Titan Quest has a new Norse expansion and it’s out now

titanquestragnarok

Well, this is a sight for Thor eyes.

I thought Titan Quest was done for good, which wouldn’t be surprising considering it’s more than a decade old. But today, right now, THQ Nordic have released a fresh expansion, Ragnarok, that takes the mythological hack and slasher into the cold of northern Europe. Titan Quest has moved on from Olympus and Hades and now we’re getting a dose of Norse mythology.” Brave the realms of the Celts, the Northmen and the Asgardian gods in the largest act to date,” it says here, and you’ll do all that braving across dozens of new quests.

Along with the new region, there are new monsters and weapons, as well as a new Runemaster class. THQ Nordic have also revisited the game from a technical perspective, introducing new shaders and other graphical effects, tweaking the UI, and improving the ragdoll physics. Titan Quest is the first game of its type I remember having any ragdoll physics and I’m not ashamed to say that watching satyrs crumple against tree stumps was one of my favourite things about the game. It made them feel more solid and added to that Harryhausen stop-motion feel.

I have no idea if Ragnarok will live up to the previous expansion, Immortal Throne, and it’s worth keeping in mind that this has been created by an entirely new team, after the Titan Quest license moved to THQ Nordic after THQ’s collapse. Many of the people who worked on the original game moved to the newly formed Crate Entertainment, where they created Grim Dawn, a spiritual successor of sorts. Ragnarok requires the Anniversary Edition of Titan Quest (a free update for owners of the original), released last year and currently on sale for £3.59 (normally £17.99). Ragnarok costs £13.49.

My memories of Titan Quest are extremely fond and I’m already reinstalling, with the intention of mastering some runes and whupping some wolves.

1. uggron says:

This is the best kind of madness.

2. gabrielonuris says:

I dont’ know, but I kind of hate Titan Quest, because it was the only aRPG that I mananaged to completely break my character build at the end game.

I know, I know, maybe it was my own fault, but when the game “lets” you simply upgrade the “wrong” skills, for me it is a problem with the game itself and its faux progression freedom. I had to use a trainer to beat the final boss because none of my skills were making any meaningful damage, not even to the simple mobs.

• dr.denton says:

I wholeheartedly agree. And it’s not that TQ didn’t have the potential to be a great game – visuals, world building and the exotic setting made it stand out from pretty much everything else. If only balancing and core gameplay mechanics were on the same level …

As much as releasing new content for TQ is appreciated, in my eyes, the only thing more boring and run-off-the-mill than a Norse theme would have been classic fantasy medieval Western Europe.

• Imperialist says:

I definitely felt like the “freedom” that seems to be in your grasp by having two classes and a bunch of potential abilities, ended up being a bit of a ruse, as some of the trees just sorta sucked, and it really devolved into a few solid builds despite all the choices.

My biggest gripe with TQ was that it was almost overly long. I felt like 90% of the game was essentially “the long goddamn desert acts from diablo 2 and 3” Every time i get to the East, (act…3?) it becomes a big slog.

• DarkFenix says:

Yup, I felt the same way, the game had already somewhat overplayed its hand by late act 2, and act 3 felt like a terrible slog. In fairness it did improve somewhat in act 4 and the expansion, but it was still too long.

On the other hand, it’s fairly incredible just how much the original team learned from their mistakes, Grim Dawn doesn’t suffer from poor balance or being too long. While the world building is nothing like as good as TQ, the balancing of the classes is incredibly good and almost anything can work (and judging by the forum, people make everything work), you can’t dead end yourself because respecs are readily available, and none of the world areas overstay their welcome.

• Gus the Crocodile says:

But yeah the whole game dragged in pace; Act 1 almost unforgivably. I was still a big fan, played a looooot of it, but most of that was probably after installing mods that made the classes more interesting and boosted monster density to at least fill all that space in a little bit.

• Bing_oh says:

“Act 3 was always my favourite; I just enjoyed being there more. Was always desperate for some greenery after Act 2, and I really liked, I dunno, the art of the rocks, trees, bamboo, the view off the Wall…”

Agreed…I loved Act 3 of TQ. The forests maybe not so much, but the entire Oriental/ancient China vibe was so unlike anything in any other ARPG I had ever played. The terra cotta warriors are perhaps my favorite mob aesthetically in any ARPG before or since. Why no one has ever made an ARPG based solely in the Far East is beyond me…it’s a setting ripe for a hack and slash Diablo-alike.

• ludde says:

That was just how it was back in the day. There were no respecs and some builds were good, others bad. It meant that player choice mattered. But yeah, the drawback was it was often difficult to discern what would be successful or not. I’ve not seen that solved yet, without removing one or the other.

Diablo 2 had the same problem, but had respecs patched in recently.

Melum says:

Mind you, TQ *had* respecs for skills but not masteries, which was innovative for the time. Masteries were uneven and you could definitely pick two that didn’t mesh, but your specific skills sucking was something you could actually fix.

Something you couldn’t fix was your attribute spread; not being able to use end-game items was very common in my experience.

• satan says:

Yeah same problem, only time I’ve screwed up so badly in an ARPG.

3. titanomaquis says:

I’m really excited for this, and I’m hoping it lives up to the high standards of the base game.

What a great surprise. Titan quest is just plain old fun!

4. Lacero says:

Well, I love tq but there are so many quality of life improvements in grim dawn I’m not sure I can go back to the old engine.

Maybe on a sale. It was beautiful.

• popej says:

From the steam page:

“Technical and QOL improvements
      New shaders and graphical effects
      Improved ragdoll physics
      Improved UI and combat feedback for total information
      Improved control customization
      Improved modding tools”

Don’t know if that’s what you were hoping for but it sounds promising.

5. Eawyne says:

Oh gosh ! This is sooo cool. We still play it from time to time with my wife, along with Grim Dawn. This is such great news !

6. Zorn says:

Titan Quest always felt a little slow to me. On the one hand it was quiet enjoyable, on the other I found it was wasting my time too much.

syllopsium says:

I always found Titan Quest somewhat unsatisfying – it looks great, is excellent on a 3D monitor, and has hectic battles. Problem is, it’s not very deep, and you end up feeling unfulfilled afterwards.

Got as far as the first proper boss, that took long enough, then moved on. Icewind Dale did it far better.

8. Chaoslord AJ says:

Consider Diablo 3 where Blizzard didn’t bother with a second expansion. They’d make a load of money just not enough for them.

9. Cyrus says:

This is very welcome. *applause

10. Ghostwise says:

Now that’s unexpected. I loved Titan Quest – though yes, you have to consider your build beforehand.

11. BaronKreight says:

This is so surprisingly cool. Ill put it on my wishlist. Im not finished with GD yet.

12. KidWithKnife says:

I guess someone at THQ Nordic noticed Grim Dawn was doing okay for itself. Maybe I’ll check it out down the road, when other games aren’t hogging my gaming time.

Comment on this story