Deus Ex: Criminal Past DLC sends Jensen to jail

Your mate Adam Jensen is telling a story to his psychologist in the latest DLC for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [official site] – a flashback episode, if you will. He’s telling her all about the time he went undercover in a maximum security prison for augmented people and how that made him feel. But this being Adam, the paranoid wreck with conspiracy theories coming out of his robot orifices, he’s likely exaggerated for the shrink’s sake. He probably just got sent to the drunk tank for wandering into a clothes shop and smashing all the mirrors again.

But if you prefer Adam’s version of the story, with its guns, electric fences, tough-looking inmates and guard brutality, then you can check this trailer for a vision of how he remembers the traumatic “mission”.

“I was on an undercover operation” is the same line I use to explain all my arrests. But Jensen really goes for it. He says he was there to get information from another undercover agent who has “gone dark” and that, by the end of the ordeal, he needed to “confront a darker side to his role before the day is done.”

This is the second story DLC for the game – the first was System Rift, which reunited you with world’s grumpiest IT support Frank Pritchard to pull off some heist capers. It’s out now for anyone who can stand to listen to another one of Adam’s rants about the Freemasons.

From this site

1. Antongranis says:

I hope they release a complete edition at some point.

2. Bostec says:

Do you think in the showers its not soap but WD40?

3. TimePointFive says:

yaaaawn

4. Turkey says:

This looks way more compelling than anything I’ve seen of the actual game.

5. Solidstate89 says:

I very much enjoyed Mankind Divided, so I’m looking forward to heading back in.

My only problem with what I saw, was the fact I’m telling that double-agent motherfucker of a psychologist anything at all.

6. Banks says:

If the rumors are true, this is the last of Deus Ex we will ever get.

Such a shame Mankind Divided was so bland.

7. Louis Mayall says:

This game looked so gorgeous and fun and I loved the last one but please can we have a protagonist who’s like good? Or interesting? Or anything remotely approaching a relatable human being? Also how about a voice that sounds like, y’know, a voice? Not some gravel falling down a hill.

Gus the Crocodile says:

Yeah it kinda baffles me the degree to which they made Jensen so central. He’s just not interesting in any way.

Not that DX protagonists ever really have been, of course, but HR/MD seem to be trying to be less cartoony than the first two games, and that doesn’t do Mr Cardboard any favours.

• NewMaxx says:

While I agree that we could have a better protagonist I fully disagree with your opinion on the voice. If you recall the original Deus Ex, the voice was intentionally made to be campy. The entire game was supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek take on modern science-fiction: Men In Black, Area 51/aliens, tons of tropes and cliches, etc. The main character’s voice was purposefully made to sound like a “cool” agent – down to his numerous legendary one-liners. I feel Jensen’s voice is perfectly in the spirit of being borderline ridiculous/exaggerated in that universe.

• Frosty_2.0 says:

I don’t think Deus Ex’s VO was intended to be camp but I do remember interviews where they said JC’s voice was intentionally performed more neutral & monotone because they thought it would allow players to project themselves onto the character a bit more (at the time).

8. Sic says:

Oh, lord, release the full version already.

I’m sure it’s great, but being that it’s an Ubisoft title, I see no reason for buying it until they’ve released everything that was supposed to be included at release.

Judging by how fast it started going on sale, I’m probably not the only one.

Will Ubisoft ever learn?

Gus the Crocodile says:

It’s Square-Enix, yeah?

Though I’m sure Ubisoft are salivating over Jensen’s augmented vision and soft-landing energy ball. “We gotta get that franchise, this guy is perfectly suited to surveying the landscape from a tower and then jumping off it”.

9. dorobo says:

You think they gonna take all his toys away? :)) silly jailers.

Comment on this story