Smash + Grab = New Bruiser From Sleeping Dogs Team

The studio responsible for open-world martial arts brawler Sleeping Dogs is bringing out a competitive multiplayer punch-up set in a corporate dystopia, they announced today. Smash + Grab [official site] will feature the contestants of an underground competition in which factions smash windows and break down the doors of shops to collect as much loot as they can, fighting off other gangs in the process using third-person combat. The first gang to scoop $50,000 worth of riot loot wins. Come and see, it looks daft.

You’ll be assembling a gang of five characters – some melee, some ranged – and mixing their special abilities with unlockable perks to create a crew that will counter whatever the other teams have planned. There’s still some elements of martial arts to all this, for those sad that this isn’t a another trip to the Hong Kong of Sleeping Dogs. There are grapples, counter-attacks, dodges and finishing moves. Meanwhile, the loot you gather can include weapons and upgrades which you can use to make your gang more vicious.

It’s not clear exactly how the multiplayer works. “A gang includes a leader, a lieutenant, and 3 soldiers,” the developers say. And you will “fight against and alongside player and AI controlled enemies.” Does that mean you can fight in the same gang as your mate? Or do each of you have a separate little crew of automated thugs, working together? It’s not totally clear from the trailer or the website how a match in this urban competition functions, but it does look very messy.

We’ll know more when it comes to early access in September.

From this site

1. ZIGS says:

Oh man, sweet! After the disaster that was Triad Wars, I was afr-

competitive multiplayer

Oh for fuck’s sake

• Blackcompany says:

Same exact sentiments here.

So glad my Netflix backlog is as large as it is. Gaming and I are…on divergent paths…at present. I mean, MOBA this and Multiplayer that…

Whatever happened to good, single player and coop.gaming…?

2. Papageno says:

As a fan of the melee combat in Sleeping Dogs, I can only hope (fervently) that the devs include a proper FoV slider. I mean really, that’s a must-have.

3. Creeping Death says:

Sigh. All I can think is “WHY?”. These guys made what I consider to be the most enjoyable open world gta-alike I’ve ever played. Why do they keep wasting their time and talent on MP attempts that, even if they make it to release, will probably last less than a handful of months?

I’m genuinely curious to know how many attempts they can have at this before it becomes unsustainable for them. Perhaps they’re saving Sleeping Dogs 2 for when they desperately need money.

• mika76 says:

Maybe it didn’t sell well? I wonder how much money they actually made from it.

4. SaintAn says:

Hope all these failures from these guys don’t get them shut down by Sega. People want a Sleeping Dogs sequel and they just keep making junk no one wants.

• ZIGS says:

Sega didn’t publish Sleeping Dogs, Square Enix did. Anyway, this new game appears to be self-published.
      My theory is, after the Triad Wars flop, big publishers steered away from United Front Games and so they resorted to self-publish the most basic type of game possible (co-op) while being able to recycle a lot of assets/tech from their previous games in order to make some quick cash.

5. anHorse says:

MAKE A PROPER SEQUEL YOU IDIOTS

6. sillyhatsclub says:

ugh. this looks like it could be a really cool warriors/state of emergency style game, but god do i hate multiplayer only stuff :(

oh well

7. April March says:

Looks like it’ll be interesting, I’ll wait to see what develops. But yeah, Mr U. F. Games, make Sleeping Dogs 2 already! Or just another open-world game! You are soooo good at it!

8. Cik says:

Gosh darnit. I was hoping for another lonely single-player game that can keep me company while pulling my taffey alone in my basement, and all I get is another game that I have to play with others.