Key reseller G2A launch first own game, a VR theme park

There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city.

G2A, the game key reselling marketplace once accused of facilitating a “black market economy” partially fuelled by credit card fraud, have release the first game from their own in-house development studio. G2A Land [official site] is a BioShock Infinite-lookin’ virtual theme park for Rift. It’s a grab bag of VR experiences, including a roller coaster, a virtual cinema, and a pretty-looking undersea tour. G2A’s move into actually making games is a curious one, especially with their focus on VR.

G2A Land’s attractions are a rollercoaster rolling over the park, a shooting range, a pretty underwater guided ride, a cinema to watch stuff in cyberspace, and an unbranded Batman Batbike knock-off experience. The park itself reminds me of BioShock Infinite’s city of Columbia, making the rollercoaster winding over its rooftops quite confusing. I don’t think it’s full of virtual racists, mind.

G2A are also making Blunt Force, a World War 2 FPS for cybergoggles. They’re clearly set on VR, which seems curious to me given how niche VR still is, but I suppose they’re taking a calculated gamble on future growth and getting in early.

They’re not a small company, to be clear; G2A’s website says their team numbers over 700. I suppose there’s a fair bit of money in taking a cut of selling games cheaply by not asking too many questions about where keys come from. G2A have started trying to reach out to devs more, such as offering a cut on sales of their games through G2A, but even that seems a gesture which quietly acknowledges something’s iffy about their model yet hopes a little cash will help devs accept it.

G2A Land is £7.99/$9.99 on the Oculus Store. I’ve had a look but can’t find keys cheap on G2A or other key resellers yet.

1. Ghostwise says:

The money may be dubious, but at least there’s little market for the product.

2. rabbit says:

i hope that the other unauthorised key reseller websites stock this

• PseudoKnight says:

I’m sure no one will submit chargebacks… nah

• RaoulDuke says:

Well its G2A who has control of who they sell their keys to surely? So if they end up on another key reseller site, then that could only have happened if G2A sold some of their keys to resellers that sell on that site, so they will have made their money already.

This is the crux of the matter for me, stop selling your keys super-cheap in 10k-100k batches, to sellers who distribute them to key resellers. Also, they should region-lock their keys if you don’t want super-cheap brazilian/russian/chinese steam keys to be resold in english-speaking countries [Which is often 50%-75% cheaper than the UK/USA steam price]

How come GTA V wasn’t really cheap on G2A/Kinguin? I paid £38.99 through steam because it was the cheapest available, its because Rockstar had a very tight control of who they sold the keys to, namely steam and through their own site/the Rockstar Social Club launcher thingie, I’m guessing they were also region-locked.

3. Ejia says:

So instead of being a developer that started a games storefront like Valve/Ubi/EA/Stardock, they’re going the opposite direction by starting out as a store that’s going to develop their own games? Will we be seeing Kinguin develop a penguin-based MOBA next?

4. KFee says:

No way I support those thieves and I wonder why the still exist anyway.

• Suits says:

Because there is barely any legislation on this front still

• Ghostwise says:

Because people keep throwing money at them ?

• noodlecake says:

They are thieves? Could you elaborate?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Because they are essentially a fence for stolen goods.

• MisterFactoryNewPotatohead says:

Read or skim over this article for real in depth information about G2A’s shady shit: link to lockesjourney.wordpress.com
        Also this:
        link to youtu.be

• Kushiel says:

I knew from the first paragraph of that blog, in which it claims that “those looking for bias should look elsewhere,” that it was going to be unintentionally entertaining, but I wouldn’t recommend reading it for any other purpose.

I would recommend one written by someone who’s actually got some insight into the issue rather than relying on admitted speculation, though: link to fortressofdoors.com

• Anti-Skub says:

I see no evidence in that article…just slightly better written speculation. I’ve yet to see anyone give any actual evidence for this whole “resellers facilitate fraud” argument. To me it seems a lot like people just wanting to feel morally superior.

In that article there, he claims that a guy with 4000 negative reviews is CLEARLY a fraud and should be removed from the website…doesn’t bother mentioning the quarter of a million positive votes though. That 1-2% ratio of positive to negative would make you a top seller on most websites, ebay included. Is ebay a scam that should be shutdown because sometimes people aren’t honest? Would you automatically assume a seller with 99% positive rating on ebay was stealing the stuff he was selling?

I’ve used G2A and Kinguin in the past, and I’ve had issues where keys didn’t work…but contrary to what the article states they do, they did not laugh and take my money. On the contrary, they’ve always been extremely helpful and either refunded or resolved the issue in minutes…and this has been without the insurance as well.

• Kushiel says:

The article I linked to itself has a number of links to other industry folks talking about G2A being harmful, and those linked articles contain links to more of the same. Measured against the dude trying to use the dictionary definition of “grey market” to make his point, and I’m pretty confident about which take on this has got more backing it up.

5. nomilarac says:

Just in time for RPS to greet me for the first time ever with an AD for another key reseller, Instant-Gaming. Huge Ad-panel to the right of the page, heavily distorting the usual RPS layout; it seems to be a new Google-ads thing.

Is this the road we’re going down, RPS?

• ooshp says:

Viewing the internet without an ad blocker must be like being super hungover and walking into bright morning sunshine with no sunglasses on.

• emotionengine says:

On a related note, while reading RPS on mobile I was greeted with this ungainly ad smack in the middle of the page: link to imgur.com

I know that a third party handles the ads. I’ve whitelisted you in my Adblocker in good faith, but this is not OK, RPS.

6. KFee says:

Sounds like money laundering to me ;)

7. mxxcon says:

G2A is the lowest of the low! They are worse than warez pirates!
    If game piracy makes games free, these bastards are actually making money on it! I will not be playing or buying this game or any other game published by G2A. I will not be buying anything from G2A. I will not be supporting any streamer or youtuber that is sponsored by G2A. Yes, i’m just a single person, but fuck G2A!

8. melnificent says:

There’s never been more than speculation of stolen keys. The available facts always point to the same thing. Devs/pubs sell the keys super cheap and then get upset when people legitimately sell them on.

TinyBuild were the last to claim a loss of roughly $450k, But it turned out that they’d been selling their games for pennies in bundles.

Ubisoft claimed the same, I got caught up in that one, and when push came to shove, they reinstated keys instead of provide actual proof.

Sniper Elite 3 devs suddenly revoked keys claiming they were stolen, but somehow stores that bought their keys direct from them apparently had stolen keys too.

The solution is simple, stop selling your keys so cheap in the first place and they won’t be appear on G2A at these reduced prices.

9. ooshp says:

Would it be overly cynical to assume that their focus on VR has something to do with Facebook money? I don’t think anyone’s releasing Rift-only software for any reason apart from easy money.

10. Parrilla says:

When I see “Rift” I still think of the MMO. Confused me for a while.