Warhammer: Vermintide downs one more for the road

We may be just two weeks from the release of Warhammer: Vermintide 2, but studio Fatshark are supporting the original game right up until the bitter end. In fact, the latest update for the game adds that bitter end for you to experience first-hand.

Released as part of a free update, yesterday’s Patch 1.11 adds one final mission to the game, entitled Waylaid, which sets things up for the sequel in surprisingly dramatic fashion. Lohnar has a job for you, so it’s back to the Red Moon Inn for one last round.

Starting out at the inn where you normally pick your jobs and get your mission briefings, things very quickly and spectacularly go south in Waylaid, as the Skaven horde turn up to kick over your hideout, rat-ogres busting down the walls and stomping over your favourite tables. It feels shocking to see the one truly safe location in the game swarming with jabbering rat-men, but a fitting way to end things.

You’ll probably want to give it a try for yourself if you own the game, but if you’re not averse to spoilers (avert your eyes otherwise), then you’ll be happy to know that you do get to turn the tide of battle over the course of the mission, tracking the Skaven back to their massive laboratory complex built into the sewers right beneath the inn, and discovering an unusual ally along the way.

After a bit of a tussle, you and your band of heroes will find yourself in a bit of a cliffhanger situation, ironically caught in a rat’s trap and dropped through a glowing green portal to locations unknown, at least until Vermintide 2 comes out. The second game is also offering the first game’s Death On The Reik DLC as a preorder perk, if you haven’t managed to pick that one up over the sales season, either.

Vermintide 2 is due for release on March 8th, with early adopters getting the mentioned DLC for the first game, plus some early beta access. It can be picked up from Steam and Humble for £23/$30, minus the customary launch-window discount.

1. FizicsMcmanus says:

Community still leet? I remember you had to be johnny on the spot with proper pathing and knowing all the maps or it was kick before you got an item at the end or at least that’s what I remember people saying.

• Mecha_Rocky says:

Sadly yes. It’s a shame, really, as my usual 2 person/2 A.I. plays with just the one friend I normally smoosh rats with leave us with the same old low level loot, making the game of killing rats quite old after a bit. We’re hoping the sequel is a LITTLE more generous with the drops, as the grinding and expectations in this one created quite the noxious, elitest community.

• Applepaj says:

I’ll have to disagree with the community being “leet” (though I’ve met my share of it from some people) and knowledge of all spots being required. I’ve been around the first game since early beta and throughout it all logged about 200hours (yes, not a supreme amount but enough to get the jest of it) and I’ve met some really awesome people and had some incredible fun games, with friends and joining public lobbies. I have a simple approach; I swing my hammer and kill stuff, I protect my team members. Knowledge of spots? Pah! Granted, you pick up on most of it over time, but I can barely find my way through the easiest of maps sometimes, just having to much fun swinging that hammer and/or shield around. I’d say you’ve been very unfortunate in your matchmaking if anything else is the case, or I’ve been way to lucky. Looking forward to endless more glory in the sequel!

• sosolidshoe says:

You have absolutely been very lucky, I don’t think I’ve ever dealt with a matchmaking pool filled with so many self-important, arrogant, petulant, impatient, spiteful gits in my gaming lifetime. I met more friendly people while playing *EVE Online* than I did doing Vermintide without a premade. And it’s by no means an uncommon experience.

• Orageon says:

You sir, are not a Rocket League pleayer, or even Overwatch and these other fashionable multiplayer games I suppose ? Because in Vermin1 as I played with a friend and 2 randoms, we didn’t witness such behavior as much or that often, compared to other communities.

However I agree with a post above that the loot grind was not well tuned at all, especially in months after release, and this can trigger indeed a high demand on teammates when the failure of one can cause the misson to end, and the grinding to start again from the beginning.
            The loot as aspect in the first one was really the major drawback, although it was made a bit better with all the crafting and rerolling shennanigans as well as daily missons and rewards.

From what I played of the beta of vermin2, I cant say yet if that’s better. The game feels a bit harder but I might be rusty.

• Jack_Empty says:

It’s not about them not knowing the way, it’s because they’re runners. If you do as someone else has said and make sticking with the group your priority then no-one will ask for more. Run off for health, to open chests during a crisis or get gutted, alone, a mile ahead and you may feel the boot.

Qazinsky says:

This whole conversation tree confuses the hell out of me. Now, it was indeed a few years ago since I last played Vermintide, so maybe things have changed.

Me and my brother used to two man with bots, but then we decided to try to play with random people, and it was just buttersmooth. Easier than with bots, people showed up, did their thing, everyone got loot, everyone helped out. I can’t even remember how or even if you could kick someone then, that’s how little problem we had with the average players.

On the contrary, we learned secret spots and tactics from playing with others, that we wouldn’t have known otherwise.

• vahnn says:

I’ve played 80 hours of that game in the last year, spread over 3 or 4 sessions and never once encountered any behavior even close to this.

2. Vilos Cohaagen says:

I quite enjoyed this game, but not enough to want to play the second one. Too much grinding did for me.

3. Orageon says:

The diversification of classes and weapons is much needed because in the first one, it could feel repetitive. Not generous loot system, not enough variety in weapons and trinkets etc to play around with for synergies etc…
    With these new factors, I hope that creates enough gameplay variety to last longer through grinding levels. Also, more enemy types and encounters is good.
    All that’s left is to pay extra care to tuning the loot system, because that was the main gripe I had with the first Vermintide at launch…

Comment on this story