MineCraft: Mine The Gap, Day 2

By Quintin Smith on September 15th, 2010 at 3:00 pm.

This week I’m playing indie mega-hit MineCraft. Want to know whether you should be playing MineCraft too? Have a read of my adventures and see whether they (figuratively) set your heart alight. Day 1 can be found here. As for Day 2, it features swordplay, spelunking and strange explosions, plus I accidentally trap myself in a trap of Bond villain proportions.

When we left me I’d buried myself alive on a tiny island, far from my home of Stupid Cave, because I thought it would be a good idea to “go” “exploring”. Now the sun has set, there are monsters above ground, and I’m BORED. I said in the last entry that I couldn’t tunnel in any direction, because I might tap water and flood my protective chamber. That is entirely true. I decide to do it anyway.

Cautiously, listening out for monsters, I nuzzle through the dirt and pop out here, on the edge of the island. It dawns on me that I have no idea how water acts in MineCraft. I’m dying to find out. I know what they say about curiosity and the cat, but what they don’t tell you about that same cat is that he was popularly considered a cool cat among cats and boned loads of lady cats before curiosity kicked his ass.

I remove the last cube of dirt.

Fuck! That is unexpectedly awesome! Water goes pouring through the gap I cut, carrying me bodily back down my tunnel…

…and deposits me right back at the point where I buried myself. Huh. Looks like there are some rules about how far water can travel over porous terrain. Cute. I quickly wall up my experiment for fear that creatures will stumble into the stream and be carried straight to me on a kind of deadly travelator.

I kill the rest of the hours before dawn re-arranging dirt and chewing my fingernails before I finally start hearing pained grunts above me. The sun must be cooking all those nocturnal monsters. Excellent! I wait for the grunts to stop entirely, then punch out my roof.

Sunlight! I find myself somewhat stunned. It’s incredible how evocative games can be when they model nature, then make you rely on it. Changing seasons are actually on Notch’s to-do list for MineCraft. I can’t wait. I pull myself out of the hole, and-

- wait. What the Hell is that? Why is it moving? I draw my sword. My pitiful, stone sword.

Jesusing Shit! What the fuck? It is horrible! Look at the murder in its eyes! Those are eyes that know nothing but murder. Look at the nightmarish, peg-like legs. A monster. A real one! This will be my finest hour.

As it walks out from under the tree it bursts into flames, showing me the reason it survived sunrise was because of the shade. In the duel that follows the creature collapses after a few swings from my sword, but not before getting in a lone swipe that tears off half my health.

Shaken, I find my way back to Stupid Cave after a scant fifteen minutes of fevered searching. There, I take the few chunks of iron I’ve managed to find through all my mining and craft this:

An iron sword. Yeah, that’s right! No more mister stone-sword guy. This land is after my blood, and I don’t intend to let go of it without a fight. A slightly longer fight. I also go to the forge and grill the pork steaks I’d collected from various unfortunate local pigs. Scarfing one down, I’m almost back to full strength. I leave the rest in my pockets for later. Nobody said survival was sanitary. Finally, I make six dozen torches. I have no intention of running out mid-mission.

What mission, you ask? Well, I have an ulterior motive in gearing up with sword & steaks. In the comments of my last MineCraft post, people said that I was much more likely to find ore in natural caves as opposed to “mining like a baby,” as one jerk put it. Well, I’m not scared. I mean, I am, but whatever. Let’s go find a cave.

I seal up Stupid Cave with natural stone blocks, giving it more of a secret HQ vibe. Now nobody will find my home! Unless they somehow knew where to dig. And I can’t see how they’d know where to dig. It’s just some steps leading up to some torches. Would could be more natural than that?

On the way to look for a natural cave I’m distracted by some coal deposits. I’ve only just finished stuffing my pockets (mmm, coal-coated pork steak) when I notice the sun. God Dammit!

It’s already setting. Rubbish time management on my part. I’ll have to go back to Stupid Cave and go on my cave hunt first thing in the morning.

Meanwhile, I do a little more mining. My mine is getting ridiculous at this point. Not ridiculous by professional MineCraft community standards. By MineCraft community standards, it’s the work of an idiot child, but by my standards it’s ridiculous. Look, I took a video:

If you get a dungeony vibe of that, know that one of the features Notch is planning for MineCraft is an in-depth Adventure mode, with dungeons, monster spawners, monsters and chests, where the adventurers can’t dig as they would normally. Presumably this could, at some point, become a mode where one player makes a dungeon and the others invade it. The current build of MineCraft is only an alpha, remember.

That night I also add a practical feature to Stupid Cave: a garbage chute. All the rock and gravel I unintentionally amass while I’m mining can be thrown directly out of my inventory in the form of a floating pick-up, but as long as it’s all the way down there I’m in no danger of accidentally picking it back up. Sorted. Course if I ever fall down there my inventory will become flooded with about 400 cubes of rock, but I’m not thinking about that right now.

I also find a little more iron in the course of my night’s digging. Not much, but enough to make some iron trousers and iron boots. I also turn my collected cow hides into a hat. BEHOLD:

Hm. My new armour doesn’t really shout “hero” so much as “knob”, but nevermind. The next day I launch a foray as planned and find my very first cave.

And go inside…

And find an underground river!

Spelunking, it turns out, is kind of breathtaking. Everything- the risk of encountering monsters, the natural cave formations, the chance of discovering something unusual- comes together to form a thrilling whole. It reminds me of Noctis, of all things, which was an open source videogame circa 2000 that gave you a very abstract spaceship and let you explore a very abstract universe containing strange, randomised life. Discovering plant life in Noctis was an event. Discovering some of its strange, vector creatures was jawdropping. It didn’t matter that you spent most of your time staring at instrument panels and worrying about fuel. Something about the randomisation made everything exciting.

Unable to resist, I jump in the river to see where it takes me.

Iron! A fair bit, too! Yessir, Quinns’ days of not having iron will soon be very much behind him. You’ll have to start calling me Iron Quinns.

A sharp intake of breath from the singer on the album I’m listening to causes me to panic and draw my sword. I’d forgotten there were meant to be monsters down here. I haven’t found a soul.

Struggling once again to find my way home after exploring every inch of the cave, I decide on a project- a beacon, of sorts. I will build a mighty pillar directly above Stupid Cave, thus allowing me to spot it from miles away. My first crack at this sees me stacking some rubbish on a tree, and proves to be a bit embarrassing.

At first I tell myself that it’s not the size of your beacon that matters, it’s how you use it. I then decide that no-one’s going to believe that and go back to the drawing board, or rather the MineCraft wiki. I quickly hatch a plan. Back at Stupid Cave I crack open my storage chest and reduce every piece of lumber I have into sticks. I then craft these sticks in a mass of ladder segments, fill my inventory them, plus some rocks, and return to the tree. By placing a couple of rocks on the tree, then setting a ladder against the rocks, then placing two more rocks up there, then extending the ladder, I create a monstrous pillar of epic proportions. I then climb on top of it for the view.

Excellent! With the screenshot taken, I realise I have a problem. The ladder back down is 2 dimensional. It is a texture, placed on one of the sides of the single-cube column I’m standing on. And I have no idea which side the ladder is on. Realising that my sole option is to get this over with quickly, I take an educated guess and drop off the column. If I’ve chosen incorrectly, I’m dead.

It’s the correct side. I’m saved. I quickly jog back home and seal myself back in Stupid Cave for the night. The next day, I go adventuring again. Following a brief encounter with a strange monster that explodes in my face, causing a chunk of damage:

…I find another cave.

And I strike gold. Not literally. It’s just more iron. But it’s so much iron! I quickly peel 20 blocks of ore out of the ground, and that’s just the beginning. I’ll never want for iron again! Iron Quinns is born!

I came, I saw, I stole. I’m a proper hero, with iron armour and an iron sword and everything. Which begs the question: What now?

Well, a hero like Iron Quinns can’t be living in a cave, can he? I need a proper house. With a door and a bookshelf and windows and things. I need luxury.

By the time I leave the cave, the sun’s setting. It’s a long walk home, but I’m not afraid anymore. I think I’m getting the hang of this.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Huggster says:

The first time you go really deep into natural caves take:
    Plenty of Food ***
    Spare Wood blocks **
    1 x Craft table for emergencies
    64 + torches

The last update has things that can help you as well.

• Po0py says:

I always take enough wood to make a chest. It’s often a good idea to create a chest to store any valuables as you venture further into the cave. It’s heartbreaking to find some diamonds and then get killed by a Skelly and suddenly find yourself at your spawn point and completely empty handed. If you get back to where you were killed quick enough you can collect your dropped items but often it’s either too difficult to get there or you may not even remember the way.

• MWoody says:

I’d would say a full stack of non-floating material (gravel or sand) is a necessity, too. It’s the safest way to drop down into deep chasms: drop a huge pile into the hole, stand on the top, and dig straight down. It’s a good way to judge depth, too, if you count the number of blocks.

• Huggster says:

Now that is very clever.
      Until notch puts in Rope!

• DJ Phantoon says:

You’ll want spare tools unless you managed to get diamond and blew it on a shiny shovel or something. Also it’s easier to just carry more wood and make a craft table on the fly. The lower reaches of my base have a few scattered around next to chests and smelters built while I was standing there.

• Junior says:

I also advise taking 64 logs, since it’s the most compact form of wood and you can take more that way, wood is the only thing you’ll need you can’t find down there.

And after one of my caves took over 2500 torches in an attempt to map and light the thing, I’ve reasoned it’s not a waste of space to take some tree saplings down there with you. You may never see the sun again, and having an underground tree farm will make you almost self sufficient.

2. Po0py says:

I used to use large pillars as guide points on my map and put a torch atop of it. But since the update last friday you can now make a compass. Instead of pointing North as real compasses do, minecraft Compasses point to your spawn location.

Very handy indeed.

3. airtekh says:

Ah yes. I see you’ve met the creepers, as they are known.

So called because THEY DON’T MAKE ANY BLOODY NOISE WHEN THEY SNEAK UP BEHIND YOU.

Word of advice, if you hear what sounds like a snake hissing, run. For pete’s sake run. And pray.

• DJ Phantoon says:

My first death was to one which was my third time that one of them exploded before I could fill it full of arrows. I have a glass fortress situated on top of a hill with basically no way for them to get up, but there’s a few pesky trees that might let them jump up onto the roof, so I jumped from the roof onto a tree and started cutting. I’m cautious as my home has become spider attraction central, and am just about to open one of my doors when one of the buggers jumps down right onto me and kills me from full hp. When I get back I see the only place he could have jumped from that I wouldn’t have seen was one of the trees.

4. Megazver says:

“Would could be more natural than that?”

*point*

A typo, ha ha, A TYPO! LOOK AT THAT STUPID TYPO-MAKING PERSON, HA HA!!

• DJ Phantoon says:

Hijacking this silly man’s silly post for my own purposes as I cannot get on the RPS server anymore.

Are snow and temperate (or whatever it’s called) the only two climate types or is there a way to get the “Desert” type I’ve heard so much about?

5. jon_hill987 says:

I hope you put torches on your beacon so you can find your way home in the dark

• Butterbumps says:

By ‘torches’ I assume you mean ‘huge cascading streams of lava’.

JB says:

I have a coastal beacon that is a small stone bunker with a lava-filled glass tube atop it. Looks lovely as I come sailing in to harbour.

JB says:

Speaking of my lava-lighthouse, here’s a pic.

It’s near the centre, next to the end of the bridge. I use Cartograph for getting pics like that. Sorry about it being a bit blurry, I cropped most of the map away, then doubled the remaining pic to make the lighthouse a reasonable size.

• Butterbumps says:

Ah, nice. Enclosing it in glass certainly adds some class to the whole thing. Mine is just a no-frills huge lava spire.

• Malagate says:

When it comes to beacons, nothing really tops the floating torus. Little doughnuts, covered in torches, floating high above points of interest, but juuust below cloud level. Much more tidy than lava cascading down (which is what happens from my floating research platform/minecart launcher, but it’s ok because it falls into the water).

JB says:

Inspired by Butterbumps, I got a couple of pics of my little lava lighthouse ingame.

Outside: http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7452/lighthouse1.png

And it also lights the inside too: http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4107/lighthouse2.png

I recently changed the glass inside into a double-layer, just to be on the safe side. *achoo*click*lavalavalava*arrrgh

6. Ian says:

Trying to resist the temptation to give Minecraft a go.

It’s increasingly difficult.

• Choca says:

Yeah, same here.

If I touch this I might never come back.

• Alexander Norris says:

It’s increasingly sounding like first-person Dwarf Fortress but it’s so ambitious I’m not sure the guy behind it can uphold all his promises in the foreseeable future. Still, I’m now intrigued.

I’ll have to wait until I’m no longer on the streets in a month, though. :(

• tomwaitsfornoman says:

Just bought this yesterday because of Quinns’ post and played for about 6 hours. Somehow, I still got to work on time this morning. At this point, the game is already so much fun that, for me, it doesn’t even matter if the guy delivers on any more of his promises.

Στέλιος says:

Same here. I am really curious about this.

• Bassism says:

Tomwaitsfornoman hits it right on the head. It doesn’t matter whether or not he can deliver on any of his promises (though realistically there’s no reason why he won’t, nor evidence to suggest such a thing), because it’s already in my top favourite games of all time.

7. Mike says:

You know you can post your saved worlds? Might be fun to let us run around inside what you’ve done. :)

8. Midi says:

Me too.

Can someone tell me if Minecraft is OSX compatible or if you need Wine / Parallels or whatever? I get the impression it is but can’t see a definitive answer on the official site.

• Tei says:

Try the applet on the webpage. If you can run the free version, odds are that you can run the paid version. If is too slow, then the paid version will be slow. Only netbooks may have these limits nowdays.

• DeptRedunDept says:

I don’t have OSX but when I bought it it sent me to a download page that had a separate link for installing on OSX (it’s a Java game after all). So I think it should be compatible.

• Drakkheim says:

@Midi Minecraft is written in java so it’s available as a standalone app for pc & mac. and its also playable directly from within your webbrowser. You can go to minecraft.net and play the classic (without monsters and tons of stuff) for free and see how it runs.

• deimos says:

There is an OSX client on the downloads page. I just tried it on my MBP, last nite.

• James Allen says:

There is a Mac download, and Linux, too:

• Midi says:

Cheers for the Mac info lads!

I also found this post the dev put up yesterday just made me want to buy the game even more…

• Casimir's Blake says:

It’s worth keeping in mind that as Minecraft is Java-based, it’s more CPU-intensive than you might expect. It does require a fairly decent and recent video card, but even an X3100 Intel GPU will play the game at 1280×800 or so, tiny/short distance and achieve 30~ fps. But without a good enough CPU, don’t expect good frame rates even at the lowest settings.

Atom CPUs don’t stand a chance, really. But in case this is useful: My Viewbook 120 laptop has a Celeron SU2300 dual core CPU and Intel GMA 4500M graphics. Even on “tiny” distance and standard rather than “fancy quality”, the FPS outside is 10-15 at best. I’ve tried a more standard laptop with a rather faster Core 2 Duo 5750 CPU, but a supposedly weaker Intel X3100 GPU (965 chipset) and regularly get 30-40 fps + on tiny distance, 10-30 fps on short. These figures will pick up when the map generator isn’t running because you’re not skirting the “generated” edges of a map.

Disclaimer: I’m not a Minecraft expert, and I know almost nothing about the engine, this is based entirely on simple testing with a couple of PCs. (Naturally, on something like a Q6600, 60+ fps is a given.)

• Casimir's Blake says:

Bah, wrong reply button I guess… >.<

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

This looks like my type of game!
      However when I try to play the free web based game I get BSOD for some reason, I think maybe my Ati Driver is interferring somehow.
      And also how big is this game? I only have a measley 3-6GB left on my internal HDD.

Also win captcha, pftt

9. Emphursis says:

You may soon wish you hadn’t chucked all your stone down that chute!
    Stupid captcha! It says LARD, but apparently, that is wrong…

• Tei says:

yea, these rocks will be handy for wen he start building his own gigantic buildings.
      but he can mine more, anyway. is just that storing all these rocks in a 2x chest is soo easy, deleting it is a waste.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Yes but he also hasn’t discovered the magic of doors or glass.

He’s gonna come home to Stupid Cave and find stuff is right behind him and have to frantically dig out the door.

AndrewC says:

The tone of Minecrafty-type-diaries always seems rather jolly. Would you describe the overall feel as happy-making?

Stalkers, for example, are, ultimately, paranoid and terrified, Dwarf Fortress players develop a sort of fatalistic humour in the face of inevitable atrophy, and WOW players are completely rubbish.

So what’s the feel? And how can/do things go wrong?

Στέλιος says:

Who said we are paranoid? How did you know that anyway? Do you have a spy camera in my stash of emergency Mars bars?

• James says:

I was pretty paranoid when I first started playing: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=6273.msg414813#msg414813

Once I figured out how things work (and died a few times), I started having a lot more fun.

Right now the biggest perils seem to involve getting killed by enemies (not so bad, unless you can’t get back to your point of death within five minutes), and water/lava escaping your control and flooding areas you don’t happen to want flooded. Bonus points if enemies blow holes in the walls and flood areas.

Both of these things are pretty manageable. Enemies won’t spawn near torches, and you can lower the risk of floods with things like air locks (http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Airlock ).

Of course, with TNT and Redstone (logic gates) and such, I’m sure there are plenty of other creative ways things can go wrong.

11. Tei says:

Minecraft standards are:
    – Can it be seen from space? normal size.

12. mlaskus says:

I once went into a cave in Minecraft… After about 10 hours, discovering countless treasures, fighting off hordes of monsters and using my whole supply of a few hundred torches I found my way back to the surface. To my amusement, the exit I have found was about 10 blocks away from my original entry point.

JB says:

I had a similar experience, if slightly shorter. My first big mine has the entrance and exit a stone’s throw away from each other purely by chance.

• Snuffy (the Evil) says:

My main cave is pretty huge. These are the entrances I’ve discovered.

-Directly north of my main base.

-Directly south of my main base.

-Directly west of my main base

-Right in my main base’s mine.

I still don’t think I’ve explored even half of it.

13. joe says:

i just read a book called Beyond the Deep about underground cave exploration and this game is totally reminding me of it

i would love for you to check out our public minecraft server – address is mc2.joe.to

we have a private server at mc1.joe.to with constructions that would blow your mind e.g.

but unfortunately it’s whitelisted only, based on invites to players on mc1

14. Hippo says:

You really shouldn’t throw your stone blocks away. You’ll need it for your castle.

15. sklaav says:

this game is more addictive than that other …craft

16. Harlander says:

I’m loving this, and like many weak-willed RPS commentariat in the face of its glory, I was pushed over the edge into splashing out on the game.

Maybe we can get one of these for Shores of Hazeron, if the horrible lag-spiral it’s currently suffering from is solved…

17. Huggster says:

Or a “base camp” at the entrance to the cave dug into rock with a door. You soon learn not to carry everything around with you – the fun/hard way!

18. Mike says:

Thanks for the writeup! I’m definitely terrified of this game.

BTW, what’s the music behind your video?

19. Dzamir says:

Don’t throw the rocks, you will need them to build your house/castle!

20. Gugenheimer says:

Wow, I am completely hooked on this game. Been playing it for hours. I dug too deep and had lava pour on top of me causing me to lose all my iron :(. Another thing, i downloaded the soundtrack from Thief 1, play that music while deep down in the caves and see if you don’t get freaked out

• Clovis says:

Heh, yeah. One of the important rules of minecraft is to never dig straight up or straight down.

21. Arthur Barnhouse says:

I’m enjoying the game but I have a constant fear of attrition on the world. After all, there are only so many trees, ore deposits, and coal. Are you worried about what will happen if you run out of stuff?

JB says:

I believe the world is infinite. Even if you harvest all the goodies in your immediate area you can either move on or start scavenging further afield. Don’t worry about the environment, go nuts!

• Hippo says:

You can plant new trees, you know?

• Tei says:

The world has not practical boundaries. You can walk in every direction 6 years, the game will just generate “more map” as you move in these directions. There are boundaries, and people has visited these boundaries using cheats (teleporters), anyway are at 6 years walking distance ( 6 years of real world time, not ingame time, if you walk north, you will meet the end of the map in 2016 ). Another limiting factor is map size on the disk, you can have a giganteous map what weights 21 MB, but if you continue your travel to the north all these 6 years, and maybe visit other areas (will take you more than 6 years) you can maybe make the map weight 2 TB of data.

long reply:
      see above

short reply:
      the map is infinite

• Lightbulb says:

Just FYI you can plant trees. Why does no one appear to know this?

• Rich says:

I plant them, but they don’t seem to do anything. Do you have to water them, or just leave them for ages?

22. gerafin says:

Quinns, you are the man! I had played Noctis forever ago, then when I got a new computer I totally forgot what it was called… I’ve been trying to remember for probably 2 years now.

23. Gosh says:

thats a nice cave you got there. a little girly but ok.

real men on the other hand dig straight down past the adminium and dies!

24. Baltech says:

Why do you always block the door with stones? Why not just make a door, wood or iron?

• Rich says:

Be sure to apply it from the outside of your house. That way is opens inwards, and you can hit enemies from inside your house while standing safely inside.

25. sexyresults says:

Don’t throw your rocks away, you need them for your castle!

26. Anthony says:

Your garbage chute is a good idea for dirt, since you’ll invariably end up with a ton you don’t have a use for.

Rock, however, is mighty handy for constructifying whatsits. It puts up better with sneaky Creeper attacks near your glorious delvings – wood and dirt structures will get obliterated by the explosions. And trust me, they will hang out around your buildings, just waiting for you to open a door and take two steps in the morning sunshine.

27. latterman says:

quinn and his great writing being cursed, i gave hin and bought it.

that’s basically the first thing i saw when i started up:

A FRIGGIN’ FLOATING ISLAND IN THE SKY!

i have no idea if that’s a common sight in minecraft but i’m enthralled. i’m gonna build a giant starway and built my own flying castle.

• Clovis says:

All the cool kids use waterfall elevators to get into their sky castles.

28. Uglycat says:

What I want to see is an RPG like Daggerfall based on this, with millions of caves and quests to go on.

• Casimir's Blake says:

You may want to take a look at DaggerXL:

Minecraft will likely continue to receive updates, and eventually Notch wants to add “adventure” mode for randomly generated dungeons and the like. That’s a way off, but it should happen eventually…

29. DMJ says:

I wonder if Quinns intentionally chose a game in which iron is mined, once and for all defeating his ironless moniker?

30. laikapants says:

Strip Mines aren’t a bad idea for nights you don’t want to go spelunking. Just dig a little path off of Stupid Cave and then proceed to carve out a long section (I usually go as high as I can standing on the ground and 7-9 squares wide). Doesn’t necessarily net lots of ore or (er) at least not quickly, but should Iron Quinns (and maybe even someday Diamond Quinns) feel brave enough to build beyond Stupid Cave it is a rapidly excellent source of stone. Plus you might even find a cave network or something.

Also also, lava flumes make excellent garbage dumps.

31. benjamin says:

I’m still managing to resist the temptation of buying this game…just.

• Jhoosier says:

If I didn’t have a ton of studies and no money, I would have bought this and wasted the past several days.

Lambchops says:

I’ve been enjoying browsing some Youtube footage of the crazy stuff people have got up to in the game almost as much as playing it myself.

This one is incredible – don’t know how he had the patience for it. i was in awe of his house never mind his big project (skip to 2 minutes in if you donn’t want to hear his preamble)!

• Tei says:

H***y Sh*** Tap Dancing On My Lap!.

thats not to scale, I suppose, thats.. .BIG.

33. Jimmy says:

Hmm. Spend €10… On other hand, I could just go digging in my garden with a bucket and spade, and pretend there are monsters around (like squirrels and cats). I could make little mud castles and fashion little rivers with sticks and never come back into the house until dinner’s ready.

MonkeyMonster says:

Is it wrong to want to play it instead of going to the pub? Bearing in mind this night I can’t do both.

35. Mike says:

Also, Quinns, have you heard of Cartograph? It takes your world and produces a birds-eye, pixel-art-style aerial map. Again, would be cool to see that as it grows over time.

Norskov says:

I’m not sure if this has been posted somewhere else, but someone made a Dwarf Fortress to Minecraft export utility. It’s still in the early phases, but it’s rather cool to wander around in your fortress. It places torches automatically so you don’t have to walk around in the dark.

Here’s the link if anyone’s interested: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64473.0

• DMJ says:

My head asplode.

• Reapy says:

Holy shit. DF world gen + minecraft representation of that world === Head explode!

• stahlwerk says:

Toady One and Minecraftguy Wotsname should meet in a secret location – a remote hotel in the Alps perhaps – and work on a unified server API, to which both games could connect as clients.

It would spell the end of all PC gaming, because nobody would play anything else ever again.

• Awesomely Awed says:

That’s putting some awesome into the awesomeness, with awesome sauce on top.

• Jhoosier says:

I’ve never played Minecraft and haven’t played DF in 6 months. Still, I’m way too excited about this.

37. Cole says:

It’s probably worth storing the stone you mine out to build with, though dirt is pretty worthless in that its ugly, abundant, and takes no time to dig out with a stone shovel.
    With the stone, I’d make a more interesting beacon, one with a spiral staircase stands out and is easier to spot. Mine sticks out of the top of my house and has another small house on the top of it.
    Also, some resources (diamond + redstone) require a pickaxe of iron or better, so dont go turning all your iron into swords, cause a stone sword will still kill anything. Once you find redstone (very deep in natural caves) you can make a compass (four irons around one redstone dust).

If you go into a natural cave that goes pretty far thn ends, you can dig a spiral staircase in a 3×3 patch of the floor of the cave and you’ll likely hit another cavern, caves have a tendency to be clustered.

38. Tei says:

How water work?.

Theres seem to exist 2 types of water tiles, original water tiles and flow of water. Flow tiles of water are generated from a flow tile, but are limited to 6 tiles of distance to this “original type” tile. So a single drop of water, crated a pixelated circle of water in a flat ground. There are some interactions of “original type” of water and the terrain, that will convert a flow type into another original type… this able for water to “flow” endlesly in cascades and rivers… but for that interaction to exist, theres need to be minicascades (or some cascade types) so to make a river, you must add a mini-cascade every 5 tiles… or water will stop.

Theres not “sea level”. The “sea” or big water bodies are just a bunch of “original type” water blocks. So you can “dig holes” in the water, that will look somewhat like circular cascades or something like that. You can also mess with the surface of the water in a way to force original tyles to convert into flow tyles. Since flow tiles push forward boats, you can create… he…. fast rivers …in the sea.

Water in minecraft is really easy to understand, but almost imposible to completely master. All these people that can create amazing water stuff, are probably genius or aliens.

• Lightbulb says:

Only limited to 6 tiles horizontally. No vertical limit so far as I can tell…. So you can make HUGE waterfalls very easily.

39. protorp says:

Curse you RPS, you win for nth time in making me spend my pennies . . .

40. Barrow says:

Hmmm, and I was just considering what to do with the server I bought last week… I bet a RPS dedicated Minecraft server would have potential for some serious fun (or perhaps “Fun”, since we’re dragging Dwarf Fortress into this). I’d have to see how well 2MB cable could support this game as a server, though.

• Lightbulb says:

There already is one we have been playing in it all week. Check the forum.

41. deneb says:

Cheers for the Noctis reference. Even though the new version was fast approaching Duke Nukem Forever status last I checked.

42. Qwentle says:

Being picked up by Gearbox?

43. Shon says:

I downloaded it yesterday after reading Quinn’s write-up. Cripes, i lost an entire day of work to this. Once I got the hang of it, I started making silly large bunkers.

The weird thing is that with everything looking so blocky, it is really easy to get lost. I have taken to making stone arrows on the ground pointing me back to my base camp.

Now I just need to find some freaking diamonds.

44. Warduke says:

Bought this game last night at 10pm to see what all the fuss was about. Didn’t get to bed ’til 4am.

45. Bassism says:

Quinns, I love reading this. Brings me back to when I first discovered the game. The best thing though, is that feeling NEVER GOES AWAY!

46. Hank says:

You can grow trees atop trees, so long as you use some dirt to plant in. I’m working on a giant tree house, enjoying the organic changes over time.

Another project is a killing field with floodgates to wash mobs into a grate. The advent of redstone spurred me to relearn circuitry. Nothing like the proper motivation for education!

47. Gugenheimer says:

Ok, just discovered the a giant cave network way deep under a mountain, all I gotta say is wow!!! It’s huge, I haven’t been to the surface in hours. I think i’m lost…..

48. Ninja says:

So is the “survival” mode multiplayer?

If so I might end up grabbing a copy for me, along with a few friends. I could see this potentially being an amazing multiplayer experience. Have rather small, like 16 slot player servers, password protect it, and then have everybody go about thier business. You’d have people making allies, people making traps, I cannot begin to fathom all the possibilities. There’d have to be limits of course. You couldn’t just go around ripping people’s houses apart, but to make the game awesome they could make a means to build bombs or something that you could use to “sabotage” another person’s house.

I liked the concept of the “stranded” mod on Garry’s Mod, and this sounds like it but without all the complicated building mechanisms. I’m VERY interested to see how it will end up.

• Dzamir says:

Yes, the survival mode also works on multiplayer, but it’s not 100% complete (you can’t kill monsters for example)

• Lightbulb says:

The operative word on that being “yet”.

Monsters got added into multi player on the last update. I think I read fighting will be next… Its definitely on the list.

49. Ashley King says:

Quinn, this foray into MineCraft you’re doing makes me want to see you write about a Dwarf Fortress. I absolutely love it and can’t wait to see how you die horribly.