Ian Milham Is Tomb Raider Series’s New Game Director

Crystal Dynamics recently welcomed Ian Milham to their team. While no new Tomb Raider game is announced yet, he’ll be assuming the role of game director for the series. Don’t worry, he’s got the experience to back it up. Milham has been in the business for twenty years, including time as an environment artist, the art director for the Dead Space games, and the creative director of Battlefields 4 and Hardline.

Milham professed his admiration for Tomb Raider in the announcement:

“When the opportunity came to join Crystal Dynamics, I had to jump on it. This is the home of Lara Croft, who is a legend in action-adventure gaming and a pillar of the industry. I’ve admired Crystal’s work for a while now, as they continue to deliver top notch narrative and spectacle, coupled with deep systems and player choice. I’m very excited about where the studio is headed and I’m eager to be a part of it.”

Lara Croft’s latest adventure, Rise of the Tomb Raider. It’s getting a new DLC pack titled Blood Ties on October 11, visiting Lara’s mansion. I fully intend to use said DLC to relive my childhood, swimming in the pool and locking the farting butler in the freezer over and over again.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

I don’t like the way he eyebrows.

Is that a thing? Can I say that?

Marclev says:

Isn’t that Commander Riker?!

3. geldonyetich says:

Perfect man for the job. With that much experience, he ought to have mastered video game breast physics by now.

4. Psychomorph says:

If “Tomb Raider” would re-join the Tomb Raider series. I’d be happy.

5. yogibbear says:

But can she do cartwheels?

6. Hedgeclipper says:

Was there anything creative in Battlefields 4 and Hardline? I haven’t played them since that style of men gun shooters aren’t really my thing but they looked pretty generic for the genre. Was there something in them that wowed people with the Creative Director’s creative direction?

• Koozer says:

As someone who’s recently splashed an entire £4 on BF4 recently, the only thing that’s wowed me is how completely similar it is to BF3. I am also wowed by how they lost the magic of Bad Company 2 so fast.

• C0llic says:

I don’t seem to hear this much but I loved BFBC 2. I bought BF3 with eager anticipation, but hated it. Haven’t bought a battlefield game since.

• syndrome says:

Both BF4 and Hardline are the worst BFs so far.

BF4 doesn’t even compare to BF3, although it appears to be very similar, exactly because it lacks in creative dept.

To me the vibe of BF4 is completely opposite of BF3, much more naive and gamey, I don’t have words to explain the difference.

Take a look:
      link to youtube.com

• Insidious Mental Pollution says:

So in other words, yes, we should worry.

cpt_freakout says:

Seems like this news bit could really have just been “Corporate Guy takes over Tomb Raider series. In other news, soup is quite nice when it’s cold.”

7. nimbulan says:

That resume does not inspire much confidence for me. I suppose we’ll see how the next Tomb Raider game turns out, though.

8. 7vincent7black7 says:

The first Dead Space blew my freakin mind. The other two? Not so much. If he is responsible for all 3 of them, and for their downward spiral, then this is something I’d consider disheartening.

• TheMightyEthan says:

He was only the art director for the Dead Space series. The art was fantastic, regardless of the downward spiral of the series.

It’s the fact that he was creative director for BF4 and Hardline that concerns me the most…

• 7vincent7black7 says:

Ah, I’m afraid I haven’t played those other two, so I can’t comment on those. Still, I’ll have to give him a free pass on the Dead Space 2 and 3 games then. :3

9. Zenicetus says:

The Tomb Raider reboots could use some help, so I hope this is the guy to do it. I managed to slog through Rise of the Tomb Raider because the environments were interesting, but this kind of budget needs to be spent on a better game.

More actual tomb raiding, and not just one big puzzle. Less Lara as killerbot wading through hundreds of bodies and moaning about how sad it is. And not a final boss fight that’s so heavily scripted that you can’t use anything you learned up to that point, and just have to follow directions. Next time, I want gameplay as good as the environment design.

• lglethal says:

Not sure I particularly agree with your comment Zenicetus. I finally 100%’d the game on the weekend and I had a great time! I thought the puzzles were fine, the tomb raiding was great fun, and the movement felt great. I also didn’t think the story was that bad. Probably, my only complaint would be the dichotomy between how much Lara complains about having to kill people, and how many soldiers get thrown at her to kill. But admittedly, that’s a problem with a lot of games these days (Watch_Dogs in particular springs to mind).

I have no particular problem with a game being on rails if its telling a specific story, and I thought the story was good. Admittedly, it would be nice if Laura was a bit more cheerful, I mean she is supposed to enjoy Tomb raiding, a few exclamations of “Woohoo!” after surviving a particular difficult section or discovering something amazing wouldn’t be out of line (I think Adam(?) said something similar in his review of the game).

But overall I cant wait for the next installment. Still have to decide if I want to get the DLC’s. Not sure how much they would add to the game. Did you happen to try them?

• TheMightyEthan says:

Baba Yaga was good as a campaign expansion, and I enjoyed the Endurance Mode even though it’s just a survival mode and doesn’t add any story content. I don’t have the horde mode one, whatever it was called, so no idea how good that might be.

10. Juan Carlo says:

Is it customary for game designers to have headshots now?

Benratha says:

“… to relive my childhood, swimming in the pool and locking the farting butler in the freezer over and over again”.
    And in the game, Jessica?

12. manny says:

The thirst is strong in this one.

13. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

“Don’t worry … Creative director for Battlefields 4 and Hardline”

Honestly I’m worried.

14. Rince says:

I liked the Tomb Raider reboot. Is my favorite Tomb Raider so far.
    Haven’t played Rise yet.

• 7vincent7black7 says:

Was that the top-down Tomb Raider game that came out. If so, I got that one for free from Playstation Plus, and I didn’t like it. Not because it was bad, but I just don’t usually enjoy top-down rpg’s. It’s just a preference of mechanics mostly.

Dragon Age: Origins was the exception to that. Mother of God, was that the exception!

15. vorador says:

That is the face of someone who smelt a fart and is looking for the source.

That he was the creative director of both BF4 and Hardline doesn’t make it very hopeful. Ask any Battlefield fan around.

Comment on this story