The 100 best-selling games on Steam in 2018 so far

biggest-steam-games-2018

We’ve just passed the half-way point of 2018, so Ian Gatekeeper and all his fabulously wealthy chums over at Valve have revealed which hundred games have sold best on Steam over the past six months. It’s a list dominated by pre-2018 names, to be frank, a great many of which you’ll be expected, but there are a few surprises in there.

2018 releases Jurassic World Evolution, Far Cry 5 Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Warhammer: Vermintide II are wearing some spectacular money-hats, for example, while the relatively lesser-known likes of Raft, Eco and Deep Rock Galactic have made themselves heard above the din of triple-A marketing budgets.

The complete list is below, or you can find a more visual galley, replete with buy me-buy me-buy me Steam store links over here. The more interesting page for those of us whose jaws remain defiantly stuck to the rest of our faces in response to the news that a lot of people bought Plunkbat, CSGO and GTA V is this one, which breaks down by month which bona fide 2018 new releases sold best. Good work Genital Jousting, Into The Breach (how did that not make the overall best-sellers list? Scandal!) and Monster Prom, for example.

Valve don’t give out any sales details, because they never do (information control is everything), but they do split the overall bestsellers into categories. As such, anything under ‘Platinum’ almost certainly generated unfathomable wealth, while those under Bronze paid off a fair few mortgages. Here we go – and if you want to read any of our coverage on any of these, just click the tag in question below.

Platinum

Europa Universalis IV
Planet Coaster
Shadowverse CCG
Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr
Watch Dogs 2
Call of Duty WWII

To compare this to last year (as in the whole of 2017), looky-here. Alternatively, for RPS’s own Wot To Play recommendations, take your pick from this lot:

The best PC games of all time
The 50 best FPS on PC
The 50 best strategy games on PC
The 25 best co-op games ever made
The best space games on PC
The best non-violent games
The 14 best Metroidvania
The 10 best hacking, coding and computing games
The 25 best horror games on PC
The 23 best VR games
The 50 best free games on PC
The 10 best games based on movies
The 25 best stealth games on PC
The 25 best action games on PC
The 50 best RPG on PC
The 25 best adventure games ever made
The 25 best puzzle games on PC
The 20 best management games on PC

phuzz says:

This makes me realise how few games I’ve bought this year (I managed to not buy anything in the Steam sale).
    Fallout 4 and AssCreed:Oranges between them have probably accounted for four or five months of this year (both bought on the cheap), and I find I’m just playing for less time these days, maybe ten hours a week?
    Sorry game makers.

• shrieki says:

yeah- this year i think most is boring,too expensive or already in my library. getting kinda old and gnarly here :D

but i look forward to play the stalker Dead Air free standalone later. last night i enjoyed getting radiated,drunk and die alot.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I bought loads of games in the past, so now I’m trying to do the other thing you’re supposed to do with games besides buying them, i.e. actually playing them. I’ve roughly half of my meager 167 game Steam Library left, so I’m making headway, even if the pace slows sometimes because reasons.

2. DodoSandvich says:

I’m suprised to see TES: online in the gold catagory. Is it really that popular?

• Imperialist says:

its actually one of the biggest. WoW still rides ahead almost purely by the grace of its Asian playerbase, and FF14 is somewhere nearby. It has surpassed GW2 in terms of playercount.

particlese says:

That one caught my eye as well. It’s a decent/good/genuinely-fun game with plenty of franchise power behind it, but I didn’t suspect it was doing that well, either. Congrats, ZOS.

3. TotallyUseless says:

So this is just 6 months of 2018? Damn that’s amazing for some games, like EuTS2 on Silver considering it’s an old game but having a higher ranking than some of the AAA games on the bronze category.

4. TotallyUseless says:

Kudos to guys over at Divinity and EuTS2; their rank simply proves that Divinity is a far better C-RPG for the past year or so than anything made by Obsidian; and EuTS2 is the best simulator out there compared to the cash grab like Farming Simulator.

• Primislas says:

I don’t know how to break it to you but Deadfire has come out only recently. X-) Aaand a lot of people didn’t need to buy it as they already backed it via kickstarter.

5. BockoPower says:

They should’ve created a list with games released this year only. Too many of these are already boring to see again in charts. And doing a list for some most played genres as well even though I guess that will mean some Steam employees will have to actually work.

6. geldonyetich says:

Good God, it’s surprisingly monotonous having popular and successful games being thrust back into the spotlight. Like an annoying earworm, I hear about people playing these games every day.

Well, good job making a solid product anyway. I had my fun with about 75%+ of this list.

7. Neurotic says:

House Flipper and The Sims 3 stand out there, to me.

8. April March says:

Seeing a huge list of game names takes me back to when games getting past Greenlight was an article-worthy event.

9. drezworthy says:

War Thunder has been getting nearly all my time and money. I keep Humble Monthly though, just so it feels like christmas once a month XD

10. InternetBatman says:

Good to see Pillars 2 there; I’m surprised people are still buying Terraria.

11. Gameaholic says:

While I like that they did separate the lists, the fact is only the list including all games regardless of release is important. it basically shows that the games released in 2018 are mostly undesirable crap. Having an arbitrary cutoff date also penalizes games that were released slightly before that date. The industry is stuck in a echo chamber, and triple A titles are really not very good lately and certainly not deserving of the price tag.

12. Gangsteria says:

Looks like people prefer to play Terraria rather than COD WW2

13. PegasusOrgans says:

I have over a thousand games on steam, and more on gog and other platforms so I more than made up for my young pirating days but god can I ever finish my library? I doubt it. Sad that a game like Deadfire sold less than some indie games i’ve never heard of… Just way too many indie games on the market.

14. Rubberduckyofdeath says:

To think, DOW3 could have easily been on this list, if they had only listened.

Comment on this story