DayZ creator announces space station sim Stationeers

DayZ creator Dean Hall has announced Stationeers, a game about constructing and operating a space station on your tod or with chums. No, don’t confuse this with Ion, his effectively-cancelled space sim. Stationeers promises complex simulation of station workings, and it’s encouraging that Hall cites the phenomenal (and phenomenally complex) Space Station 13 as an influence. It’s due to hit early access “soon” but is playable at EGX Rezzed so I assume some of the RPS rabble we sent to That London will swing by for a bash at some point.

Eurogamer relay this blurb:

“Inspired by the beloved Space Station 13, Stationeers puts you in control of the construction and management of a space station either by yourself in single-player, or online with your friends. Complex systems around atmospherics, power generation, medical, agriculture, food, and gravity require your thought and management at all times.”

But what will it do with that simulation? What makes SS13 truly interesting to me is the storytelling and roleplaying bits built up around its simulation, the odd roles and secret missions players can have and how those interact with the simulation. I’m only going off a teensy blurb and a couple of screenshots, mind. And building and running a station could be a lark in itself with plenty of accidents and emergent tomfoolery.

And yup, this will be an early access game. “I seriously thought after DayZ I wouldn’t do Early Access again,” Hall told EG.

“But I talked a lot with Tynan Sylvester from RimWorld and Felipe who made Kerbal Space Program, and I realised [KSP] would be totally different if it was made entirely behind closed doors. And I think a lot of my ideas are terrible, so the community are part of filtering that.

“If you look at the early days of the [DayZ] mod, that’s what we want to replicate.”

Note that is the DayZ mod specifically he’s pointing out, not the commercial remake Bohemia Interactive are still working away on. The mod’s development moved quickly and often clumsily but its energy was interesting.

A Steam page with more information on Stationeers should be here but isn’t yet. This is a relatively small project for RocketWerkz, with six of their forty-odd people working on it. They’re a busy lot.

From this site

Harlander says:

Attempts to recreate Space Station 13 in other media appear to be cursed, which is a shame, because I’d love to play something like it without the worst controls in the history of human interface design.

• Junkmail says:

Barotrauma is promising thanks to its smaller scale.

I think a lot of these games might miss part of what makes SS13 so special in that it’s basically a disempowerment fantasy. It’s not about being gruff space hero man, it’s about being Doctor who gets stabbed #7. You have to capture the small moments of drama on the station, the interpersonal communication, as well as the big explodey world ending bits.

2. Lurid says:

So is “neer” the new suffix game names will have now? Instead of simulator?

Farmineer. Busineer. Goatineer. I can dig it.

3. Eraysor says:

Makes me want to go play Startopia…

• Raoul Duke says:

What a great game – one of the few post-Bullfrog games to capture their magic IMHO. From memory, it got a bit predictable once you unlocked all of the building types, though.

4. Morcane says:

Dean Hall? kbye

Captain Narol says:

I appreciate his lucidity :

“And I think a lot of my ideas are terrible, so the community are part of filtering that.”

MajorLag says:

Any creator who doesn’t think a lot of their ideas are terrible is either genuinely the greatest creative mind ever or just has no taste.

• April March says:

I honestly doubt someone could be the greatest creative mind ever if they didn’t think most of their ideas were terrible.

6. Rao Dao Zao says:

Is it just me that pronounces it “Day-Zed”?

• Sian says:

No, I do that too. Partly because that’s how I’ve learned to pronounce that letter, partly because calling a game like that “Daisy” just feels wrong.

7. tehosiris says:

Hey look, it’s the quarterly not-a-game-game in early access by Dean Hall.
    Avoid at all costs.

8. yer taffin me says:

That reminds me, what’s Derek Smart doing these dayz?
    BTW, I like D.S. I have no opinion on D.H. (don’t play dayZ) :)

• grimdanfango says:

Haha, probably still doing what he’s always done – trawling the internet for any comment threads that summon him by mentioning his name three times, and then going “Alpha male” on their asses :-)

• ColonelFlanders says:

Seriously it’s friggin uncanny how quick he is at locating all the shitty publicity he gets. He must have some kind of bit thing to do it for him. Either that or he has way too much time on his hands.

• BockoPower says:

Few weeks ago he was still deep in bashing Star Citizen in any possible way he could find. Not that I don’t agree with some things about SC being too shady recently but DS seems to have some real mental issues when something gets in his mark.

9. Menthalion says:

Next Up: “Dean Hall’s Cancelleers”. Which begs the question if he’s the Drake of Game Development, or Drake is the Dean Hall of R&B.

10. Neurotic says:

This reminds me, I need to update the fan patch for Spacebase DF9.

11. dylan says:

SS13 was derivative of the far superior Byond game ‘CowRP’.

12. xyzzy frobozz says:

Spacebase DH-9

13. KastaRules says:

Yeah right. I find it hard to believe it will ever come out.

MOOncalF says:

So DayZ becomes this undead rotter that DH sneaks around the edges of, scavenging for parts to complete his new vehicle…

15. JujceBox says:

S it take it as, Dean is ditching the game that he made everyone pay tons of valuable, lovable money tp own, to make ANOTHER space sim. Jesus christ… Dean, you should work on the game that you started, and actually finish it.

16. statistx says:

I don’t know, but didn’t Dean Hall basically abandon all of his projects at one point in history?

17. Manx79 says:

thanks for the heads up, now i know NOT to touch this pile either, made an account just to push the awareness along to a couple of friends :D

18. Ch0ke says:

I’d rather shit in my hands and clap than support another early access game from this fellow.

Comment on this story