White Wolf bringing Werewolf: The Apocalypse to PC

When Paradox bought World of Darkness creators/publishers White Wolf back in 2015, I immediately started thinking of the games they’d make. A Vampire: The Masquerade grand strategy game along with a sequel to RPS favourite Bloodlines perhaps? Or how about those Werewolves? Well, today White Wolf have announced a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game, but it’s not coming from Paradox. It’ll be published by Focus and developed by Cyanide, who are currently working on a Call of Cthulhu game. We’ll learn more about both games early next month, but the few Werewolf details already available are below.

At the moment it’s not clear what genre the game will fit into, and given that Cyanide have made fantasy sports sims, non-fantasy cycling sims, stealth action goblin sims and space marine shooting sims in recent years, I can’t hazard a particularly educated guess. If I were pushed, I’d say it won’t be a cycling sim, though that’d be quite the thing. I reckon it’ll be an RPG, in that you’ll play a role. The role of a rage-fuelled Werewolf warrior opposed to urban civilization and the destruction it brings. Let’s look at the press release:

In the game you will become a Garou, a rage-fuelled Werewolf warrior opposed to urban civilization and the destruction it brings. The Garou are born to fight the corruption of The Wyrm, a powerful supernatural force leading us towards an inevitable Apocalypse.

Martin Ericsson, lead storyteller at White Wolf (and what a job title that is), had this to say:

The world is dying. When will you Rage? The core question of Werewolf: The Apocalypse is more relevant today than ever before and the cooperation with Focus and Cyanide will finally give gamers the opportunity to revel in the raw power and primal spirituality of the Garou. What is the price of saving the world with fang and claw? Find out for yourself as we explore the darkest corners of a dying planet.

That “more relevant today than ever before” line might seem like it’s about a certain event happening tomorrow, but perhaps it’s a broader environmental message in the context of the other quote. Of course, all of these things are most likely linked. If there isn’t a Dylan Thomas quote in the intro or at least one of the trailers, I’ll eat my hat.

White Wolf licensing properties out to other publishers and developers doesn’t mean the Vampire grand strategy dream is dead. Or that of the Bloodlines sequel. As mentioned, we’ll know more about Werewolf – including its actual name, unless it’s just going with Werewolf: The Apocalypse – on the 1st of Feb, when Focus hold their annual event, looking at all their upcoming games. I’m half expecting Vampyr to have a Malkavian or two folded into the mix.

From this site

1. Hakkesshu says:

Really Paradox, you could not find someone better than goddamn Cyanide?

Aptly named because all their game design is poison

• UKPartisan says:

I dunno, I think Cyanide did a great job on Blood Bowl 2.

• Deadly Habit says:

and Styx and Game of Thrones…

• Aetylus says:

Unless you wanted single player Blood Bowl. I’ve not seen worse AI or a worse single player campaign in many a year. (Gamed looked pretty tho).

• Verbo says:

I really enjoyed Styx and thought it was one of the better stealthy stabby games in recent years.

• slerbal says:

Styx was great. Not perfect, but damn good. A very good Thief-like, much more so than Thief4.

• April March says:

I don’t feel as ill-disposed towards Cyanide as you do, although my reaction remains a 🤔 at best.

2. Hensler says:

Heres some early gameplay footage, looks about like you’d expect from a Cyanide game:

• Shuck says:

Ouch. Even for what must be a 20-year-old game in its early stages, it’s still painful to look at.

• Gabbo says:

Man, I remember being so hyped for this and VtM:Redemption back in the day.

• vahnn says:

Whatever this is, please make it go away. That music will be the soundtrack to my nightmares for decades.

• dreadguacamole says:

Not sure if it’s meant to be a joke, but that looks like it’s 20 year old because it is. It’s from an old, unfinished game from Dreamforge based on the same license.
      I remember this because I was really excited about it once upon a time – Dreamforge’s record was a bit spotty, but they made some great games.

• try2bcool69 says:

Fake news.

3. Shuck says:

Werewolf: the Cycling? (Let’s hope so!)

Lars Westergren says:

Nice. I think Geist: The Sin Eaters could be a great setting for an RPG too.

5. Someoldguy says:

I loved Werewolf the Apocalypse pen and paper game much more than Vampire. I do hope the game will stick to its core theme of staying hidden and not just be an excuse to have non-stop big dog combat. The trailer for Call of Cthulhu is at least promising in that regard because it shows they’re trying to capture the essence even if some of the graphics look a bit cack. Lets face it, almost all the great RPGs have had substandard graphics for their day.

Captain Narol says:

Please make it good. Please make it good. Please make it good !!!

You know you can, Cyanide. If Paradox and White Wolf trust you, I do too.

7. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

I was the GM of a Werewolf game for about a year, it’s pretty fun. A bit more combat oriented than Vampires, with a lot of spiritism, a touch of Neil Gaiman and an ecologist theme. And werewolves that can draw power from the spirits of the modern civilization and grow guns for arms and cameras for eyes.
    I don’t know the new World of Darkness version, though.

Lars Westergren says:

New WoD Werewolf is really good actually, it’s probably my favorite of the New WoD game settings. The eco-warrior theme has been dropped, so like with Vampire the meta-plot is less directed and controlled. In its place is an alien spirit world hungry for human sensations and souls, so werewolves are still fighters of “balance”. Without access to the spirit world the material world becomes static and soul dead. But rampaging spirits must be prevented from crossing the barrier, so the barrier must not be worn too thin.

Like with the weaver and the wyrm, there are two opposing natural forces. Rat spirits gnaw on the veil between worlds, they can be human-rat hybrids, possessed humans, or even humans hollowed out from within inhabited by glistening rat swarms. And in the other end we have arachnid weavers, who generally don’t fill the whole host body but instead crawl into ears of sleeping humans and consume the brain, growing until they are filling the skull. There are some great antagonists in the sourcebooks.

Like with most new WoD settings, there is more emphasis on political organizations at character creation, and less on having a fairly strict stereotype personality assigned to you from your supernatural tribe/bloodline/race, which gives more freedom to create unique characters.

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Huh, that’s pretty neat. The opponents you described remind me a bit of the Shadowrun insect spirits, one of the coolest things in that setting.

I tried to have my players roleplay the eco-warrior theme a bit by creating a story about a bored Ventrue encroaching their ancestral lands. It was supposed to be basically a furry version of Chinatown.
        It lasted until the players realized their avatars were three meters tall and had really big claws. We had a lot of fun and I learned an important lesson: ultraviolence is a pretty solid response to wild capitalism.

Qazinsky says:

“crawl into ears of sleeping humans and consume the brain, growing until they are filling the skull.”

It’s ok, I was kind of done with that whole sleeping thing anyway…

• maninahat says:

Changeling is my favourite, though probably really hard to design from a videogame standpoint (not least because there is far less emphasis on killing people). Plus it probably lacks broad appeal; “Hey, want to play as a Pooka fairy?”

Lars Westergren says:

“No, I would hate that”

Lars Westergren says:

“Pookas must always tell the truth, by the way, and I am not RPing one now.”