Sniper Elite 4 Vid Bursts Heart Shoulders Knees & Guts

Heart shoulders knees and guts
(Knees and guts)
Heart shoulders knees and guts
And jaw and brain and liver and nose
Heart shoulders knees and guts
(Knees and guts)

That’s a handy song to help you remember which bodybits get shot, stabbed, punched, kneed, ruptured, shattered, and exploded in slow-motion internal views in the first ‘gameplay’ trailer for Sniper Elite 4 [official site].

That’s what it looks like to me, at least (I’m no Frankenstein’s Doctor). Yes, Sniper Elite 4 will return with more World War 2 sniping antics, not to mention plenty of gut-punching and stabbing. It’s a stealth-ish third-person shooter series, see, letting players sneak through missions like a spooky murderghost or explode everything. My point is: guts.

This time the game’s off to Italy in 1943, and supposedly packing larger levels than before. Along with the usual campaign missions, it will have cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes.

Made by Rebellion, Sniper Elite 4 is due on February 14, 2017, priced at £39.99/59,99€/$59.99. If you want to shoot every face, hey, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 is due a few weeks before then too. Anyway, I promised you a video:

Hang on.

This one:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Drib says:

This is one of those games that is just too masturbatory over gore for me to enjoy it. It’s gross and bordering fetishistic at this point.

• gunny1993 says:

I think at this point if they simply started labeling structures it would be educational

• Al Bobo says:

I’m too jaded to hardly even notice all that gore until someone points out that it bothers them. If all the gore in that game was turned to sex scenes, it would make my eyes widen, for sure. And half of the world would be enraged. But no, death is civil; death is the norm. What a weird world this is.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Whoah, imagine if it was all sex. Like, the camera tracks the slow-mo bullet halfway across the compound, and the millisecond before it smacks into soldier man’s patella, the scene flips to tender lovemaking between him and sniper man, who fades into nothingness after climax, leaving soldier man in a dead heap exactly as if he’d been murderised by a gun bullet. That’d be great. Sigh. Someone’ll probably mod it in anyway.

• Otto Lidenbrock says:

Indeed, I was completely put off the new DOOM for the same reason: some of the finishing moves shown of in promotional videos were far too nasty for me…

• polecat says:

I know what you mean – DOOM was borderline too much for me but the sense of flow made it exciting enough to persevere. This – eugh. Imagine being the person who has to spend days researching and refining the modelling of how the brain jiggles when stabbed.

• K_Sezegedin says:

Doesn’t it make a difference that the depicted foes are demons from hell rather than enemy peoples?

I think it does, – I’d gleefully watch a man beat a demon to death with its own arm but doing so to an image of a human would make me uncomfortable.

• phreddo says:

Seriously. I tried playing an earlier version of this game, but after seeing bullets penetrate skulls for the 10th time, I had to stop playing. I found watching that level of gore disturbing, and after a while, it wasn’t even interesting. It felt like they threw in a quicktime event to just to waste your time.

AutonomyLost says:

I cannot wait for this game.

• Monggerel says:

I second the notion. I cannot *clap* wait *clap* for *clap* this *clap* game!

• Monggerel says:

I arrived at the age where I can’t do memes right anymore.
        The point stands.
        I literally, actually am not able to wait for this game! I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS GAME! FOR THIS GAME, WAIT, I CANNOT! IT IS NOT DOABLE!

3. Jediben says:

That song is the exact content of my pug’s raw diet. He is also a dab hand with a bolt action rifle.

4. Chorltonwheelie says:

5. jeeger says:

Might I just say: The first video was *incredibly* well chosen to illustrate your point. Basically masturbatory power fantasies.

I know that most games are this to some extent, but nothing drives the point home quite like some pudgy middle-aged guys dismembering what amounts to a sex doll for violence fetishists. Eurgh.

6. FuriKuri says:

Dads with swords, Alice. Dads with swords.

7. Neurotic says:

Sniper Elite was and is an incredible game, absolutely solid gold imho. SE3, on the other hand, was a huge let-down from point of view of being far, far too short. So everything was prettier looks-wise, but the campaign was criminally under-cooked. I just hope 4 doesn’t go the same route of fewer, larger levels.

InfamousPotato says:

I think I would enjoy this game, but rather than making me excited for it, the notion that this is among what I might find to be enjoyable worries me. I don’t think I want to play it at all. If I can direct my taste in video games in any way, I’d rather direct it towards something less… gleeful in its hyper-realistic destruction of the human body.

I’d be even more horrified if the people being shot weren’t Nazis, but they seem to be the realistic equivalent of Lord of the Rings’ Orcs (which is perhaps a bad attitude to have towards both humans and orcs…).

On the other hand, perhaps I’m not being fair to the game, as I’ve only seen this one trailer (plus, the scenery certainly looks pretty). I look forward to the Wot I Think, and any other RPS words about it.

• Anti-Skub says:

The game knows what it is. It’s not trying to pitch itself as a serious shooter, it’s more like the FPS equivalent of Mortal Kombat. The gritty realism of the anatomy is used as a punchline to the ridiculous violence.

InfamousPotato says:

I think you’re right, and the humor will probably be more evident in the actual gameplay than the trailer. Still, although I don’t have anything against in-game gore on principle… I’m not sure that this is the best game for me. Again, I’m going to wait and see.

• Neurotic says:

One thing to note is that (at least, in 2 and 3) you can turn off the ‘x-ray’ view, and adjust how often you see the close-up ‘kill shots’. At that point, it becomes more or less any other 3rd-person WWII shooter. SE 2 was a fantastic, solid game. Very exciting and tense, with great moments of calm planning before mayhem breaks out. I loved it, and I say this as a person who doesn’t really like snipers and sneaking/stealth stuff. (I also played it with minimum kill shots).

9. Anti-Skub says:

Every time a post on RPS has a really dumb joke in the first couple of lines that has me laughing out loud, I think “I wonder who wrote this? Oh would you look at that, it’s Alice”…it’s always Alice.

10. Hunchback says:

I seem to remember this game actually being about sniping, as in shooting a gun from a very long range. I don’t get all that hand-to-hand combat, machine guns, etc…
    It looks like the next random console FPS trash, edition 2016.

11. MajorLag says:

In theory I should like Sniper Elite, and SE2 had its moments when you have to make a difficult shot from a great distance with realism at maximum and no hud assist; that’s when the goreshot really works, because you earned it and are genuinely interested in precisely how well you just demolished a man’s internal organs. But on the whole, I hated just about every non-sniping part, of which there were far too many for a game with “Sniper” in the title, and couldn’t quite get over the absurdity of making the soviets the bad guys in a WW2 game.

12. NarcoSleepy says:

I don’t care so much to see the visceral damage inflicted, except for the time that I accidentally testically executed someone. That had me giggling for hours. I wonder if the feature can be turned off.

Comment on this story