Game of Thrones Composer Twangs On Gears Of War 4

I know what you all might be asking. “Game of Thrones in my Gears of War?” Well, it’s more likely than you think. Game of Thrones composer Ramin Djawadi has joined up with The Coalition to create the score for Gears of War 4 [official site]. “I certainly wanted to stay in the direction fans know, but at the same time, I wanted to bring my own style to it,” Djawadi has said.

This isn’t Djawadi’s first foray into video games. He had experience as a sound technician with Looking Glass Studios (System Shock, Thief) back in the ’90s. In addition to Game of Thrones, Djawadi’s TV and film credits include the Warcraft theme, the Iron Man Soundtrack, and scores for the Prison Break remake and HBO newcomer Westworld.

Gears of War 4 launches on October 11. You can catch a preview of the soundtrack in this video featuring Ramin Djawadi:

From this site

1. RaunakS says:

I haven’t really seen Game of Thrones much after the first season and Sean Bean’s unfortunate headaches, but is the show famous for its music? It’s more for shocking Shyamalanic twists I feel.

Hmm, youtube tells me he did a pretty good piano score for the last season. Not sure how much it fits Gears of War but eh.

I still feel the best modern game music are from the original Mirror’s Edge, Transistor and Deus Ex:HR. A good fusion of techno and orthodox.

• Alto3 says:

I hated that dramatic piano stuff in the most recent episode of GoT exactly because it didn’t fit the atmosphere of the show at all. There’s something incredibly jarring and anachronistic to me about the use of a piano for a show set in a late middle ages sort of technological period (also the whole “solo piano plays over dramatic scenes while nobody talks” is awfully cliche).

For some reason I am willing to overlook the use of modern bowed string instruments like the cello and viola, even though the technological period GoT is set in wouldn’t have these either, but at least they probably would have had bowed string instruments of some kind.

2. Paradukes says:

I think Pacific Rim is my favourite soundtrack that Djawadi worked on.

3. C0llic says:

He’s a talented composer, but the saying ‘you can’t polish a turd’ comes to mind when he’s mentioned in connection with Gears of War.

• Robert The Rebuilder says:

Mythbusters had proved that you can, in fact, .

• Robert The Rebuilder says:

polish a turd.

(I tried to include a link but failed. Curse you, lack of an edit button!)

Nauallis says:

Ok, but can you british a turd?

• Morgan Joylighter says:

Seriously??? Gears of War 2 by Steve Jablonsky and it’s main theme “Hope Runs Deep” is one of the greatest game scores I’ve ever heard. And I say that not as a Gears fan (in fact quite repulsed by the whole thing) but as a music and particularly original score aficionado). It’s up there with the top percentile of the admittedly often-questionable Zimmer / Remote Control team legacy. I suppose if you just automatically hate everything remotely associated with Zimmer and that style then there’s nothing to be done but it’s such a kick-ass track I can’t imagine why any music fan would not consider it at least to be a guilty pleasure.

4. Jediben says:

Bloody Polishes coming over here,gently buffing our excrement!