Duke Nukem Forever: New Screens

By Alec Meer on September 28th, 2008 at 1:45 pm.

I decided not to show the one with an arse in it

Blurry low-res screens, but screens nonetheless. Two of ‘em, one showing Duke and some cavorting womenfolk, and the other some sort of tenta-beast thing. Duke4.net has ‘em, acquired by one of their members by unlocking every achievement in the new (and reportedly excellent) Xbox Live Arcade port of Duke Nukem 3d.

Still not doing much to wow me – especially after that grrrrrrubish teaser trailer – but there is a bit of bottom on show, which someone will probably get excited about.

, .

1. Ian says:

Grainy shots of computer-generated ladybum?

That’s a little too exciting for a Sunday.

2. garren says:

Hail to the king baby! But I won’t get my hopes up of seeing this in a long time (if ever), because I would just get disappointed in waiting so long.

3. The Hammer says:

Does the background of the alien shot remind anyone of Half Life 2?

4. Greg Wild says:

I can’t believe it’s finally coming!

Oh wait. It isn’t.

5. CrashT says:

Even though I’m not naive enough to expect to actually see it anytime soon this could be the perfect era for the Duke to make his return.

He might be in the same mould as the man mountains from Gears Of War et al, but Duke doesn’t take himself anywhere near as seriously, the current generation is ripe for some decidedly un-PC satire.

6. SPEEDCORE says:

They must be delaying getting fired.

7. PillsburyDeeBoy says:

To this day, I still have no idea why people were crazy about Duke Nukem 3D, even. I thought it was immature drivel – and for someone who was like 10 at the time, that is saying a hell of a lot.

The teaser trailer for DN Forever was enough to write this off for good.

8. Greg Wild says:

Agreed CrashT. I’m so sick of the archetypal muscle and metal bound blokes with absolutely zero personality huge numbers of (especially console) action games feature… it’d be fantastic to have the Duke around to show them how you REALLY do an action hero.

9. Bas says:

I’m surprised people still give them money to make this game. After 11 years (with most likely more to follow), they would have to sell an impossible amount of copies just to break even. Then there’s obviously going to be a metric shit ton of pirated copies.
    If I was the publisher, I would have closed down 3DRealms years ago.

My prediction: it will release some day, it will disappoint, sales will be bad, and 3Drealms will blame piracy, following the closure of the studio.

10. wien says:

3DRealms are self-funded and have been for a good long while. They also have a tiny team so they probably haven’t spent any more cash on DNF than other huge developers spend on their games.

11. Jim Rossignol says:

Also 3DRealms sold Max Payne to Rockstar, which probably made a few bob.

12. Greg Wild says:

I don’t imagine they’ve spent *any* cash on DNF in at least half a decade :P

Though part of me secretly wishes it would appear in a covert release… suddenly appearing on shop shelves everywhere. Just to prove me wrong :D

13. delfino furioso says:

omg I LOVE Mickey Rourke!

14. sana says:

Hooray for octo-brains!

15. Yhancik says:

@The Hammer :

Ah! Maybe DNF is an HL2 mod… that’s why it’s not getting released.
    (needs more weapons renders, though)

16. Ergates says:

I wonder if Diakatana is nearing completion too then…

17. wien says:

Um, Daikatana was released over 8 years ago and was horrible, apparently (never played it myself).

18. Bobby says:

Wien, DNF’s development actually isn’t self-funded. Back in april 2006 take two had already paid $4.25 millions to 3D Realms according to a Take Two financial report.

19. hungSolo says:

Is there back bum or front bum on show? Because I’m not clicking for a back bum.

20. Iain says:

My sources tell me that Duke Nukem Forever is going to ship as a launch title for the Infinium Phantom. But then, my sources are mad pixies who live in the tree stump at the bottom of my garden. I wouldn’t pay any attention to them.

21. MeestaNob! says:

I reckon if we start now, only working 3 days per week, designing for 12 months, the coding until we have 20 1 hour levels, 40 guns for the player, full ports for all consoles and even Mac, and even implemented our own content delivery system alah Steam we could STILL have our own game out before these arsehats at 3D Realms.

I’m excited by Duke, and to be honest revel in it’s ludicrous anti-politically correct vibe, but COME ON, it doesn’t take 10 years to make anything. ANYTHING.

I reckon the hadron collider will have yielded beneficial scientific results and discoveries before these guys release anything playable.

22. phuzz says:

Isn’t the release of DNF down in Revelations as a sign of the coming of the apocalypse?

23. Toby says:

Interesting.. those are in game shots, and they actually look quite good. But really? release some kind of video of in game footage if you want any kinda of hype reaction. Its going to have to be released next year, if not they’ll hav to redo all their art again, so come on!
    The 2003 trailer got me fuking excited it looked amazing at the time.. this looks alright, but why not release an actual teaser video – so that people will actually believe there is a game there.

24. The LxR says:

Oh, come on, people. :) They aren’t making it for 10 years – the game has been restarted from scratch, when they needed to switch engines. The actual development of this iteration took 3 or 4 years, if I’m not mistaken. Actually, they should have released it back in 2001, the trailer showed it was a whole lot better than most games of 2008 back then.

25. Password Recovery says:

i like it thank you sharing information

26. Powerpoint Recovery says:

Your writing is good. In this I learned a lot! Thank you

27. Powerpoint Recovery says:

Nice post, thanks. I really love it

28. Powerpoint Recovery says:

thank you for sharing some usefull information

29. Powerpoint Recovery says:

it is great blog………….

30. Access Password Recovery says:

You are very professional in this area ! I agree with your point of view!