Steam Charts: There Is Hope Edition

Well sound the klaxons, unfurl the flags, hoist your main-braces and petards whatever they may be, 2018 is proving far more interesting for charting Steam games. Of course we can’t escape the three usual suspects, but beyond those this is quite the collection of interesting, independent, and novel games.

10. Subnautica

With the game out of early access and fully released tomorrow, it seems attention is already re-gathering. And well it should be, because this is just so flipping good. A survival game that understands sparsity isn’t the only route to success, that gets that stories encourage progress, but don’t need to take the front seat, and most of all, just lets you swim around surrounded by bonkers alien fishies.

There’s so much more to it than you might first think on starting, and it wipes the seabed with so many of its competitors. I do hope we see this one riding much higher next week with its official launch.

8 & 9. Dragon Ball FighterZ

Via Steam’s own witchcraft, this is somehow occupying both the 9 and the 8 spot this week, and that’s despite not even having launched yet. Enough people don’t care to wait for reviews to find out if they’re wasting their £45 (good lord), and presumably by its double-charting, even enough have spent the idiotic £75/£88 on the special editions of a game that might be terrible. Or good. They don’t know!

And what do you get for paying double? Astoundingly little. The FighterZ edition gives you eight extra characters to fight as and “a girls stamp pack”, and the ninety quid Ultimate throws in, er, the “Anime Music Pack” with 11 songs, available in March, and the “Commentator Voice Pack” in April. Good grief.

7. Grand Theft Auto V

Welcome back to another round of What’s Another Thing You Could Buy Instead Of GTA V Again?

What’s Another Thing You Could Buy Instead Of GTA V Again?

This bottle of unicorn tears.

6. Divinity: Original Sin 2

Now, here’s a dilemma. (Great cars, them Dilemmas -Ed.) DOS2 is a brilliant game, came out later last year, and fully deserves to ride high in the charts. But, stick around for too long and, well, I start to get bored.

I really had no strong feelings either way about GTA V or Counter-Strike GO. Ask me a year ago before I took over this most esteemed of columns and I’ve had said of either, “Sure, I hear they’re great, not really played them.” Ask me now and I’d say, “Those bloody games…”

I don’t want that to happen to DOS2! I don’t want to need to think of a snarky way of dismissing it every week as it inevitably takes up a spot in the best-sellers. I don’t want to start attaching the wrong screenshots. So what I’m going to need is for everyone to buy this splendid game, but to pace yourselves so it’s always the eleventh best selling game on Steam. Just organise this amongst yourselves, and everyone will be happier for it.

5. They Are Billions

They are billionaires, more like. When Fraser looked at this at the beginning of the year, he found himself equally enthralled and infuriated by it, but in the good ways.

Strategy meets tower defence meets survival meets the inevitability of zombies. And it all seems to rather work. And indeed, rather sell. This one’s sticking around for a bit, it seems.

4. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

BLAH BLAH BLAH NEXT.

3. Human Fall Flat

This remarkable success story continues, as the cute physics puzzler from nearly two years ago is experiencing the most extraordinary late surge.

Multiplayer was added in October last year, but it seems it was over Christmas that it caught the attention of the masses, estimated lifetime sales doubling since the holiday. I’m determined to find out more about this, so have donned my investigative hat, and will return with information.

2. Slay The Spire

We go now live to our reporter on the scene, one Brendan Caldwell, who is red-eyed and dizzy from staying up way past his bedtime playing this last night:

“Here’s how a single turn of combat might go in Slay the Spire: You are confronted by the Devil as imagined by Salvador Dali, so you instantly headbutt him, bash him with the hilt of your sword, then dropkick him in the head. You laugh and click “end turn”, knowing that a few more volleys like this will soon be his end. He is no match for y– Wait… what does it mean when your enemy becomes “enraged”? Oh no. OH NO.”

Gruesome scenes.

1. Plunkbat

I will never grow tired of Will Get Fooled Again by Max Tundra.

1. chuckieegg says:

Oh come on people, Yorkshire Gubbins made it to the 11th position this week. Just one last push and it will be famous!

• literarylottie says:

I’m happy to be one of the people who bought it this past week and helped propel it to that position. It’s really a brilliant (and funny) little game, well worth the $5/your regional equivalent.

2. Da5e says:

Great references, them ‘great cars, them dilemmas’ references.

• Ghostwise says:

The AP-isms in RPS are rather numerous, and other abbreviations.

3. rapchee says:

unexpected outcome of taking a glance at the steam charts: now i’m trying to find digital downloads for max tundra, it’s really fun

4. Megatron says:

Time for one last “Subnautica is amazing” comment before tomorrow’s official launch.

It really is THAT good. You’re dropped onto a vast ocean, the starcruiser that ferried you here a burning, radioactive wreck a mile or so away from you. You’re in a drop-pod lifeboat. It’s also a bit on fire. You’ve a hatch in the ceiling, accessible by a small ladder, and another hatch in the floor. You’re alive, but with no provisions or tools to speak of save for a first aid kit machine and a – thankfully – functional matter converter machine.

Oh, and a radio that’s steadily beeping at you.

From such a predicament the world opens up to you, but by bit. There are other pods out there to find, and perhaps you aren’t the first to have crashed here….

As you explore the beautifully realised ocean terrain, filled with wondrous flora and fauna that is often terrifying too, you learn what resources you have available and how to exploit them to not only ensure your survival but to build a home, and to explore further and deeper….

This is a game that literally AND figuratively has hidden depths.

After having played and loved Minecraft for so long, it was a revelation to encounter a survival/crafting sim with such a compelling narrative at play too. I think this is one of the very best games to have come out in a very long time. If you haven’t tried it, now’s a brilliant time to do so.

• lordcooper says:

It’s just a pity the prat from the Nekro debacle is involved, my refusal to support him in any form means I’m probably missing out on a pretty decent game.

• Crafter says:

Wow, I had to google in order to learn what this Nekro drama is all about. Looks like a nasty affair, I can see why people are pissed.

• Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

Without spoiling anything, there’s something about Subnautica’s fictional world of xeno ocean that elevates it above many other videogame worlds through:
      1) Providing not only constant updates on player’s current predicament, but also considerable consequences for not dealing with them within reasonable amount of time;
      2) Regularly pushing player a little beyond their or main character’s current capabilities in order to progress, but always providing enough menial tasks to keep players busy around their safe haven, if they don’t yet feel comfortable with going further away;
      3) Encouraging exploration of every inch of the world due to very limited (compared to many modern sandbox games, for example) view distance and always rewarding for extensive exploration, always keeping an intriguing or nasty surprise up its sleeve.

Wish them all the success in the world with this game and all of their planned expansions.
      Also, here’s an arctic tune from Ecco the Dolphin for no particular reason at all:
      link to youtu.be
      (no idea how RPS comment system shall deal with the raw web-link – haven’t posted one here before)

• Throwback says:

can I swear on this forum? Because fuck you, spoilers.

5. mike69 says:

Except that these aren’t the Steam charts?

Seriously literally anyone can (and does on a daily basis) see the Steam charts – they don’t need reporting, but if you are going to report them then can you at least make them relevent?

Megaton Rainfall, Slay the Spire, Black Desert online, FM2018 and MORE – all been in the chart for days. That’s like half the list being wrong.

When do you write this and why do you wait until it’s outdated to post it?

• Ghostwise says:

You must be new here, sweet summer child.

• John Walker says:

The charts Steam shows are erratic madness. These are the accurate weekly charts from their own internal system, for total revenue made by games.

• Pendragon says:

This is either really stupid or the best satire ever.

6. Lars Westergren says:

Subnautica launch livestream starts in 1 day and 13 hours. So looking forward to finally play through the whole game!

link to unknownworlds.com

7. Avetarx says:

There’s a picture of “Insurgency” instead of CS:GO
    Blah Blah Blah Gaming Journalism.

• John Walker says:

Just to check, you’re cool with the GTAV shot?

• CloroxCherryFlavor says:

Love you John

• unacom says:

I hate you for that one, John.
        I wouldn´t take GTA V on my system if they´d pay me for it.
        I would however buy a bottle of unicorn gin, if they´d let me have it in Germany.
        So I hope you didn´t put this one up on RPS.de

Qazinsky says:

Let me just quote a random part of the article here that may or may not have anything to do with that:

“I don’t want to need to think of a snarky way of dismissing it every week as it inevitably takes up a spot in the best-sellers. I don’t want to start attaching the wrong screenshots.”

• abstrarie says:

I can’t tell if you actually mean this, or if you are making fun of people who would make a comment like this. But just in case: I think it is kind of obvious that certain games are given the wrong screenshot on purpose for comedic effect here. Stick around and you get used to it.

8. Wublide says:

Mate that’ no cs:go screenshot, it’s an insurgency one!

• lancelot says:

It’s good to see so many new people discovering RPS this week.

• TychoCelchuuu says:

I think it’s hard to overstate how much I appreciate RPS trusting us enough to use the wrong pictures for stuff like this and Star Wars games for the sake of dry humor even though they’re inevitably going to confuse and piss off legions of people whose brains cannot conceive of a gaming news site making a joke that it’s metaphorically pointed out by a bright flashing sign that says “THIS IS A JOKE IT IS OKAY TO LAUGH.”

• Wublide says:

i’ve been lurking around for a while before deciding to make an account but still didn’t get the joke

• abstrarie says:

Welcome to the joke!

9. layop056 says:

I’m guessing that China is the reason Humans Fall Flat and Slay the Spire have appeared on the list unexpectedly.

(Note that if you’re logged in on Steam in your browser right now, the pages below will show you a chart in your region regardless.)

Current US chart: link to store.steampowered.com
    Current UK chart: link to store.steampowered.com
    Current Russia Chart: link to store.steampowered.com

You can see Humans Fall Flat is not so high on those list. But look at current China chart:

link to store.steampowered.com

Humans Fall Flat is just behind PUBG! It’s similar in charts for other Asian countries.

Also Steamspy’s geography tab shows that China has most owners of this game (34.73%): link to steamspy.com

Why it’s getting so popular recently in Asia? I dunno, maybe local streamers or something?

For Slay the Spire, the reason might be more straightforward. They recently added Chinese language.

• Daiz says:

With Slay the Spire it’s more the other way around – popular Chinese streamer(s) picked up the game and they started getting an influx of Chinese players, which made them bump up localization as a priority with Chinese among the main language choices (there were a lot of requests for it on the Steam forums and reviews). Streamers/Youtubers in general have likely played a huge part in the snowballing sales of the game – it’s currently the 11th most watched game on Twitch with over 20k viewers. On that note, it should definitely help that watching someone else play this game makes you itch to play it yourself too. That’s how I ended up buying the game myself – I watched a Scottish dude called Sleepcycles play it for a while until I couldn’t hold out anymore.

10. drewski says:

I miss What Is Rockstar Spending All of the GTA V Money On? already.

• Colthor says:

It was cancelled after Rockstar spent all the GTA V money on bribing John to stop telling people what they were spending all the GTA V money on.

• Romeric says:

Mostly just motorbikes with a rocket booster and retractable wings, a flying Delorian, loads of new planes including bombers and crazy flying fortresses, new properties to own and do missions with, ummmmm…

Actually, quite a lot of stuff, a lot of it completely ridiculous but in a good way. I know people are quick to dismiss it but it is good, enjoyable content they’ve added over the years if you can handle the negatives.

11. dagnamit says:

Hooray for Max Tundra! Thanks for posting that and reminding me of music that I love. I love everything on that album, it’s just so happy and bright. Good music for dark times.

12. Helixagon says:

On the topic of FighterZ, I suspect a lot of people have already played through the Xbone or PS4 beta. There have been big-name fighterfolk getting to preview the game and explore it mechanically for a while, on top of that. So basically, we already know it’s a solid and fun fighter. The only thing we don’t know about is the story mode – which doesn’t even matter to a lot of fighting game players.

Spending £30 on a season pass though … yikes.

Nauallis says:

Oh shit, there’s an island. Spoiler alert.

14. Carl Sagans Ghost says:

I feel like PUBG took the number one spot simply so you could refer to it as Plunkbat.

15. melancholicthug says:

What kind of monster would drink unicorn tears?

16. YanVal says:

CSGO blah blah next.. funny:)
    Btw that picture is from Insurgency..funny boy