Might & Magic Showdown lets you paint your champs

The trailer for the new Might & Magic Showdown [official site] is either the most unabashed celebration of childhood nerdiness or a sly reminder of our collective arrested development. I’m going with the former, because I am a giant smiling child. Incidentally, this magical battling arena is now early accessible, and most importantly, there’s also a free standalone game called the Paint Workshop that lets you paint the miniatures with tiny virtual brushes.

Wasn’t that heartwarming and a little embarrassing but a nice kind of embarrassment like a sheepish kind of embarrassment where really you’re quite happy inside? The “tactical PvP combat” of the game itself is a mix of programming your heroes to fight a certain way and performing some actions in real-time as they clash with your opponent’s heroes. There’s 20 little scrappers, either Hero types or Creature types. Heroes you control as they fight, bringing one at a time onto the field, whereas the Creatures have to be programmed with a tactics editor and will act according to how you’ve “trained” them. This video in a development blog post explains things in a little more depth.

The Paint Workshop meanwhile lets you slather five champions in whatever colours you want (even if you don’t buy the fighty game) in an effort to make them look intimidating or daft. Remember doing that? Pip does, because she only did it last week (that’s a supporter post, sorry plebs!) Her and Alice are going to have a gander at this digital equivalent of steady handed micro-artistry and see how badly they can blot out the eyes of a golem. I’m standing far away from them.

1. Captain Narol says:

I was seriously tempted after reading this article but the first comments on steam forums tend to indicate that the tactical aspect badly lacks depht and compares to a mobile game…

Additionnally, Uplay is required.

Well, I’ll keep an eye from afar, just in case it evolves in a better direction during EA…

• AngoraFish says:

‘Mobile game’ seems to be an increasingly common shorthand in Steam reviews for a backlash against casual games generally.

What the throw away insult is really saying is that people who don’t have the time or energy for Civ 5, Counter Strike or Dark Souls should just piss off the PC and leave the platform to ‘serious’ gamers.

As if people shouldn’t be allowed to have mobile game-like experience on a bigger screen in the comfort of their office chair.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Well, no, they shouldn’t. If they’re at the office, they should almost certainly be working.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Hm, have you not come across anyone referring to their home computer-room as “the office” before? It’s something I’ve heard a lot throughout my life thus far, especially more recently. In short, being in your “office” doesn’t necessarily mean you should be working.

Also “office chair” is fairly commonly used to refer to any wheely-chair, whether it be in an office or not. So that’s a thing.

But yes if you’re in your actual office at your actual workplace get the heck back to work, games are for free time.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

I have, Mr. Serious. But sometimes it’s fun to interpret things in a way other than that in which they were intended.

• Kestrel says:

I actually wasn’t sure what an office was until reading this thread. Thank you.

• AngoraFish says:

Leaving aside the obvious wage slave implications of your comment…

What does everyone else sit in front of their computer with? A lounge chair? a dining chair? A home computer chair (is that a thing?) I guess some people might have a ‘gaming chair’ but that would then preclude using it for web surfing, emails and watching torrented movies. OMG, how many different chairs do I actually need here?

Failed attempt at humour fails…

• Ghostwise says:

Rule #2 – never trust a Steam review.

2. CriticalMammal says:

This seems pretty rad for the model painting stuff. Kind of admired hobbyists I’ve seen who paint Warhammer miniatures. Cool for this game to acknowledge and respect that side of things. Shame the game bits aren’t being as well received though.

• JimboDeany says:

This is exactly the kind of thing they should have done for Bloodbowl and the like, would’ve pleased an enormous number of people.

• Captain Narol says:

Let’s hope someone from Cyanide is reading RPS and they will do it for Bloodbowl 3 !

Indeed the model painting side of the game seems nice, it’s the tactical PVP skirmishing that seems weak at this point, and sadly that’s the part that interest me the most…

• particlese says:

Yeah, same sentiment here. I wasn’t ever into it myself aside from a few model cars I assembled and amateurishly but joyfully painted, but I had some friends who made some Warhammer figures good enough to sell for baffling amounts of money. Including the existing creation aspect of tabletop games in such a game is a completely awesome idea, regardless of how many willies end up tattooed on people’s dudes.

3. hurrakan says:

I recently started playing Warbands Bushido and was thinking a few weeks ago that it would be awesome to be able to paint the digital miniatures just like this! Although they need to be more detailed.

I used to play Warhammer and paint miniatures when I was younger – but not for years now. But I just did a lot of research into current paints because my brother requested some for xmas. It made me want to get into it again!

4. Chiron says:

Games Workshop shit a brick.