Star Wars Battlefront 2 shows off space battles

“Pew pew!” goes the spaceship in new Star Wars Battlefront 2 [official site] viddies warping out of Gamescom, showing off the starfighting action in Dice’s boldly-going shooter. Spaceship battles were added to the previous Battlefront in a paid expansion but this time they’re free for everyone, which is grand. Starfighter Assault mode will pit teams against each other to complete (or block) multi-stage objectives, which I assume all revolve around blowing things up. The one EA are showing off now is the Battle of Fondor, so named because the Rebel Alliance was obsessed with fondling the door of an orbital shipyard.

I think that’s an Outlander joke.

First, here’s the live demo of Fondor from EA’s Gamescom presentation last night, jumping between perspectives with a cinematic flair:

Or if you’d rather see the slick polished trailer version, this came out a few days prior:

StarWars Battlefront 2 is due to launch on November 17th (or at 11pm on the 16th for us in the UK) through Origin, priced at £54.99. All new heroes, maps, weapons, and modes released after launch will be free this time, ditching the DLC season pass of the last game. But on the flipside, it will have optional microtransactions to get more crates with Star Cards and crafting materials and whatnot. Is this that “bringing balance to the Force” Old Wan Toby is always on about?

1. fish99 says:

Why does the Millenium Falcon apparently have a top speed of 32 mph? And why did I see the Enterprise in there?

• Dogshevik says:

Speed limits near imperial space stations are strictly enforced.

Levity aside, I agree. As far as space battles are concerned this one looks like a pretty timid and relaxed affair. And I don´t think one can blame it on “space opera design choices”. It just looks a tad bit silly.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

The Millennial Falcon can famously make the Kessel Run in 32 MPH.

2. latedave says:

Looks pretty good actually, the first one was fun but unfortunately very lightweight so the ability to purchase hero ships and classes rather than just getting lucky by finding re icon is welcome. I just hope they don’t kill it with micro transactions

Godwhacker says:

Third person only = very disappointing. They had the opportunity to remake X-Wing here, with deflector shield and power control and everything, and they go for this.

Looks very pretty though.

4. Zorgulon says:

Is that Yoda in a starfighter?

5. LexW1 says:

Can I just say how much I hate the needless outlines, pulsing, and glowing and so on? It robs most of this of an actual “Star Wars” feel and makes it seem very computer-game-y in the worst possible sense.

• TychoCelchuuu says:

Part of me is a little impressed at how willing DICE is to fuck up its gorgeous games with UI stuff in order to make them easier to play – it’s kind of noble, in a way, to be so dedicated to making the game fun – but I totally agree with you that it really kills the atmosphere. In a game where the atmosphere is a huge draw, that’s a real shame. The same goes for all that ridiculous score popup text: I want to feel like I’m in Star Wars, not like I’m racking up points in a video game.

• Unclepauly says:

So you guys are saying you can’t turn it off?

• GameOverMan says:

I agree with you both. I think it’s a lost cause, they have a graphics engine that can render beautiful images but they love their UI clutter. Some youtubers disable the HUD via console command to show how good the game looks without all that crap obscuring your view but the people at EA/DICE think that the most important thing is that you always have a target to shoot and showing how many points you are racking up. Continuous gaming feedback versus immersion.

6. SaintAn says:

Booooo! This isn’t the space combat we wanted! We wanted it to be exactly like Battlefront 2’s space combat where you can land in the ships and fight. So tired of developers not listening and ruining games people want.

7. Cloak says:

Visual: Great
    Sound&Audio: Great
    Gameplay: Stale
    Controls: Stiff and boring
    Longevity: As long as the first one lasted

I’m sorry but by just looking at this game I can already see there is no innovation here. It just looks like another casual game which you play by yourself with no reason to work with other people, just fly around get your K/D ratio up. Same boring formula. Pass.

8. Catweasel says:

I hate modern naming conventions sooooo much. Why do there have to be two games called Battlefront 2, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

9. K_Sezegedin says:

FFS will someone take these assets and just make a goddamn Xwing/Tie Fighter game already.

10. mactier says:

Something about the lighting is weird though. It follows the trend of “realistic” but dark-looking games (and I don’t mean space itself). It’s pretty obvious, I don’t see how anyone can miss that in such a big franchise that’s so much about the right looks. Acrually I think that’s the main reason why nobody might be fooled or impressed by this, except for hardcore gamers already.

11. GemFire81 says:

Yeah , no thanks. Battlefront 1 was a complete scam. Don’t buy into this garbage. Battlefront 1 seriously went from like 1,000,000 concurrent player over all platforms to like 7 total concurrent over all platforms in like a week.

Comment on this story