Could someone remake my favourite 90s games please?

With Full Throttle’s remastering out yesterday, it sets me off to thinking about what games I’d really like to see receive a similar treatment. It’s pretty easy to list off a bunch of other LucasArts adventures, because I would ADORE to see the wonderful The Dig in big pretties, or have Sam & Max in gorgeous clear stereo sound. (Imagine the songs without the hissing!) But that was a decade packed with games I loved that I know I’ll never play again, because I can’t be arsed fighting with DOSBox and ancient controls to play in a small corner of my screen.

The first game that comes to mind is Stonekeep. It’s out on GOG, Steam, and so on, and it’s definitely playable. But imagine if it were playable. Imagine if it were like booting up Legend Of Grimrock. I’d be exploring without fighting against it. What a treat.

Or there’s Spycraft: The Great Game. Oddly enough that was released on Steam this week, but it’s still far too clumsy to get on with now. I keep trying – I once went back to it before it was on GOG and the like by rigging up my PC to a time machine. I’ve tried very hard. Imagine the game in swishy modern windows, improved video, less confusing tools. Yes please.

I find that nostalgia creeps in, making me want to see prettied up versions of games that perhaps weren’t the greatest. You could more sensibly argue that Syndicate or Sim City 2000 might be first on the list, but I find myself wanting a reworking of Betrayal At Krondor. More for the time of my life it represents, the incredibly happy memories I have of playing it with my late father. But it looks like such crap now.

Or Realms Of The Haunting. Was that rubbish? I remember it was terrifying, but when I’ve played it more recently I can’t feel the fear for the textures.

But I’m much more interested to know your suggestions, human reader. What are the games that you want to see not re-released, not followed up, but just remade, shot-for-shot, in prettier graphics with crisper sound?

From this site

Drib says:

The 90s is full of nostalgia.

Frankly it’s also full of good games, most of which are sort of a pain in the ass to play now. Usually the UI ages the most.

I’d like a remake of Fallout 1 and 2. Not likely I know, but a proper remake with a more decent UI. Even just Planescape Torment EE-style would be fine really.

I also miss silly, easy-to-play flight combat sims from that era. I haven’t seen one of those in a while, though granted I haven’t really looked.

Nauallis says:

I’d go for remake/remastery of FO1&2. I missed that bus during its heyday; I try to play either of those now and the UI is infuriatingly bad, mostly because it’s old and the resolutions are so small. I believe it when other people say those are favorite games, but I haven’t been able to get into them.

syllopsium says:

I’d be dreadful and change the tactical but incredibly slow combat in Fallout 1 and 2. Sometimes it’s better to take combat slowly, and other times I just want it to be over.

• Marclev says:

Remake of Fallout

There are high res mods available and a fan made patch that fixes the most glaring bugs in Fallout 2. They let you play the game in modern resolutions. It’s been a few years since I replayed them but the game-play has held up surprisingly well.

• TΛPETRVE says:

I’ve been absolutely in love with late 2015’s Underraoil, which is a game that somehow managed to feel like an authentic 90s CRPG experience (seriously, it may as well have been some lost, obscure MicroProse production someone found a gold copy of in a garage sale, and released it on the internet), quirks and all, but have just the right amount of accomodations to be playable in this day and age.

• jeremyalexander says:

Remakes of Fallout 1 and 2 would be fun. I like both Bethesda and Black Isles versions of Fallout, but I do miss the isometric perspective. One thing I thought would have been really cool is for Bethesda to get the east coast for their new first person Fallouts, then have Obsidian make modern isometric Fallouts that take place on the west coast and have Zenimax do a Fallout Online that took place in Texas and the surrounding areas.

• Juan Carlo says:

Yeah, lots of 90s games had terrible UI that hasn’t aged well, but that was an inevitable by product of what was going on at the time. What makes the 90s my favorite decade for gaming was that there was a sudden and very dramatic increase in technology, especially at the end of the decade when dedicated GPU’s came onto the scene. And that technology would increase exponentially on a yearly basis (as a side note, I still remember having to upgrade my PC every 2 years, whereas from about 2008 to just last year I had the same PC and could run almost everything). The magical thing about that, though, was that suddenly game designers were presented with all of these millions of new possibilities enabled by technology, yet they didn’t have an existing blue print for what to do with it. Which lead to lots of atrocious UI and wonnky gameplay at times, but it also lead to lots of weird experiments in gameplay, new ideas, and risk taking that you don’t see much of today.

Lots of people have argued that Half-Life 1 was the apotheosis of 90s FPS’s, for example. And it was in many ways as it was a great game. But it also ossified the conventions of what was still a nebulous genre with lots of potential in a way that I think hurt FPS in the decade following (most FPSs in the 2000s followed Half-Life’s formula with no innovation). And I think you can find examples of that in most genres in the 90s: I.E. the innovation that was going on throughout the decade being stiffled when watershed games in each genre were released that made huge leaps forward, but were so huge that they ended up solidifying their genres into a rote formula. So, ironically, the ultimate successes of the 90s ended up being the reason why gaming arguably sucked so badly in the 2000s (and I do see the 2000s as a dark period for gaming).

I don’t think it was until the indie boom of the late 2000s that gaming started to undo the formulas set in the 90s. So I actually think we are, once again, in an exciting time for gaming. Still, I don’t think the indie movement has produced anything as great as some of the 90s classics.

• Darloth says:

Have you tried Sky Rogue? It’s got just enough sim (a tiny smidge thereof) to be fun while remaining mostly an arcade flight experience. Graphics are pretty retro but they function just fine.

• Baines says:

Sky Rogue is indeed arcade-ish fun, right up until the terrible boss fight. It is a shame that the dev doesn’t appear to see any problem with just how all around bad that boss battle is.

subdog says:

Magic Carpet was a series that I always thought looked amazing, but I never got around to it in its day. It’s one of those GOG sale purchases that lasted about 5 minutes before uninstalling. Insane controls and unparsable graphics.

I’d love to see the old Tex Murphy games updated to be a bit less clunky and with higher res videos. They’re not really unplayable now, but a little modernization would be nice.

System Shock is getting lots of love lately, but I’d like to see the old Underworlds get some OpenGL + WASD improvements.

edit: ooh and Myth!

Drib says:

Oh man, Magic Carpet. That game looked AMAZING on release. Now, uh. A different kind of amazing.

But yeah, it was a neat idea. 3d terrain deformation? Free flight? Flinging fireballs at the hapless weirdos below?

I think a remake of that might be a good indie game project, honestly.

tigerfort says:

Definitely another vote for Magic Carpet. I’d love to see the original Dungeon Keeper prettied up for modern times, too. And Lemmings. Huge intricately detailed adorable idiots getting themselves killed in bizarre and absurd ways.

• Dinges says:

War for the Overworld is pretty much this (Tho lacking in some crucial details, like creature habits, their abilities and design. I did enjoy the usage of rooms (manually interacting with rooms), but sorely missing the traps from DK2).

There’s also a version of DK1 encapsulated in a single DLL file (for some reason), but updated with higher resolution artwork and effects. Check link to keeper.lubiki.pl, requires a copy of the original for some files. Works pretty damn well and it’s still fun to play.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

That game had so many new ideas which were never followed up on. Destructible terrain, endless rolled up map, flying on a carpet. Only Sacrifice came somewhere close.

• pepe says:

I know of at least two attempts: mine (search from ‘Broomsticks Magic Carpet remake’ on YouTube) and one from ranmantaru (‘Arcane Worlds’).
        It was my first attempt at game development. Scope was a bit too much for me to handle…

• Hieronymusgoa says:

Same here. I read the article and was like MAGIC CARPET 2!!!

And yeah, Dungeon Keeper, but that is what everyone thinks

Qazinsky says:

I am with subdog up there ^ on the Underworld with WASD. I am hoping the new Underworld will be good, but the original one had a nice atmosphere, so just prettying it up a bit and with better controls, yes please.

I also want a remake of Might and Magic 8. I am sorry, Might and Magic should not be turnbased only and on a grid, it should be freeform running about, switching between turnbased or real time depending on what you need and kiting too difficult enemies with arrows and spells while hoping you don’t run back first into something even bigger and Vampire and Dark elf should be classes, damnit!

Andy_Panthro says:

All of the Ultimas really would be nice. I was always surprised that with The Elder Scrolls doing so well, EA never considered remaking the Ultimas. I dunno if Richard Garriott still owns some of the IP, especially since he made more than one character based on himself (and is making his Avatar MMOish game).

subdog says:

Let me preface this by saying I’m an old-timey Ultima fan. But I don’t see them as great targets for a remake, except maybe 8 & 9 (and why bother).

7 is already perfect, and any overhaul to its beautiful graphics would be like painting over the Mona Lisa. 6 could maybe use some updating, but Nuvie does a decent enough job.

Anything before that has an inherent primitiveness that wouldn’t work with major updates. The Dungeon Siege U5 overhaul tried to turn the game into something it never was in the first place, and I think others would follow suit.

Instead of an update or overhaul, I’d much rather see a lovingly crafted indie-pixelart jam “inspired” by the Ultimas. “Retro” platformers and gimmicky pixelated roguelikes are a dime a dozen, so why can’t we get some good tile-based retro CRPG’s along those lines?

• SoundDust says:

“Retro” platformers and gimmicky pixelated roguelikes are a dime a dozen, so why can’t we get some good tile-based retro CRPG’s along those lines?”

Yes, this. With Ultima being one of the most famous CRPG franchises, it’s surprising that style isn’t “refined” by devs these days.

• jeremyalexander says:

I’m as old school as an Ultima fan can get, but you have to be kidding about Ultima 7 being perfect. That’s pure nostalgia goggles. Ultima 1-5 are laughably simple, Ultima 6 is a technical mess, Ultima 7 is as simple as they come storywise and gameplay wise, and as you stated, 8 and 9 are better off dead, although I did like Ultima 9 significantly more than most. I recently went back and played through all of them and to see the series get a reboot from a talented studio like InXile or Obsidian would be fantastic, but as is, they weren’t worth my time and it breaks my heart to say that. I lived and breathed that series as a kid. The stories for 4,5, and 6 were great concepts, but the gameplay just wasn’t there. Npc’s had a few lines of dialogue, combat and spellcasting were atrocious, and there was little point to the level of item interactivity because they almost never came up with something clever to do with it. Okay, I can bake a pie, and weave my own shirt, but why?

• Emperor Norton I says:

Why, so you can feed your party entirely on butter than you harvested for free, obviously.

U1 to U4 were rather sparse on dialog, but U5 and U6? Really? There were a lot of people in U5, doing a lot of things, and they were all pretty interesting. And by simple, I hope you mean mechanically simple, because the dungeons in U4 and, especially, U5 were absolutely brutal.

subdog says:

That’s kind of my point. Remaking 1-5 with modern writing would turn them into completely different games. It would be like remaking Pac Man or Tetris. The world certainly doesn’t need inXile/Obsidian’s darkly realistic take on Sherry the Mouse.

But I stand by U7 being perfect, especially with Exult. Its pixelart graphics are still utterly gorgeous, the detail of its open world hasn’t been topped, its UI remains a high water mark for usability and elegance, and its story is nicely woven into that explorable world. Combat sucks, sure, but that was never the point. Maybe make the font a little more readable and that’s it.

• wwarnick says:

I agree with you about Ultima 7. By far one of the best RPGs I’ve ever played. Too bad none of the sequels (even Serpent Isle) could match it.

Rather than a remake or even a remaster, I’d just like a version that runs without dosbox or exult, maybe with support for higher resolutions, but nothing else.

• welverin says:

Throw the Wing Commander games in with the Ultimas and I’m good. Though I suppose the X-wing series would be good as well.

N'Al says:

Incubation!

• Bernardo says:

I play Incubation all the time, and I love it. It could use a graphical overhaul, but it’s not that bad, and the UI is as it was, highly original and perfect. Compared to other games from my past (even the others from the Battle Isle series), this one has aged surprisingly well.

• xcopy says:

Holy mackerel! And I thought I was the only one who liked this game.
      Somehow I like this blocky 3d-graphic, but a remake would be really nice.

• Kreeth says:

Fantastic game. The GOG version still graces my HD although I can pretty much sleepwalk the campaign by now. The expansion I haven’t played as much though. I remember it mainly as “bastard hard”

johannsebastianbach says:

I honestly don’t think I could play Realms of the Haunting without seriously going insane according to this excellent video review/retrospective by the amazing Ross Scott: link to youtube.com
    (You should watch it.)

Nauallis says:

Somebody remade Master of Orion 1/2, but apparently it was basically rubbish. For that I am thankful to GoG.

• Unclepauly says:

I’ve heard it was remade like 20 times with a new skin. I know what you mean though heh

• Jay Load says:

Hah!

Every time a new 4X is announced and the Devs invariably say they want to “bring back/capture the Magic of MOO2” I feel like stabbing myself in the eyes. I’ve played MOO and it was boring. The best 4X experiences I’ve had are the ones that deviated from the MOO mold, like Sword of the Stars or Ascendancy. Such a shame it’s seen as such a ‘masterpiece’. At this point I think it’s needlessly holding everyone back.

Andy_Panthro says:

Alone in the Dark. It’s just a big Lovecraftian haunted house, with some wonderfully atmospheric music. The biggest issue is updating the monster design (and translating everything to modern 3D), the rest could remain more-or-less the same.

I’d also suggest Jagged Alliance 2 (it was 1999, it still counts!), but it’s been tried a few times and for whatever reason nobody has got it right yet. (I am currently playing JA2 with the amazing 1.13 mod)

Also: Crusader: No Remorse/Regret! I remember it being really good and I have it on GOG.com but I also am aware that if I actually played it again I’d probably get really annoyed at the controls and be upset.

I was also going to add Anachronox, but it’s not a 90s game. But it should still get a remake anyway.

• Snargelfargen says:

Yeah Jagged Alliance 2 needs some love! None of the remakes were close to the original.

• caff says:

Wow Jagged Alliance 2 would be incredible. I just can’t see it being done – it was such a vast, complex game with so many play styles possible.

• SoundDust says:

Yes, Jagged Alliance still needs a proper comeback. I’d settle for an XCOM with characters.

• Bernardo says:

Oh yeah, Crusader. I couldn’t afford it at the time, but wanted to soo much. I looked so cool. Tried it now, and the controls alone make me furious. The setting/story also somehow seemed cooler as a kid, but that’s no surprise…

• floogles says:

Remake of crusader games would be awesome. I’m re-playing No Regret at the moment, and I think it still holds up very well. I’ve played it so many times though that I’m used to the problems with the controls and just don’t notice them anymore.

So many secrets and interesting situations in the games.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Crusader is for sure a game that could use some freshening up. Brigador is a very good modern version but would still like to see some in building action. The weapons in those games are brutal.

I can remember my 12 year old brain being blown away by the fact that I recognized some of the actors in it.

• jezcentral says:

There was a Microprose game called The Legacy, which was trying to ride on Alone In The Dark’s coat-tails despite being Lovecraftian rather than Poe. That’s my pick.

syllopsium says:

Definitely Ultima Underworld. Worlds of Ultima too, despite the retro PCs I’ve never really played them as they tend to run too fast. They’d need a proper remake though, the interface is too old for modern gamers.

Also, Tie Fighter, the original version with iMuse music. I have it working here on a retro PC and it’s horrendous to get running.

Knights of the Old Republic. Don’t have to change it much, just make it 3D monitor compatible.

Jedi Knight. Modern high res textures and lighting, with a light sabre that is a light source.

An updated Privateer would be pretty cool too..

• Snargelfargen says:

I just tried replaying Kotor and a lot of the dialogue hasn’t held up well at all. It was pioneering for its time, and as a proto-Bioware game, but it’s painful going back and seeing how cheesy some of the lines are, especially in the beginning. A Kotor redux could do with a bit of copy-editing to really shine.

Not that games writing is excellent nowadays…

• Marclev says:

Well it is a game based on a franchise that had one actor telling the director “You can write this shit, but you can’t say it”.

Bad dialogue seems keeping with the source material to me!

syllopsium says:

I played it for the first time only a few years ago. It probably indicates how many bad RPGs/films I’ve seen that I didn’t think it was that bad!

OK, there were several moments where I wasn’t happy with all the choices available but that’s pretty standard

particlese says:

There’s a game which has given me a hankerin’ for the original Morrowind recently. I understand the original is still playable for those like me who don’t need their old games tarted up with the shader of the week, and the original music is of course perfectly playable. I may break out the old CDs this weekend.

Still, even though I don’t mind antiquated graphics and fiddliness one bit (outright instability’s another matter), man could I go for a pretty, even better sounding, respectful, stable remake of One Must Fall 2097. Doesn’t even need online multiplayer!

Belial says:

Lands of lore 3 please! But knowing its Westwood/EA. Very unlikely… :(

Bozzley says:

Freelancer, please (with some work thrown in to get multiplayer running properly again).

Alpha1Dash1 says:

Two that I would love to see are Populous & Captive. After xcom’s successful reboot (they were all contemporaries on the Amiga), I was really hopeful we’d see more games get the same treatment. But perhaps there is no market except for old gits like me!

• CoryHalavan says:

For Populous you might want to look up a game called Reprisal Universe on steam and GOG. There is a free version on there website just call Reprisal.

• RaymondQSmuckles says:

Thanks for the heads up on Reprisal Universe. I logged in to suggest Populous and see I’ve been beaten to the posting punch.

• Menthalion says:

Ye gods, why does it have to be low res pixel graphics again ? There’s no (suggested) details going on at all, so why not make it higher res / low poly art ?

13. fuggles says:

Terra Nova. And swiv. Yes.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Terra Nova doesn’t even NEED a remake – it’s available on GOG and runs fine. I hear some people complain about the control scheme but I had no trouble re-adjusting to it, and the gameplay still hasn’t really been bettered at what it does.

• Maritz says:

As long as they don’t mess with the SWIV opening theme music.

14. Werthead says:

#1 Hostile Waters
    #2 Hostile Waters
    #3 Hostile Waters

(2001 so maybe a little late, but to hell with it)

I was going to say Freespace 2, but thanks to modders it pretty much already has been remastered and is absolutely great. Ground Control could also do with a minor spruce up, but it still looks pretty amazing. Anachronox needs both a remake and the much-planned sequel.

For actual 1990s games, my #1 choice would be SHOGO: Mobile Armoured Division, followed by Syndicate (Satellite Reign is very good but not quite a remake of Syndicate), Myth 2: Soulblighter, Shadow of the Horned Rat and MechWarrior 2. Maybe Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. Fallout 1 and 2 would be cool as well. Possibly Hired Guns, Eye of the Beholder (spruced up Legends of Grimrock style, not turned into a FPS or anything) and Loom as well.

I’m pretty lucky in that most of my favourite games from that time period either have been remade or are being remade: Final Fantasy VII, StarCraft, Half-Life, the Infinity Engine games and Homeworld. Some of them still play pretty well as they were, like the X-Wing games.

• gunrodent says:

This! Not only was it a chip off the old Carrier Command block. It was also one of the rare Sci-fi games that was based on an UTOPIAN future! I could need some utopian cheering up these days with whats going on.

• fredcadete says:

Exactly, Hostile Waters!

And to be honest, Anachronox needed a remake the moment it came out…

• ExParrot_1337 says:

The X-Wing and Tie Fighter games need to be remade properly. They were amazing story-based games with mind-blowing graphics back in the day. You *can* get them on GoG and they still work, but they’re decidedly disappointing without nostalgia goggles on now.

But imagine strafing a Star Destroyer done out in the detail available from a modern engine. I … I’ll be in my bunk.

15. giovanni says:

Written by Warren Ellis! Didn’t know that!

16. K_Sezegedin says:

As soon as I read,

“In a small corner of my screen”

I knew this was a John article. Couldn’t install a Vive, can’t build a computer and can’t run dosbox in full screen.

I love your reviews John but damn mate you’re hopeless.

• Saarlaender39 says:

You know, what’s funny?
      I knew this was a John article, as soon as I read the words “by John Walker” right under the headline.
      ;p

• Paul B says:

In John’s defence, I get the impression from reading his articles, that he likes to multi-task when he’s playing games so plays them Windowed where possible. I don’t think it’s because he can’t work-out how to run Dosbox full-screen (though I suppose I could be wrong).

• Someoldguy says:

This! I love playing old games, but if there’s a way to switch out of DosBOX temporarily and not have it shrink to 1/8 of the screen in size until restarted, please let the world know.

17. dylan says:

Shout out to the ambitious Conqueror 1086AD, the game that tried to combine rpg, grand strategy, rts, dating sim, city sim, and Doom into a full blown medieval lifestyle bonanza, the game that made me cry when I got it for my birthday instead of WarCraft 2, the game I ended up liking more than WarCraft 2.

• Lacessit says:

Good god! Somebody else DID play that! That was my first real, bought, PC game. I loved it to bits.

• dylan says:

You and I would have been friends.

I bet I could still pull off the unbelievably precise mouse movements needed to joust. Sway slowly to the right… wait for it… SNAP left!

18. poliovaccine says:

Eh, I feel like the worlds of games and movies alike are inundated with remakes lately. I could toss off a dozen old games I love but which would be improved by a modern remaster, but really I’d just love to see some more true originals. They still happen of course, but I feel like this is just the golden age of remakes lately – this article’s existence is kind of a good example of that.

Then again, maybe I should just get with the nostalgia and enjoy the golden age of remakes for what it is. Maybe if we indulge it deeply enough, everyone will come around to having my original gripe, and the world will turn out a new era of utterly original, soulful, innovative new titles, with the only thing they have in common being that none are like anything we’ve ever seen before…

In that case, I’d like a 3D open world remake of 1997’s Blade Runner, please. In the vein of LA Noire.

*prays to the space gods*

• Unclepauly says:

Hey, the new Bladerunner 2049 or whatever it’s called is coming out. If the series does extremely well we may be getting something along those lines who knows. Bladerunner is one of the only older clunky games I’ve finished recently. The world was just so good.

• jeremyalexander says:

Hopefully CDPR’s Cyberpunk will be the open world Blade Runner style game I’ve been waiting for all my life.

19. CartonofMilk says:

I’m a big nostalgic but I dont need remakes. Just make new interesting originals. That are actually original.

nitwit says:

I’m almost always disappointed with remastered games. I think great games have their place in history and don’t always do well out of that context. What I really need is a time machine.

20. Rufust Firefly says:

Starflight and Starflight II come to mind. The Spemin and Humna Humna deserve to be in a screen larger than a postage stamp.

• jeremyalexander says:

OOh, good call! The Starflight series was just flat out some of the best gaming ever. They are still fun today and have at least as much depth as garbage like No Man’s Sky and ME:A. I would love to see Obsidian get their hands on the IP.

• phlebotinum says:

I would love a Starflight remake or sequel even! They really were phenomenal games. The worlds were so fun to explore; the aliens and their cultures had reasonable depth; and there were numerous viable ways to play.

It doesn’t hurt that it is one of the first games that I played along with my father and brother.

21. Unknown says:

This isn’t exactly an original thought, but a remaster of the original Deus Ex with modern graphics, animations, physics, AI, and voice acting would be amazing.

• Kaeoschassis says:

They’d inevitably “fix” all the glitches and exploits that keep me coming back to that game at least thrice a year, which would be blasphemy of the highest order.

• Marclev says:

Just so long as they keep the music, a big yes to that. The fan made HD mod (forget what it’s called .. “New Vision”?) replaced the music and as a result spent about 1 minute on my hard disk before being uninstalled and condemned due to sacrilege.

• Railway Rifle says:

“Also need to keep the original dialogue. Just wouldn’t be the same without classic lines (“A bomb??”)”

This is like the hero modder that restored the terrible original dialogue to the remake of Resident Evil.

22. Kaeoschassis says:

John what the hell did you just say about Betrayal at Krondor? I thought you were cool, man.

I thought you were cool.

23. Chaoslord AJ says:

Even if something eventually gets remade like System Shock it’s basically on low budget and looks like it.
    Nostalgia has become a business of its own.
    If it’s not a remake (for license reasons) then it’s a “spiritual successor” and also on low budget.
    To the point of the question: Magic Carpet 2, Syndicate, Tie Fighter, Daggerfall, Dune 2 come to mind.
    But I’d always prefer a modern (polished) successor over a remake/remaster.

24. Crabtipus says:

I would kill for a remake of Master of Magic, MAX, Magic Carpet and Syndicate. Master of Magic especially.

• WombatDeath says:

Yes, MoM please. I have fond memories of beefing up Torin the Chosen to ridiculous levels and punching dragons in the face.

teije says:

My top 3

Jagged Alliance 2 – no one’s done it right yet, despite the attempts
    Birthright Gorgons Alliance – and have the pieces actually fit together this time
    Transport Tycoon Deluxe – I know the Open TTD folks are awesome, but same awesome, open gameplay with new graphics/UI

• LewdPenguin says:

If you haven’t already seen it then check out Transport Fever for something very clearly inspired by TTD but in a modern engine. It’s about as close as I’ve seen something come to the same open world/free style of building your transport empire/mess, although sadly even while being a great improvement on it’s predecessor it does still have a huge list of issues that holds it back from being something I can recommend as a automatic buy, but still worth a look.

Also to those posters mentioning Magic Carpet, holy shit I just had a major flashback, that game seemed so groundbreaking even if I never played it anything close to properly as I only got to have brief goes round a mates house, these days it’d probably get lost amoungst the deluge of “huge, free to explore open world” games each trying to pitch their own particular gimmick, but screw it, someone make it anyway because nostalgia.

26. Marclev says:

Sim City 2000

I think that’s been done. It’s called Cities: Skylines

• joe80x86 says:

Cities Skylines is not Simcity 2000/3000/4 or anything resembling them. As much as I would like to love it, it is a boring city painter and will never get better.

27. Bernardo says:

What’s wrong about The Dig as is? I recently showed it to my partner, who, despite having much much stronger Adventure credentials than I, didn’t know it. She hates pixelated graphics after an overdose of Wadjet Eye and a dearth of other decent adventures, but she loved the look and feel of The Dig.

Otherwise I’m having the same feeling since buying a few of my all time favorites on GOG, only to give up after five minutes. Sometimes it’s graphics, sometimes UI, but often also “how the fuck did I play through this pile of garbage?” (Discworld, I’m looking at you). I still wonder how I played hours of Civilization without my eyeballs exploding in cancerous splatter…

The Almighty Moo says:

Staring at pixelated graphics can give one the Wadjet Eye? Crap, I didn’t know that and it sounds horrible. Is it curable? Can you catch it from others who are in the midst of nostalgia games kick?

Really surprised there aren’t any paper articles about the new dangers posed by old games in this regard.

28. spagett says:

Just want to mention to anyone who might be interested in going at a DOS game but can’t be arsed with DOSBox to try D-Fend Reloaded. I use it and i haven’t had any hassles at all with the games i’ve played. Neatly loads them all in a library as well.

29. Derty says:

Interstate ’76. Still one of my all time favorites but it is basically unplayable anymore.

• MacTheGeek says:

The soundtrack has aged much more gracefully than the game itself.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I used to love this game so much, although I don’t think I ever did make it all the way through the story. Played a lot of multiplayer even though it was pretty much a hack fest when I played. People would use the hacks to mod their cars though and would just hang out in rooms having drag races and showing off their rides.

The good old days when Activision were really really good at making games.

30. Shazbut says:

KGB remade with a full 3D engine is a masterpiece begging to be made flesh.

The Last Express too

31. Sin Vega says:

Rocket Jockey.

You’re a jockey. Of rockets. And you steer by firing grappling hooks. This is also how you attack opponents, and/or pick up balls/pucks and hurl them into goals for points, depending on the game mode. It’s an absolute bastard to get playing today even if you have the CD. And you probably won’t be able to get the soundtrack working with it, which is a terrible shame.

• TorQueMoD says:

Man I loved rocket jockey! That game was awesome. I’m working on an indie title called crotch rockets. Not really inspired by RJ but hopefully still fun.

32. Rorschach617 says:

From 2000, but that’s close enough right?

Someone resurrect Crimson Skies! That was a cool world to play in.

33. arioch says:

Master of magic!

Not another similar game like any of the modern 4x or grand strat games, but actual master of magic with better graphics!

34. duncvis says:

I might be the only one but I’d like to see SimIsle resurrected. I lost whole weekends to that one.

• poliovaccine says:

Oh *wow,* you mightve been the only one if you hadnt reminded me. I was a total fiend for the various Sim-thisnthats after SimCity 2000 – SimCopter, SimAnt and SimTower were the big three for me, but SimIsle also featured prominently – I remember that it *was* my new favorite… until The Sims came along, and over the next few months my eyes went bloody with rapturous joy.

• joe80x86 says:

I would love to see remakes of the SimX games.

35. frozbite says:

Upvore Incubation – one of the best turn-based tactics around.

But, top of the list – remake damn Covert Action! I know Sid Meier himself said that design decisions was wrong and game was dull, but if made correctly with modern graphics and other stuff, with its procedure-generated scenario it will become long-playing dimond!

36. Blake Casimir says:

Can we please PLEASE PLEASE have more first person action adventures like Realms Of The Haunting, and immersive sim dungeon crawlers like Ultima Underworld and King’s Field.

Stalker keeps me going for now (Call of Chernobyl is incredible) but I am so utterly desperate to play new first person immersive sims like the System Shocks, Thiefs, Ultima Underworld etc. but almost no-one is making them.

Yes Night Dive and OtherSide are doing this and Prey is about to release but THAT IS IT.

On the more action-orientated side, at least the Descent devs have released playable versions of Overload.

• caff says:

Oooh Stalker, yes now there’s a game that could be done in a modern engine – but it would require the same gritty bleak atmosphere that the original had, and that’s so hard to capture.

• poliovaccine says:

Holy crap, is *Stalker* really so old now that it’s fair game for a remake fantasy?? Sheeit, I still *play* Shadow of Chernobyl (with the Complete 2009 mod but still.. come to think of it, 2009 isnt exactly yesterday anymore..) – maybe this means I need to upgrade some hardware…

37. elracko says:

Jagged Alliance 2 (as mentioned, with 1.13) – playable now, but always feels on the brink of crashing.
    Wizard’s Crown – a moddable version of this would be interesting.
    Fragile Allegiance – a 12 player non-crashing multiplayer version of this would be hysterical.
    Colonization
    Oil Barons

teije says:

Good call on Colonization, such a good game.

• Shazbut says:

But there’s already been a remake of Colonization. I haven’t played it but I prefer the original anyway because of prejudice

• jeremyalexander says:

The Civ 4 version of Colonization was awful. All of the fun and unique mechanics were gone, it was just a glorified mod.

• Bernardo says:

Have you tried the The Authentic Colonization and Religion & Revolution mods for Civ IV: Col? Both IMO very good overhauls. With those two (second bulds on the first one), it’s more interesting that the original.

38. c-Row says:

Uprising got released on GOG last year but it’s riddled with regular crashes and not running too well in general. Would love to have this back in a modern glorious 1080p version.

39. Greg says:

SWAT 4, Command & Conquer: Generals, Dark Reign, Dungeon Keeper 2,
    Scorched Earth, and Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire would be a good start.

40. icarussc says:

Obviously the answer is Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri. Do not speak to me of Civ Beyond Earth.

• Stargazer86 says:

You can get Alpha Centauri off of GoG and it still holds up fairly well, though you can definitely feel the age if you’ve played the most recent Civs. The 90’s clunkiness is readily apparent but all the charm and uniqueness is still there. And I agree, let us not speak of Beyond Earth.

41. Freud says:

Outcast
    Heroes of Might and Magic III

42. Ganj says:

Missionforce: Cyberstorm please.

43. jeremyalexander says:

I’m not worried so much about a remake, but a reboot of the Ultima series would be great, better if it went to a company like Obsidian instead of EA, but still great. I would also like to see someone revive the Magic Candle series and an old strategy rpg from SSI called Sword of Aragon. To this day, the best strategy game I’ve ever played.

44. caff says:

The first thought I had when I saw the headline was “Sam ‘n Max”. Then I saw John had mentioned it already. I would kill for a 2D adventure that had the quality, absurdity and genuine viciousness of Hit the Road. No offence to Telltale, but they came nowhere near the incredible depth of the original Lucasarts game.

45. Ralsto says:

Walker can’t even handle a basic dos installation? That actually explains a lot.

46. Someoldguy says:

I could start writing a list, but it would just end up being all the great games I ever played on the PC, basically.

Betrayal at Krondor would certainly be high up there, alongside the early Elder Scrolls games.

47. RaymondQSmuckles says:

After playing The Witness, I realized I hadn’t had such a feeling since playing Infocom games of old. I think that game can show the way toward Infocom remakes that maintain the spirit of the originals without the (cumbersome, but I love it anyway) text parsers.

48. meepmeep says:

Crusader: No Remorse / Regret

While the graphics and general isometric-ness place it firmly and irrevokably in the mid-90s, there’s just something in the gameplay mechanics that hasn’t been properly reconstituted since – something approaching a real-time XCOM.

Captain Narol says:

Please give use modern versions with glorious 3D graphics of Sim Life and Lords of Midnight.

• Someoldguy says:

Which Lords of Midnight do you mean? I loved the 1980s version on the Spectrum but never thought the later versions had the same charm, but that may just have been my age. I actually produced and hung a hand-drawn and coloured-in map of the original on my wall for months as I spent a long summer exploring the game. These days I’d expect an automap to do all that, or have it all handed to me by a wiki page. I suspect it is mpossible to recapture that feeling, although I gather Mike Singleton was doing some work on producing a version for iPhone before he sadly passed away.

• Arioch_RN says:

The remade versions of Lords of Midnight and Doomdark’s Revenge are well worth playing, they’ve been given a few modern day upgrades like an automap but still look and play pretty much like the originals. It’s like someone’s whacked a Speccy with a HD bat http://thelordsofmidnight.com

50. desolation0 says:

I’ll go with Quarantine and Wizardry’s Dark Savant trilogy 6-8.
    Quarantine was a fairly early Doom clone where instead of a space marine you’re a post apocalyptic hover cabbie in a locked down city full of all humanity’s worst. Your goal is to get out while listening to some awesome Aussie 90’s alt rock including standout Berlin Chair by You Am I. Your means is an arsenal of weaponry strapped to your cab including spikes for any hapless pedestrians getting between you and completing the fare and paying for your freedom.
    The Wizardry series was classic RPG greatness. Choose your party of six from any combination of classic fantasy races and classes. They built a heckuva world and let you wander around getting into trouble however you pleased. Wizardry 7 even featured wandering NPC’s competing with you for the final objective. Take too long and one of them may have already found the puzzle piece you’ve been looking for.

Comment on this story