My Summer Car Veers Into Early Access Next Week

My Summer Car [official site], the drunk cousin of Jalopy, is coming to Steam Early Access next week. It’s a driving game and life simulator about building, fixing, and driving your own car, while also larking about and trying not to die in Finnish countryside of 1995. So sure, you can take your car apart and fine-tune it to win races, and you can also find a job to pay for beer then get smashed and die drunk in a ditch. That’s the full spectrum of ’90s Finnish rural life as I understand it.

So! My Summer Car is a life simulator focused around cars. You get hungry and thirsty and need to waz and all that, staying alive so you can dick about with cars. The simulated cars and the maintenance thereof are quite serious, down to needing to pick the right-sized spanner for different nuts. You can tune, fix, and upgrade your car, obviously. You can enter races. You can drive boats. You can pootle around the countryside as you please. You can get jobs to pay for all of this. You can rile up the police. Go to saunas. Siphon fuel. And you can get hammered and die terribly – naturally, it has permadeath.

I’ve had an eye on My Summer Car for ages, fascinated by the eclectic bits of both cars and life that it chooses to simulator. It’s a joke game in that it’s meant to be funny but it looks quite earnest – not another kooky game endlessly entertained by wacky physics. Also, I really dig the dev videos:

That’s from April 2015, mind. This is more like how it looks now:

Amistech Games are bringing My Summer Car to early access on October 24th. They expect it should launch properly within a year, during which they’ll polish it and bosh in a story. Given that it’s a dicking about simulator, playing it unfinished doesn’t sound like too much of a problem.

From this site

1. MrFinnishDude says:

As a Finn, I can confirm.
    My cousins live in the rural countryside and they used to tune cars and mopeds, and then dirt-rally in a nearby quarry. This game accurately represent that side of Finland.

reddog says:

Because explaining jokes makes me feel smart: Amistech, the name of the developer, contains the word “amis”, which is short for ammattikoulu, meaning a vocational school. Which is where “all” rural kids in Finland go to learn how to be plumbers and car mechanics etc, because they don’t have the motivation or grades for anything more ambitious. And also because they are scared of trying new things like moving to a Big City, which would also mean not being able to tune your sweet car and drink beer with childhood friends all day long (small town unemployment = lots of free time) while sporting a rad teenage moustache (important). This is the stereotype of what being an “amis” is.

3. kode says:

I’ve also been keeping my eye on this for a long time, and it’ll be interesting to finally have the option to play it.

4. Siresly says:

Glad to see this moving along towards completion. I’m definitely in once the journey is done. Just not that into the idea of playing unfinished games.

“Game is like bread dough, where some salt needs to be added.”
    This guy is great.

5. ButteringSundays says:

Oooh.

So it’s basically Jalopy but with more Car Mechanic Simulator? And whacky? Sign me up!!

Now I just need someone to do the same while adding a soupçon of Beamng Drive (read: soft-body simulation) and I think we have my perfect game.

6. Al Bobo says:

That car is Datsun 100A, no doubt about it. My friend owns one of those – or my friend’s parents, more precisely. It has somewhat of a family heirloom status at this point, since it was their very first car. When we were children, we used to drive that car around the narrow homeroad during summers while listening music from compact cassettes his big brother had made.
    Also my friend, just like I, is from Finland and this game is like my friend’s life minus the unlawful stuff.
    He does odd jobs here and there, fixes his cars while drinking beer and listening music in his carage.
    I think he will like this game alot :D

7. ButteringSundays says:

What I didn’t expect is people to remark on the games accuracy in portraying rural life in Finland. It sounds just about perfect to me.

8. dare says:

This is so unbelievably Finnish
    I can’t
    even
    perkele
    There’s no way this will translate. Although to be honest, I was a bit disappointed when the auto inspection sheet said “Peräjärventie” instead of “Persjärventie” as I read at first.

9. Chairman_Meow says:

link to youtube.com

Finland Finland Finland, the country where I want to be…

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Are there going to be different mechanics for male and female pit stops?

11. Otterley says:

Kimi Räikkönen: The Formative Years

12. Umberto Bongo says:

I enjoyed Jalopy up to a point but it felt rather shallow. This looks to be taking the same idea but putting more meat into it. As a fan of faffing about in games this interests me.

13. Chillicothe says: