Nioh PC gets belated mouse and keyboard support

Nioh is a peculiar beast in that we consider it to possess “one of the finest combat systems ever put on a screen”, but at the same time its lack of keyboard and mouse support makes it a bit of a black sheep in the PC family. Dark Souls comparisons have been inevitable for Nioh, not only because of its steely try’n’die fantasy swordplay, but also because Dark Souls too originally launched on PC in a rather compromised state. Fortunately, official fixes for Nioh have been a whole lot quicker to arrive – it’s about to support the PC’s oldest inputs after all.

Adam stuck an ‘RPS Recommended’ badge on Team Ninja’s Sengoku-themed combat roleplayer in our Nioh Complete Edition review, but noted that its “journey from console to PC has not been completely smooth.” Main offenders here were the missing keyboard and mouse controls, though Adam felt that this was inherently a more controller-suited game in any case.

To each their own, and, as of Thursday, we’ll all have a choice of controls. Like so:

A three-week wait ain’t so bad, in terms of building a new input system for a game that was not originally designed for it, I’d say. Good to see that they’re making everything rebindable, too – another common sin for console>PC ports is that they’re saddled with absurd fixed controls, like Q to jump or RMB to format your hard drive.

1. Ghostwise says:

It’s about to support the PC’s oldest inputs after all.

I dunno, Alec. Punching holes all these cardboard cards ahead of time is a lot of work.

• wcq says:

Talk about input lag!

But knowing the internet, I bet somebody is working on beating Smough & Ornstein using punch cards as we speak.

• Xiyng says:

I’m pretty sure those card machines don’t qualify as PCs, unless cards stayed relevant for much longer than I thought.

• Ghostwise says:

Yes, this used to be simply business. But now… now, it’s personal.

• fiendling says:

Brilliant comment!

I guess for Nioh it is even more complicated than that. You can’t just use punch cards you have a plethora of additional moves to cater for: Kick cards, parry cards, riposte cards etc.

• Ghostwise says:

And once the studio is bought by EA, you’ll be able to use credit cards.

• timzania says:

I mean, more seriously it’s real debatable. If you mean “PC” in terms of “home computers” broadly, then in 1985 or so you were real likely to be playing with a joystick and/or keyboard on your Commodore and possibly had never even heard of a mouse. Maybe it’s not a “PC” until you’re in the MS-DOS world, where the mouse became common and joysticks never did, but those systems didn’t have much in common with today’s “PCs”.

• Sleepymatt says:

Well played Ghostwise!

Phasma Felis says:

That’s not a *personal* computer, duh. They mean Atari joysticks.

2. mukuste says:

I feel this is more to satisfy the misguided ideologues than for any real value, but hey, good for them.

• CronoRay says:

I feel like farting all over your comment, but hey everyone has there opinions :)

• Artea says:

The only one misguided here is you. You have to be to make that kind of statement. Offering keyboard and mouse support has nothing to do with ideology, it’s enabling basic functionality for a control scheme that is absolutely valid.

• durrbluh says:

While M&K interface is completely valid for many game genres, 3rd-person hack n’ slash is a pretty tenuous claim. But, if you insist on replacing the steering wheel of your 2018 FancyCar with a tiller, that’s your business. Your bizarrely eccentric olde-timey business.

• skyturnedred says:

I still prefer M&K because I like having precise control of the camera.

• ReverendPhoenix says:

You may gain camera precision (which is why its perfect for FPS and RTS style games) but you loose a great deal of character control when you replace a thumb-stick with WASD. Makes me wonder if you could combine a mouse with a control stick in the left hand, might be short on buttons though.

• Horg says:

The camera precision IS the character control when you use a mouse, or at least it should be. DS1 at launch had the mouse only rotate the camera and forced you to keyboard turn, and it was fucking horrible. The DSMouseFix patch changed that so you rotate the camera when stationary and turn the character when moving (as it should be in all 3rd person games), allowing for precise turning, and it was glorious. You don’t lose anything between controller and M+K unless the devs implement a shitty input system. It should also be noted that this hasn’t been an issue for the DS series since DS2 fixed it’s outstanding mouse issues, which were click delay problems, not camera issues. There were barely any complaints about the control system for DS3. As it stands, continuing to insist that 3rd person games are only viable on a controller is a futile attempt to breath life into a dead meme.

3. Zanchito says:

I’ve beaten all 3 Dark souls games with KB+M no probs (needed a mod for the first, but other than that, no problems). I can’t play with a controller efficiently at all. The patch is good news for people like me.

• Urthman says:

I’ve only played the first one so far, but using a mouse and keyboard almost seemed like cheating, it gives you so much better ability to keep track of where enemies are and watch out for traps and other surprises.

4. Halk says:

When repetitive strain injury will rear its ugly head, you mouse guys will come over to the dark side. It’s just a matter of time.

You should do it sooner though.

• aepervius says:

I get pain using a controller after barely 1 hour. I don’t get pain using a mouse. That is why , some idiotic comment about “misguided ideologues” non withstanding here, a controller only game is a no-go for me. And yes I played and finished DS with KB/M.

• LTK says:

Same here. I only use my controller for 2D games that don’t require camera control, and prolonged use causes my hands to cramp up painfully. Using M&KB I have no complaints unless I’m literally clicking non-stop for hours.

• Halk says:

Huh, did not know about that. I’ll be sure to support keyboard & mouse for my game then, even if they might be a bit crap.

5. DragonDai says:

I will almost certainly use controller…for the game. But for menuing I’ll switch on over to K+M, thanks. Games that let you switch between the two at will are just objectively superior to games that lock you into one or the other. No reason to poopoo K+M support.

• Sian says:

Menu controls aren’t mentioned, though. Let’s hope they didn’t forget about those. Or was that possible from the start?

6. BeefChesthair says:

For the people who want to play a flight sim with a steering wheel.

• Horg says:

You may have attempted to be facetious, but a wheel that can pitch and climb (they do exist) is one of the best control options for a flight sim.

• BeefChesthair says:

That’s because what you are talking about is a yoke and is commonly found in planes. It’s not a steering wheel and if your pilot ever calls it one I would suggest taking another flight.

• Horg says:

A pilot who calls his yoke a steering wheel would only be slightly off the mark, as the alternative nomenclature is ‘control wheel’. I would have more faith in that pilots ability to land a plane than your ability to land a sarcastic jibe.

7. Arglebargle says:

Didn’t buy it on sale recently because it didn’t have M&K as controller. Now, I must wait to find out if they allow you to invert the mouse.

Always suspicious of games that somehow can’t manage basic things like this.

8. Pois0nous says:

It’s a strange thing for a company like koei tecmo

9. hfching says:

In these days, i really pissed off by those people who have controller-superiority, if they really that despise mouse and keyboard, why don’t they fxxking throw away their mouse and keyboard, and use their holy controller to do everything on PC?
    using words from mukste, must play such type of game using controller? misguided ideologues!

• Hans says:

Settle down drama queen. Controllers are simply better for controlling 3rd person action games, just like mouse and keyboard is better for first person shooters.

• doodler says:

You were actually able to discern meaning from this jumble of a rant? How dare anyone prefer one control type over another for certain things! It is an outrage, we must all standardize.

• Horg says:

It’s one thing to prefer one option, quite another to tell the internet at large that their preferred option is inherently inferior without being able to prove why (just saying controllers are better is not proof -.-). The former you can keep to yourself, the latter is baseless snobbery.

• Pizzzahut says:

Agreed and I’m not sure where it has come from. It has long been known that M&KB is better. And not just a bit better. It’s objectively better for all FPS and third person games. There’s no question, but for some reason people have begun to believe the controllers are more accurate??

• UncleLou says:

„objectively better for third person games“

One analogue input vs four. M/KB is more accurate in one single area, but comes with a ton of compromises. It certainly isn’t “objectively better”.

For me, PC gaming is about picking the right tool. It’s about flexibility. You only limit yourself if you use kB/m for everything.

• Pizzzahut says:

Try aiming with a controller. Even the best players would be twice as slow at aiming with a controller than they would with a KB&M. In fact, controllers are so bad, auto-aiming is an accepted standard with them.

• UncleLou says:

I aim fine with a controller. The accuracy is a complete non-argument unless I am in a competitive situation against m/kB players.

Besides, this is the Nioh thread.