Quirky time-travelling nightclub-crawling tactical RPG All Walls Must Fall busts out of early access today

All Walls Must Fall

We’ve covered All Walls Must Fall quite a bit over the past few months, and it’s easy to understand why. Starting out veiled in mystery, this bizarre cyberpunk music-synced fusion of tactical gunfights and conversational infiltration does a lot to stand out.  It has evolved to a surprising degree during its time in Early Access, with developers Inbetweengames bolting on major new features with practiced confidence.

Befitting the name, All Walls Must Fall has burst forth from its confines and into the dazzling moonlight, fresh from the dance-floor and ready to launch. Within, we’ve got the cheekily named ‘coming out’ launch trailer. While earlier marketing may have coyly weaved around the central environment type of the game (gay nightclubs heaving with scantily clad men), this one goes all-in, leaving very little to the imagination.

I’ve played around a little with the release version of the game (although less than I would have liked), and the most striking change is the increased story focus, with early missions having a strong linear narrative and no shortage of story dialogue. There also seemed to be some decisions to make which I’m sure branch out into additional outcomes in later missions. The fact that you’re navigating scripted conversations instead of semi-random sequences makes the social ‘conflicts’ much more intuitive, too.

The difficulty ramp-up also seemed more intense than earlier builds, with time-warping foes introduced relatively early, turning firefights into a swirling, confusing vortex of bullets fired by people blinking back, forth and around time itself. If this was a squad tactics game it would be impossible to keep track of, but as you’re only controlling the one character, it’s surprisingly doable, and mesmerising to look at once the dust settles and you hit the button to drop the beat and review the entire fight scene to the music.

We’ll be providing a full Wot I Think on All Walls Must Fall before too long, but we’re currently swimming through an ocean of games. We’ll hop back in time to tell you when we’ll have that ready once we know when, but if you’re feeling daring and itching to get your murder-groove on, All Walls Must Fall is out now on Steam for £7.19/$10, with a hefty 30% launch discount.

1. baud001 says:

Is it bad that I don’t want to play this game because it features prominently gays?

I mean it look like the gameplay is fun and full of great gimmicks, but I this turn me off.

• Dominic Tarason says:

• baud001 says:

Why?

If you appreciate the game and have a good time, good for you. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t enjoy it or the devs are horrible persons for doing it.

• Xelias says:

You asked a question and got an answer.

• baud001 says:

And I asked another question and I didn’t got an answer. Perhaps he thinks it’s beneath him to spend to much time with the readers in the comment section?

• Crimsoneer says:

If you don’t like a game with gay men in it, that’s not okay. It also wouldn’t be okay if you didn’t like games with women in it, or trans people, or black people. If it makes you uncomfortable, you need to get over it.

• MadTinkerer says:

Shit like this is why I stopped reading RPS for a while. baud001 asks a transparently leading question and Dominic just completely falls into the trap and bluntly states what should have been written with tact. Why is it not okay to express disinterest in a game for content reasons? Why is it not okay to express disinterest in a game for ANY reason?

It’s not about sexuality, it’s about the attitude that everyone who reads an RPS article SHOULD want to play what RPS tells them they SHOULD want to play. I don’t care if RPS promotes games with edgy content. But you literally just said that baud001 is bad for not wanting to play a game.

The others in the comments, I’m not really worried about your reactions. Fanboys always think that people need to like what they like (I should know, I used to be a fanboy). You can totally say that baud001 isn’t allowed to have different personal tastes from you as much as you like. The problem I have is when it’s stated as an official RPS position.

And it was SUCH an obvious trap. Argh.

EDIT: BTW, this was the second RPS article I clicked on after the Star Control one. At least I didn’t have to read a lot to find out the place hasn’t changed.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Oh do come off it. It’s become so tiresome, this new rhetorical style by which people try to defend homophobia (racism, misogyny, etc.) as just being interested in exploring ideas or intellectual inquiry or diversity of thought or whatever. It’s patently transparent bullshit.

• Skiddywinks says:

Seriously? Guy doesn’t like the style of a game, therefore is a homophobe?

If they made a game about the Gay Pride parade, and I wasn’t interested, that would make me a homophobe? What if a woman doesn’t want to play any of the huge number or male-centric games? Misandrist?

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Thanks for a fairly decent Exhibit B.

OP said they “don’t want to play this game because it features prominently gays”. Their words. That’s a homophobic reaction – but then you are, I suspect, fully aware of that, and are just moving the goalpost to “style” (amusingly similar to how anti-queer Christian fundies used to love the euphemism of “lifestyle choices”) because you’re upset that some people think it’s not a good thing to be homophobic. Oh well! It’s not.

If you didn’t want to play a game about Pride because it’s about Pride, then… yeah, that would be a pretty good sign you’re at least a bit homophobic, by definition. If that also upsets you, then… I’m sorry you’re upset that words mean things?

• PoundCoin says:

Yep.

• baud001 says:

Why?

• Evan_ says:

I can think of two reasons:

1., It’s lame to skip a potentially good game that interests you because it has an element that makes you feel somewhat uncomfortable. We play games to feel some fake emotions those induce. These don’t have to be overly positive emotions – hell, there is a whole genre (horror) with the goal of making the player feel bad.

2., You may have to work with a gay man in the future. It can even happen that one of your close buddies introduces great gay fellow to the group. Hell, that close buddy himself might turn out to be gay. It’s ok if such a situation makes you feel uncomfortable, but the more it happens, the less noticeable it will be. You get to know a few gay fellows, and you’ll see that they are just people. People that will never snatch the cute girl at a party who you wanted to hook up with. Hell, they may even divert her towards you. Besides that, they are like anybody else, what’s not to like if you think that trough logically?

So if you don’t want to keep a pointless and somewhat lame aversion forever, you might as well face it first in a game, where it’s not socially awkward.

• baud001 says:

Thank you for your detailed and constructive answer.

Regarding point 1, I prefer to choose which emotion I want to feel. I don’t play horror games because I don’t want to feel bad. Same thing here.

For point 2: I know that gay are people because people are people. Gay in real life, at least those I’ve met, have never made me uncomfortable (perhaps because none made a pass at me). I can work with gay people (at least I think, it has not happened yet, as far as I know).

It’s just that I just want to play a game to have fun, not confront myself to my deep-seated aversion in the vain hope it might make a better person out of it.

• aepervius says:

Yet RPS as a whole is lambasting some games because their overly hetero sexualized content, like gauntlet like game with gigantic boobed women from which the name escape at the moment, or similar issues. What is good for the goose is good for the gay gander. If somebody is uncomfortable with an over sexualized women picture, then it should also be fine to be uncomfortable with what is a tad over sexualized (to one’s taste) male gay content. Neither option says anything about the person except their taste.

• DoubleG says:

Yeah

• Qabal says:

No, you’re fine. This may be an unpopular opinion, but not wanting to hang out at a gay nightclub isn’t the same as ‘hating on gays’. If you’re uncomfortable with it, that’s fine. You have a right to your own feelings.

• Javier says:

Not wanting to hang at a gay nightclub SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE there’s gays in there, it’s definitely homophobic. There’s a million other reasons you may not want to hang out there that doesn’t make you one, but it’s not like he didn’t specifically state which one makes him wary of going in. Openly stating how you don’t want to play a certain game SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE it prominently features gay characters? Yeah, that’s homophobic.

• Captain Narol says:

Yes, Gay are people like you and me and that’s shouldn’t refrain you. It’s just a game !

Make the walls fall, no segregation based on sexual orientation !!

• baud001 says:

Well it’s a gay club, I’m pretty sure it’s segregated on sex and on sexual orientation by design.

• Captain Narol says:

Heteros are welcome in Gay clubs, there is no segregation there only openess of mind, that obviously you lack…

• abstrarie says:

Not true. Gay clubs can be quite fun for straight people. My gf enjoys going to them because she feels safer and I get a free drink now and then which is cool. Of course too many straight people in there would kind of kill the vibe, so maybe its better that most stay away.

• Umama says:

I’ve been required to do all kinds of hetero stuff in PC games despite being a gay man (The Witcher 3 is probably my favourite game). Maybe you could return the favour and endure some pixelated shirtless gay dancing dudes? I played the game in early access, and it is quite fun.

• Skiddywinks says:

I don’t think anyone owes you playing a game with gay men in it because you’ve played games with straight men in them.

Personally I like the look of this game, and considering it is really quite cheap at launch I might even pick it up toot sweet. Setting and what not really doesn’t bother me, and makes a change from every other game I play. But if it turns someone off I don’t think that’s “bad”, just like I wouldn’t say you’re a bad person if Geralt’s straightness had turned you off playing TW3. All I’d say is that it was a shame you’re missing out on such a brilliant game (looks like the same could also be said of this game and baud).

• baud001 says:

Thank you. I might take a look at the game at the end, thank to your answer.

• Umama says:

I did mean that somewhat jokingly. Anyway, I’m glad baud decided to try it out.

• Skiddywinks says:

Fair enough, always hard to gauge on the internet. I’m always of the opinion that people should try every game, you never know what you might like. But there is no accounting for taste.

• MrEvilGuy says:

Yes. As you say, it “turns you off” but what are you doing jacking off to games in the first place?

• kament says:

Is it bad if I don’t want to play a game because it features prominently women? Is it bad if I don’t want to play a game because it features prominently black people?

Discuss.

• Skiddywinks says:

Not much to discuss. If you don’t like the look of a game for whatever reason, and don’t want to play it, that is entirely up to you. No judgement. I’d say you *should* try it, you should try all games, because you never know. But having tastes is not something anyone should feel bad about.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

“the look of a game”

Actual LOL

Like people are avoiding games with black characters because they have strong opinions on colour theory.

• Melonbrag says:

Why am I not surprised that three seconds worth of Googling reveals you post on /r/MensRights and is a GG:er?

And yeah, it was worth those three seconds for me because it saved me typing an actual longer elaborate reply to you, since I quickly discovered it’d be a waste to try to actually discuss issues with you.

• evahguh says:

don’t play it if you don’t like gays.
      nothing wrong with that.
      probably not gonna be missing out on much, actually. but that’s why variety is cool.

• Moogie says:

Only if you would feel differently if the club was full of women. If yes, then yeah, you’re looking at this with the wrong mindset. It shouldn’t matter whether it’s a straight or gay club because it’s not meant as an aid to you jacking off.

• automatic says:

It’s not bad, just strange you are so insecure about it to the point you have to ask other people’s opinions on your own feelings. Unless ofc the feeling you have is hate, then there’s some issues there because it will eventually relate to how other ppl feel around you.

• abstrarie says:

I don’t think it makes you an inherently bad person (if such a thing can even be quantified), but it is disappointing that someone could be driven away from a game that they seem to otherwise be interested in by something as harmless as the sexuality of the characters in it. I would hope that all rational people would be able to recognize that the discomfort you feel from this comes from mean spirited social conditioning, and that you would aspire to overcome such a useless bias. In regards to the game, I find the setting interesting because it is moderately original compared to most. I will definetly give it a shot. It having a lot of gay people in it doesn’t really make me feel anything one way or the other. That is the reaction I would hope most people would have.

• automatic says:

Great answer.

• FunkyB says:

Sorry for the “yes!”-style post, but this answer really is top notch.

One shouldn’t pretend that preferences don’t exist, but dismissing something over a fact so irrelevant as that it has gay people in it is a terrible shame.

If I had dismissed Life Is Strange over the fact that it prominently features teenage girls (of which I am not on two counts) then I’d have missed one of my most memorable gaming experiences in, well, ever.

• LennyLeonardo says:

This question has nothing to do with games. What you’re really asking is: “Is it okay to be homophobic?”, to which the answer is obviously “no”.

• Jeroen_Antineus says:

Nah, not really

• Phasma Felis says:

If you don’t want to play the game because you have no interest in the sexuality that it focuses on, and you have reason to believe that it would dominate the experience, that’s probably okay. I don’t play games about seducing big-titty anime girls because that’s boring and shallow to me.

If you don’t want to play the game because it grosses you out to be reminded that gay people exist, that’s not okay.

2. Xelias says:

This game has a good concept but I find that the mixture of 2D and 3D fails completely, they often try to have an action camera to “show off” your cool action scenes and you look at carboard cutouts awkwardly moving around it just looks silly.

• abstrarie says:

I actually like that. For people who have fond memories of Ps1 era rpgs of this 2d on 3d art style (final Fantasy tactics, xenogears, etc) I think it looks pretty cool.

3. April March says:

I really want a demo of this. Every piece looks great, but I fear they won’t fit together well.

It mentions Crypt of the Necromancer as one of its influences. Does it require any sort of rhythm or is it regular turn-based? Because I am literally unable to play CotN.

• Dominic Tarason says:

No rhythm is required but (by default, you can turn it off, I believe) you do have a time limit to perform actions of a few beats, and if you fail to act, time just moves forward anyway.

The ‘pass time’ action is dancing, so sometimes you’ll just groove on down in the middle of a gunfight.

4. Richard_from_Winnipeg says:

This game’s play mechanics look very intriguing and engaging. Reminds me of Shadow Watch, the Tom Clancy game, but mixed with something like CotND. And I have no comment regarding the graphics looking like 2d sprites on a 3d background as I haven’t looked closely enough.

In regards to Baud and his preferences I think it’s mostly to his own as long as he still treats people civilly. People have different comfort areas and have different reasons for gaming. Many of my church friends would never go out dancing with me. And many of my dance friends would never come to church with me. And that’s fine as it would be foreign and uncomfortable and many don’t seek that in their leisure. It’s problematic though when arrogance or pride or ignorance disables the ability to converse and see each other with compassion and empathy.

I’m not sure how I feel yet about the game. My initial reaction was I have so much else to play. Also, am I condoning a behavior/lifestyle/perspective I disagree with by supporting the developers if I play this game? But it does seem very unique (guess I’ll wait for a WIT). Should I publicly share these kinds of positions? I think someone can disagree with someone else and still respect and allow the freedom to be who they are and to do/be different.

I get on great with church people – whom I also feel are often too closed off, but as a latin dancer I’ve also partner danced with gay guys (which is fine) and yet not been completely comfortable when I’ve been remarked upon by men (I guess I somewhat understand being hit on/propositioned, a person doesn’t know where another stands until there’s some sort of discussion); it’s more so how they do so that matters. Am I spoken to with respect and dignity or not? Do I speak to them with respect and dignity of personhood?

Baud, if you’re not just into the setting that’s fine. My girlfriend doesn’t fancy Sci-Fi and that’s fine. But she’s also missing out on many great ideas and themes. You may miss out on some great gameplay here. If it’s just preference then don’t worry, but you may want to closely examine why those are your preferences and if they are based on invalidating otherness, though that’s bold of me to say and likely incorrect on my part.

I guess to me another question this raises that I didn’t consider at first is this: does this setting normalize or make it seem like violence against homosexuals in clubs is standard modus operandi? With the shooting in Orlando being motivated by arrogance and pride and bigotry does this game then give a fantasy outlet for that? Does it glamorize it?

In someways it becomes a broader conversation of whether games glamorize violence generally and whether that then encourages violence, a much larger discussion outside the scope of this particular post.

5. golochuk says:

Is it bad that I don’t want to play this game because it isn’t turn based?

• Dominic Tarason says:

But.. it is? There’s a turn time limit, but you can turn that off if you really need the time to think.

• shde2e says:

I think it’s a reference-thingy to the big comment chain up above.

• golochuk says:

I think that option exists to placate me, rather than entertain anyone.

But also I was huffed because I went onto steam and added this to my wishlist before realizing it’s some kind of experimental rhythm game slash tactics mashup. So I removed it and wrote a snark.

6. FuriKuri says:

It’s not a good game.

First and foremost, it’s buggy as hell and I’ve had 2 campaigns get screwed because the procgen failed and didn’t spawn objectives correctly. Reason enough to avoid it as-is since your only option is to restart from scratch.

Secondly, it’s just not that fun. The execution is off almost throughout, the whole dance/beat thing just doesn’t quite work leading you to spend ungodly amounts of time watching Kai shuffle awkwardly and slowly around the map and the replays after you ‘drop’ a combat are tiresome at best and often leave the camera stuck behind some scenery.

The balance is totally off; the only weapon worth taking other than the starting pistol seems to be the rifle and the rewind function that turns Kai back to the previous turn but not the world is so easily spammed you can cheese your way thru any conflict without much in the way of penalty (essentially it gives you near-infinite ammo/health even if Kai ‘dies’).

None of the hacking mechanics are worth bothering with, especially since the game currently seems to give you the ‘pacifist’ achievements regardless of bodycount, and with the lacklustre writing/translation the conversation system makes as much sense as a box of soapy frogs even with the ability to rewind it to explore other outcomes.

To put it mildly, I’d say it probably needed a (lot) more polish prior to busting out of early access. More harshly, this is the latest on my corpse cart of “steam games that took me more than 2hrs to realise they sucked”. At least it was only a fiver, I guess.

Ultimately, the gay cyberberlin gimmick ain’t enough to save it, especially as it gets tiresome after the first few levels in the “seen one, seen them all” way that poorer procgen implementations suffer from.

• MrUnimport says:

Yeah. Ultimately there isn’t a lot of content. I’m happy enough to dive into something short and interesting for only a fiver, but I wouldn’t recommend it to folks. Slick, stylish, and I don’t think I’ve ever played a game that lets me flirt with so many dudes, but there isn’t nearly enough mechanical depth as I’d hoped.

7. Geewhizbatman says:

Here’s a couple things that turn me off some games, which I hear makes me a bad human and instead some sort of frustratingly unique ice sculpture: Guns of the “just cause” variety. Women, particularly Lara Croft, being strangled, impaled, shot, stabbed, dropped into misty nothingness, being squished under large rocks, and otherwise mauled for ghoulish gawking. Making sex workers/prostitutes/courtesans/ladies and gentlemen of the evening being turned into endlessly spawning money pinatas. Teaching 12 year olds new curse words mid-simulated military themed bloodlust over the interwebs. Female/feminine bodies being linked to “temptation” and the implication that men are powerless in the face of their own genitals. And yet, somehow, I manage to enjoy 99% of video games. I think anyone worried about the gay male theme waved haphazardly nearby in an outlandish future (gay males being visible and surviving bullets being the constant backdrop to even their spaces of relaxation, what will those sci-fi writers think of next?) will still have a wealth of other upstanding content to absorb.