Nier: Automata white screen bug fixed for AMD cards

Nier: Automata

Nier: Automata [official site] is a wonderful action-RPG plagued, for some, by technical issues. Random crashes, blurry visuals and low frame rates are just a few of the problems players have faced, but those with AMD cards have had it worst. It’s been virtually unplayable for some because of a bug turning the screen white, which is pretty inexcusable.

AMD have finally got round to addressing the problem with new drivers.

Why has it taken so long, you ask? Here’s what a chap from AMD had to say for himself in a Reddit post:

“I know I will be asked ‘why did it take so long’ and the short answer is sometimes when an issue seems like it’s so simple can turn out to be incredibly complicated to resolve, taking longer than expected time to discover, resolve, and verify the root cause.”

Better late than never, I suppose!

Hopefully now that the biggest technical issue is out of the way, Platinum Games can concentrate on solving the long list of other gripes (Redditers have compiled a comprehensive list here).

Nier: Automata

Until that happens, there’s still some decent solutions provided by the game’s modding community, god bless them. Andon ‘Kaldaien’ Coleman, who has also helped fix up games including Final Fantasy X, Tales of Berseria, and Disgaea, has released the FAR (Fix Automata Resolution) tool, which fixes the blurry screen problem and also helps boost performance.

Alice didn’t have any massive technical issues with the game, but using the FAR tool to knock the global illuminations shader down a notch gave her a 5-10% performance boost. That’s not to be sniffed at.

It’s a real shame, because Nier: Automata is a game than any RPG fan should be able to experience. I’m glad AMD users can finally get their chance, and let’s hope the fixes keep coming.

1. Halk says:

“Hopefully now that the biggest technical issue is out of the way, Platinum Games can concentrate on solving the long list of other gripes”

Good one.

2. lordcooper says:

Still completely unplayable on 700 series cards.

• legends20 says:

Came to say this. White screen every 10 minutes or less.

• Asurmen says:

So this is affecting Nvidia as well?

• notdave says:

780Ti Here. The game is still unplayable. I’ve tried every “fix”. The game’s video still crashes every 10-30 minutes with no auto-save.

3. Hoot says:

Here’s a Steam Forums link for the FAR Mod. There’s an install guide and an autoinstall option which I couldn’t easily see in the link in the article.

I’d say it’s an absolutely essential mod if you’re playing on PC. It gets rid of the “mouse always there” bug and fixes a lot of performance / graphics issues.

I installed it before I started playing and I’m now 27 hours in with zero bugs and a constant 60+ FPS on a 970 GTX.

link to steamcommunity.com

• PsychoWedge says:

wasn’t that the mod from the guy who did a lot of shitty things to players like blacklisting them on steam and such via his mod because he had disagrements with them on the forums?

• fish99 says:

If the mod works, who cares? You’re not paying him or recommended him for a knighthood, you’re just making your game better.

I’m assuming this is something to do with the people trying to use the mod with the pirated version?

• PsychoWedge says:

no, he was using his mod to blacklist players on steam based on their steam-id because they disagreed with him on something on the forums. he was banned by valve for distributing malware via steam, if my research was correct.

him making his mod not working on pirated copies is something else entirely.

• Luch says:

The “blacklist” contains 2 people that were harrassing him on steam back when he was making the mod for Tales of Zestiria. He was temporarily banned by a community moderator for calling someone a moron, not for “malware”.

None of that blacklist or piracy stuff really matters since the mod is open source.

4. LazyAssMF says:

“…those with AMD cards have had it worst.”???
    That’s not really true. Nvidia users had it worst. Most AMD users had no problems with this game, me included, and it was only some RX series users having these “white screen” problems.

Nvidia users, on the other hand, had A LOT of problems, especially performance related and crashes. Steam forums were/are full of them. Just saying… ;)

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Seconded. I played it on a R9 380X with no issues whatsoever. Graphics looked great and it ran as smooth as butter.

• Baines says:

To be fair, Steam forums are always full of complaints.

5. caerphoto says:

Fixed it for me and my RX 470, so I’m happy. Played pretty much all day yesterday, what a lovely game :D

6. Mr.Oyamada says:

I don’t know why I don’t have an issue with this white screen bug. Maybe my computer is godlike?
    Setup:
    Geforce GTX 1060 6gb
    Intel core i7-2600@3.4GHz
    8gb RAM

Don Reba says:

I’m going to let you in on a little secret. Having a godlike computer is like being in love: no one can tell you you’re in love, you just know it. Through and through, bones to bones.

Also, because GTX 1060 is not an AMD card.