Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ unwraps mod Booster Pack

Rad roguelikelike The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ [official site] has launched its first ‘Booster Pack’, a collection of player-made mods now made official and rolled into the game. The first batch plucked from the Steam Workshop (and slightly tweaked) are mostly new items and trinkets, along with odds and ends like extra hairstyles for Eden and optional charge bars for Brimstone attacks. They’re simply part of Isaac now, nothing to download separately or activate, appearing in all parts of Isaac. This is only the start, as new Booster Packs are due to follow “monthly(ish)”.

The items don’t look game-breakingly exciting but there are solid, interesting items in there, which I look forward to finding. For details on all the mods of Booster Pack #1, hit the unofficial patch notes collected on the Isaac wiki. The additions are mostly made by players but Isaaclord Edmund McMillen has snuck in a new one of his own and one he made with Florian Himsl, the chap with whom he co-developed the Flash version of Isaac.

Last night’s patch fixed a few nonfunctional item synergies with Epic Fetus too. It does also bring bad, but not surprising news, for the Crooked Penny: “Fixed the bug where you could use a Crooked Penny to duplicate an empty item pedestal.” Sure, a four-charge item offering a 50% chance to spawn a new item was wildly overpowered but… I will miss it.

What’s next for Booster Packs? McMillen explained in a blog post what he’s looking for next:

Challenges!!!! I really wanna add fan challenges with achievements and unlockable items in the next boosters, ideally I’d like at least one each time… but I’ll take what I can get.
Challenges should do something totally new, they should challenge the player and force them to play the game differently than normal, don’t just put a few items on the player, we have more than enough of those.

Enemies / Bosses!!!! just try to stay on theme and ill do what i can to balance and add them in.

Angel Room items!!!! I know people have issue with the Angel Rooms and I have a few ideas on how to push them up a tad… but I’d like some new items to throw in there as well, thats where you come in…

I’m also up for whatever oddball ideas you guys have, I’ve seen some impressive stuff out there, so please continue!

How are y’all getting on with Afterbirth+ these days? I know it seemed less impressive for launching so soon after the astonishing Antibirth mod but Afterbirth+ has rolled smoothly into Isaac for me. More of the same is fine for me when Isaac is so great. I’m still happily doing the Daily Run every day. And still glaring at the Speed! and Ultra Hard challenges keeping me from 1000000% completion. And I’m excited to see what future Booster Packs bring.

From this site

1. stringerdell says:

Great game. The only thing I dislike about afterbirth+ is the enemy spawning portals but its not a deal breaker for me.

2. maenckman says:

I managed to do the challenges, but how I am supposed to defeat Delirium with the Lost is beyond me…

• buschap says:

Play as the Lost for fun and you will eventually get “the run”. For me it was (mainly) Dead Cat (to allow some mistakes), Gnawed Leaf, and Succubus.

Since Succubus bounces around, it does better than Daddy Long Legs and the like for hitting things.

• Dezmiatu says:

So many close calls until I finally got that one about a week ago. My strategy was to hold on to the d4 until I made it to The Void, where upon I’d reroll until I got the gnawed leaf.

This is a bit of a crapshoot because several times I shot myself in the foot by dying and unwittingly resurrecting with Lazarus or Judas’s shadow, throwing out the run. I’d waste time frantically praying a missing poster would spawn to correct the error. Of course, it never would, nor would a fortune teller machine spit one out for me.

In fact, when I was finally successful, I did have the poster to reobtain Lost status in the Void. Where upon I cheesed to success by stoning up and waiting it out. But after a dozen valid attempts to fight Delirium, only to have been cheesed by its teleporting, I didn’t feel guilty in the least.

• maenckman says:

I didn’t think of sticking to the D4, will definitely try that!

3. Rinox says:

I imagine that most strategies involve the Gnawed Leaf + companions and/or contact damage items like Mom’s Knife. I never got there though.

• Rinox says:

Was a response to Maenckman..

• maenckman says:

True. Though i remember watching a Northernlion run where he manages to do it the “normal” way…

4. welverin says:

“And still glaring at the Speed! and Ultra Hard challenges keeping me from 1000000% completion.”

It’s funny that you still haven’t gotten those and yet my friend who’s about as obsessed with the game as you has gotten them and yet has no where near your overall completion percentage.

• Alice O'Connor says:

I don’t find those challenges fun so, when I do go for them, I’ll have a few tries then get annoyed and stop. Almost everything else comes simply by playing a lot of Isaac.

5. Viral Frog says:

I miss playing Binding of Isaac. This makes me want to play again. Too bad it’s completely broken on my PC. Le sigh.

6. finly says:

I wish they had a release date for Afterbirth+ in the UK. It’s been out in the US for weeks!