The Secret World: First Images

By Jim Rossignol on September 10th, 2009 at 5:01 pm.

The Secret World is fast becoming the most promising MMO title on the horizon. The first handful of images are here, and you can click on any of them for a hi-res version of the full thing. For more information check out our older interview here and brand new PvP, combat, and faction info here.

, .

1. Ian says:

Thems’re certainly some large beastie-things.

2. vasagi says:

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

3. Dominic White says:

Gotta say, I like the look of that ‘urban’ earth golem. Animated straight out of the ground, reinforced concrete and all.

This one is going to hinge on the combat engine for me. I’ve still got my fingers crossed and hope against hope that they look at the Monster Hunter games, as they absolutely nail the feeling of being a squishy human hunter fighting a massive supernatural menace.

4. The Pink Ninja says:

Okay, neat I guess.

But how it’s combat works is what will sell it to me or cause critical levels of “Do not want”

The animations look a bit stiff but it’s not finished and I don’t that much care (Though that black dude looks very shiney)

Also, those wasteland goons look like passive Mobs

And the game looks less secret urban fantasy, more post apocalypse to me.

5. Jayt says:

Pretty pictures, but I want gameplay vids :>

6. Azhrarn says:

*prays gameplay is actually decent, rather than just hidden in a nice looking package*

7. Danje says:

8. mandrill says:

holy crap thats alot more gorgeous than I was expecting.

looking forwad to this immensely.

9. JohnArr says:

They managed to mix in a little STALKER? Sweet!

10. Tei says:

Image 1)

Theres 1 million ways to draw a rock gole, and 2 million materials to imagine a golem.

If you model a 3D golem, and look llike a WoW golem, you probably want that.

Image 2)
    Borderlands is the new WW2?

Image 3)
    I have already played that game. But I don’t remenber the name.

11. Pantsman says:

The most promising MMO on the horizon, from the creators of Age of Conan!

12. vasagi says:

@tei

im sure what your on about, but keep doing it!

13. linfosoma says:

I suscribed for the beta, hopefully they will let me test the game.

14. PleasingFungus says:

Re: second screenshot.

At what point, fellow on the left (“Bob”), did it occur to you that firing a shotgun at a fifty-foot tall, thousand-ton animate mass of reinforced concrete would be a good idea? Where did your life go wrong, Bob?

Then again, the other two are holding swords, so maybe Bob’s doing pretty well after all.

(Also, Tei… Tei. These comments threads really wouldn’t be the same without you.)

15. ColdCoffee says:

Don’t care for the AoC engine. Reminds me why I dislike DoomIII\Quake4\RAGE – to much of a plastic feel. Everything should look like TF2 till we have powerful enough gpu’s to pump out something decent. Really a sucky time in the gaming time-lime. Halfway to something realistic but not quite.

16. Bhazor says:

Pretty please don’t have a monthly subscription please. Please.

I don’t really care about the combat, Dreamfall was terrible for instance, as I’m in it for the Tornquist. Paying per month to explore that setting would be a real joy kill.

Reply to Vasagi

Clint Eastwood/ Commander Vimes squealing like a girl is a neat image.

17. Alex says:

A werewolf-ish creature in a dump? Shades of VtM: Bloodlines. :)

18. El_MUERkO says:

looks nice to me, but if names and health numbers start floating over things heads then i dont give a fuck about it

19. The Pink Ninja says:

“Pink Ninja. Amazing. Wow! You can judge the animation from some still images!???! ;)”

You can tell from the stiff, artificial way some people are standing or holding their limbs

20. reaper47 says:

Meh. Another MMO.

For a good year now, I secretly wish the whole MMO bubble would burst. Those announcements are getting so boring.

21. Heliocentric says:

Yeah, another game i’d love to play pissed away trying to squeeze monthly subscriptions out of a narrowing band of people who are not already hook (in more than one sense) to a different mmo.

22. We Fly Spitfires says:

Lovely screenshots. Let’s just hope it survives the curse of Funcom :)

23. hydra9 says:

Looks like the mutant love-child of STALKER and Left 4 Dead. Rather beautiful, and certainly the most appealing MMO, based on these shots.

24. Howl says:

Fantastic setting but it’s by Funcom and I’ve already been through AO and AoC launches with them so I’m not even going to worry about this until long after release.

25. Shalrath says:

OTS cam, nooooooooooooooo…

26. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Please please please turn out awesome, Secret World.

27. Brian says:

HOLLY MACARENA!

28. malkav11 says:

Honestly, I thought Anarchy Online was the best MMO out there in the old-school Everquestian “kill a lot of stuff for no particular reason” model. Age of Conan has some issues, but I enjoyed myself – I’m not playing it because my friends did not. So as far as I’m concerned, Funcom’s two for two, MMO-wise. I’m honestly less excited about Secret World precisely because of the stuff they’re talking about classlessness and horizontal advancement. and so on. I hear a lot of big ideas but so far nothing about how they plan to make that actually enjoyable, and I’m not convinced that I’m suited for that sort of thing even if it’s well-made.

29. Kast says:

A reinforced concrete golem… ohhhh yes, I am so stealing that for a World of Darkness game.

30. noom says:

Yay.

31. Choca says:

Ok, I’m officially interested.

32. Red Bull Hats says:

Red Bull Hats”better your family.better your life”

33. Abercrombie UK says:

Generally I do not post on blogs, but I would like to say that this post Abercrombie UK really forced me to do so! really nice post.

34. Myblogy says:

The colors were so simple and also the designs but it can attract people.