and persistence of injuries though with a bit of freedom to accept different missions.

Captain Narol says:

I had a lot of fun with “Mordheim : City of Damned” that has indeed all of that and that you probably already know about, let’s hope the team that made it can secure the rights to Necromunda as many asked them to do it next !

Comment on this story