Trackmania 2 going tropical with Lagoon this month

More splendidly silly timetrial racing is coming with Trackmania 2 Lagoon [official site] on May 23rd, Ubisoft have announced. It’ll bring tropical courses to race across in a new solo campaign and a new multiplayer team mode. The taxonomy of Trackmania is endlessly confusing but I believe this is Nadeo rolling the lagoon environment of 2016’s Trackmania Turbo into the ManiaPlanet world of Trackmania 2 to share its player-made content and community features.

Ahead of Lagoon’s launch, Ubisoft have launched a big ManiaPlanet update with performance improvements and new features.

Don’t mind that screenshot ↑ up there – it’s Trackmania Turbo. Ubisoft, in their infinite wisdom, decided to announce Lagoon without a single screenshot. Lagoon should broadly look like that, with palms and beaches and whatnot. Here’s a textual picture from a marketer’s mouth:

“Trackmania² Lagoon will take racers to tracks between fabulous palm trees and the crystal-clear bay waters of the Tropical Island of Lagoon, where they will experience arcade gameplay unlike anything in the series to date. The game will include a brand-new solo campaign, a new official team game mode, Chase, a deep multiplayer experience, and a world of possibilities with user-generated content.”

Ubisoft can ‘flip’ right off with their funny little ². Trackmania 2 Lagoon it is. Ubi haven’t announced a price yet but other bits of Trackmania 2 cost £8/$10 or £16/$20 so I’d guess one of those. Probably the latter.

As for ManiaPlanet 4, that’s out today. Changes include new mesh editing tools, support for creating solo campaigns, new textures and pieces for the Canyon, Valley and Stadium settings, trains, new weapons and modes for Shootmania, channels with scheduled content, and more.

I don’t see a full changelog up yet but this trailer demonstrates some of it:

1. BlazeHedgehog says:

Judging by a thread I saw on the Steam forums it also sounds like Maniaplanet 4 broke a lot of stuff for a lot of people, and forgot a bunch of account information.

• BlazeHedgehog says:

Finally decided to try logging in to Trackmania 2/Maniaplanet 4 for myself.

Upon booting launching from my Trackmania 2 Stadium shortcut in Steam, it tells me it can’t log me in because my username/password is incorrect. I try to reset my password, and upon clicking the link in the email it says my activation key doesn’t match anything in the database.

So instead I try to launch the game in offline mode and it tells me “TMStadium by Nadeo” can’t be found and it presents me with a blank menu with no ability to play anything.

This game I was playing just three days ago is now broken and completely worthless.

2. godzillasushi says:

About time, cant wait to dive back in again :)

3. ludde says:

Good, the Trackmania 2 platform was a lot better than the Turbo one. For example, hot seat in Turbo didn’t even have basic stuff like changing time limits (or change to number of tries) and track selections. And I believe you couldn’t be more than four players or some arbitrary number like that.

My friends and I just went back to Trackmania 2 instead.

4. c-Row says:

So what exactly are the differences between the various flavours of Trackmania 2? It’s getting really confusing these days.

• BlazeHedgehog says:

Trackmania’s always been like this. Each environment gets a new vehicle and each vehicle has different physics.

For example, in Trackmania 2 Canyon, you have a faster car with the ability to drift, but in Trackmania 2 Stadium drifting is nixed in favor of air control.

Honestly, it’s kind of annoying. Trackmania Stadium is the one that really hit it big (because of that air control) but Nadeo seems hell bent on continuing the legacy of changing up the physics for every environment type even though, as far as I can tell, nobody actually plays anything other than Stadium. (Trackmania Nations has five wildly different environment/vehicle types and I never once saw a server run anything that wasn’t Stadium)

I’ve never played the Castle environment, so I can’t really say specifically what’s different about the vehicle physics, and who knows what Lagoon’s gonna be like.

• Kitsunin says:

But Stadium is the worst one, drifting and going at high speeds in Trackmania just feels brilliant :(

Also are you sure the reason you only see people play Stadium isn’t because it’s been the cheapest by far? Well, I think it is an overall favorite, but holy crap the high-speed drifting in Canyon is so much more fun.

• BlazeHedgehog says:

None of the other Trackmania environments have air control. I remember getting FURIOUS at Trackmania Canyon because it really felt like a crapshoot whether or not you’d land correctly after a ramp. At least Stadium lets you stop spinning in mid-air.

• Kitsunin says:

True there isn’t, but the air control in Stadium still doesn’t feel amazing or anything. It’s certainly not satisfying enough to make up for the fact that there’s no real drifting! Which feels stellar!

I’ve never found my landing after a jump felt like a crapshoot in Canyon or Valley, either. You don’t have control after you leave the ground, but it’s perfectly deterministic and predictable.

• jaytee00 says:

You can totally drift in stadium, just hold accelerate, press brake and turn. That car had really interesting and deep handling compared to the other environments. Sadly most people like simple high speed tracks.

@BlazeHedgehog: The stadium environment was most popular because TM Nations was free. TM United had the 5 environments and servers that used all of them were available for at least a year after it came out, though they were no where near as popular as Nations servers. I doubt most people even noticed the air control – you’d see plenty of people landing nose first on some jumps.

• Jekhar says:

Stadium was released for free at some point, so no wonder it’s the most popular. And what’s annoying about getting different cars, each with their own handling?

5. wodin says:

I really wanted to be able to race AI controlled cars..not just your own ghost car when ever I’ve played one of the Trackmania games..