Divinity: Original Sin 2’s voice acting credits include “pile of corpses”

“Hello, do you think you’d be able to perform the voice of a pile of corpses, a bull, a deer and a painting?”

When the decision was made to have Divinity: Original Sin 2’s dialogue fully voiced, the sheer quantity of text seemed like the biggest hurdle but I hadn’t considered the difficulty that casting some roles would involve. Voice actor Jay Britton, who has worked on TV and radio as well as games, including Elite Dangerous and The Journey Down, revealed the full list of 35 characters that he played in Larian’s RPG. It ranges from apparent fantasy staples such as Pilgrim and Lizard Skeleton all the way to Pile of Corpses, Dead Civilian, Bull and Deer. It’s as good a brief summary of the weirdness threaded through this wonderful RPG as anything I’ve seen and I asked Jay which was the most memorable character of the lot.

There are spoilers for the quest Love Has a Price below

“I played Zharat, a lizard prostitute/conman, which was definitely a first. Described as a lizard with a voice like honeyed gravel, whose role it was to seduce and betray the player he was a joy to perform and wonderfully over the top. During the recording session the writer was dialled in over Skype listening to the seduction… It’s the first time I’ve actually made someone blush over Skype!”

You can hear some of that honeyed gravel in this footage of the scene in question.

1. spacedyemeerkat says:

Pile of Corpses. Brilliant.

I know this chap isn’t the narrator but seems as good a place as any to say: absolutely love the narrator’s performance. So well done. As is pretty much all the voice acting, to be fair.

PS – Totally unrelated: who is Dominic Tarason and how come he’s virtually taken over RPS in the last couple of days?!

• welverin says:

The last couple of days would be the weekend, when they have a fill in do most of the posts (pretty much everything but What are WE Playing and the Sunday Papers), doesn’t explain today however.

Soooo, it’s actually (mostly) normal.

• hprice says:

There was a time when RPGs had something resembling a sense of humour. That’s why the original Divinity, and the original Sacred were memorable to me. They had a sense of humour. I particularly loved reading the gravestones in Sacred. They always had some silly text on them regarding how that person died. Eaten by an ogre, squashed by a troll or whatever. It lightened the mood a bit. Games are meant to be for fun, n’est pas? RPGs like Diablo III and Path of Exile have seemingly gone all grunge-y, and have nothing resembling humour in them … but of course, I could be entirely wrong since I’ve only played about five minutes of the latter before getting bored …

• waltC says:

The voice acting is fantastic–haven’t met a single character I thought sounded cheesy or low rent–it is consistently excellent. Have to disagree about the narrator, though–I couldn’t take five minutes of that and was enormously pleased to see that Larian provided an option to turn off the narrator completely! Bravo, Larian–I’ve played 110 hours so far with the narrator off.

It wasn’t that the narrator was done badly–not at all. It was very good–as good as anything else voiced in the game–it was that , to me, the narrator sounded far too much like an NPC in the tone and timbre of his voice–and I found that fairly distracting. I’m certain I can’t be alone in that, because then Larian wouldn’t have provided a switch to turn him off…!…;) Someone with a much deeper voice, not so much the clipped old-English brogue but a neutral accent, would have been far less distracting, imo. A narrator’s voice should come from a place outside of the story instead of in it, imo.

• carewolf says:

The pile of corpses, yeah I talked to those. They didn’t say much.

Drib says:

I enjoyed DOS2 but I have to say I doubt I’ll ever finish it. The difficulty is wonky as heck and I’m constantly being attacked out of nowhere by people who kill me in one turn, or stunlock my entire party for ten turns while killing them.

But I did enjoy the parts of the game I was able to see.

3. Antongranis says:

I felt the same, but finally reached a turningpoint some way through chapter 1. I know i am glad i didnt give up!

4. Simes says:

The thing I want to know is who pronounces “opening” like that.

Comment on this story