Creative Assembly is hiring to produce a tactical shooter

Creative Assembly

As much fun as I’ve been getting out of the Total War: Warhammer games recently, I keep wishing that The Creative Assembly would branch out into other genres again. To this day, Alien: Isolation is one of the most mechanically and thematically exciting survival horror games ever made, and proof that they’re a flexible studio. Someone at CA agrees, as a slew of job postings on their careers site include repeated mention of a ‘brand-new and exciting First Person Tactical Shooter IP’ being produced at their primary studio in Horsham, UK.

Beyond these job postings we have no idea what Creative Assembly have planned, what systems the game is likely to come out for (although it’d be a bit daft not to release on PC in this day and age) or when we’ll be seeing anything concrete from it but it’s still good to see them branching out again. My thoughts keep coming back to Alien: Isolation, which, under its nigh-perfect movie aesthetics was a game as mechanically clever as they come, as you can see for yourself in AI researcher Tommy Thompson’s (slightly spoileriffic) breakdown of its systems below.

All that said, Creative Assembly’s attempts to branch out haven’t always been so successful and well-received. Back in the era of the original Xbox, they brought us Spartan: Total Warrior, ostensibly a Dynasty Warriors-inspired hack n’ slasher that just happened to be the first in its genre where you’re more likely to be stunlocked to death than the enemy soldiers. Viking: Battle for Asgard was a bit better, but still felt a little creaky in-between its spectacular setpiece battles.

We’ll be keeping an eagle eye on the studio, and hope that they’ve got some surprises lined up for us next week at E3. Failing that, Warhammer is plenty good to fill the time. Those interested in being more on the history-making than reading side of the equation can always throw your CV at Creative Assembly over here, too.

1. mitrovarr says:

What’s their roadmap after this? A zombie crafting/survival game, a hero shooter, and then a battle royale?

• Uncle Fass says:

Similar thoughts sprung to mind upon reading the title but I think ‘tactical shooter’ has a lot more breathing room and flexibility than a battle royale or zombie crafting/survival game. They could also be vague on purpose as to not give anything away, for all we know the game could do something really interesting they don’t want to spoil just yet.

2. pookie191 says:

Considering how well Alien Isolation turned out consider my interest perked.

I still remember being chased by some heavily armed survivors who were shooting at me, I ducked into a room and hid in a closet. They charged into the room and actually shot a couple of rounds into the closet and injured me which I still think was the Ai just doing it “just in case” I was in there.

I didn’t open the door because I knew what was coming.
    Attracted by the noise the alien slid out of a ceiling vent and slaughtered the lot of them in front of me, looked very closely at the closet when I was then disappeared back in to the vent.

To this day I have never experienced an organic AI react like that before or since

3. TheRaptorFence says:

Maybe I’m jumping the gun, but if they still have the Alien IP their tactical FPS might be set in the Aliens universe.

An Aliens: Colonial Marines that’s not shit AND is made by Creative Assembly? Thoughts?

4. jellydonut says:

Please be some sort of spiritual sequel to the good old R6 and SWAT games. We can’t let Ubisoft keep sullying the good name of Rainbow 6 with no other recourse.

5. Crazy_Gweilo says:

Nice to see you giving a shout out to AI and games, that YouTube channel is criminally low in views for its quality.

Comment on this story