Martian survive ’em up Rokh hitting early access in May

I wanna rokh! (Rokh!) I want to Rokh! (Rokh!)

Martian crafty survival sandbox Rokh [official site] is coming to early access (of course) on May 16th. Sure, you’ve crafted and built in survival sandboxes before. Okay, you’ve done it in space too. And sure, you have even done it on Mars. But have you crafted and built in a Martian survival sandbox whose look is overseen by Viktor Antonov, the artist behind the wonderful looks of Half-Life 2 and Dishonored? Ah! Well, you’ll want Rokh for that. Watching a new trailer I don’t get a feel for the intricacies that can make two similar-seeming games be quite different, but I do like its Mars.

I especially like the deep landscape shots with pipes, satellite dishes, and other sci-fi cruft dotted about. Good smashbits. Rokh’s story says that we’re fleeing a dying Earth, only to find the earlier Martian colonies are mysteriously ruined so we have to start over (and maybe poke into what happened here).

Beyond that, sure, hit minerals with a pickaxe, lay down blocks (or tiles, here) to make buildings, watch your many needs gauges, and… that’s a crafty survival sandbox game all right. One with vehicles and dust storms and meteorite showers and nice sci-fi smashbits, mind.

It’ll have multiplayer and singleplayer, as is the way.

Rokh is coming to Steam Early Access on May 16th. Nvizzio Creations and Darewise Entertainment say they expect to launch Rokh in full within a year. They haven’t confirmed a price yet, but do say they’re aiming for less than $30.

Antonov isn’t the only one making this, of course. Thief and Looking Glass alumnus Randy Smith is on it too, along with other folks from fancy that there fancy AAA development you get nowadays.

From this site

1. VFRHawk says:

“flying a dying Earth”

Sounds fun! Where do we get to take it? :)

2. Hyena Grin says:

Welp, this is right up my alley. I’m a sucker for building/survival games, and I’m a sucker for hard sci-fi, and I’m a sucker for planetary colonization, so this ticks a lot of boxes.

The pedigree of the team is strangely good? At least at a glance? And none of them are coming from a studio that has, like… done this sort of thing before, as far as I’m aware. Going by a cursory glance and memory, at least.

It’s like a bunch of people who have worked on fabulously successful games got together and said, ‘I’m bored. Hey I know, let’s quit our jobs and make a survival game, I hear those are doing well lately!’

I feel like we may already be past the crest of the hill on survival games. Maybe. I suppose we will see.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Everyone is yet noone has found the holy grail yet. There are half a dozen promising games in early access now but clearly far from being finished.

3. Tortellini says:

Looking great for sure. Dunno if im gonna buy tho during EA again, got a few of em sci fi survivals on my account. One can only pick a certain amount of materials per day :O

4. Unclepauly says:

So is this like Take on Mars, but actually done well?

5. Leonick says:

Will keep an eye on it, that’s for sure.

The buildings look weird built with those small tiles though (maybe they should join together or not have the borders) and I really have to question swinging a pick axe around on Mars, that does not seem like a very good idea at all. How about a drill maybe?

6. FlyingIndo says:

Lets hope it’s a better start then Osiris New Dawn… Bought that one yesterday and it was unplayable on EU servers. Those games are like 99% the same..

7. Chaoslord AJ says:

I find myself wishing it had a sledgehammer and fully destructible buildings.