Steam Charts: Sidney The Best

I have a terrible confession to make. While, on a weekly basis, I protest about the oft-unchanging nature of these charts, the truth is that a new entry makes me sigh. It means I have to laboriously type out new HTML rather than just copy the links from last week. This means terrible, unspeakable suffering in a week such as this, where there actually are quite a few ‘new’ games.

1. Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

Due for release in two days, but making it to the top on the back of a wave of pre-orders last week. Whether this is down to pure enthusiasm or fear of missing out on a rather ugly pre-order deal which restricted the Aztec faction to folk who paid speculatively I do not know. It should be noted that the Aztecs will be made available for free to everyone after 90 days, which rather shines a light on the arbitrary nature of this particular promotion.

2. Shadow Warrior 2

Wang wangles his wangy way to a wangtastic number two position. Just good vibes for its manic-comedic ultraviolence, or aided and abetted by a surprising dearth of new big-brand first-person shooters in what is usually one of the biggest months of the year for Ian Machinegun and friends? COD and Battlefield are on their way, although we won’t see the latter here as it’s Origin-limited. Gears of War, though third person, is also doing the triple-A pew-pew march, but it’s Windows-store exclusive for the time being.

3. Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

This is almost certainly the £70 Digital Deluxe Edition. Stop that, it’s silly.

4. Mafia III

A short-lived reign at the top – perhaps because the response to 2K’s latest period open-worlder was on the tepid side. It’s a crying shame this wasn’t more of a triumph, as it’s a rare and welcome thing for a mainstream videogame to be told from a black perspective. Let’s just hope the muted reaction to Mafia III doesn’t deter other corps from resisting action game protagonist tropes.

5. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Though we often wonder about why Valve are still yet to announce a new
Half-Life game, the continued presence of CSGO in these charts makes it
Easy to see why that is the case. Given the enormous sums of money that
Valve are surely making from Counter-Strike: Global Offensive alone
Each and every week (not even counting add-on sales), there’s simply no
Need for them to be working on what would be a primarily singleplayer
Game. I don’t think it’s inaccurate of me to claim here that almost
All of us wish to find out what happened to Gordon Freeman after Ep 2
But let’s face it, between CSGO, Dota 2 and Steam itself Valve’s got
Untold amounts of money and, frankly, workload to deal with as it
Stands. Mind you, that doesn’t seem to have prevented the company from
Investing in costly hardware experiments with limited mainstream appeal,
Such as the Vive and that buzzing lump of plastic known as the Steam
Controller. I know that the employees working on these are different to the
Ones who work in software rather than hardware, but even so it’s just
Mighty hard to suppress the feeling that the company seems so much more
Interested in something other than that what so many of us want from it.
Never mind, at least we can all kid ourselves that the Steam Winter sale has
Got some kind of hidden HL3 announcement ARG.

6. Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man

Back in the day, as I recall, Europe Universalis games were the kind of thing that editors felt duty-bound to run reviews of from some dim sense that they shouldn’t neglect the strategy market. Desperate emails were sent out, scouring the ranks of tired freelancers for someone, anyone who might dig grand strategy, often resulting in confused, mealy-mouthed pieces that praised ‘depth’ and complained about graphics. How the worm has turned: Paradox’s bread and butter is pretty much guaranteed a top-ten slot these days. It’s big business, to the point that even an add-on can do this well.

7. Shadow Warrior 2

I believe this to be the ‘Deluxe’ version whose main draw is a gold skin for some weapons and armour. Joke’s on us, isn’t it?

8. Grand Theft Auto V

9. Battlerite

Watching you, Battlerite. Watching you.

10. Football Manager 2017

The foot-to-ball gods will be pleased. I know I act all ‘pfft, sport’, but the truth is I really enjoy football management games despite not understanding 90% of it. This latter essentially disqualifies me from writing critically about an FM game, which is a damned shame as I’d love to find an excuse to pour a few hundred hours of my so-called life into one.

Oh, this is another entry based only on pre-orders, by the way. I’d love to have a way to filter those guys (and the duplicate entries) out, but I don’t so I won’t.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Banks says:

Shadow warrior 2 is such a disappointment. Why did they turn this into borelands ffs. DOOM was way better.

• Agnosticus says:

This was my initial impression also, but having played the game for about 10 hours, I’m really liking the core game play loop.

It’s just great to be able to modify your wast amount of weapons the way you want. And if you adjust the level of difficulty, the enemies won’t feel bullet spongy at all.

• neems says:

Mysteriously, I find Shadow Warrior 2 much more entertaining than DOOM, ffs.

2. kergguz says:

The Vengabus is coming
    And everybody’s jumping
    New York to San Fransisco
    An intercity disco
    The wheels of steel are turning
    And traffic lights are burning
    So if you like to party
    Get on and move your body

3. Someoldguy says:

I’m impressed you summed up the energy to write so much about Valve/CS:GO just to have more Vengabus fun.

Interesting to see the EU DLC grab a chart position when so many of us seem to hang fire on them until they’re stable, relatively bug free, our favourite mods have adapted to cope and we’ve finished out existing 150 hour empire in progress before upgrading.

4. reticulate says:

I assume GTA V’s perennial perch on these charts is due to Shark Cards yeah? There can’t still be enough people out there actually buying the game at full price to keep it in the top ten for this long, surely.

• Unclepauly says:

Rockstar and Valve have an “agreement” that keeps GTAV in the top ten. (They split the proceeds) I’m serious. No I’m not.

phuzz says:

Some people are assuming that it’s being bought by people who have already been banned for cheating, and need/want a new copy.
      I’m just wondering how many more they have to sell before Rockstar can afford to buy all of Scotland, and what Alec will do when it’s no longer in the chart.

5. Ferno says:

I just wanted to say, Alec, that as someone who doesn’t really care how the steam sales are shaping up, I thoroughly enjoy reading this each week. Watching a man slowly dissolve into a puddle of insanity at the eternal CS:GO and GTA5 is highly entertaining.

(Good work on keeping this funny each week!)

• Darth Gangrel says:

And apparently, the solution to Alec’s anxiety over the sameyness week after week isn’t new games entering the charts, because that leads to new problems – writing new HTML code. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

6. SteelPriest says:

For all the reasonableness of anti-preorder chat, if you want to play the game on launch day, it’s cheaper. GMG had Civ6 for £38 the other day, it’ll probably be £50 on Friday.

• Unsheep says:

That’s how they usually “reward” you for taking a big risk, in buying a game before reviewers and critics have had their say.

If the developer has a good track-record within a specific genre the risk of getting a bad product is lower. Personally, I think there’s less risk involved with pre-ordering ‘Civlization VI’ than with pre-ordering ‘Titanfall 2’ for example.

• Zenicetus says:

The track record for the Civ series hasn’t been that great lately. Civ V had brain-dead tactical AI on release, and it took months for it to be patched. Civ Beyond Earth was an uninspired bore.

The previews on this one look better though, so maybe it’s an exception to the “wait for more feedback when the last one had a rough launch” rule. I’m still dithering on whether to pre-order for the Aztecs.

liquidsoap89 says:

Yea Civ 6 is $80 here in Canada, but GamersGate has a promotion where you can get it for about 40 fake bucks. After conversion it came to less than $55 CDN, which is the lowest amount I’ve paid for a new release in ages.

I know I’m going to play this game -broken or not- so it makes sense for me to save some money before doing so.

7. thelastpointer says:

Anyway — Serious Sam games are 90% off today on Steam, folks. Hurry up!

8. Unsheep says:

People who pre-order have no right to complain later on, unless there are technical problems with running the game, that’s the only exception. If you think a game is boring or not fun it’s your own fault for not waiting.

For ‘Mafia III’ to even be in the Top-10 for a while is still a big achievement, considering its competition and the game’s settings and topic. It has certainly been more successful than I expected.

‘Shadow Warrior 2’ truly deserves the attention in my opinion. It’s a cool not-so-serious shooter. I like it more than Doom 2016.

‘Europa Universalis IV’ is the biggest shocker for me though. The Civilization games are quite casual, anyone can play them, hence their broad appeal. Europa Universalis is rather “hardcore” in comparison, you need some serious effort and patience to learn and manage these games, something I don’t associate with mainstream gamers.

‘Football Manager 2017’ is quite a surprise as well. While I like playing FIFA and PES casually on console, that is where my interest in football ends. However if you have a deep knowledge of clubs and the whole business aspect of football I can see the appeal of this game.

• TheMightyEthan says:

You could just as easily say people who buy games after launch have no room to complain if the game is bad because reviews were available so they should have known what they were getting in to.

9. Laurentius says:

Let’s be real with GTA 5 for a second. It’s one of the biggest video gam bestsellr fo all times, it rarly leaves console top charts even with it being longer avaliable there. Why is it suprising to b still in PC top charts? Well, it shloudn’t be.

10. robertlepervers says:

Weren’t you fired, Alec Meer ?

11. Cantisque says:

I pre-ordered Civ6 on enthusiasm. They released a preview build to a lot of publications and streamers who have been going quite in-depth with it. Despite the preview lacking some stuff, I still feel it’s shaping up to be a worthy successor to Civ5 (which launched in a terrible state).

Comment on this story