Red Dead Redemption 2 delayed into 2018

We still don’t know for sure whether open world western Red Dead Redemption 2 [official site] is coming to PC at all. But one thing we do know for sure is that it’s coming out for consoles this autu– what? Oh. Oh, I see. Red Dead Redemption 2 will be coming out for consoles in spring 2018, says Rockstar, embracing the delay into next year by saying that “some extra time is necessary to ensure that we can deliver the best experience possible for our fans.” Fair enough. They’ve also released some dusty screenshots, to soften the wound.

“We are very sorry for any disappointment this delay causes,” said the developers, “but we are firm believers in delivering a game only when it is ready. We are really excited to bring you more details about the game this summer.”

We’ve been speculating about an eventual PC release because it would be silly for the business-minded maker of blockbuster vidyagames to ignore the same crowd that continuously buys copies of GTAV as if they were loaves of bread. The first Red Dead Redemption never appeared on PC because it was, for some untold reason, “not viable” but that was ten years ago and today we live in the future. It’s likely the PC version will be arriving later than consoles, if we do get invited to the shooty saloon. But we are a patient peoples. Yessir. We waited until last year to play the first one, even if it is via PlayStation’s streaming service.

You can see more of these screens in Rockstar’s announcement.

1. ColonelFlanders says:

Take your time Rockstar. Make it good. Make it work. You’ll get all of my moneys.

• Pizzzahut says:

Twice I read that as “You’ll get all of my monkeys”.

• pentraksil says:

No moneyz for the if not on PC, that’s for sure.

• UncleLou says:

They get my money no matter which platform they release it on. Too good to miss. And if there’s a PC version, they’ll get my money twice. Although the PS4 version of GTAV held its value so well that selling it basically funded the PC version.

• dontnormally says:

Not looking forward to the inevitable focus on annoying us into buying CARDSHARK CARDS so the online (since single player was quickly abandoned) is bearable without grinding for dozens of hours

2. Kingseeker Camargo says:

So here we are, avidly following the news of a game that might not even be real. What could we call this kind of phenomenon? “Wishware”? “Probablyware”?

At any rate, this is my most anticipated piece of wishware ever.

• titanomaquis says:

I don’t get the point of Rockstar’s choosing to neither confirm nor deny the existence of a PC version. Shouldn’t they want to create anticipation from PC gamers?

• fish99 says:

No, they want PC gamers to buy it on console first, and then again on PC.

One look through my games collection will tell you this strategy works.

• stringerdell says:

I sometimes get big games on console to play with pals then later on PC to have nicer frame rate and graphics. Has to be pretty special for me to buy it twice though

• fish99 says:

It’s something I would only do for GTA games, but then it’s only really Rockstar that uses this tactic. The only two games I’ve ever queued up at midnight to buy were GTA4 and 5 (on PS3). Then I played them for <10 hrs, decided the framerates were too awful and waited for the PC versions.

Someday I'll learn.

phuzz says:

The word you’re looking for is “Vapourware”.

3. int says:

Rockstar is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

4. Mrice says:

Fingers crossed they will release red dead 1 and 2 in a bundle on PC. I was playing a dusty old ps3 copy of rd1 the other day and it holds up surprisingly well

5. Cvnk says:

This is good news. Only because I’m bitter about the lack of PC ports for these games.

6. Someoldguy says:

I wouldn’t normally urge anyone to ‘do a Fargo’ but I’m hoping their management is doing an inverse-Fargo here and are delaying their console classic so that it can be announced as getting a simultaneous PC release. Not that the delay and the announcement of another platform are in any way linked. If you do a Fargo, that’s not a thing.

7. criskywalker says:

So, it’ll be on PC in 2022.

8. Sagiri says:

For some reason, I was under the impression that it was supposed to come out in 2019, and I see this which announces it was delayed to 2018, which was confusing to me until I realized what was up.

9. DaftPunk says:

Why is this even news? Its not confirmed for pc so stop posting about it.

• UncleLou says:

You could just not click on the article. If it’s announced, I am sure it’ll say so in the headline.