MineCraft: Mine The Gap, Day 3

By Quintin Smith on September 16th, 2010 at 2:54 pm.

We call this one “Stairway to Heaven.”

If you missed days 1 and 2, you’ll find the collected Mine The Gap here. And if you’ve noticed that these screenshots look different, it’s because I’ve installed the Painterly Pack, which gives MineCraft ever-so-slightly grittier visuals. I’ll experiment with a different texture pack tomorrow, too.

When we left me, I’d just emerged from a nearby cave, flush with iron, armour and chutzpah. Things are going excellently. So excellently that I watched the sun sink with indifference. What was I afraid off? I had my sword, my suit of iron, my restorative meat snacks. The monsters should be afraid of me! LOOK AT ME!

Anyway, it’s only a short two minute jog back to Stupid Cave.

I’ve just picked my way down to the beach when I see a giant spider. Pfft. You know what “giant spider” is an anagram of? “Trained Pigs.” You know what “Quintin Smith” is an anagram of? “Shin Mint Quit”. Which is a noble name, clearly. A hero’s name. Once again, the Internet Anagram Server tells me what I already know.

I’m backing cautiously away from the spider when I spot something to the left of it. A Creeper! One of those strange, plant-looking humanoids that run towards you and blow up. Now, I’m just making a tactical retreat from him when I take a chunk of damage. Wheeling, I see a skeleton with a fucking bow is volleying vicious shots at me with fearsome accuracy. At this point I remember I’m playing the game on Hard, abandon all pretence of herodom to turn and run, but it’s useless. I’m rapidly chopped, skewered and blasted into nothingness.

I click respawn. And so:

I lose everything.

It’s all gone. I feel almost as empty as my inventory. I’m in cold stupor as I finish the short trudge from my world’s respawn point to Stupid Cave, and I’m only a couple of steps from the entrance when I hear a Creeper’s signature hissing. I turn around, suffer a split-second with a Creeper’s horrible blocky face inches from my own, and then BOOM. The blast almost knocks me clean into Stupid Cave. I seal up the entrance, figuring I’ll survey the damage in the morning.

The morning comes. It’s worse than I thought.

But then, it’s only the work of five minutes to fix it. I just need a shovel and a few torches. I close my eyes as I realise that I don’t have a shovel, I don’t have coal, I don’t even have wood. I am in near-physical pain at this point. MineCraft is snatching everything I’d built from my open hands.

Fuck it. If there was a “spit on the ground” button in MineCraft and also “put hands on hips” button, this is when I would press first one, then the other.

Last night I became Iron Quinns. Now, that iron is gone. The physical iron, I mean. But not the iron in my mind. I am still Iron Quinns.

I believe I also said last night that Iron Quinns couldn’t be living in a cave. A hero needs a proper home. Might as well get to work on that.

I peel apart some trees with my hands, then return to the workshop in Stupid Cave and smash together some rude stone tools. This done, I grab a mass of rocks from the storage chest and go bounding up to the cliff directly above Stupid Cave. Here, I lay the first stone.

Pathologic was full of excellent buildings, but there’s one specific one I want to recreate. It’s the unsupported spiral staircases found throughout the town.

This quickly proves to be tricky business. I start by laying a thick foundation of stone which I lay the stairs on top of. Then, by standing on a rude dirt column running up the centre of the spiral, I can hack some of that support stone away, leaving the stairs. Finally, I can dig away the dirt pillar I’m standing on.

For the first time, I find myself becoming frustrated with MineCraft’s day-night cycle. It can’t be night already! I need to keep working!

That night, rummaging through the chest back in Stupid Cave, I find a paltry two chunks of iron gathering dust in the corner of my chest. Just enough to make myself a single iron sword. I also find I little stash of cowhides I tucked away once I’d built my suit of armour. I decide to make a leather shirt, and look! The texture pack I installed makes colours leather armour like a tuxedo!

Just shut up for a second. Shut up and have some respect for the fine man you are looking at.

The wee hours of the morning are spent waiting and watching out of the entrance to Stupid Cave. In the distance, I see a single zombie go up in flames. This signals the start of my working day.

Since I’m still hurting from that Creeper detonating in my face, I start my working day by chasing a pig half way around a fucking mountain to try and get a pork steak. Finally catching up with the creature and slaying it, he drops nothing. I actually excavate some of the dirt around the corpse in case the pork somehow got wedged underneath a block. Nothing. You can imagine me on hands and knees, scrabbling around in the dirt, furious with hunger.

Sod it. I return to the construction site.

I said it before, and I’ll say it again. This aerial construction is tricky business. I’m always risking a fall, nudging out over the lip of a block to place another block adjacent to it. Always just nosing… very… carefully… being careful not to fall because a fall would almost certainly kill m NO NO OH SON OF A BITCH

I fall.

Oh, Jesus, oh Jesus Christ, I’d just gotten back on my feet. I remade all the tools. I made a fucking tux. I used the last of my iron to build a replacement iron sword. Respawning, I return to the construction site in a manner not unlike Eddie walking away from the card table in Lock Stock.

Wait. What’s this? What are all these pickups? At first I can’t believe it, but it’s my entire goddamn inventory from when I fell off the staircase. The comments on my last Mine The Gap post featured so many people offering sage advice about how they make sure they don’t lose their stuff while spelunking that I assumed that when you die, your inventory is gone forever. It’s not. It just gets scattered around you. For fucks sake! I could have launched a daring midnight raid to get my inventory back when I died the first time!

Never mind. Back to work.

Soon the staircase is finished, and I begin attaching the flat plane of dirt to it. On this dirt will be where I build my Hero House. What you can see on the left is that beacon I built in the last entry. I intend to tear it down sometime soon, since it’s ugly and the cottage will be higher than it anyway.

Another night, another day. The floating clusters of leaves that remain once I’m nicked the wood from under them really are awful. Once I’m done with the house I’ll take some tree trunks from further away and slot them into place under these fellas.

Right! This is what that flat plane of dirt looks like from the top of the staircase. As you can see, I’ve planted some trees to give my floating house more of a natural, relaxing atmosphere. Wonder how long they’ll take to grow?

In the end, I can’t bring myself to knock down the beacon. I connect it to the house’s grounds instead, as a kind of emergency exit. Excellently, while making the connection I have another tumble and fall all the way into the tree below, yet survive. Turns out leaves and branches cushion a fall. I can use this!

Finally, I can start work on the house. Rather than a castle I decide on a rustic, two-story structure with windows and a skylight, because I like the double standards involved here. I build my Hero Home on a floating island, because anywhere else would be beneath me. Literally as well as figuratively. But I am also a simple man of simple pleasures and don’t need to show off.

That night, I hear a mooing when I’m working on the roof. A cow? How the Hell did a cow get up here? Did it take the stairs? I will let it be.

Finally, I am finished.

I made the glass blocks by shoving a load of sand in the forge, if you were wondering.

Course, I’m not actually finished, because it’s very difficult to be finished in MineCraft. I need to get a Work Table and Forge up here, and then I need reeds to make books, which I can then assemble into a bookcase, and I need a diamond so I can make a record player. I’ve also got a smouldering desire to construct a set of minecart tracks that’ll carry you from my front garden all the way down to the sea. I could even make it a powered minecart so I could get back up. And of course, I’ll need a picket fence. And to have room for that I’ll need to expand the grounds.

For now, I settle for stripping out the dirt floor and replacing it with raw wood. Not lumber, but wood. Rustic, remember?

Daylight comes. With delight, I realise that from up here I can watch all the land’s monsters burst into flames with each and every sunrise. I cannot think of a nicer way of starting the day.

And there she is. Like some kind of giant space alien with one rigid leg and one bandy one. God, I built that. I’m so proud. This is a videogame, right here.

So. I’ve got the lay of the land, and I’ve got myself a house. What’s next, do you think?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Richard Beer says:

Forgive me commenting before I’ve finished reading… but doesn’t Giant Spider have an S in it where Trained Pig does not?

2. Mike says:

Well done! That’s fantastic! I’m too scared to ever venture far outside in MC, but what you’ve done is really brilliant.

The Minecarts are stupidly good fun. Tracks take a long time to lay though! Looking forward to more updates – only two days left, no?

3. AndrewC says:

Awesome! It looks like a pagan statue to Billy Crystal’s character in Monster’s Inc, marking its territory.

4. JuJuCam says:

Brilliant idea! I would’ve made the floor out of glass though for better morning viewing pleasure.

• Feste says:

I’ve given the mountain I live in a glass roof and front wall, it’s daylight at least half the day! I can grow wheat and trees inside and never leave for the horrible outside again.

5. IAMJETHRO says:

A road is next. No point having a house if you ain’t got a street.

• Jeremy says:

You have inspired me sir… truly inspired me. I created my home in the side of a waterfall, and now I can already imagine a network of roads and bridges that allow me to travel quickly from spot to spot!

6. fearian says:

I gotta say, as a jaded minecraft vet, I find it hard to remember back when I thought a 2×2 cave or wooden shack was a suitable base of operations, but I do remember just enough to smile fondly at that last picture. Minecraft is a game about having vision – Its surprisingly easy to do anything, once you realise you can. For your next build, strip mine the side of a cliff and build some dwarf fortress boatmurdered affair. One you create a an empire, you can never go back.

Also, build some fucking chests! *shakes head*

• Schaulustiger says:

Whenever I start a new singleplayer world I still feel the same as Quinns. At first, you miss all the tools and handy stuff you built during endless hours in another world, but soon it’s fun to dig the first coal, craft the first stone axe, build the first door again. I could do this over and over and it wouldn’t get old. Ever.
      Part of it is thanks to the great world generator, that gives you awesome new stuff to admire every time you let it create a new world. Yesterday I was starting a new world and got placed right next to a great waterfall that was pouring down from heights that were shrouded in fog. An awesome view and I started a small settlement from scratch once again…

• Dr. Derek Doctors, DFA says:

Yes, it’s not a proper Minecraft home unless you’ve got a huge Le Corbusier structure up top and massive stairs descending into the depths to open into the vast and coal-black caverns of the earth. And kitchens. You need a kitchen. Double-size chests make surprisingly nice cabinets.

This last go-round I was happy to find a small cavern with a waterfall not far from where I first found coal; I shut down the sad little mole-cave I was living in like some kind of peasant, and instead made the cavern the sunken entry to a grand many-storied manse, with a proper dungeon down below that I’m slowly reducing to a pleasant, many-torched basement.

• Alexander Norris says:

But what’s the point in digging an underground base of operations fit for a legion of Cobra soldiers if there are no NPCs to fill it? I can only conclude that Minecraft needs NPCs. And armies. And stuff.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Hey, question.
      So far the terrain has only randomized to snowy and temperate. How do I get it to do other terrains, or is desert only planned and not yet implemented?

7. midi says:

How sad is it that I have been refreshing RPS all day today waiting for this update?

8. Pobblepop says:

These are the funniest game write ups I’ve ever read, your wit and charm literally forced me to buy this game and absolutely loving it (up to the point when I fell down a massive hole and died, losing my hat in the process).

9. Steve says:

Rude stone tools? Do mining picks somehow look similar to a certain part of a man’s anatomy?

10. Jimmy Jazz says:

Methinks you need a fence, you know so monsters can’t climb up. how do you think that cow got up there? might be a creeper next! plus it would add to the rustic feel.

Also, You need to find the nearest cave and build the mine-cart track into the cave, making a roller coaster into hell. or, you know, your idea.

• Dr. Derek Doctors, DFA says:

Ah, it just spawned in the torchlight. It’s not unusual for me to come home after a long day strip-mining and wood-chopping to find a veritable Noah’s Ark of gamboling lambs and frolicking swine in my underground mansion. It’s a little disturbing when you come up for air from a long mining session to find your front door wide open because a pig was merrily jumping up and down on the pressure plate trigger, letting a few zombies and skeletons in to play with them….

11. Navagon says:

I love how your house looks like a giant walker that’s crushing a tree under its foot. Certainly an improvement on Stupid Cave.

12. Lambchops says:

Nice Pathologic house you’ve got there.

I am totally going to leave an iron pick and sword in a chest in my current base when I do a Quinns and inevitably die in the middle of nowhere and find myself with NO IRON.

Now that the thing seems to have stopped crashing and I have a handy backup tool I’m currently exploring the cave system (underground waterfalls, lava, red stone stuff that I don’t know what to do with!) and considering building some sort of abode. i kind of wanted to make a giant sheep by covering the outside with cloth blocks but alas it seems only to be cows and pigs that are grazing nearby. Think I’m going to have to go on a quest around the overworld.

• Pesforozo says:

I would be wary of doing too much exploring.

I decided it’d be fun to chart the landmass I was on, to get to water all around the edge, using the excellent Cartographer to get my bearings. It turned out that my island was absolutely massive, taking several in-game weeks (several hours) to accomplish.

Now I can’t use Cartographer, as the last image I made was about 8000 by 5000 pixels, making my world about 40 square kilometers, and taking up 70mb to save. Loading times and frame rate took a bit of a hit, which is a bit of a shame.

13. Clovis says:

I find most of that texture pack pretty ugly, especially on the inventory screen. OTOH, the textures for the stuff in the house is great. Hmm … maybe I’ll have to start playing around with this stuff. It’s nice that it is so easy to overhaul the look of the game.

14. mlaskus says:

Seasick Mullah

I don’t like that Anagram Server… :(

15. Tacroy says:

You’ve totally built Baba Yaga’s hut! Awesome!

16. Evil otto says:

according to the anagram server ‘I, one sad Ninja’ is an anagram for Indiana Jones.

17. 5il3nc3r says:

Well, livestock has a chance to spawn on any dirt block. Not sure if it needs to have Grass or not on it to qualify, but I know it has to be dirt.

Mobs only spawn in a space that is not lit. So as long as your floating island of a base is well lit (preferably the staircase too), mobs won’t spawn in your base.

Also, beware as a few of the mobs (namely Zombies and possibly Skeletons/Creepers) CAN climb ladders, so you might want to think up some kind of protection on that side too.

18. MonkeyMonster says:

Wooo, first random cave uncovered, skeletons and flooding my tunnels – all in a days work… or rather all done while I should be working. I have however got my co-worker to buy it :D

19. Spatula says:

Can you do all this in the alpha version? do you need to buy it? how much? pie?

• Quintin Smith says:

Yeah, it’s all in the alpha. Yours for a kinda-meagre €10. But once you’ve paid Notch once, that’s it. Any future versions of MineCraft (the beta, the full version, everything) will be yours for no cost as and when it’s done.

• Spatula says:

Even though i have zero funds, don’t get paid to monday, the wife is 6 months pregnant, we’re going to a baby fair to buy shitloads on sat, and other random stuff, that deal is too good to pass.

i’m buying it tonight!!

Great read btw mate.

20. Bas says:

Build a statue as a monument to your achievement!

21. Spatula says:

i demand you build an escalator that goes nowhere.

22. Vadermath says:

You do realize that “Quintin Smith” is also an anagram for “Shit MQuintin”, right?

Jokes aside, this has been an awesome read which finally made me buy Minecraft (been playing Classic mode for a while now), and boy oh boy, this Alpha version is simply heaps of awesome!

23. Grot Punter says:

Bah humbug! I cannot find out how to install that wonderful texture pack, I have no mincraft.jar file! Any suggestion on how to bodge this thing in on windows 7?

Also, wonderful updates, very much enjoying the read.

24. jonfitt says:

Darn you Quinns. I went and bought Minecraft yesterday evening and now I’m sleep deprived and can’t wait to get back to my cave.

The two things I would like so far are the ability to craft a movable spawn point (bed?), and tooltips on the inventory. I had no idea I was looking at flint or gunpowder until I consulted the wiki.

25. Huggster says:

“The comments on my last Mine The Gap post featured so many people offering sage advice about how they make sure they don’t lose their stuff while spelunking that I assumed that when you die, your inventory is gone forever”

Hahahaha – that made me laugh!
    They go after a while. Recovering them from deep caves is generally quite hard – even with a set of backup weapons. Especially hard in those …. “special” rooms.

Ahh – its all a learning experience!
    I am sure there are still “digging into raw lava” virgins out there too.

• jonfitt says:

I dug as deep as I could and hit Adminium/bedrock. I spent ages pounding on that stuff until I found out what it was. Didn’t find lava though.

Does it occur in pockets?

• P7uen says:

If you have lava in your pockets you should definitely enter the MoW Assault Squad comp.

• MWoody says:

15 minutes before they *poof* was the stat I read, and my experience (running in slow motion towards a diamond pick screaming “NOOOO” as I hit the 15 minute mark) bears it out. Note, though, that if you’re not in a “chunk” (a square section of the game world) it doesn’t actively update, so it’s technically possible to go far away and therefore artificially preserve your items beyond that timer. In practice, however, I wouldn’t try it.

26. Kid A says:

So, basically, you win John Walker.

27. 12kill4 says:

I got into Minecraft after you posted the first one and ive so far constructed at fairly large castle with a full wall about a dozen blocks high with wide battlements and two towers. The latest tower I built is ridiculously high and quite large, with a viewing room and several storage sections. The tower’s ladder also acts as a central, express ladder access the various levels of my sprawling mine network (which reaches the basin the world- including large springs of larva and secure access to a quite large subterrainian dungeon which I am yet to full explore. My castle-grounds also have a small garden with marble elevated walkways and irrigation system which flows under the tilled earth and into a water-feature which acts as the enterance into my main ante-chamber (which has a larva based disposal system, several furnaces, work benches and material storage.

Im currently strip-mining the floors beneath me for metal so I can construct skyrail system…

28. Lambchops says:

You know you’re in trouble when you start placing whimsical signposts all over the landscape!

i was digging a staircase down into the depths and when spotted some iron but when i dug it out I revealed a stream of lava which started flowing down my stairs. After taking some swift evasive action I couldn’t resist whipping out my crafting block, fashioing a signpost and writing “Beware the fiery stairs of doom.”

Definitely addicted.

29. dhex says:

damn you for making me buy this. it’s the most fun i’ve had with a game in forever.

30. Sinky says:

That last pic looks like a small version of Howls Moving Castle.

31. Will says:

You need to turn Show Hidden Files on in Folder Options

32. Nero says:

That’s quite a spiffy looking house thing you made. My first house I did is a pitiful mini castle. Really it’s a house that’s want to be a castle. In any case, I will soon put my hundreds of cobblestone to some use for building something nice.

33. Huggster says:

Also Quintin – when are you going to man up and do some proper natural cave spelunking? We are talking using 100 + torches here, all the way down, down, down – until you are utterly lost.

Once you hack your way vertically to the surface in mild panic you will feel like Tim Robbins busting out of the sewage pipe in Shawshank Redemption.

This never gets old, especially if its daylight.

34. oceanclub says:

“plant-looking humanoids”

Well, to be honest, as my wife pointed while I was playing, Creepers _do_ look like walking green penises.

P.

35. Nallen says:

Is there paint in this game? would be nice to do a spot of interior decoration.

• Jeremy says:

You can create paintings, book shelves and I think that’s about it for legitimate “decor”, but you can turn most anything into decoration. You can make chests, stoves, crafting tables, torches, doors and windows of a sort.

• Nallen says:

Yes, but once I carve my huge glass fronted house from the cliff side can I paint it white?

• Znea says:

Simply use wool blocks instead of stone, and voila it is white. Just ignore the fact that the structural integrity of your abode is now dependent on whatever you managed to punch of a random wild sheep.

36. Koozer says:

One thing stops me loving Minecraft (nearly) as much as Dwarf Fortress: rubbish fluid physics. My huge tower to the heavens with a 5 block wide waterfall just dribbles across the floor for a few blocks then disappears into nothingness…

• Huggster says:

Yeah – if I hack a path from the sea into a cavern, it should fill the whole thing.
      I am not sure if this will ever be changed – there are limits to the game physics after all. Tei already pointed out that the sea is individual blocks, not one large body of water. Its an illusion.

• Tei says:

Since is java, and java is easy to convert into the original code, is posible to make changes. I see how some modder change the limit to how much blocks water extend before “dies”. Like 2000.

I think is limited to stop water from flooding everything and flooding the whole level. Withouth that, I could imagine a single bucket of water filling the whole world….universe.

• Huggster says:

You could have different types of water though – volumetric sea bodies, limited bucket bodies, limited underwater streams.

37. bleeters says:

Statue. Statue, statue, statue. A giant, towering manifestation with torches for eyes.

38. Ian says:

Quinn’s iron-wealth was clearly only going to be a matter of time.

39. Ninja says:

Grah. I really need to buy this. I’m holding out for a proper multiplayer version though. I think with a few friends you could have some hilarious adventures. Accidently flooding a friend’s underground house, working together to build a massive castle. Luring Creepers to that friend that isn’t really a friend but still hangs out with you’s house and blowing it up.

• Huggster says:

Its not expensive.
      I have had my moneys worth and I am not really that in to building.

I also get drawn back to it for some reason for a bit of a dig. Its funny like that.

• Lemming says:

Ive been running a server for me and a few friends for the last few days, survival multiplayer is pretty basic right now but its still a ton of fun. The bugs and glitches only serve to add to the fun. :D

40. jonfitt says:

Also, what’s with the “Score &e0″ is the scoring broken? I’ve read on the wiki that certain mobs are worth points, but I always get &e0.

• fearian says:

it used to just be ’0′ all the time. Yeah there is no scoring in the game, its a relic from the old survival test mode notch made back when creative was all there was. I do like that to add a slap in the face to a kick in the nuts, the game tells you you have zero points whenever you die.

• Huggster says:

We all know the creepers keep their own score.

41. James G says:

Went ahead and purchased. Been meaning to give the proper game a try for a while, and figured I should get in before the beta.

The game doesn’t run well on my laptop, but should be back on the desktop in a week. So my first action on registering the game was to design myself a custom skin.

I hope its obvious who its supposed to be.

42. oceanclub says:

For my first house, I caved a hole out of a cliff, then since I realised I could get lost, put a pyramid-shaped facade on it which I made bigger and bigger unless it eventually almost touched the clouds. I’m hoping that Notch increases the difficulty (or offers higher difficulty levels) – so far not a single mob has tried to storm my fortress, which is a little disappointing.

P.

• Huggster says:

Turn off some of your torches inside then you will be crying into your milk.

• Clovis says:

You should get plenty of challenge on the hardest difficult when you go spelunking. But yeah, no storming of fortresses right now. That’s the one thing that is really missing. Sure, you can make a castle and traps, but no one cares. I’m sure Notch will find a way to deal with that.

It will have to be something that ramps up over time though. Having a mob army come for my castle is great, but not when I’m in a little wooden house! Hmm … maybe the simple solution is for armies of mobs to be attracted to gold and diamond. BEfore you amass much of it, you need to get your defense sorted. Wow, that would be awesome!

43. Emphursis says:

“The comments on my last Mine The Gap post featured so many people offering sage advice about how they make sure they don’t lose their stuff while spelunking that I assumed that when you die, your inventory is gone forever. It’s not. It just gets scattered around you. For fucks sake! I could have launched a daring midnight raid to get my inventory back when I died the first time!”

That’s because they are pussy’s! Like the people that call it the scariest game ever. (Watch out for ‘Him’ by the way…)
    Dig straight down, attack a group of skeletons with an inventory full of diamond, swim the lava lakes! Why? Because you can get everything back in five minutes! And if you can’t find diamonds, walk a little way, because new ones will be generated in the new land!

Pussy’s.

Actually, I did wonder why you didn’t retrieve your stuff, until I got to that quote.

• laikapants says:

While it definitely isn’t the scariest thing ever, the combination of the cave sounds and forgetting to properly light up the place can lead to a fair number of scares. My biggest scare came while I was peacefully mining some iron ore above a lava flow. Didn’t realize that bit of ore was the last block before a giant chasm full of skeletons. As I’d been alone for the last hour, suddenly getting shot in the face (which then knocked me into lava) did send a massive jolt of pants wetting-ness through me for a moment. Oh and that was back before autosaves and respawns, so that bastard cost me 2 sodding hours of mining.

44. benjamin says:

Ahhhhh! Still struggling with the temptation to buy. Went on the Minecraft wiki and forums yesterday, now oly a matter of time I fear

45. MonkeyMonster says:

Holy Crapola… So I had bored more than a few tunnels slowly getting bits of iron and coal then thought right buggerit lets go exploring up top looking for a cave. Classic oh what’s that about 5 steps from my front door. A chuffin MAHOOSIVE hole. Its got lava and everything. Going down and down and down. Already far deep down I thought – whats that further glow I can see… Hole in cavern floor and it goes even deeper than I had deemed possible. Silly grin face :D

• Feste says:

It’s that moment when you break through and the lava starts inching towards you that’s the best bit. You run away but can still see the glow advancing down the corridor.

I keep on waiting to bump into a creature of smoke and shadow.

46. a.simons613 says:

Bought this game on Tuesday. It’s fucking awesome. The amount of depth the developers put into creative possibilities (clothes, doors, windows, etc) is incredible.

47. C_B says:

Tragically, powered minecarts were not powerful enough to push YOU back up a slope when they were first introduced – all they could manage was a lighter standard cart (or storage cart).

I don’t know if they’ve been upgraded since then, but i see disappointment in your future if you build a set of tracks in the hopes of a breezy commute to and fro…

48. Lucas says:

I just wrote this in the Day 2 comments, but you should probably play on normal difficulty.

49. FunkyBadger says:

Iron Quinns needs more iron?

50. Vae Victus says:

Just so you know, Quintin, if you hustle back to where you died you can grab all your stuff. Sometimes it’s scattered far and wide if you were blown up by a creeper but you can usually find most of it. It’s only a problem if you’re really far from your spawn when you die.

Comment on this story